Lackey, Doubront and Dempster coming up huge

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Lackey, Doubront and Dempster coming up huge

With Buchholz down and Lester scuffling, these three have been keeping us in first place and possibly saving our season.  Major kudos to all three.  They have pitched far better lately than I thought was possible.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

Re: Lackey, Doubront and Dempster coming up huge

yup.  very true HFx.  as much as it pains me to admit it....lackey has been an excellent starter for the sox this year. 

Dempster has been more than capable as a #5 guy and douby is eating innings and throwing the ball really well.  his curveball has been very impressive.  hopefully the change in his bp routine will translate to fewer BB.

if these 3 can mirror their first half results the sox will be on the fast track to PO's.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

The 3 pitchers most were saying was our weakness in the rotation are proving to be the biggest assets. Add Buch back to the equation and this rotation is more than solid for a PO run. Even if Lest pitches like a #3-#4 the rest of the way, were still Ok. But if he starts to have more good starts than bad, were just that much better. Aceves, Webster, Workman and Britton can all spot start in a pinch. Id rather have those guys than the Smoltz' Bedards and Byrds of the world like in past years.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

The 3 pitchers most were saying was our weakness in the rotation are proving to be the biggest assets. Add Buch back to the equation and this rotation is more than solid for a PO run. Even if Lest pitches like a #3-#4 the rest of the way, were still Ok. But if he starts to have more good starts than bad, were just that much better. Aceves, Webster, Workman and Britton can all spot start in a pinch. Id rather have those guys than the Smoltz' Bedards and Byrds of the world like in past years.

I was thinking the same thing the other day.  It's very refreshing for once to see that the AAA depth of guys who can come up and give us spot starts are young kids who are on the brink of MLB careers and not men in their 40's who are past their prime and trying to prove they can play well past their time. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

This is why I'm not as concerned about the SP as some are.  When Buch comes back we'll have three pitchers plenty good enough to take us into the post season, they're just not the ones we thought they'd be. 

This team has respectable pitching combined with a very good offense and that's good enough to take us deep into the PS, barring unforseen injuries. 

Having the right to do something doesn't make it the right thing to do.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

After seeing some of the rotations of other teams we have faced, I believe the Red Sox with a healthy Buchhloz and ( hopefully) an improvement in Lester can outpitch most teams ( yes, even Tampa Bay).

What I worry about is that Cherrybomb will deal away our youth in an attempt to win it all.

Yes, the team is looking good. I would not "go for broke" and start selling the farm for a shot at a championship that may still be at least year or two away.

"There are lots of people who mistake their imagination for their memory.-Josh Billings

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

In response to ZILLAGOD's comment:

After seeing some of the rotations of other teams we have faced, I believe the Red Sox with a healthy Buchhloz and ( hopefully) an improvement in Lester can outpitch most teams ( yes, even Tampa Bay).

What I worry about is that Cherrybomb will deal away our youth in an attempt to win it all.

Yes, the team is looking good. I would not "go for broke" and start selling the farm for a shot at a championship that may still be at least year or two away.

"There are lots of people who mistake their imagination for their memory.-Josh Billings

Why are you on Cherrington's case? What has he done that would make you even think that he'd be selling the farm? And are you saying that he should make no trades,?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In response to S5's comment:

This is why I'm not as concerned about the SP as some are.  When Buch comes back we'll have three pitchers plenty good enough to take us into the post season, they're just not the ones we thought they'd be. 

This team has respectable pitching combined with a very good offense and that's good enough to take us deep into the PS, barring unforseen injuries. 

Having the right to do something doesn't make it the right thing to do.

Yup.

Hopefully, this is Buchholz's only stint on the DL.

I thought Lester and Buchholz had to produce for the Sox to get to the playoffs

I was hoping Lackey would be better, once he was healthy, but I didn't think he'd be this good.

Dempster has delivered about what was expected.

Doubront has been much better, since a rough May.

His WHIP has steadily dropped, since then.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

In response to royf19's comment:

Why are you on Cherrington's case? What has he done that would make you even think that he'd be selling the farm? And are you saying that he should make no trades,?

I am not "on Cherryington's case", I am just responding to all the posters who seem to think the Red Sox should go all out to win this season. The job of a GM also is to look at the team's future. I really believe this team is on at least a 3 year plan to get stronger with youth.

Actually I like Cherryington. I just can't resist calling him Cherrybomb...it is such a natural nickname ...and I am sort of a punk at times. I certainly wouldn't want his job. Lots of pressure. Although there are many who post here who really, and truly do believe they are smarter than he is. I am not one of them.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Archer1. Show Archer1's posts

Yes they have...much too many surprises around here. Glad Lackey has rebounded, Dempster has adjusted, and Doubront has progressed. Now keep it up ya bums!!!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

I'll agree that Lackey & Doubront have exceeded expectations so far but Dempster has been below avg. He's 5-8 and has a whip over 1.4, that's not very good.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

In response to royf19's comment:

I am not "on Cherryington's case", I am just responding to all the posters who seem to think the Red Sox should go all out to win this season. The job of a GM also is to look at the team's future. I really believe this team is on at least a 3 year plan to get stronger with youth.

Actually I like Cherryington. I just can't resist calling him Cherrybomb...it is such a natural nickname ...and I am sort of a punk at times. I certainly wouldn't want his job. Lots of pressure. Although there are many who post here who really, and truly do believe they are smarter than he is. I am not one of them.

Because of the other thread and the nickname, I couldn't really tell where you were coming from. I think there's a balance that Cherrington has to make. The Sox have the best record in the AL so why not try to take advantage of hit. That doesn't mean selling the farm as said, but there are moves that can be made.

And I don't want necessarily major moves, but he can make moves to shore up the bullpen.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazyworldoftroybrown. Show crazyworldoftroybrown's posts

If I were the Sox, and the inconsistency by Lester, I would really consider Trading him this Off-Season. At this point in his career, looks like a National Leaguer. 6 innings Pinch Hit for him, once in a while he'll go deeper in games. The stat that really sticks out to me is Oppponents have a .317 avg with 2 outs and RISP, this year. Dont remember too many Aces that have that stat.
    Hope he has a better second half.