Lackey and Crawford on the rise!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Lackey and Crawford on the rise!

No apologies or "maybe I spoke too soon" posts yet from the critics.

Bash all you want, but admit it when you were wrong.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Re: Lackey and Crawford on the rise!

In Response to Lackey and Crawford on the rise!:
    [QUOTE]No apologies or "maybe I spoke too soon" posts yet from the critics. Bash all you want, but admit it when you were wrong.
    Posted by ZILLAGOD[/QUOTE]

The bashers have not been proven wrong yet Zil.  You know, that pesky sample size thing.  But the thing that is too bad for them is that, since they have spent so much time backing themselves into a corner pummeling these guys, they can't even appreciate it when they start playing well.  

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

If your "sample size" on Crawford includes the 10 years in Tampa Bay , I'd say the more recent (July/August) sample is a better yardstick than the earlier ( April/May) sample.

And for Lackey the "sample size" now stretches back to his last 10 starts...where I believe he has only 2 losses.

What do these guys have to do? Balance spinning plates on their heads while playing?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

The people dumping on Crawford don't know what they are talking about.  He had a real bad April, when he batted .155, but since then, he's been really good.  His batting Average since May 1 is .288, slightly below his career average.

He was hurt in July, when he hit .250, otherwise his batting average would .295.  For August, he's batting .294.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In Response to Re: Lackey and Crawford on the rise!:
    [QUOTE]If your "sample size" on Crawford includes the 10 years in Tampa Bay , I'd say the more recent (July/August) sample is a better yardstick than the earlier ( April/May) sample. And for Lackey the "sample size" now stretches back to his last 10 starts...where I believe he has only 2 losses. What do these guys have to do? Balance spinning plates on their heads while playing?

Agreed on both points Zill.  the Crawford point more than the Lackey.  But agreed on both.  No doubt Craford has had a bad season.  But, you have to really want to trash the guy, or you really have to have not paid attention to his career to this point, if you assume that Carl's season is not an abberration.  Hopefully, these recent days will give him the confidence he needs to get out of his head and let Carl be Carl for the rest of the year.  Sure will make the sox tough in october.

Lackey, while certainly he has been almost-kinda-sorta solid, is still verdict-out to me.  I am not frightened when he takes the hill on any given night.  But i also still feel like its a crap shoot.  He has gotten some real good run support, or else his W-L in his past 10 might be a bit different.  But, he is keeping the club in all these games.  And, at this point, I think that is the best we are going to get from John.  Maybe the occasional really fine outing, balanced out by the occasional thrashing.

As to the plates, I would buy season tickets at Fenway if these guys could play high-calibre baseball and spin plates on their heads simultaneously.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimdavis. Show jimdavis's posts

I love that both are playing much better.  A certain cross section of the fans act like they are mad both have struggled.  In reality, many are secretly happy about it.  You can see it in the posts.  Any success is met with a backhanded compliment or another reason for the success.  If CC goes 0-4 he is terrible.  If he goes 3-4 the pitching must have been horrible.  It gets old.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

[QUOTE]The people dumping on Crawford don't know what they are talking about.  He had a real bad April, when he batted .155, but since then, he's been really good.  His batting Average since May 1 is .288, slightly below his career average. He was hurt in July, when he hit .250, otherwise his batting average would .295.  For August, he's batting .294.
    Posted by DirtyWaterLover[/QUOTE]

thats sounds like truth and logic....haters be damned.  Crawford shouldn't have much to prove, he's put up a big career and done it in the AL east against Boston and NY...he's having a down year and people are acting like he is going to hit .250 for the rest of his career. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from theYAZZER. Show theYAZZER's posts

of course you band wagon jumpers are right.
    SLACKEY'S ERA is 5.98
    JD CRAWFORD'S OBP is .290.

they're being paid a total of 36+ million/year.
    hell, what's there to 'bash' about?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxFan2OO4. Show RedSoxFan2OO4's posts

[QUOTE]of course you band wagon jumpers are right. SLACKEY'S ERA is 5.98 JD CRAWFORD'S OBP is .290. they're being paid a total of 36+ million/year. hell, what's there to 'bash' about?
    Posted by theYAZZER[/QUOTE]

Possibly one of the most ignorant, poorly put together posts on this forum from a person that doesn't have SOFT in their name.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]of course you band wagon jumpers are right. SLACKEY'S ERA is 5.98 JD CRAWFORD'S OBP is .290. they're being paid a total of 36+ million/year. hell, what's there to 'bash' about?
     I think the point is that there has been more than plenty to bash about.  Nice to have a little something to cheer about.  

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from <()>The-Babe<()>. Show <()>The-Babe<()>'s posts

[QUOTE]If your "sample size" on Crawford includes the 10 years in Tampa Bay , I'd say the more recent (July/August) sample is a better yardstick than the earlier ( April/May) sample. And for Lackey the "sample size" now stretches back to his last 10 starts...where I believe he has only 2 losses. What do these guys have to do? Balance spinning plates on their heads while playing?

And I'd say that the April to August sample size is the better yardstick.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from theYAZZER. Show theYAZZER's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Lackey and Crawford on the rise! : Possibly one of the most ignorant, poorly put together posts on this forum from a person that doesn't have SOFT in their name.
    Posted by RedSoxFan2OO4[/QUOTE]

thank you.

btw, what team did you follow before 2004?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from theYAZZER. Show theYAZZER's posts

they must also ride unicycles while spinning the plates on their heads.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

I said in a post last week and glad to hear CC feels the same way.....and hope Lackey does also...do well in September and the PS and help the Sox win a WS and it will not matter one bit what your total season stats were. Heck, if JDD had a big September against the Yankees and helped us win the Division and WS, I would even pat him on the back on his way out the door.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

I'd give Lackey the nod of who is doing better of the two. Look, CC deserves every bit of criticism he's received, except for what jd said was getting  3-for-4 v a lousy pitcher (anytime I hear someone dis a pitcher who throws well v weak team, or a hitter has a big game v a weak team, it's just wrong to be unhappy with that type of performance...you want them to do well no matter who you are playing, and you can't just expect automatic great performances v a lousy team. It never works that way). 

Carl Crawford, 9 HR, 46 RBI, .255....he is averaging 66 points below last year's OBP, 52 points lower than his BAVG, 99 points lower in his slugging percentage...he was 7th in MVP voting last year...7th, that is supposed to mean
    we should expect a little more from CC than this paltry offensive display, not to mention some very shoddy fielding. You think I don't want CC to do well? Bullshoy. I want him to exemplify even an iota of a reason why the Sox spent 142 million dollars for him over 7 years. That's an investment that puts him on the radar. Trying to find good in his "rise" isn't cutting it. He needs to put on a power display, and hit .440 the rest of the way and playoffs...and get on the damn highlight reel on defense (has he had a highlight reel catch all season?) He used to be on every night with Tampa. He had 13 triples last year, 19 homers last year, 90 RBI last year, 47 stolen bases, and he needs another 30 just to match last year (not going to happen there and that supposed to be a strong suit of his--steals). 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from PetesCall. Show PetesCall's posts

We can't change what Carl's done so far, but I really think a lot of it has to do with Coma putting him at the bottom of the order...basically treating him like a has-been. Nonetheless, he does appear to be coming out of his own self-inflicted coma and swinging a much better bat.If that continues, it bodes REAL WELL for the Sox in post-season.  It seems to me, on the fielding side, that he has performed OK...nothing spectacular.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimdavis. Show jimdavis's posts

[QUOTE]We can't change what Carl's done so far, but I really think a lot of it has to do with Coma putting him at the bottom of the order...basically treating him like a has-been. Nonetheless, he does appear to be coming out of his own self-inflicted coma and swinging a much better bat.If that continues, it bodes REAL WELL for the Sox in post-season.  It seems to me, on the fielding side, that he has performed OK...nothing spectacular.
    Posted by PetesCall[/QUOTE]

And cue the bash Tito music.  You same "coma" posters would be saying Tito SHOULD HAVE batted him down in the order because he was not hitting.  You feel the need to be right all the time.  Since he did move him down, you find a way to spin that as wrong.  You guys are unreal.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

If anything Tito has done everything he possibly could to help Crawford, including bat him down to take the pressure off, take some days off v some lefties, and even when he was struggling past few weeks during the injury-bug, he stuck with him thick and thin in the 5th slot or 6th slot. Tito has managed him better than anyone could. CC has to take responsibility for his own lack of hitting, no one else. There was a game v. NY, where CC decided not to steal a base v. Mariano Rivera in a game the Sox trailed by 1 run in the 9th and 2 outs, and Reddick up. There was the time that CC could have shown everyone why he is here. Instead he sat on 1st for 6 pitches, as Reddick eventually struck out looking. How or why he didn't go (maybe he was still nursing his hammy) is still a mystery to me.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

CRAWFORD IS BATTING 288 SINCE MAY 1.  CRAWFORD IS FINE.

Lackey, on the other hand, IS NOT improving. 

His ERA for August is in the mid 5s.  The only reason his ERA was below 5 for July was because he was facing the worst teams in the American league.  He faced Baltimore, Seatle, and KC - and he still posted an ERA in the mid 4s.  He got slaughtered by Toronto and should have gotten the loss against Tampa.

Lackey's terrible.  Who throws 7 straight balls with the bases loaded in the middle of a penant race?  He's terrible.  I have more faith in Miller and Wakefield.

Just because someone like Maz says Crawford is bad and Lackey is doing better doesn't make it so. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

[QUOTE]CRAWFORD IS BATTING 288 SINCE MAY 1.  CRAWFORD IS FINE. Lackey, on the other hand, IS NOT improving.  His ERA for August is in the mid 5s.  The only reason his ERA was below 5 for July was because he was facing the worst teams in the American league.  He faced Baltimore, Seatle, and KC - and he still posted an ERA in the mid 4s.  He got slaughtered by Toronto and should have gotten the loss against Tampa. Lackey's terrible.  Who throws 7 straight balls with the bases loaded in the middle of a penant race?  He's terrible.  I have more faith in Miller and Wakefield. Just because someone like Maz says Crawford is bad and Lackey is doing better doesn't make it so. 
    Posted by DirtyWaterLover[/QUOTE]

Jesus, you make me resort to defending Lackey. Last 8 starts, he's dropped his ERA, each start. Lower, not higher, incrementally. Did he throw well v. Texas? Well, he threw well enough, meaning he had the bad inning, gave up the 3 spot there. He had good defense, including himself, with 3 big plays by Lacks on the DP, Ellsbury on the over the shoulder grab, and Scutaro on a play up the middle. The umpire strikezone was kind of wacky, including some really questionable ball calls that looked like strikes. He left the game with a lead, he left the game having allowed 4 ER in 6-2/3 innings. In the last 25 1/3 innings or last 4 starts, he's pitched 6 or better innings in each, he's allowed 4 runs twice, 3 runs twice (earned and unearned combined). If you go off of ERA, which Bean clearly showed is not a great indicator for SPs anymore as 4.5 to 5 can still be regarded as a good start due to the lower length of innings pitched. 9 IP is no longer a barometer...you can make a case that it's 7 IP, and ERAs based on 7 IP. If you did that everyone's ERA changes. Ever since the July 4 debacle v. Toronto (hell, I asked for his removal from the rotation that day), he's been pretty outstanding if you ask me. His overall record 7-2 (not that it matters), 
    The 9 STARTS: ER IN ORDER: 0, 3, 1, 3, 5, 3, 4, 3, 4 and his average IP in that stretch...6 1/3 IP average...AVERAGE and not a single game below 5-2/3...his whip continues to be a problem, no question, but he is not allowing the runners to score, WHICH MEANS HE IS DOING HIS JOB. CC is not doing his job, and if he is doing his job, he's not doing at 142 MIL for 7 YR rate, he's having a terrible, terrible, terrible season, and it is not just hitting, it's stealing and outfield defense that has suffered as well. Lackey gives you a streak of consistency since July 4....CC has given us a headache, who only in the past few games has shown some life again.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

Agree that they are both playing better.  Lackey has definitely pitched better lately and hopefully this continues for the remainder of the season and into the playoffs.  Crawford definitely has been better lately.  I still believe he is just having a down year and will be much better next season.   During his professional career he was always a much better player than how he has been this season. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Your-Echo. Show Your-Echo's posts

Cater wanted a guarantee that CC would have  a typical CC year here. He feels entitled. Sounds childish to me. Loyal fans aren't spoiled and feel entitled. It is obvious that CC is having a disappointed year but what makes Cater think that we are blind to that fact. Preaching to the choir is symtomatic of a unintelligent person or someone who is looking for attention.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

[QUOTE]Cater wanted a guarantee that CC would have  a typical CC year here. He feels entitled. Sounds childish to me. Loyal fans aren't spoiled and feel entitled. It is obvious that CC is having a disappointed year but what makes Cater think that we are blind to that fact. Preaching to the choir is symtomatic of a unintelligent person or someone who is looking for attention.
    Posted by Your-Echo[/QUOTE]

Pike - meet truth.

Can Pike handle his own truth?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

Before this season, Crawford was a career .296 / .337 / .444 hitter.  Since May 25, he is hitting .292 / .326 / .486.  I guess we could dwell heavily that he has been getting on base 1% less often, but otherwise those are pretty identical numbers.

But more important, do people have to cling to the first 6 weeks as if they are the entire season? 

And yet – here is the ironic part.  The same people who cannot overcome Crawford’s slow start and insist April is still an important and relevant part of his season (by citing his .290 OBP) are the same ones stressing how much more important the August games are.  So Crawford does poorly in the less important games, turns it back on for the more important ones, and is still doomed by the slow start?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

notin, i respect your posts, you are one of the more intelligent posters here. However, really that's 2 months worth of bad hitting (DL list too), if covers 46 games and that's  more than 1/4 of the season. Even if you factor in his "norms" over his career, he's getting 2 free passes by you and others...1. he is getting a free pass for 46 games, you use May 25, a 4-for-4 game as the start point of him getting to his norms 2. he is getting a free pass for games played Aug 9 to 19, and a free pass for games played between July 25-31...two horrific stretches of poor batting. Let's get real here. He's actually had 3 months combined of dreadful hitting and 1-1/2 months of ok to good hitting. That's why his numbers are down, and that's why taking splits from May 25 is kind of cherry-picking.

Sections
Shortcuts