Lackey and/or Dempster WILL be traded this offseason

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Lackey and/or Dempster WILL be traded this offseason

We have plenty of young starters that are currently at AAA, and one Henry Owens (who I will see pitch Sunday) Should be in AAA sometime next year.

Workman is ready, Webster and Ranaudo are next up, Barnes and Owens after that.

Buch is ours until 2017 if we want. lester option WILL be picked up and possibly extended next year. Doubie hasnt reached arbitration yet. Peavy will be here thru 2014 as well. Those 4 are here to stay. John Lackey has a very friendly deal with the league minimum for 2015. Dempsters contract is movable. Even if we have to eat a few Million of it, there are probaly a few teams that would take him to eat some innings.

One of them will be moved this winter. probably not both, but Im still leaving that possibility open.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from raider3524. Show raider3524's posts

Re: Lackey and/or Dempster WILL be traded this offseason

i hope dempster...he's a nice guy but he would be better in the NL....

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

Remember pitching it the most important part of the game today.  Cant trade both away and just bring in young guys who havent pitch a game at the major league level yet.

But I think Dempster is gone cuz Boston want to free up some money to pay Lester when they hope to pick up his option.   Lackey have to be back.  He is having his best year ever, and it is hard to find a pitcher that have so much confidence in himself just like Lackey.   I do hope that Lackey do come back!!! 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to GoUconn13's comment:

Remember pitching it the most important part of the game today.  Cant trade both away and just bring in young guys who havent pitch a game at the major league level yet.

But I think Dempster is gone cuz Boston want to free up some money to pay Lester when they hope to pick up his option.   Lackey have to be back.  He is having his best year ever, and it is hard to find a pitcher that have so much confidence in himself just like Lackey.   I do hope that Lackey do come back!!! 

Thats why I said probably only one will be gone. I just left the possibility there, although it's a low probablility.

If they are looking to just free up salary, then Dempster is the guy. If they are looking to fill in another area and are looking for a decent return, lackey is the guy.

Youre going to get a much better return with Lackey seeing he has 2 years and about 16.5M left.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

the answer to the question depends on who they have in mind to bring in.. Lackey obviously has MUCH MUCH more trade value so if BC has a trade for a good 1Bman in the works then lackey would probably be the one to go. If BC has a FA in mind that will require a bit more money then Dempster will be traded in a salary dump deal for a marginal prospect.

My preference is to get rod of dempster. It was a good offseason move considering we didn't know what we were going to get from lackey, doobie, lester and Buch and needed at least 1 guy who could eat innings. Dempster fit the bill. but obviously the circumstances have changed and Dempster is the odd man out going forward. deal him and use the money saved to bring in Corey Hart on a 1 year deal.

Some say a storm is coming, Some say the end is near.

Some think it's all so hazy, I think it's all so clear.

Some say they have the answers, some say they know the truth.

Some people live in question, some people have no clue.

If there was no tomorrow, if there was just today.

would you make different choices? or would you stay the same?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

Dempster?  Possibly

Lackey?  NO WAY IN HELL!  We own the guy for short money, & he's pitched one UNBELIEVABLE SEASON!!!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to mef429's comment:

the answer to the question depends on who they have in mind to bring in.. Lackey obviously has MUCH MUCH more trade value so if BC has a trade for a good 1Bman in the works then lackey would probably be the one to go. If BC has a FA in mind that will require a bit more money then Dempster will be traded in a salary dump deal for a marginal prospect.

My preference is to get rod of dempster. It was a good offseason move considering we didn't know what we were going to get from lackey, doobie, lester and Buch and needed at least 1 guy who could eat innings. Dempster fit the bill. but obviously the circumstances have changed and Dempster is the odd man out going forward. deal him and use the money saved to bring in Corey Hart on a 1 year deal.

I see you agree with me on looking at Corey Hart for a 1yr make good deal.

Unless Milw. extends him regardless of an injury filled year, I would most def make a play for him.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

We have plenty of young starters that are currently at AAA, and one Henry Owens (who I will see pitch Sunday) Should be in AAA sometime next year.

Workman is ready, Webster and Ranaudo are next up, Barnes and Owens after that.

Buch is ours until 2017 if we want. lester option WILL be picked up and possibly extended next year. Doubie hasnt reached arbitration yet. Peavy will be here thru 2014 as well. Those 4 are here to stay. John Lackey has a very friendly deal with the league minimum for 2015. Dempsters contract is movable. Even if we have to eat a few Million of it, there are probaly a few teams that would take him to eat some innings.

One of them will be moved this winter. probably not both, but Im still leaving that possibility open.

If Dempster is traded, the Red Sox will have to eat salary. If it's Lackey, no because his average salary would be in the $8.5M range.

9. This post has been removed.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

Hard to judge the real value of Lackey on the trade market. Yes he has a very friendly contract for next year, but I believe that his contract expires after 2014, as does Dempster's. A one year rental of John Lackey is unlikely to bring us a high quality prospect in return. He is far more likely to be effective next year, so its probably best to get rid of Dempster and eat some of his contract if we are looking to put the best possible team on the field next year.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazyworldoftroybrown. Show crazyworldoftroybrown's posts

Neither, what GM wants old Pitchers with Big Contracts. If I was GM , I would move Buchholz. He has potential, but cant last a full season. Hurts Club in too many ways.Could be a great trade, if evaluations are good.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonfan191646. Show bostonfan191646's posts

buchholz, peavy, lester, lackey, doubront/rookie. that, my friends, is a WS caliber staff. doubront can be an amazing bullpen arm if one of the kids really impresses.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

[QUOTE]

I see you agree with me on looking at Corey Hart for a 1yr make good deal.

Unless Milw. extends him regardless of an injury filled year, I would most def make a play for him.

[/QUOTE]

yeah i like Hart. during the offseason i made a thread about potential 1Bman for 2013 and beyond and had Hart very high on my list. Even if the Brewers make him an offer do you really think thye could offer more than the sox? also what is more appealing to a player? a small market team going nowhere or a large market with a competitive team and playing half your games in fenway?

i believe he would accept a 1 year deal and look to cash in the following season. he is 31 or 32 so if i was him, i'd totally sign a 1 year deal in a good park and then hit FA the next season and sign a 2-4 year deal that would take me to the end of my career.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bisson1. Show Bisson1's posts

Dempster will be the next guy to be traded to the Pirates then magically be good again.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:

[QUOTE]

Hard to judge the real value of Lackey on the trade market. Yes he has a very friendly contract for next year, but I believe that his contract expires after 2014, as does Dempster's. A one year rental of John Lackey is unlikely to bring us a high quality prospect in return. He is far more likely to be effective next year, so its probably best to get rid of Dempster and eat some of his contract if we are looking to put the best possible team on the field next year.

[/QUOTE]

Lackey's contract expires after 2015, not 2014.  And the last year is for the league minimum, thans to an incentive clausein his contract as protection against elbow problems.

Lackey could have some very good value n a trade.  The Sox might want to consider this an opportunity to sell high on a pitcher who has done very little in his 3 previous seasons...

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

Fellas!   It's absolutely insane to even be discussing trading Lackey at this point!!!!  I can't believe I just said that!!!!!!!!   Especially after bashing him so since he stepped foot in Boson.

The guy has been AWESOME this year.  Did that just come out of my mouth?  Well..... He has!  Love the guy!  What a turn-around!  Perhaps the biggest turn around EVER!!!  In mlb history!  Oh calm down!  What the hell is wrong with a little hyperbole?  Anyway......  He seriously has been a rock this season, & a HUGE key to the turnaround of the Red Sox!  In fact.....   He's a living, breathing, walking, throwing, metaphor for this season.

Lackey stays!  He stays in 2014!!!!!!   Unless he stumbles, in which case I reserve the right to turn on him like a rabid dog!  We keep him until 2015, pay him the league min. & he tanks.  Then we can all have fun feeding him to the lions.  Until that point?  We ride him 'til he drops!

The dog  

Dempster?  Ughhhhhh!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

Is Softy alive and well and posting again?  This is a Softy idea:  We have someone who's playing very well and we're not paying much money, so we should trade him NOW to get someone who may not help us as much but we can pay more.

I'm not disupting the fact that Dempster is overpaid but as a pitcher he is what he is.  IMO we should be grateful that we have a #5 pitcher who's averaging a ~QS every time out.  Now, if you want to pay a little less money that's understandable, but recognize that if you do that you're probably going to have a #5 by committee who's going to have a higher ERA so he probably won't pitch as many innings.  You do tend to get what you pay for.

Lackey?  Lackey?  You're really contemplating trading Lackey?  This guy is coming back off elbow surgery and is pitching better than he ever did AND his average salary over the next two years is, in a word, CHEAP.   

He's second on the team in IP (155)  this year and has the 3rd best ERA on the team for SP's behind only Buch and Peavy.  He also has the 3rd best WHIP for SP this season behind, again, Buch and Peavy. This means you can arguably say he's been the best pitcher on the team for the entire duration of the season.  And over the next two years he's going to be CHEAP. 

Unless we want to become a farm team for the rest of the league, Lackey is exactly the kind of player we should be KEEPING.

Having the right to do something doesn't make it the right thing to do.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from garyhow. Show garyhow's posts

Remember last time we thought we had too much starting pitching? Traded B.Arroyo for Wily Mo and that trade is probably worst trade we've made since. Never ever have too much starting pitching and why everyone is always looking for starters. If young guys develope, there are alway bumps in the road and injuries to worry about. Even this yr w/ Lester, Lackey having great bounce back yrs, Doubront taking the next step and Workman filling in fine, we still needed to get a starter at TD. Dempster at his age would be perfect candidate to go to pen as long man and if injuries or in effectiveness by others could step in to rotation and be an effective starter at 36 probably 30 starts are thing of the past. Lackey has pitched great and been RS most effective starter all year and very cost effective next 2 yrs, so why would you move now?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to notin's comment:

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:

Lackey's contract expires after 2015, not 2014.  And the last year is for the league minimum, thans to an incentive clausein his contract as protection against elbow problems.

Lackey could have some very good value n a trade.  The Sox might want to consider this an opportunity to sell high on a pitcher who has done very little in his 3 previous seasons...

Got it. I misread the details of his contract. Next year he earns $15.25M, but the year after that he can be paid the league minimum (that will be great for his attitude I am sure).

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

yeah i like Hart. during the offseason i made a thread about potential 1Bman for 2013 and beyond and had Hart very high on my list. Even if the Brewers make him an offer do you really think thye could offer more than the sox? also what is more appealing to a player? a small market team going nowhere or a large market with a competitive team and playing half your games in fenway?

i believe he would accept a 1 year deal and look to cash in the following season. he is 31 or 32 so if i was him, i'd totally sign a 1 year deal in a good park and then hit FA the next season and sign a 2-4 year deal that would take me to the end of my career.

Hart could be interesting on a make-good type of contract.  Take the Cody Ross path.  Have a good year in a hitter's park, then sucker a team like AZ to pay you like that's your normal year.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Got it. I misread the details of his contract. Next year he earns $15.25M, but the year after that he can be paid the league minimum (that will be great for his attitude I am sure).

I agree he has a great attitude, but I don't see how his contract would help, other than the usual pitching for your next contract incentive.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bisson1. Show Bisson1's posts

So much MLB ready talent (or close to it) in the Sox farm system. Makes you wonder if a big trade could be coming this winter.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I think Dempster gets traded as we eat $3-5M of his deal.

I think we may rework Lackey's deal to spread out the salary hit on the luxury limit. We may even add a year to his deal. I can't see him being too happy playing a full season at the league minimum, despite the fact that he got paid over $15M to sit out a year with the injury. It could be a win-win. Keep Lackey happy.  Reduce the 2014 salary hit on the luxury limit. And, maybe get Lackey for an extra year at low cost (relatively).

Sox4ever

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Trading Lackey seems like a very bad idea at the moment.

Sections
Shortcuts