Lackey delivers in win

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaffyDan. Show DaffyDan's posts

Lackey delivers in win

So says the headline in the gobe, but did he?

Not a great outing... but not bad? 

8 hits and 4 runs in 8 innings.  Translates to a 4.5 ERA. 

Good enough to win... but is it good enough to praise?

It always interests me how a workmanlike start like this can be praised when it brings a victory, while denounced if the offense doesn't come through. 

I quess that's baseball.

-Daf. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Re: Lackey delivers in win

In Response to Lackey delivers in win:
    [QUOTE]So says the headline in the gobe, but did he? Not a great outing... but not bad?  8 hits and 4 runs in 8 innings.  Translates to a 4.5 eERA.  Good enough to win... but is it good enough to praise? It always interests me how a workmanlike start like this can be praised when it brings a victory, while denounced if the offense doesn't come through.  I quess that's baseball. -Daf. 
    Posted by DaffyDan[/QUOTE]

Good point Daf.  I think the praise comes because of 2 reasons: 1. for whatever reason, maybe its the intense screwed up faces he makes while laboring around on the mound, Lackey has always gotten a pass because his calling card is that he is a "battler".  So, last night, he did what John Lackey does when he is at his best.  He gets knocked around, but hangs in long enough that it looks like he was a warrior to get through the bad innings and survive eight.  Other guys don't necessarily get that pass ... and 2.  everything is relative.  Relative to what Lackey had been delivering most of the season, last night was actually praise-worthy.  And, at the end of the day, I'll take it.  Any night that Lackey doesn't get hammered and can go 8 is good with me.  Thats the best we are going to get from him.  Let us praise him.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac32. Show pinstripezac32's posts

Good enough to win... but is it good enough to praise?

8 innings plus a W

yeah  that's worth praise
    ( and some concern for MFY fans)

not a standing O but certainly deserves praise IMO

then again so does the funky looking guy on 2B

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

Didn't see the game, but but it appears he started poorly and finished strong. 8 IP, 4 ER and the W against a good hitting team ... I'll take it.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaffyDan. Show DaffyDan's posts

Personally, I think Lackey needs to control his fastball better. He's got to hit corners to be affective. 

It's 92-93 usually and doesn't sink.  If it's middle of the plate, even high out of the strike zone, then it can get whacked around. 

I like his work ethic, durability and competitive bull dog attitude. I just want to see him hit those corners with a little more consistency.  If he does that and still doesn't return to his Angel's form, then I'll say he's done his best, and conclude he could never live up to expectations. 

My praise for last night would be, way to hang in, and finish strong. 

-Daf. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimdavis. Show jimdavis's posts

He struggled early against a really good team.  Sox fans may not know much about the Brewers but they are one of the better teams in the National League.  Once he settled in, he pitched great.  When they scored their runs, the Brew Crew didn't exactly rip the cover off the ball.  I'll take what I saw every night.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from sindarin-erebor. Show sindarin-erebor's posts

Agree with the relativity statement. Based on most of his other outings this year, last night's effort was praise worthy, but certainly not stellar. I will take it as well.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

In Response to Lackey delivers in win:
    [QUOTE]So says the headline in the gobe, but did he? Not a great outing... but not bad?  8 hits and 4 runs in 8 innings.  Translates to a 4.5 ERA.  Good enough to win... but is it good enough to praise? It always interests me how a workmanlike start like this can be praised when it brings a victory, while denounced if the offense doesn't come through.  I quess that's baseball. -Daf. 
    Posted by DaffyDan[/QUOTE]

a decent start for him...unfortunately, for what he's getting paid, the bar has to be higher.  it is fair to expect more than a decent start, on a pretty consistent basis.  if that's the best he delivers then he underperformed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from betterredthandead. Show betterredthandead's posts

It was a great peformance for Slackey standards. He always has the same response to his failures. Pedroia kept him out of another meltdown start, but he claimed he pitched just as well as the latter innings. He's wrong, but at least he sticks to his story. He's paid to be a top teir starter, but taking a bottom tier starter will have to do. Miller and Doubrant need to put an end to Wastefield. So far, they aren't allowed to.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mountainmonkey. Show mountainmonkey's posts

betterred...you're only guessing that Wake and Ellsbury might have voted for a Democrat once in their life.....therefore the hate is really sorta unjustified....

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from NUSoxFan. Show NUSoxFan's posts

Lackey is starting to return to a form that will make him a great asset to this team. He's a guy that's going to give us 7 or 8 innings with consistency, making our bullpen more rested and better, last night was testament to Lackey's worth, he struggled early, settled down, and gave us 8 quality.

Pedey his a hero in last night's game though. Without his two big plays, I say we probably lose that game.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from betterredthandead. Show betterredthandead's posts

No way will Slackey give 7 and 8 full innings with constistenty.

Wakefield probably would have voted for Goldwater, not that it's germane to his ineptitude as a fit and ready MLB active roster spot.

As for Bellsbury, he's probably one of those guys who takes pride in being a one-drop member of one of the federally enumerated class groups. He probably organized a bus load to vote for "hope and change and transparency cutting budget fat, line by line, and no special isnterest lobbyists in an adminstration". Bellsbury had a lot of time to help Obama's "give the economic recovery time to continue and mushroom" re-election campaign.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaffyDan. Show DaffyDan's posts

In Response to Re: Lackey delivers in win:
    [QUOTE] As for Bellsbury, he's probably one of those guys who takes pride in being a one-drop member of one of the federally enumerated class groups.
    Posted by betterredthandead[/QUOTE]

Shouldn't be long now.  

In case I don't get a chance before the "betterredthan" incarnation of Master Softlaw is deleted forever....

So long! 

(tic toc, tic toc...)

-Daf. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from NUSoxFan. Show NUSoxFan's posts

[QUOTE]No way will Slackey give 7 and 8 full innings with constistenty. [/QUOTE]
    Lackey gave us 230 innings last year.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimdavis. Show jimdavis's posts

[QUOTE]No way will Slackey give 7 and 8 full innings with constistenty. Wakefield probably would have voted for Goldwater, not that it's germane to his ineptitude as a fit and ready MLB active roster spot. As for Bellsbury, he's probably one of those guys who takes pride in being a one-drop member of one of the federally enumerated class groups. He probably organized a bus load to vote for "hope and change and transparency cutting budget fat, line by line, and no special isnterest lobbyists in an adminstration". Bellsbury had a lot of time to help Obama's "give the economic recovery time to continue and mushroom" re-election campaign.
    Posted by betterredthandead[/QUOTE]

It is so clever to turn Lackey's name into Slackey.  Who's smarter than you, Softy?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac32. Show pinstripezac32's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Lackey delivers in win : Lackey gave us 230 innings last year.
    Posted by NUSoxFan[/QUOTE]

which is a very underated stat IMO

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaffyDan. Show DaffyDan's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Lackey delivers in win : which is a very underated stat IMO
    Posted by pinstripezac32[/QUOTE]\\

It was 215 innings.