Lackey/Buchholz flip.....

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

Lackey/Buchholz flip.....

Might be a good idea for games 2 and 3, dont mind seeing it there. My question revovles around a possible game 7. If it comes to that, it will be Lackey vs Verlander. Not as confident there, but maybe this is Farrell's way of saying he thinks his team can wrap this up in 5 or 6? But then again, maybe Lackey will dig in and match Verlander if there is a game 7. Id rather win in 6 to save myself the stress, Lackey or whoever.......

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxnewmex. Show soxnewmex's posts

Re: Lackey/Buchholz flip.....

Pitching Lackey twice makes absolutely no sense to me; Lester Buch and Peavy should each pitch twice in a 7 game series, all three are simply better pitchers than Lackey, especially lately which is what counts.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

Lets hope we can wrap it up in 5-6 and not have to worry about it.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

.....and that rotation also means Peavy would only pitch once, unless he came back on short rest for 7. Insanity.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

Lackey has been the least effective of the four starters. Therefore, he should pitch game four. There is no logical reason to do otherwise. That he has pitched better at Fenway than on the road is probably just coincidental. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

In response to dgalehouse's comment:

Lackey has been the least effective of the four starters. Therefore, he should pitch game four. There is no logical reason to do otherwise. That he has pitched better at Fenway than on the road is probably just coincidental. 

Maybe thats what Farrell will do.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

I hope that is what he does. We will see. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sobchack. Show Sobchack's posts

Yes, LAckey should be pitching Game 4.  He was awful against TB.  Not that he's incapable of pitching a gem, but being that he's a "contact pitcher," it IS a better idea to have him start in Detroit, more of a pitcher's park nonetheless.  

But, I agree with dgalehouse, I'd have Peavy in for Game 3.  

Right now, the focus is on Lester to go mano-a-mano with Sanchez.  

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to TheExaminer's comment:

Might be a good idea for games 2 and 3, dont mind seeing it there. My question revovles around a possible game 7. If it comes to that, it will be Lackey vs Verlander. Not as confident there, but maybe this is Farrell's way of saying he thinks his team can wrap this up in 5 or 6? But then again, maybe Lackey will dig in and match Verlander if there is a game 7. Id rather win in 6 to save myself the stress, Lackey or whoever.......

With the days off, Lack could go game 6 and Buch could go 7 if need be,

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

.....and that rotation also means Peavy would only pitch once, unless he came back on short rest for 7. Insanity.

Not really.

The Detroit hitters are likely most familiar with Peavy, as he spent the last few years pitching in the AL Central...

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

Red Sox manager John Farrell said that after Jon Lester makes the Game 1 start in the best-of-seven American League Championship Series against the Tigers, the team will feature right-hander Clay Buchholz in Game 2 and John Lackey in Game 3, flip-flopping the two right-handers from the order in which they pitched in the Division Series. Jake Peavy is once again slated to start Game 4. Farrell suggested that Buchholz threw well in his Game 3 start against the Rays, and that while Lackey also ultimately earned a win, the Sox thought he might benefit from some side work, including pitching against some teammates in live batting practice on Friday

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

In response to notin's comment:

Not really.

The Detroit hitters are likely most familiar with Peavy, as he spent the last few years pitching in the AL Central...

Good point.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

I think Farrell is intentionally pitting Lackey against Verlander because he thinks that's going to be the hardest game to win, no matter who starts, and he doesn't want to burn one of the other guys in a 1-0 loss.

I think he did the same thing in the TB series - who expected him to start against Price in game 2?  

If it goes to game seven, everybody's available.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxnewmex. Show soxnewmex's posts

Not really.

And vice-versa.  Of the four sox pitchers going, the Tigers have their worst batting average against Peavy, and they hit Lackey the best (over .300). 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

In response to The4040club's comment:

Not really.

Good point.

And Peavy is familiar with them as well, so he can be helpful with info to the other pitchers.

Familiairty tends to give the slighter edge to the hitter over time, though...

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

notin makes a good point about familiarity, which almost always favors the hitter, and here are the Tiger's numbers vs Peavy in recent years:

2013  .772 OPS (0.857 WHIP/5.14 ERA) 26 PAs (Not many PAs this year)

2012  .848 OPS (1.330 WHIP/5.63 ERA) 163 PAs

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxnewmex. Show soxnewmex's posts

Well, the real question is, who would you rather have face the Tigers twice, Lackey or Peavy.  For me the answer is Peavy.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

Lester Clay Peavy Lackey

Hopefully JF will see the light 

Sections
Shortcuts