Lackey is the Key

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

Lackey is the Key

With the news that Buch is out for the season and the Sox picking up Bedard, Lackey suddenly because a very important piece to the puzzle.  The Sox cannot hope to do a lot of damage in the post season without a huge contribution from Lackey.

Lackey has either been very, very good or just plain terrible.  No in between.  He's either been lights out or terrible.  He's given up 5 or more earned runs 6 times this season.

But he's also given up 2 or fewer runs in 6 games.

If Lackey pitches up to his contract, the Sox chances of going to and winning a WS increase dramatically.  But if he doesn't get it together,  well, the chances of a riot in Kenmore Square in October are greatly diminished.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Re: Lackey is the Key

You know, you could be right.  I think the Sox signed him to be the #3, and lately he has looked like one.  If he delivers, it could make a big difference. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from crmn19. Show crmn19's posts

Agreed. Buchholz is coming off of one great season and he is certainly a very good pitcher, but he still is not tested over time as it were.  If Lackey comes up solid that will mean an awful lot.  With the expanded bullpens in the playoffs, you don't have to worry about the starters going seven (although in my view nine should be doable) if they do fine, but just pitch the game itself and don't put the team in a half-as**d position

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from CASox. Show CASox's posts

In Response to Re: Lackey is the Key:
    [QUOTE]Agreed. Buchholz is coming off of one great season and he is certainly a very good pitcher, but he still is not tested over time as it were.  If Lackey comes up solid that will mean an awful lot.  With the expanded bullpens in the playoffs, you don't have to worry about the starters going seven (although in my view nine should be doable) if they do fine, but just pitch the game itself and don't put the team in a half-as**d position
    Posted by crmn19[/QUOTE]

Ive been on Lackey's side since here in spite of his struggles but I have to say he just doesnt have it anymore....i watched him a lot with the Angels since I am in cali and let me say he was tough.... now he is a complete mess and to think he has the contract he has....has any reporter ever asked him why he struggles most all the time? If so, what was his response? 
    s

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from jamesey271975. Show jamesey271975's posts

In Response to Lackey is the Key:
    [QUOTE]With the news that Buch is out for the season and the Sox picking up Bedard, Lackey suddenly because a very important piece to the puzzle.  The Sox cannot hope to do a lot of damage in the post season without a huge contribution from Lackey. Lackey has either been very, very good or just plain terrible.  No in between.  He's either been lights out or terrible.  He's given up 5 or more earned runs 6 times this season. But he's also given up 2 or fewer runs in 6 games. If Lackey pitches up to his contract, the Sox chances of going to and winning a WS increase dramatically.  But if he doesn't get it together,  well, the chances of a riot in Kenmore Square in October are greatly diminished.
    Posted by DirtyWaterLover[/QUOTE]

I really hope youre wrong. Cos i have no faith in Lackey doing anything giving up 4-5 runs over 5-6 inns.  If we're counting on him we're in all kinds of trouble IMO. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

If only the Red Sox could have score 15 runs tonight Lackey would have got the "W".  We all know that is all that matters when gauging JL's value here with the team.

As a plus he managed to eat nearly 6 innings, as again we are told that eating innings has tremendous value.

Yay!!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from marstan. Show marstan's posts

In Response to Lackey is the Key:
    [QUOTE]With the news that Buch is out for the season and the Sox picking up Bedard, Lackey suddenly because a very important piece to the puzzle.  The Sox cannot hope to do a lot of damage in the post season without a huge contribution from Lackey. Lackey has either been very, very good or just plain terrible.  No in between.  He's either been lights out or terrible.  He's given up 5 or more earned runs 6 times this season. But he's also given up 2 or fewer runs in 6 games. If Lackey pitches up to his contract, the Sox chances of going to and winning a WS increase dramatically.  But if he doesn't get it together,  well, the chances of a riot in Kenmore Square in October are greatly diminished.
    Posted by DirtyWaterLover[/QUOTE]

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from marstan. Show marstan's posts

I HAVE TO AGREE WITH CAsox and JAMESEY IN THEIR
    ANALYSES OF LACKEY. THIS GUY IS GAME, BUT HE
    DOES NOT HAVE IT ANYMORE. HIS ARM IS A FIVE
    INNING ARM, AND HE ALLOWS TOO MANY RUNS IN
    HIS GAMES...USUALLY 4-6 RUNS BY THE MIDDLE OF
    THE GAME. HE IS NO BETTER THAN WAKE AT KEEPING
    THE SOX IN THE GAME. IN FACT WORSE. WE ARE
    IN DEEP PITCHING TROUBLE, AND DON'T BE AT ALL
    SURPRISED TO SEE THE YANKS IN 1st BY SUNDAY.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from The-Babe-------------. Show The-Babe-------------'s posts

[QUOTE]If only the Red Sox could have score 15 runs tonight Lackey would have got the "W".  We all know that is all that matters when gauging JL's value here with the team. As a plus he managed to eat nearly 6 innings, as again we are told that eating innings has tremendous value. Yay!!
    Posted by BurritoT[/QUOTE]

LOL....where's harness and jimdavis.......5....4...3....2....1...

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from sday4x4. Show sday4x4's posts

everybody needs to stop living and dying with every game.....look at the bigger picture...they are in first right now.....and haven't really gone into any extended losing streaks.....get behind the team...one bad game isn't making the season.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from CASox. Show CASox's posts

[QUOTE]everybody needs to stop living and dying with every game.....look at the bigger picture...they are in first right now.....and haven't really gone into any extended losing streaks.....get behind the team...one bad game isn't making the season.
    Posted by sday4x4[/QUOTE]

If it was one bad game by Lackey I doubt we'd be critical of him... lets face it he has been inconsistent since the Sox got him.... and most of us I looking at him going forward and not having a warm and fuzzy....

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from PawsoxPhil. Show PawsoxPhil's posts

How about Bard. Any comment on him?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from softylaw. Show softylaw's posts

Let us hope that Lackey is not the key.

When he starts, let us pray.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from tjwoods. Show tjwoods's posts

Lackey is not the key: Lester, Beckett, Wake, Bard and Paps are the keys. Imagine what this team would be doing with Carl C. batting .280. 

But it's always pitching in the end. Lackey is a number 4 or 5, always was. I 'm not sure he's even that anymore. Way too much $.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

actually tj, lackey was the ace of the 2007 angels staff, back when he was a young 28. He's 32, and should be in his pitching prime, and he saw a 6.20 ERA actually rise tonight. I just don't think a guy who averages 15 baserunners per 9 IP is a key to anything....a key to an outhouse?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from jtearle. Show jtearle's posts

they need to get rid of slakey

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from can-you-dig-it. Show can-you-dig-it's posts

[QUOTE]everybody needs to stop living and dying with every game.....look at the bigger picture...they are in first right now.....and haven't really gone into any extended losing streaks.....get behind the team...one bad game isn't making the season.
    Posted by sday4x4[/QUOTE]

great point sday4x4, the sox haven't had any significant losing stretches from the beginning of the year till now and I fully expect that to continue.  No need to get upset over one game.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from sday4x4. Show sday4x4's posts

if everyone performed to everyone's expectations this team would go 162-0.....players have off years....players have bad games.....they are still playing great ball.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Camelwalk. Show Camelwalk's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Lackey is the Key : great point sday4x4, the sox haven't had any significant losing stretches from the beginning of the year till now and I fully expect that to continue.  No need to get upset over one game.
    Posted by can-you-dig-it[/QUOTE]

Yes but there staff isn't built for the postseason

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

[QUOTE]How about Bard. Any comment on him?
    Posted by PawsoxPhil[/QUOTE]

Bard is home-grown, and above criticism, as are all home-grown players.
    The game was tied when Lackey departed. Their BP shut us down and ours gave it up. Poor base-running and questionable defense also contributed to the loss.
    Cabrera's 2-2run HR's didn't help either.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from the___yazzer. Show the___yazzer's posts

you're right; he's the SLACK-KEY.