Lackey Contract

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Duffie33. Show Duffie33's posts

Lackey Contract

If this has been covered then sorry...

Lackey's trade value is at all time hight true but don't we get him for 2014 & 2015 

2014 $15M

2015 $500K?  was there a option in his contract that if he missed a certain about of time the Red Sox could get him for $500K in 2015 .... and if that is true why would we want to trade him? (yes for a great younger player i get)

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Re: Lackey Contract

In response to Duffie33's comment:

Lackey's trade value is at all time hight true but don't we get him for 2014 & 2015 

2014 $15M

2015 $500K?  was there a option in his contract that if he missed a certain about of time the Red Sox could get him for $500K in 2015 .... and if that is true why would we want to trade him? (yes for a great younger player i get)

2015 club option at Major League minimum salary if Lackey misses significant time with surgery for pre-existing elbow injury in 2010-14

And yes, if they were to receive a very good return for him then I would assume they would consider it. Otherwise hes here through 2015.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to Duffie33's comment:

2014 $15M

Other teams see a pitcher of Lackey's ability and a cost of an average $8M for 2 years and are frothing at the mouth.

Not many teams have 6 starters plus Morales, Workman, Britton, Webster, de la Rosa, Ranaudo, Barnes and Owens of their depth chart, and many of those teams thinking they are one top pictehr away from competing for a ring may greatly overpay for a guy like Lackey.

I do not want to trade Lackey, but to me, I'll trade anyone, if the return is greater than what we lose.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I think we should look to restructure his deal in order to spread out the luxury limit hit we have this winter.

Lackey is due $15.25M in 2014 and about $500K for 2015. ($16.5 and $ 0.5M towards the luxury limit budget)

If we can offer him $8.5M for 2014 and $8.5M for 2015, he'll make $1.25M more overall, but it will save us about $8M off the luxury limit this year, but add about $8M in 2015, a year we dump a boatload of contracts off the books.

I wouldn't be against adding a 3rd year or a club option 3rd year, but Lackey will probably want a lot of money for 2016 and beyond.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

I would prefer to see Dempster and Peavy go first (in that order), but the 2015 option gives Lackey crazy value in this market. I'd be very interested to see what's offered.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

In response to djcbuffum's comment:

In response to moonslav59's comment:

I think we should look to restructure his deal in order to spread out the luxury limit hit we have this winter.

Lackey is due $15.25M in 2014 and about $500K for 2015. ($16.5 and $ 0.5M towards the luxury limit budget)

If we can offer him $8.5M for 2014 and $8.5M for 2015, he'll make $1.25M more overall, but it will save us about $8M off the luxury limit this year, but add about $8M in 2015, a year we dump a boatload of contracts off the books.

I wouldn't be against adding a 3rd year or a club option 3rd year, but Lackey will probably want a lot of money for 2016 and beyond.

I was thinking abiout something like this too, but why jump the gun? I think--and correct me if I'm wrong--for luxury tax purposes the contract is calculated by the AAV of the guaranteed money. That means that for 2014 the Sox are on the hook for $15mm, but for 2015, nothing. They can pick up the option now, and average the two years at ~$8mm each. But why not wait and see if they're going to need the extra $8mm wiggle room this year? If they don't need the wigle room this year, then next year they'd have even more room to work. And since I think that it's the opening-day roster that is used for luxury tax, the Sox don't have to choose anytime soon.

The AAV is calculated across the entire contract, not just the remaining years.

The original AAV when signed was $16.1mill.  When the option kicked, it reduced to $13.4mill.  Regardless of where Lackey plays, he counts as $13.4 mill towards the Luxury Tax Threshhold for all of the remaining 2 years...

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

That is why Boston will not trade Lackey.  If they did trade LAckey, they would have to find another starter who probably would be asking for 8 to 10 mm dollars a year.  So if this new pitcher asked for 2yrs/20mm is more than Lackey will make in the next two years.

That is why Boston isnt thinking of trading him.  Definitely Dempster or Peavy.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to notin's comment:

I was thinking abiout something like this too, but why jump the gun? I think--and correct me if I'm wrong--for luxury tax purposes the contract is calculated by the AAV of the guaranteed money. That means that for 2014 the Sox are on the hook for $15mm, but for 2015, nothing. They can pick up the option now, and average the two years at ~$8mm each. But why not wait and see if they're going to need the extra $8mm wiggle room this year? If they don't need the wigle room this year, then next year they'd have even more room to work. And since I think that it's the opening-day roster that is used for luxury tax, the Sox don't have to choose anytime soon.

The original AAV when signed was $16.1mill.  When the option kicked, it reduced to $13.4mill.  Regardless of where Lackey plays, he counts as $13.4 mill towards the Luxury Tax Threshhold for all of the remaining 2 years...

I think it is $16.5 (bonus is included) and the option year is calculated as a seperate contract of 1 year.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

We need every cent this winter. Next winter we shed a ton of payroll.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

I think it is $16.5 (bonus is included) and the option year is calculated as a seperate contract of 1 year.

MLBTR explained the way I posted it...

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

How is the original AVV $16.1 when he signed for $82.5M/5? 

That comes to $16.5M not $16.1M.

Cots:

John Lackey rhp
    5 years/$82.5M (2010-14), plus conditional 2015 option

All the breakdowns of the luxury limit budget I have seen counts Lackey's budget hit at $16.5M, like this one...

Alex Speier has these luxury budget numbers for 2014 (before any FA signings):

The option has not been accepted yet, so I do not think they can make the adjustment. Maybe they do it retroactively next winter.

I admit, I am not sure how they calculate it, but I'm pretty sure they don't count the option money- just any buyout that is guaranteed.

Do you have the link to MLBtraderumors explanation?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

The option has not been accepted yet, so I do not think they can make the adjustment. Maybe they do it retroactively next winter.

I admit, I am not sure how they calculate it, but I'm pretty sure they don't count the option money- just any buyout that is guaranteed.

I'm pretty sure that's right; only guaranteed money goes towards the luxury tax calculation. Since the option has not been exercised, it is not yet guaranteed. Which is why there is a strategic decision whether to exercise it now, or next year.

Is there a time window when the option can or must be taken (or turned down)?

If the luxury hit goes from $16.5M ($82.5M/5) to $13.83M (83M/6) as notin suggests (with my adjustments), then we only save about $2.7M off the 2014 luxury limit budget. That's not really that significant, but it could help keep us under the limit.

It would bring us from an estimated $32M winter spending budget to about $35M. Maybe... Napoli ($14M), Drew ($12M) and Salty ($9M)

Not a dime to spare.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

How is the original AVV $16.1 when he signed for $82.5M/5? 

That comes to $16.5M not $16.1M.

Cots:

John Lackey rhp
    5 years/$82.5M (2010-14), plus conditional 2015 option

All the breakdowns of the luxury limit budget I have seen counts Lackey's budget hit at $16.5M, like this one...

Alex Speier has these luxury budget numbers for 2014 (before any FA signings):

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2011/10/john-lackey-to-undergo-tommy-john-surgery.html

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[/QUOTE]

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2011/10/john-lackey-to-undergo-tommy-john-surgery.html

Thanks for the link.

It seems starnge that every listing of lackey's AVV has shown $16.5M. I am unaware the Sox took the option. I believe we went over the luxury limit by less than $2M one year, so does it retroactively negate that penalty?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bigpapa1977. Show Bigpapa1977's posts

No really thinks that John Lackey is going to play for $500K in 2015, right?  Right??

I am not talking about an extra million or two, but in the neighborhood of $42 million for 3 years and they rip up the 2015 option.

One of the following will happen:

1) Sox re-negociate before 2015 to keep Lackey happy

2) Sox trade him before 2015 to avoid a problem and the new team re-negociates the deal

3) He holds out and retires, as opposed to playing for $500k

4) He holds out and the Sox re-negociate his deal

5) He holds out and the Sox trade him to a team that re-negociates the deal

Notice that one of the options is NOT he plays for $500k.  Not going to happen.

I think that the Sox trade him this offseason and he gets 3 years from the new team.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to Bigpapa1977's comment:

No really thinks that John Lackey is going to play for $500K in 2015, right?  Right??

I am not talking about an extra million or two, but in the neighborhood of $42 million for 3 years and they rip up the 2015 option.

2) Sox trade him before 2015 to avoid a problem and the new team re-negociates the deal

I think that the Sox trade him this offseason and he gets 3 years from the new team.

Lackey got paid $16.5M for 2012 and did not play. 

He will play for $500K in 2015.

I do think we may restructure, but out of some threat to "hold out".

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from lasitter. Show lasitter's posts

Right now he's due something like $15.75 over the next two years. Given his age, how much will some team likely offer him in the following year? Would we be likely to extend him a qualifying offer?

What if we could do something (jiggle the numbers) with vesting or options like 8/12/15, which would satisfy the player's association (more money for Lackey), give us some room under the salary cap number for the upcoming year, and have him available for another year?

I don't know how long Lackey will be able to keep it going, but he certainly got it back this year.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

if you restructure, I would assume you would have to add another year to the deal for lackey to take it. His AAV this year is 13.25 I believe.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

Why should the Red Sox rip it up? Lackey got $82.5M and was damaged good for two year, with one of those years, being on the DL for the entire season. He signed the contract knowing that if he was out, he'd have to play for $500K in 2015. 

The Red Sox have him for a steal in 2015, but rightfully so. Lackey made out in 2012, making $16M and not throwing one pitch.

The guy to trade would be Dempster. Eat 20-40% of his contract and trade him. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

Why do you think he won't play for league minimum?  He ddid agree to the deal and that clause was part of it at the time.

If he did not like the clause, the time to voice his opinion was 2009, not 2015...

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bigpapa1977. Show Bigpapa1977's posts

[/QUOTE]

Lackey got paid $16.5M for 2012 and did not play. 

He will play for $500K in 2015.

I do think we may restructure, but out of some threat to "hold out".

[/QUOTE]

No, he will not play in 2015 for $500,000. It is not going to happen.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/l/lackejo01.shtml

2006  3,340,000

2007  5,833,333

2008  7,333,333

2009  10,000,000

2010  18,700,000

2011  15,950,000

2012  15,250,000

2013  15,250,000

2014  15,250,000

2015  500,000 ??

John Lackey is going to play for LESS THAN 1/30 of the amount he has made each season over the last 5 years? 1/30 amounts to LESS THAN ONE bi-weekly, in season paycheck of his $15,250,000 salary.

There is no way that he is going to play for $500,000 when rookie, replacement scubs will make just as much as him.  No freaking way. 

If he holds out, the Red Sox will trade him or pay him.  He knows this to be true.  His deal will get re-negociated.  Mark it down.  100% for certain.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bigpapa1977. Show Bigpapa1977's posts

[/QUOTE]

Why should the Red Sox rip it up? Lackey got $82.5M and was damaged good for two year, with one of those years, being on the DL for the entire season. He signed the contract knowing that if he was out, he'd have to play for $500K in 2015. 

The Red Sox have him for a steal in 2015, but rightfully so. Lackey made out in 2012, making $16M and not throwing one pitch.

The guy to trade would be Dempster. Eat 20-40% of his contract and trade him. 

[/QUOTE]

The Red Sox (or some new team) will rip it up, as they know that he will not play for 500,000.  Rookie scrubs make 500,000.  John Lackey just came off of a season in which he started the clinching game of the World Series and was one of two dependable starters all season.  The Red Sox insured the contract and I am sure were reimbursed for Lackey's lost year.

I am not saying that Lackey earned the 82,500,000, but that doesn't really matter.  If he holds out, then he will get paid.  Likely, the issue is addressed before the end of the 2014 season.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bigpapa1977. Show Bigpapa1977's posts

[/QUOTE]

Why do you think he won't play for league minimum?  He ddid agree to the deal and that clause was part of it at the time.

If he did not like the clause, the time to voice his opinion was 2009, not 2015...

[/QUOTE]

The clause was a weak throw in to give the Sox the slight upper hand in a re-negociation.  They always knew he wouldn't play for 500,0000 and just figured they slant any future negociations in their favor. 

Notice that the Sox have not used this clause again (nor has any other team).  The reason is that it is a bogus clause with no real value.  The deal will be re-negociated and everyone will be happy.

I am not even going to gloat about this when I am right (as this issue is crystal clear).  But would be happy to take my beating if in bizarro world, he acually plays for less than 1/30 of what he will make in 2014.

Sections
Shortcuts