Lackey is an issue

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

Lackey is an issue

When you are making 80mil, have an era of close to 7.00, haven't pitched very well since being signed and can't get the Padre lineup out, it's a concern.  I doubt we could package him anywhere "much like Cam or Drew" but he really doesn't seem to fit well in Boston.  I actually feel much more comfortable with Wake on the mound. 

Any thoughts!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from --The-Babe----. Show --The-Babe----'s posts

Re: Lackey is an issue

I got to laugh. Giving up 5 runs to the worst offense in baseball by the 4th inning is pretty pathetic.

That being said....Go padres!!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from fourrings. Show fourrings's posts

spot on, he sucks end of story

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from bingobilly. Show bingobilly's posts

An "issue"... You should be so kind.  The guy was and is a loser.  I have no idea who makes the final dollar decision in the RS organization.  Is it the boy GM while ownership is sleeping?  This organization has thrown huge dollars around to obtain below average and average at best ball players.  I guess the Yankees follow that same protocol but I'm not sure about anyone else.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from oldman33. Show oldman33's posts

Well, it's like this- you can turn on NHL Network right now & watch a really good game that was played last Wednesday night in Vancover, or you could just stick really sharp objects into your eyes to discourage what just went on in the 4th inning against the Padres. Why do you think the Angels let this guy walk 2 years ago, & someone who has money in this organization thought JL looked like a sound investment? I can't believe they mulled over keeping Tek another season, while greasing the palms of this deadbeat. So, take the money that Lackey is making PLUS the money they are paying Dice & what do you get? Speaking of ex-Angels, did you hear they captured Whitey?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from RonSwanson. Show RonSwanson's posts

He's been just brutally tough to watch this entire year.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxforlife22. Show soxforlife22's posts

he is terrible... there isnt much more to say
    i wonder what he will say in his postgame interview
    probably something along the lines of "I thought i threw the ball pretty good. The ball felt pretty good out of my hands. They just hit me." He will then be asked about his four walks and hit batsmen, for which he will have no real response.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

Theo Epstein is the best GM in the league! Just ask him!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from fourrings. Show fourrings's posts

obamacare?? bad analogy dude.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In Response to Lackey is an issue:
    [QUOTE]When you are making 80mil, have an era of close to 7.00, haven't pitched very well since being signed and can't get the Padre lineup out, it's a concern.  I doubt we could package him anywhere "much like Cam or Drew" but he really doesn't seem to fit well in Boston.  I actually feel much more comfortable with Wake on the mound.  Any thoughts!
    Posted by craze4sox[/QUOTE]

I have to admit, when we signed Lackey my thought was he should fill a much needed hole in the rotation but wasn't worth 80mil.  The more I see him it just doesn't look like he belongs and I always try and cut every struggling player slack.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

He's had some decent starts since coming of the DL.  Today he went 3 and gave up 1 run, then the rains came down and he--in the words of Peter Abraham--melted down like the wicked witch of the west.  After a 38 minute delay, he went out and gave up 4 runs on walks, hit batters, a sacrifice bunt that became a hit, and I think one well hit single.  I think the rule for most teams is to not bring the starter back out after 45 minutes or more of rain delay.  Maybe Lackey's limit is 30 minutes, who knows? 

In any case, I don't think this outing is at all definitive.  I am no Lackey fan, but understand why Francona is going to want to keep using him. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In Response to Re: Lackey is an issue:
    [QUOTE]He's had some decent starts since coming of the DL.  Today he went 3 and gave up 1 run, then the rains came down and he--in the words of Peter Abraham--melted down like the wicked witch of the west.  After a 38 minute delay, he went out and gave up 4 runs on walks, hit batters, a sacrifice bunt that became a hit, and I think one well hit single.  I think the rule for most teams is to not bring the starter back out after 45 minutes or more of rain delay.  Maybe Lackey's limit is 30 minutes, who knows?  In any case, I don't think this outing is at all definitive.  I am no Lackey fan, but understand why Francona is going to want to keep using him. 
    Posted by maxbialystock[/QUOTE]

max, when you have guys like Drew/Cam "20mil" and Lackey "18mil" or so you need to play them after making that kind of investment.  They are all veterans you hope will come through in the clutch where a kid may not.

It just goes to show us how good this teams potential could be with proper replacements in a few more areas.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

By the time Buch comes back, Lackey might be the most deserving of a demotion.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

[QUOTE]By the time Buch comes back, Lackey might be the most deserving of a demotion.
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]

I agree moonslav but Lackeys paycheck and "who knows" maybe even his contract terms will probably keep him in the rotation.  It's too bad Beck had to miss his start but even with the pitching struggles our team as a whole haven't played very well the last two games against a very mediocre team. 

Hoping for a late comeback today

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from sindarin-erebor. Show sindarin-erebor's posts

How was he considered the "Ace" of the Angel staff? The guy is truly a below average 5th starter at best. He has shown to be a very bad fit with the Red Sox and needs to go away some how, although I know his contract is such and performances with us preclude ever being able to get rid of him. I have him on a fantasy team and frankly and ready to simply drop him to pick up some WW scum....it has gotten that bad. Yes, I would much rather have Wake on the mound than this guy. BTW, here comes one of our patented losing streaks we have all experienced over the years. The Stanks get back in first as we lose 6 or 7 in a row, then we turn it around and win 8 straight to get back in the race. Part and parcel of being a Red Sox fan. It is still early, but Lackey is in fact a HUGE concern.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Modano09. Show Modano09's posts

Yeah, when they don't score 8 or more runs he's a problem. He's won since coming off the DL because he wasn't as bad as he was prior to going on it and they were scoring a lot of runs for him, not because he was suddenly lights out. At best he keeps it close enough that a high powered offense can win, at worst he gets blown away. Considering the money he was signed for and how good he seems to think he is, the odd 1 or 2 run game wouldn't be too much to ask for. It seems we should just be happy if he keeps it at 4 every start now.

I know I defend Drew eventhough he's struggling and probably hasn't lived up to his contract, but I think Lackey is much worse. If the rest of the guys are hitting, Drew getting a single or a walk while catching everything he should catch in the field isn't a problem. He might not win them the game but he's not costing them the game. Lackey, as a pitcher, is a whole different story, as he makes it that the team has to win almost in spite of his performance, and somedays they're just not going to score enough to make up for what he'll give up. There's some days they might as well not show up because Lackey's going to lose them the game before the 5th.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from jrh1194. Show jrh1194's posts

[QUOTE]By the time Buch comes back, Lackey might be the most deserving of a demotion.
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]
    I agree with you 100%.....but it probably will never happen.  He is un-tradeable and considering his salary, he won't be sent down. Bottom line is that he stinks and we are stuck with him.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Modano09. Show Modano09's posts

I'm not pretending to be a GM or that I evaluated him as closely as I hope the Sox did before signing him. I didn't watch a lot of Angels games until the playoffs, and only that Lackey was their best pitcher. But I remember two things about him.

1) The Sox owned him. Every time they'd meet in the playoffs, there would be some degree of hype for his starts because he's their toughest pitcher. And the Sox would tend to take care of him easily.

2) This is a reach, but I played in a fairly deep yahoo fantasy baseball league one year. I was weak in pitcher and couldn't believe my luck when Lackey was on waivers. I thought I pulled one over on everyone and waited for the compliments on my awesome waiver pick up. Then I looked at his numbers and was shocked. He really didn't seem like much of an ace at all. And nobody cared that I picked up John Lackey. And while I got the odd win out of him, he killed my era.

Again, not that any professional team should make decisions based on fantasy baseball, but as a fan who didn't follow him much, what I knew about him didn't really scream "ace". I was hoping for a bit of "he'll play better on a stronger team" when they signed him, but that hasn't happened. If anything he's been worse. Even if you ignore the money, he's at best right now a capable 5th starter, and not always so capable. He's a 5th starter in the sense that you know it's going to be an uphill battle and probably odds are you won't win, but if he has a better than usual day and your batters do the same, you can win.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

[QUOTE]Yeah, when they don't score 8 or more runs he's a problem. He's won since coming off the DL because he wasn't as bad as he was prior to going on it and they were scoring a lot of runs for him, not because he was suddenly lights out. At best he keeps it close enough that a high powered offense can win, at worst he gets blown away. Considering the money he was signed for and how good he seems to think he is, the odd 1 or 2 run game wouldn't be too much to ask for. It seems we should just be happy if he keeps it at 4 every start now. I know I defend Drew eventhough he's struggling and probably hasn't lived up to his contract, but I think Lackey is much worse. If the rest of the guys are hitting, Drew getting a single or a walk while catching everything he should catch in the field isn't a problem. He might not win them the game but he's not costing them the game. Lackey, as a pitcher, is a whole different story, as he makes it that the team has to win almost in spite of his performance, and somedays they're just not going to score enough to make up for what he'll give up. There's some days they might as well not show up because Lackey's going to lose them the game before the 5th.
    Posted by Modano09[/QUOTE]

I think some of us were prepared for what Drew has done during his time in Boston.  Trot was hurt a lot, so was J.D. and other than the defense their offense was for the most part inconsistent although they did have some success.  Next season should be our youngest and maybe most talented team to date.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

[QUOTE]Yeah, when they don't score 8 or more runs he's a problem. He's won since coming off the DL because he wasn't as bad as he was prior to going on it and they were scoring a lot of runs for him, not because he was suddenly lights out. At best he keeps it close enough that a high powered offense can win, at worst he gets blown away. Considering the money he was signed for and how good he seems to think he is, the odd 1 or 2 run game wouldn't be too much to ask for. It seems we should just be happy if he keeps it at 4 every start now. I know I defend Drew eventhough he's struggling and probably hasn't lived up to his contract, but I think Lackey is much worse. If the rest of the guys are hitting, Drew getting a single or a walk while catching everything he should catch in the field isn't a problem. He might not win them the game but he's not costing them the game. Lackey, as a pitcher, is a whole different story, as he makes it that the team has to win almost in spite of his performance, and somedays they're just not going to score enough to make up for what he'll give up. There's some days they might as well not show up because Lackey's going to lose them the game before the 5th.
    Posted by Modano09[/QUOTE]

In his first three starts after coming back from the DL, Lackey went 5.2, 6, and 8 innings and gave up 3, 4, and 4 runs against Oakland, Toronto, and Milwaukee--Toronto and Milwaukee offenses are among the top ten offenses in MLB.  So I think it is fair to say that Lackey has pitched decently since coming of the DL.  I also think his biggest problem today was the 38 minute rain delay, which apparently caused him to lose control of his pitches, and I mean running right off the road into a tree loss of control.  Before the rain he went 3 innings and gave up 1 run. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Modano09. Show Modano09's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Lackey is an issue : In his first three starts after coming back from the DL, Lackey went 5.2, 6, and 8 innings and gave up 3, 4, and 4 runs against Oakland, Toronto, and Milwaukee--Toronto and Milwaukee offenses are among the top ten offenses in MLB.  So I think it is fair to say that Lackey has pitched decently since coming of the DL.  I also think his biggest problem today was the 38 minute rain delay, which apparently caused him to lose control of his pitches, and I mean running right off the road into a tree loss of control.  Before the rain he went 3 innings and gave up 1 run. 

I'd hope he could keep it to 1 run in 3 innings. It could have been the rain delay, but 5 runs by the 5th isn't something that's out of character for him. I don't know if I consider a consistant 4 years per game great though. A 2 run/7 inning start wouldn't kill him now and then.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Lackey is an issue : In his first three starts after coming back from the DL, Lackey went 5.2, 6, and 8 innings and gave up 3, 4, and 4 runs against Oakland, Toronto, and Milwaukee--Toronto and Milwaukee offenses are among the top ten offenses in MLB.  So I think it is fair to say that Lackey has pitched decently since coming of the DL.  I also think his biggest problem today was the 38 minute rain delay, which apparently caused him to lose control of his pitches, and I mean running right off the road into a tree loss of control.  Before the rain he went 3 innings and gave up 1 run. 

I think we have to also look at how many innings he pitched while giving up those runs max.  There is a reason why Lackey has an era of 7.36.  In many cases he doesn't even go deep enough into the game to give our pen a break.  He also puts a lot of pressure on our offense.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

Personally I would say that while there is nothing to be comfortable about with Lackey's YTD performance that not very much should be concluded about today's rather unusual circumstances, between the start - stop and re-start and the weather conditions.

My biggest fear with Lackey is how tightly wound he is, that isn't a good thing for a pitcher struggling in the town where they play 162 regular season 7th games of the World Series.

Just my take

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karlosantonylimtiaco. Show Karlosantonylimtiaco's posts

The numbers don't lie! Look at the numbers! His era is off the charts. His pay is off the charts. He seems to cop an attitude whenever his teammates mess up. Not cool! He's not right. Something has to be fixed! On the other hand, I fear he is what we see him to be. If such is the case, the Boston Redsox got hosed on this one.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Modano09. Show Modano09's posts

I just don't see anything to back up defending him. Aside from the odd start here and there, he can't pitch deep into a game. The 6th is a long day for him. He's also typically going to give up 4 runs. A good game for him is 3 runs, a decent one is 4, and a bad day can be 5 or 6, again likely in 5 or 6 innings. That puts a lot of pressure on everyone else. The offense has to score a lot of runs, the bullpen has to be ready to eat up 3 or 4 innings. 

This is how it is with Lackey, more times than not. You can almost depend on 4 runs given up and 6 innings. Ignoring the money he's being paid to do that, you can survive on that from a 5th starter, but would you want him pitching an important playoff game? I sure wouldn't. And it's not like his pre-Boston career gives you a lot of faith in him either.

I'd also like to know how he is in the clubhouse. He seems to have an attitude when his teammates make a mistake, or don't get to a ball he thinks they should have, or don't make a play they probably couldn't make but he needs them to make to save his own behind....and he shot his mouth off about the Sox when they eliminated the Angels in 2009. The Sox weren't the better team, he was annoyed the Pedroia celebrated a double off the monster because he would have been an out anywhere else, Tori Hunter messed up and cost them the game...He seems like a guy who just can't back up his words and then either passes the blame on to others or gets defensive when others don't agree that he's not as bad as his numbers and performances suggest he is.