Lackey has EARNED the right to sound off! BUT... I can't believe what he just said about his detractos

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

Lackey has EARNED the right to sound off! BUT... I can't believe what he just said about his detractos

What?  Nothing???  When will he uncork on us?  Never?  Come on now  :)

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

Re: Lackey has EARNED the right to sound off! BUT... I can't believe what he just said about his detractos

I honestly can't get over this guy.  Perhaps the biggest come back of any Red Sox player in memory.  Still, he seems completely at ease.  He shows ZERO sign of going off on all of us who were dogging him.  I was one of his biggest bashers on this board.  I wanted him GONE without any question!!!  I said, "he never had it & never would!"  Unequivical!  I couldn't stand the guy & thought there was ZERO chance of redemption after 2012.  So many of us here on BDC, and hundreds in the Boston media, were relentless in tearing the guy apart, YET......  Lackey remains quiet & focused on the team.  He has nothing but positive things to say, & flat out refuses to shove it in our faces AT ALL?

I guess I really misjudged this guy!  He's been nothing but CLASS!  It certainly seems that everything his teammates have said about him is true.  Great guy!  Class act!  Great teammate!  Nice guy!  Dedicated to nothing more than the team.

A HUGE MEA CULPA to John!  Could not be happier to be so wrong!

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Re: Lackey has EARNED the right to sound off! BUT... I can't believe what he just said about his detractos

Lackey is a fierce competitor; I'm sure it killed him more than us to pitch so badly in 2011. 

It's one reason I feel he will not complain about playing for the league minimum in 2015. He knows he got paid over $15M to sit in 2012, and had a bad year in 2011 (injury-related), so I'm thinking he feels he owes us.

And to think the resident clown called him "slackey"... so far from the truth.

It's nice to have guys like him on the team.

He's a perfect example of how looks can be deceiving. Remember his antics after a Sox player misjudged a ball or made an error? Many of us, myself included, felt he was showing up his teammates, when as it turned out, he was really getting mad at himself, and his teammates knew it, understood it, and were alright with it.

I'm looking forward to another solid season. Missing a year could help make his next two stronger than had he pitched 200 innings in 2012.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

Remember his antics after a Sox player misjudged a ball or made an error? Many of us, myself included, felt he was showing up his teammates, when as it turned out, he was really getting mad at himself, and his teammates knew it, understood it, and were alright with it.

I always took it that he was made at himself and that h was mad that the ball wasn't hit to where a play could be made on it.

Some peoplel simply like to find the little thing to rip an athlete. But here's the thing. If he was popular and liked by his teammates, then they (critics) should wonder what they're missing. They're judging him because he wasn't smooth in interviews, a little dorky looking/sounding and the ultimate hypocrisy -- wears his emotions on his sleave.

The same people who rippped J.D. Drew because of his lack of emotion are the same who ripped Lackey for showing his emotion.

When the Sox got him, I thought he was a bit overrated and overpaid, but I can seperate that from whether or not I like the guy. I became a bit of a Lackey guy in 2010 because people ripped him for that year and when I looked at it, I saw that he was better than he was given credit for being.

in 2011, I suspected that he must have an injury. He might not have been the Lackey he was with the Angels, but I couldn't believe he was that bad. Then later in the season, when he had that interview where he talked about how his life scked -- something like that -- I felt there were things going on and perhaps we should be giving him the benefit of the doubt.

Then when we found out that he was going through a divorce and pitching with an blown out elbow, I was willing to give him a pass on 2011 and see how things went moving forward. He was ripped for being around the team in 2012, but I saw that as a good thing.

Then after last year, I became even more of a fan. Instead of copping an attitude with his critics, he busted his butt to rehab from the arm surgery and didn't hold a grudge -- at least outwardly -- against those who wanted to ship him out of town on the first bus.

I'm really rooting for him to have an even better year this year.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

Lackey obviously prescribes to the "living well is the best revenge" motto.

Good for him!

He could have a better year, stat-wise, if he gets a little more run support.

He was snakebit in that dept.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to royf19's comment:

In response to moonslav59's comment:

Remember his antics after a Sox player misjudged a ball or made an error? Many of us, myself included, felt he was showing up his teammates, when as it turned out, he was really getting mad at himself, and his teammates knew it, understood it, and were alright with it.

I always took it that he was made at himself and that h was mad that the ball wasn't hit to where a play could be made on it.

Some peoplel simply like to find the little thing to rip an athlete. But here's the thing. If he was popular and liked by his teammates, then they (critics) should wonder what they're missing. They're judging him because he wasn't smooth in interviews, a little dorky looking/sounding and the ultimate hypocrisy -- wears his emotions on his sleave.

The same people who rippped J.D. Drew because of his lack of emotion are the same who ripped Lackey for showing his emotion.

When the Sox got him, I thought he was a bit overrated and overpaid, but I can seperate that from whether or not I like the guy. I became a bit of a Lackey guy in 2010 because people ripped him for that year and when I looked at it, I saw that he was better than he was given credit for being.

in 2011, I suspected that he must have an injury. He might not have been the Lackey he was with the Angels, but I couldn't believe he was that bad. Then later in the season, when he had that interview where he talked about how his life scked -- something like that -- I felt there were things going on and perhaps we should be giving him the benefit of the doubt.

Then when we found out that he was going through a divorce and pitching with an blown out elbow, I was willing to give him a pass on 2011 and see how things went moving forward. He was ripped for being around the team in 2012, but I saw that as a good thing.

Then after last year, I became even more of a fan. Instead of copping an attitude with his critics, he busted his butt to rehab from the arm surgery and didn't hold a grudge -- at least outwardly -- against those who wanted to ship him out of town on the first bus.

I'm really rooting for him to have an even better year this year.

Well said.

I admit I was too critical of lackey in 2011 even though I suspected some health issue was part of the problem.

I liked the signing, even though I thought it was too long. I never advocated us signing him, but that was mostly out of the belief that he would cost $100M/5. In the context of what good pitchers get on the open market, $85M/5 was not bad at all.

The more I know about Lackey, the more I like him. I'm glad he is on our team for the next 2 years.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

I approve of this message.  Of all the amazing storylines of 2013, his is the richest to me.  The one-man embodiment of the storybook turn around.  I shed more than a few tears last year (not saying much, I am an easy cry), but his Fenway ovations coming off the mound after his division clinch start and his WS start drained me of water and salt.  

And his unwillingness to call out hsi detractors is totally in line with his unwillingness to blame his shredded arm when he was Public Enemy #1 back in 2011.  

John Lacket taught me, and many here, a lesson or two about what a real competitor is.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

In response to SpacemanEephus' comment:

I approve of this message.  Of all the amazing storylines of 2013, his is the richest to me.  The one-man embodiment of the storybook turn around.  I shed more than a few tears last year (not saying much, I am an easy cry), but his Fenway ovations coming off the mound after his division clinch start and his WS start drained me of water and salt.  

And his unwillingness to call out hsi detractors is totally in line with his unwillingness to blame his shredded arm when he was Public Enemy #1 back in 2011.  

John Lacket taught me, and many here, a lesson or two about what a real competitor is.

Amen to that Spaceman...amen to that...

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

Being one of the few on Lackey's side I could never how people said he did not care and he was not happy here Based upon what they saw on the field. It was the same for others as well. I always said these guys work to damn hard to not care once they too the "show". Just like JD Drew he cared despite what fans thought they saw.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In response to JimfromFlorida's comment:

Being one of the few on Lackey's side I could never how people said he did not care and he was not happy here Based upon what they saw on the field. It was the same for others as well. I always said these guys work to damn hard to not care once they too the "show". Just like JD Drew he cared despite what fans thought they saw.

Haha.  Oh Jim.  Nothing kills the good vibes quicker than a good I Told Ya So.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In response to JoseLaguna's comment:

OnceI found out that Lackey

Was having marital problems

His wife had cancer

Was pitching injured and at 50 % of his potential

Needed TJ surgery

IT WAS LOGICAL TO GIVE HIM THE BENEFIT OF THE DOUBT.

Bashing him was pointless.

His wife having cancer was one thing.  But I am not sure who, if any, of us outsiders had a notion that he would need TJ surgery prior to the announcement.  Are you saying you knew before anyone?  The reason that many did not give him the benefit of the doubt is the same reason we (I have delivered my mea culpa here many times over) love him now:  he never once intimated an inkling of injury.  He just shut up and took the ball every five, public perception be dammed.  Now, if you add in the chicken and beer stuff (I don't, I didn't, and never will) there is even more logic to denying him benefit of the doubt.  If your point is that bashing as a whole is pointless, point taken.  But, if anyone was seemingly deserving of bashing back then, it was John Lackey.  

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

In response to SpacemanEephus' comment:

His wife had cancer

Needed TJ surgery

His wife having cancer was one thing.  But I am not sure who, if any, of us outsiders had a notion that he would need TJ surgery prior to the announcement.  Are you saying you knew before anyone?  The reason that many did not give him the benefit of the doubt is the same reason we (I have delivered my mea culpa here many times over) love him now:  he never once intimated an inkling of injury.  He just shut up and took the ball every five, public perception be dammed.  Now, if you add in the chicken and beer stuff (I don't, I didn't, and never will) there is even more logic to denying him benefit of the doubt.  If your point is that bashing as a whole is pointless, point taken.  But, if anyone was seemingly deserving of bashing back then, it was John Lackey.  

I didn't know he needed surgery, but I thought something was wrong. His velocity was down, and I couldn't believe he was that bad.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

His wife had cancer

Needed TJ surgery

Sorry, but there was enough deep fryer smoke there to question what the heck was going on with our 2 big gunnnslingers at the time.  I was dead wrong about him being done, but I still think the dynamic that existed with Beckett, Lackey, Lester, & even Buch & Dice-K was absolutely toxic.  Let's climbdown off the high horse & stop the revisionist history, & get real.   There was still a huge problem with our pitching core that played a key role in dragging that 2012 team down.  & Even Lackey would admit he made a few big mistakes.  We will perhaps never know the whole story, but he and all the pitchers played a part in that implosion.  Not just with their play between the lines.

I'm man enough to admit I wrongly lost all faith in him, and perhaps heaped too much blame on him at the time, but the criticism was largely rational.

A bright guy like you however simply makes the rest of us look like Pikers!

Mea culpa!  Oh captain my captain

Sections
Shortcuts