Lackey is an issue

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from davidap. Show davidap's posts

Re: Lackey is an issue

The Red Sox should consider trading their big contracts for another team's big contracts.

To New York Mets: John Lackey ($15.25 million in 2011, $15.25 million in 2012, $15.25 million in 2013, $15.25 million in 2014), Bobby Jenks ($6 million in 2011, $6 million in 2012), J.D Drew ($15 million in 2011) and Mike Cameron ($7.25 million in 2011).

To Boston Red Sox: Johan Santana ($22.5 million in 2011, $24 million in 2012, $25.5 million in 2013, $25 million team option or $5.5 million buy-out in 2014), Jason Bay ($16 million in 2011, $16 million in 2012, $16 million in 2013, $3 million buy-out for 2014), Francisco Rodriguez ($11 million in 2011, $17.5 million or $3.5 million buy-out in 2012).

For 2011, that's $43.5 million to New York and $49.5 million to Boston.

Savings for the Mets:
    2011 - $6 million.
    2012 - $24 million.
    2013 - $26 million.

Savings for the Red Sox:
    2014 - $7.5 million

Net Savings for the Mets: $48.5 million.

Why the Mets make this deal: The cash-strapped franchise saves nearly $50 million over the next 3 years, and still holds on to its most tradeable assets in Jose Reyes, David Wright and Carlos Beltran. John Lackey could excel in the National League and contribute immediately, whereas Johan Santana is older and struggling with injuries. The combination of J.D Drew and Mike Cameron would probably outperform what Jason Bay is presently giving them. Bobby Jenks could return to the closer's role.

Why the Red Sox make this deal: Johan Santana, if healthy, could give the team yet another ace headed towards the post-season. He's more likely to dominate than John Lackey. Jason Bay played very well during his time in Boston and could perhaps rediscover his swing in a return to Fenway. Francisco Rodriguez would vastly improve the bullpen for this year and would give the Red Sox leverage in negotiations with Jonathan Papelbon for 2012.

My final verdict: this would be a low risk/high reward deal for Boston as far as 2011 is concerned. For 2012 and 2013, it would be a 50/50 gamble. An ineffective Santana and Bay could hamstring the franchise for a couple years. Then again, I'd rather take my chances with Santana than Lackey, and that alone might be worth carrying Bay.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

In Response to Re: Lackey is an issue:
    Lacky is still better than 80% of the yankee starters maybe 90%
    Posted by can-you-dig-it

how can that be? isn't he the worst starter in baseball right now?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

Lackey has gone from bad to terrible.  An era of 4.40 last year was bad enough, but in the 7s. He must be hurt and trying to work through it.  He's not a good pitcher (certainly not worth the money) but he isn't usually this terrible bad. He should be able to have an ERA around 3.9.  Worse than what he put up on the West Coast, but that's to be expected since he has to face the Yanks so many times.
    Posted by DirtyWaterLover

his mind's not 100%. his wife has cancer. a few bad starts to boot and he feels his world is crumbling. probably feels helpless right now -- /> really low confidence. very very few mlb pitchers can be effective on the mound with what's going on in his head now.

i never was a big fan of lackey but i would take exception given the situation. i think he needs a VL right now. it would help him, his family and the team.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from aussiewill. Show aussiewill's posts

Even on ESPN they were talking about Lackey and what the Red Sox will do with the guy. They said the Sox can't leave Lackey in the rotation, if he continues on his present course. He has the worst ERA in MLB for a starting pitcher in any regular rotation (ESPN).

You couple Lackeys performance with DMAC's , Drew's , Crawfords and Cameron's, it is amazing they are in first place. Better hope , Ells, Papi, Gonzo don't came back to earth and start hitting their lifetime averages. Talk about dead weight, the Sox definitely have their share of it. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac32. Show pinstripezac32's posts

interesting post davidap

very interesting

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

Mets would not go near it. Drew/Cam are aging out - in any league. Lackey has elbow/family issues. Jenks is the wild card, but hardly worth losing KROD/BAY/Santana.

Best way to recoup losses is to field a winner.
    The Mets won't be any better off with this package.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In Response to Re: Lackey is an issue : his mind's not 100%. his wife has cancer. a few bad starts to boot and he feels his world is crumbling. probably feels helpless right now -- /> really low confidence. very very few mlb pitchers can be effective on the mound with what's going on in his head now. i never was a big fan of lackey but i would take exception given the situation. i think he needs a VL right now. it would help him, his family and the team.
    Posted by seattlepat70

Hey seattlepat, you are probably correct, throw in the fact Lackeys health may be "Dice K." not yet exposed to everyone and he is what he is.  I feel for the guy and the Sox for being faced with another one of these situations.  The best we can hope for is a successful season with or without Lackey help and just hope everything works itself out for the best.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

The pitching is in a potentially dire situation - even stomach flue's are taking our guys down.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

The pitching is in a potentially dire situation - even stomach flue's are taking our guys down.
    Posted by BurritoT

We could have a real issue Burrito.  Miller looks like he has the potential to really help our team and Wake has pitched well but the sooner Clay comes back the better.  Theo may be forced at some point to shelve Lackey and re-evaluate his health.  I really don't want to stoop so low we bring up Millwood but if things don't fall into place Theo may need a short term starter and more effective RF if we intend on doing real damage this season.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

Clay has been mediocre and now the DL, Lackey blows, Wake has been a blessing but it won't last, Dice is gone, Lester has been more good than great, and now the ACE has a sick tummy.

I am not making fun of this, I like most of our guys but we are hurtin.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

I don't think the Mets go for that deal,  I actually like it and think it looks really good on paper but the Mets won't want such age in return.  I would imagine they will find a contender who would be willing to give up some young talent for a rental to make a pennant run. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

I don't think the Mets go for that deal,  I actually like it and think it looks really good on paper but the Mets won't want such age in return.  I would imagine they will find a contender who would be willing to give up some young talent for a rental to make a pennant run. 
    Posted by ctredsoxfanhugh

I think the Sox need to watch the next few starts from Lackey and when Clay gets back put John through a series of real tests to determine his health.  If he has an arm problem just shut him down and take care of the problem instead of allowing him to pitch like Dice K.

Between this year and last I really have to question our team physicians ability to diagnose a problem the first time around.

Sections
Shortcuts