LACKEY DID THE RIGHT THING AGAIN BY POPPING CERVELLI, Y NO PRAISE?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

Re: LACKEY DID THE RIGHT THING AGAIN BY POPPING CERVELLI, Y NO PRAISE?

In Response to Re: LACKEY DID THE RIGHT THING AGAIN BY POPPING CERVELLI, Y NO PRAISE?:
    [QUOTE]I guess I don't get the jock mentality. Hitting someone with a pitch is a way to get their respect? How about striking them out? Wow, that's really being a tough guy, especially for an AL pitcher who doesn't have to bat. Did Manny show disrespect when he "styled" on his HR's? Was he plunked for all the times he didn't "respect" the pitcher? It's all a bunch of immature jock nonsense. The way to get respect is to beat the opponent. Throwing inside is one thing. Beaning batters is nonsense. 
    Posted by devildavid[/QUOTE]
    David, 3 points....1...thats baseball....always been that way.....2.....nobody condones beaning...nobody should have their head thrown at and 3....not only did Cervelli show up Lackey....he is a guy who stands on top of plate....so a pitcher has to throw inside on him in any case

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from trouts. Show trouts's posts

In Response to Re: LACKEY DID THE RIGHT THING AGAIN BY POPPING CERVELLI, Y NO PRAISE?:
    [QUOTE]It was a dumb move and in part because it allowed and insurance run to score.
    Posted by fivekatz[/QUOTE]
     I totally agree. If it had been a blowout, sure go right ahead. But the score was 4-2, it was late in the game and this guy was the leadoff hitter. I might have plunked him but at a less meaningful time when the game wasn't still on the line.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

Normally, I wouldn't have a problem with it, but Lackey has hit 17 men this year, by far the most in the league.  It's embarassing.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from theYAZZER. Show theYAZZER's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: LACKEY DID THE RIGHT THING AGAIN BY POPPING CERVELLI, Y NO PRAISE? : Yazz, You really need to stop criticizing Theo.  He is really a very good GM and helped the Red Sox to win 2 world series. 
    Posted by susan250[/QUOTE]

well susan,

i really, really hope that theo can do the same with the cubs starting next year.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from theYAZZER. Show theYAZZER's posts

[QUOTE]tom is right, you absolutely do not clap like a school girl at home plate while crossing it..do the point to the sky, praise the lord thing, but don't show up the other team. 
    Posted by dannycater[/QUOTE]

that pointing to the sky thing is even stupider than clapping.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

3 points....1...thats baseball....always been that way

Not everything is exactly the same now as it has been in baseball. What was immature in the past, remains immature now.

Many sluggers show up the pitchers today with their bat flips and other pimping. In the past, these hitters probably would have been thrown at. What happened to that great baseball tradition?

he is a guy who stands on top of plate....so a pitcher has to throw inside on him in any case

That was not a "purpose" pitch to back him off the plate. I have no problem with that. That is, and should be, part of the game.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: LACKEY DID THE RIGHT THING AGAIN BY POPPING CERVELLI, Y NO PRAISE? : well susan, i really, really hope that theo can do the same with the cubs starting next year.
    Posted by theYAZZER[/QUOTE]
    So let me get this straight: You hope Theo goes to the Cubs and wins World Series championships there? Do I have that right?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from theYAZZER. Show theYAZZER's posts

[QUOTE]I guess I don't get the jock mentality. Hitting someone with a pitch is a way to get their respect? How about striking them out? Wow, that's really being a tough guy, especially for an AL pitcher who doesn't have to bat. Did Manny show disrespect when he "styled" on his HR's? Was he plunked for all the times he didn't "respect" the pitcher? It's all a bunch of immature jock nonsense. The way to get respect is to beat the opponent. Throwing inside is one thing. Beaning batters is nonsense. 
    Posted by devildavid[/QUOTE]

with SLACKEY, striking someone out, even a bum like cervelli, is usually not an option.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from theYAZZER. Show theYAZZER's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: LACKEY DID THE RIGHT THING AGAIN BY POPPING CERVELLI, Y NO PRAISE? : So let me get this straight: You hope Theo goes to the Cubs and wins World Series championships there? Do I have that right?
    Posted by LloydDobler[/QUOTE]

i was being sarcastic about the WS. i just want theo to go.anywhere. but here.
    so, yes, i want him to take the cubs' job. i just wish he could take slackey and crawford with him.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from soups. Show soups's posts

www.boston.com/community/persona.html?UID=96471bbfcbf361f7cc5aca6e98427d37&plckUserId=96471bbfcbf361f7cc5aca6e98427d37">
    First: 6/8/2010
    Last: 9/1/2011             

"I've been in two wars and no way would I want Lackey with me--way too temperamental. Plus there is absolutely nothing gutsy about plinking opposing batters when you don't have to go to bat yourself. Did I forget to mention that Lackey is one of the biggest whiners in MLB? Or that he must outweigh Cervelli by 50 pounds? Or that he gave up 5 runs yesterday?"

Yap, yap, yap.  Guess you must have missed CC drilling Ellsbury on the fourth pitch of the game.  What do you think the weight difference is there?  200 pounds?  Sure looked intentional, but no comment from you on that?

Cervelli taunted at the plate, whether it was his intention to or not.  Lucky he got it in the back; Nolan Ryan would've drilled him in the head. 

And for the record, Cervelli never would have made it past Salty. 
    Jarrod Saltalamacchia

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from mjnmjn. Show mjnmjn's posts

Lackey hasn't been able to locate for at least two years, how is everybody so sure that he was even aiming at Cervelli?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

Anyone who stands on top of the plate like Cervelli did, deserves one in his ear!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from RSFAN2. Show RSFAN2's posts

[QUOTE]After all the pitches thrown at Youkilis ( at his head) over the years and the lame attempt by N.Y. to bean Ortiz (and possibly 'scare' him...you've gotta be kiddin'), I cannot find any displeasure in seeing a Yankee get his just dessert. This is what Pedro would have done, and I loved watching Pedro. It is what Bob Gibson would have done. Three cheers for Lackey, for sending the message to the Yankees. The message is ..."grow up and play like professionals, spoiled brats of the Bronx."
    Posted by ZILLAGOD[/QUOTE]
    As always....Dead on the money.

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

[QUOTE]www.boston.com/community/persona.html?UID=96471bbfcbf361f7cc5aca6e98427d37&plckUserId=96471bbfcbf361f7cc5aca6e98427d37 " /> maxbialystock Posts: 2070 First: 6/8/2010 Last: 9/1/2011              "I've been in two wars and no way would I want Lackey with me--way too temperamental. Plus there is absolutely nothing gutsy about plinking opposing batters when you don't have to go to bat yourself. Did I forget to mention that Lackey is one of the biggest whiners in MLB? Or that he must outweigh Cervelli by 50 pounds? Or that he gave up 5 runs yesterday?" Yap, yap, yap.  Guess you must have missed CC drilling Ellsbury on the fourth pitch of the game.  What do you think the weight difference is there?  200 pounds?  Sure looked intentional, but no comment from you on that? Cervelli taunted at the plate, whether it was his intention to or not.  Lucky he got it in the back; Nolan Ryan would've drilled him in the head.  And for the record, Cervelli never would have made it past Salty. 
    Posted by soups[/QUOTE]

Taunting is in the eye of the beholder.  The Sox lead the AL in hitting other players and Lackey more than anyone else. 

I don't condone throwing at anyone and never have.  I don't think the 4th pitch by Sabathia was intended to hit Ellsbury.  Why put the leadoff guy on from a team that has already beaten you down this season? 

Lackey was not protecting his hitters--what he did was all about Lackey, not the team.  If he really wants to help his team, why not try to get guys out instead of put them on base? 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

[QUOTE]After all the pitches thrown at Youkilis ( at his head) over the years and the lame attempt by N.Y. to bean Ortiz (and possibly 'scare' him...you've gotta be kiddin'), I cannot find any displeasure in seeing a Yankee get his just dessert. This is what Pedro would have done, and I loved watching Pedro. It is what Bob Gibson would have done. Three cheers for Lackey, for sending the message to the Yankees. The message is ..."grow up and play like professionals, spoiled brats of the Bronx."
    Posted by ZILLAGOD[/QUOTE]

Do you realize during the last 12 yrs of these H2Hs, the RS pitchers have outhit the Yankee pitchers by a factor of about 8/5? 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

max, pride

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

Yes, Pedro used to ding people but he also used to pitch great games in big moments. I'd like to see Lackey focus more on all the runs he allows then dinging people who get under his skin. 

I'll praise Lackey when he wins an important postseason game for us. Sound fair?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from majormathew. Show majormathew's posts

I can't help but wonder if Lackey would of pulled that in New York or any other place besides Fenway. I don't think so.

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

[QUOTE]I think Lackey should have hit himself with a pitch.  I mean, if it was in retaliation for being shown up/embarrassed:  what caused more embarrassment? A. Cervelli's little league oh-boy-isn't-this-great dance, or B. Lackey serving up a meatball that even little Cervy could hit into the Boston night?  Obviously, B. is the answer.  So john should have plunked himself in retaliation.
    Posted by SpacemanEephus[/QUOTE]

:o)  I think John takes it out on himself quite often.  He shares it with others, but I think he still berates himself when he's alone with his worst critic.  And though we have a large number of them on this board, I doubt anyone is as hard on him as the sour face he sees in the mirror or in the papers.

But ... going 6-0 recently must have helped his self talk a lot.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from GEAUX-TIGRES. Show GEAUX-TIGRES's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: LACKEY DID THE RIGHT THING AGAIN BY POPPING CERVELLI, Y NO PRAISE? : i actually will CREDIT lack's action for this win! the sox came out pumped. clearly it was on their mind. did you beck when facing cervelli? u could feel the hate. had lack not responded this could have led to a brawl with beck only lasting about 5 and not able to come inside and incidentally hit guys like tex and almost hit a slew of guys in coming inside over and over which one must do to stop the yanks. basebal justice worked to perfection! did u notice the clap by ells in sarcasm towards cervelli as he crossed the plate? clearly it ticked off the sox and lack got them fired up. no doubt he's viewed favorably by his mates! 
    Posted by COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN[/QUOTE]
    how different is this from Papi's bat throwing display? did they bean him or was it too late in that game? I think throwing at guys is foolish. some day someone is going to get really hurt because of an unintentional misplaced pitch.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

posted at 9/1/2011 3:57 PM EDT
    www.boston.com/community/persona.html?UID=3aa6e1112fc4b2e562ddcdbef951e90a&plckUserId=3aa6e1112fc4b2e562ddcdbef951e90a">
    First: 2/1/2011
    Last: 9/2/2011
    Anyone who stands on top of the plate like Cervelli did, deserves one in his ear!

"You don't save a pitcher for tomorrow.  Tomorrow it may rain."  ~ Leo Durocher

Sure you don't want to delete this post?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from HRDerby. Show HRDerby's posts

If you dont want anyone clapping after hitting a HR

then maybe

you shouldnt serve up a HR to a weakling like Cervelli 

On top of that he put him on base and Cervelli SCORES AGAIN, goes back to the dugout and gets more high fives, hugs and smiles.

Lackey really showed him who was the boss. And please stop talking about the likes of Gibson, Ryan or Pedro

Those guys could actually pitch. They could had hit 4 batters in one inning and have none of them score. lackey on the other hand looked foolish by getting irate at back up catcher and then having him showed him up again by SCORING AGAIN.