Lackey and Beckett are boozebags.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ergoetal. Show Ergoetal's posts

Re: Lackey and Beckett are boozebags.

Good ole boys, I know.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In Response to Re: Lackey and Beckett are boozebags.:
    [QUOTE]Maybe cut off theior paychecks.  That'll get their attention. Meantime, this falls on LL.  Sorry, but it does. He's the president.  He decides what mgr to hire, and probably everything else Ben does.   Certainly he can tell Lackey and Becks -- or at least Lackey -- to stay home and out of the way.  And he can trade Becks for a bag of balls.  Not a great bag of balls, mind you, because of this year's performnance.  But maybe gently used Little League balls.
    Posted by Ergoetal[/QUOTE]

Actually, he can't.

PeteAbe #RedSox, in fact, kept Lackey in Ft. Myers as long as they were legally allowed to. Beyond that, the CBA rules apply.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ergoetal. Show Ergoetal's posts

Yeah, he can.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Shadowcpt. Show Shadowcpt's posts

Baseball and beer began it's association with Abner Doubleday. Some of our greatest ball players (the Babe for instance, but there are plenty more examples) loved beer. Drinking in the clubhouse had NOTHING to do with last years collapse. The Sox starting pictching collapsed and has not recovered with the exceptions of Buchholtz and Dubront. 

I've been following baseball since the early 60s and nothing this team or last years team has done comes anywhere close to some of the great teams of the past decades. Even our beloved 04 Sox loved to party - but did anybody rat them out when they saw them after the game downing a few or God forbid late at night at club? No, of course not.  This is totally b.s. story. If you don't know the history of the game and its culture, do some reading and have a cold one. 

The only reason this is a story is because it involves John Lackey who the majority of the fan base despise because of his lack of success as a Red Sox pitcher. If the Sox were winning and even if it was Lackey, this incident would not have been reported. You can dislike Lackey and the performance of the Sox this season but it has nothing to do with beer after a game or hanging out at a club. 

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

[QUOTE]Send Lackey home and get rid of him.  Valentine may actually be gone from the  clubhouse before Lackey. Cherington may be the most ineffectual gm in history.  How could he allow Lackey to even be around?
    Posted by concord27[/QUOTE]

Definitely agree with you.  Why is Lackey allowed to travel with the team?  I can't stand the thoughts of having Lackey and Beckett both as part of this pitching staff next season.  Hopefully, one or both of them will be traded before next season. 

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Motown9009. Show Motown9009's posts

I'm more concerned with Lackey being around period. The guy's a jerk. That's not the Boston media making up stories, he was a jerk with the Angels and he's been a jerk here. He's poison and his attitude seems to be rubbing off on other players.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from antibody. Show antibody's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Lackey and Beckett are boozebags. : Actually, he can't. PeteAbe #RedSox, in fact, kept Lackey in Ft. Myers as long as they were legally allowed to. Beyond that, the CBA rules apply.
    Posted by ThefourBs[/QUOTE]

Hey, I live near Ft. Myers, don't send him here. Unless he's buying.

Seriously, I agree with Shadowcpt. The way this has been portrayed is that it's just Lackey and Beckett who are doing this. If beer is present in the clubhouse after games, does anyone really believe that it's just those two who are drinking it? Certainly not. I can't accept that a few beers has caused the team to falter the way it has this year. To suggest that the problems with the team started with beer in the clubhouse and worked their way upward until they reached the front office is, to put it mildly, simplistic. Troubles like those on the Sox these days, IMO, began at the top levels of management and started long before last September. Breakdowns at the field level, I feel, are due more to questionable organizational philosophies than any players enjoying a beverage after a game. Fans need to stop buying in to the media driven frenzy that  attempts to make scapegoats out of a few players and place responsibility where it belongs. Upper management.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

In school and in many businesses , there are students or employees who have to be separated. Kept away from each other. Apparently , Beckett and Lester are in that category. The only way to do it is to get rid of one of them. Better yet , get rid of both of them.  I am fed up with hearing about them , and tired of some fans continuing to defend them. Enough is enough.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

[QUOTE]In school and in many businesses , there are students or employees who have to be separated. Kept away from each other. Apparently , Beckett and Lester are in that category. The only way to do it is to get rid of one of them. Better yet , get rid of both of them.  I am fed up with hearing about them , and tired of some fans continuing to defend them. Enough is enough.
    Posted by dgalehouse[/QUOTE]

I don't know where you work, but in the adult world, you do your job, whether you like the guy you're working with or not.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

[QUOTE]Kevin Kaduk, Big League Stew: Luckily, there have been plenty of reasonable people pointing out how ridiculous Haggerty's criticism and perception is. My favorite came from my colleague Dave Brown who said, tongue in cheek, "Hey, one of those beers could have been to cheer a teammate up!" Here's the bottom line, though: If baseball's beat writers were to start writing articles about each player that had a few beers in a losing clubhouse, there wouldn't be very much time for anything else. Postgame drinking is neither good nor bad; it's just a fact of life in a universe where going out for an after-work drink is a lot more difficult than it is for the average joe. I'd expect that a writer following the team would be pretty familiar with that. After all, the all-consuming big league baseball schedule means that you often see players doing a variety of everyday activities at their locker stalls, from playing handheld video games to Internet shopping to paying bills. While I'm not the biggest fan of players continuing those activities when their teammates are out playing on the field during the game, it's more or less an accepted part of the code. And, really, it's accepted by the majority of us who apply logic and not the disappointment of following a losing team to the situation. The only time it seems to become an issue is whenever the Red Sox put together a disappointing season. Why is that?
    Posted by Calzone65[/QUOTE]

You aren't getting the point.  I could care less if they drink beer.   My point is that supposedly Valentine said they couldn't.  But they are.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Lackey and Beckett are boozebags. : I don't know where you work, but in the adult world, you do your job, whether you like the guy you're working with or not.
    Posted by ThefourBs[/QUOTE]
    In the adult fantasy world maybe. Not in the real world. In the real world there are many unproductive and disruptive employees.  If they are not dealt with , they will harm the company.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

[QUOTE]In school and in many businesses , there are students or employees who have to be separated. Kept away from each other. Apparently , Beckett and Lester are in that category. The only way to do it is to get rid of one of them. Better yet , get rid of both of them.  I am fed up with hearing about them , and tired of some fans continuing to defend them. Enough is enough.

Gale, with all due respect, the fans you're "fed up with hearing' from, are the ones who believe everything that's been said, written and then some. The ones you're tired of defending them, aren't defending their actions, as much as what exactly is perception vs reality.  It's turned into a media feeding frenzy, that's taken on a life of it's own. Everyone is entitled to decide for themselves what they chose to believe to be true, but in actuality, no one other than those in the organization, actually know.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Lackey and Beckett are boozebags. : Hey, I live near Ft. Myers, don't send him here. Unless he's buying. Seriously, I agree with Shadowcpt. The way this has been portrayed is that it's just Lackey and Beckett who are doing this. If beer is present in the clubhouse after games, does anyone really believe that it's just those two who are drinking it? Certainly not. I can't accept that a few beers has caused the team to falter the way it has this year. To suggest that the problems with the team started with beer in the clubhouse and worked their way upward until they reached the front office is, to put it mildly, simplistic. Troubles like those on the Sox these days, IMO, began at the top levels of management and started long before last September. Breakdowns at the field level, I feel, are due more to questionable organizational philosophies than any players enjoying a beverage after a game. Fans need to stop buying in to the media driven frenzy that  attempts to make scapegoats out of a few players and place responsibility where it belongs. Upper management.
    Posted by antibody[/QUOTE]

Again I don't think this is the point.  I don't care who is doing it. I don't care if they drink.  My point is more Bobby V and the Red sox making a big deal out of the culture change that Valentine was going to instill.

It's just a bunch of BS.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Lackey and Beckett are boozebags. : Gale, with all due respect, the fans youre "fed up with hearing' from are the ones who believe everything thats been said, written and more. The ones youre tired of defending them, arent defending their actions, as much as what exactly is perception vs reality.  It's turned into a media feeding frenzy, that's taken on a life of it's own. Everyone is entitled to decide for themselves what they chose to believe to be true, but in actuality, no one other than those in the organization actually do.
    Posted by J-BAY[/QUOTE]

It is my opinion that what we have heard is just the tip of the iceberg. It is pretty obvious that there is something wrong with this team. More and more the evidence points to Beckett and Lackey as bad apples. I think if they were gone , you would see an improved Lester , and a better all around atmosphere.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Lackey and Beckett are boozebags. : It is my opinion that what we have heard is just the tip of the iceberg. It is pretty obvious that there is something wrong with this team. More and more the evidence points to Beckett and Lackey as bad apples. I think if they were gone , you would see an improved Lester , and a better all around atmosphere.

Fair enough. I agree, there is something drastically wrong. To go from the best team last year to this, is hard to wrap your arms around. I'm a firm believer, where there's smoke, there's fire. However, what is fueling the fire may be as much to blame, if not more. The media took hold and won't let go. My feeling is, it goes farther and deeper than a few players or beers. The fact is, no one knows more than what happens on the field. The off season and who remains on the 2013 roster, should tell some of the story

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from antibody. Show antibody's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Lackey and Beckett are boozebags. : Again I don't think this is the point.  I don't care who is doing it. I don't care if they drink.  My point is more Bobby V and the Red sox making a big deal out of the culture change that Valentine was going to instill. It's just a bunch of BS.
    Posted by snakeoil123[/QUOTE]

I see what you are saying. My point is that this is one small part of  the organizational breakdown which permeates the team, top to bottom. So BV either didn't really mean what he said or he can't control his players. Either way it's part of a systemic failure. Also, the fact is that the media has latched on to this and tries to steer fans toward blaming players and the manager rather than put any heat on upper management, where the bulk of the responsibility lies.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

In reply to the title of the thread ...

just like Babe Ruth, Mickey Mantle and scores of other players from days the so-called good ol' days.

It's kind of funny. Many posters lament for the good ol' days  when players played for the "love of the game" and played the game "the right way" etc. etc. etc., but it was very common for players to drink beer in the clubhouse back in those good ol' days.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

[QUOTE]In reply to the title of the thread ... just like Babe Ruth, Mickey Mantle and scores of other players from days the so-called good ol' days. It's kind of funny. Many posters lament for the good ol' days  when players played for the "love of the game" and played the game "the right way" etc. etc. etc., but it was very common for players to drink beer in the clubhouse back in those good ol' days.
    Posted by royf19[/QUOTE]

Right.  But again.  I don't care if they are drinking. In fact I am massively hung over right now.  

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from CA_Sox. Show CA_Sox's posts

[QUOTE]Baseball and beer began it's association with Abner Doubleday. Some of our greatest ball players (the Babe for instance, but there are plenty more examples) loved beer. Drinking in the clubhouse had NOTHING to do with last years collapse. The Sox starting pictching collapsed and has not recovered with the exceptions of Buchholtz and Dubront.  I've been following baseball since the early 60s and nothing this team or last years team has done comes anywhere close to some of the great teams of the past decades. Even our beloved 04 Sox loved to party - but did anybody rat them out when they saw them after the game downing a few or God forbid late at night at club? No, of course not.  This is totally b.s. story. If you don't know the history of the game and its culture, do some reading and have a cold one.  The only reason this is a story is because it involves John Lackey who the majority of the fan base despise because of his lack of success as a Red Sox pitcher. If the Sox were winning and even if it was Lackey, this incident would not have been reported. You can dislike Lackey and the performance of the Sox this season but it has nothing to do with beer after a game or hanging out at a club. 
    Posted by Shadowcpt[/QUOTE]

Finally someone with a clear head... so the guy was having a beer AFTER the game ....you people are like old ladies ready to jump on the slighest thing to make a mountain out of a molehill.....yeah we get that you all hate Lackey and Beckett... we get it....

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

Drinking, per se, has never been the issue.  If guys had been performing to their expected level, and drinking a few beers after a game, nobody would have ever questioned it!!!  BUT that's not what happened....

The RS starting rotation had an epic collapse last year.  While in the process of said collapse, we find out that starting pitchers were not only drinking in the clubhouse, DURING GAME TIME, but also bringing it out onto the bench.  These guys were clearly not taking their jobs seriously, and THEY made beer an issue.  The s hit hit the fan, & ownership promised changes.  We were lead to believe that this would not be happening this year.  The second major issue with respect to drinking beer was how it might be contributing to our SP staying in shape, thus avoiding needless injuries.  Beckett and Lackey are the two biggest culprits with respect to not staying in shape.  Both look soft & out of shape!  Both seem to be very injury prone.  Both clearly like their beer, which certainly adds loads of extra calories neither seem to have the discipline to burn off.  Might there be a connection between being out of shape, continued flaunting of the beer, & continued issues with injury?  Absolutely.  We intuitively know that staying in shape helps avoid injury. These two aren't in good shape. Still a third issues is involved. It seems both Beckett & Lackey find this whole thing to be a big joke, thus the hanging of a bottle opener between their locker??

At this point, I could really care less what either of these two do. Both are done as RS players. Neither will be back next year. Both have thrown in the towel, & are surely trying to stick it up our arsses. Good for them! They have zero respect for themselves, & clearly don't give a rats arss about their legacies. Certainly not their legacy with the RS.

THEY BOTH MUST GO!  Beckett should be dealt before the end of the season, to a team in contention that needs one more pitcher.  We should be able to get something for him, despite his attroscious season+.  Lackey should be outright released!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Lackey and Beckett are boozebags. : Finally someone with a clear head... so the guy was having a beer AFTER the game ....you people are like old ladies ready to jump on the slighest thing to make a mountain out of a molehill.....yeah we get that you all hate Lackey and Beckett... we get it....
    Posted by CA_Sox[/QUOTE]

It is amazing how many people are missing the point.  This is about Bobby V being either spineless or a hypocrite.  It has nothing to do with Lackey.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

[QUOTE]Nick Cafardo ‏ @ nickcafardo Red Sox players are allowed to drink beer AFTER the game on the road with their postgame meal. Not a big deal folks.
    Posted by rightymclefty[/QUOTE]

Really? Laughing it up, being in bars until 2AM. Really? How can you defend these guys?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from 86redsox. Show 86redsox's posts

great diet idea for fat cat--win a game, you get to drink. Lose-get on the treadmill.
    if these 2 clowns HAD real jobs, they would've been canned a while ago.