Lackey is useless

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from frankn. Show frankn's posts

Re: Lackey is useless

He has more fortitude than Clement but not a bad comparison. I've felt bad for him because of what his wife is going through; however, it's a stinkin' pinball machine every time he takes the mound.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Many thought he was overpaid, but I don't recall anyone saying he would be this bad.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from canetime. Show canetime's posts

lackey will be our #5 pitcher for the next three years and i do not see any way we get out of it.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

In Response to Re: Lackey is useless:
    he was a way to save money instead of going after a good pitcher in my mind. then they also gave him too much for what he was. we have no one to count on after bedard in the playoffs. we have no reliable middle relief. all this was obvious to me going into the season.theo and management could have done better with middle relief prior to the season.  we have great hitting, but that alone wont guarantee a championship. texas and ny have equal or better chance and philly would be heavily favored with their rotation of #1's
    Posted by brdbreu

Yeah, they completely ignored that by only bringing in Jenks, Wheeler, Aceves, Albers, Reyes and Williams and bringing back Atchison and Hill. 

Given that middle relief is the most volatile position in all of baseball eyar to year, how could they better have handled it?  I assume you will provide us with insight and hindsight.  Mostly hindsight...

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

If his ERA goes to 8.00, should we still keep him at #5? 

There's a limit somewhere.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

What kills me is that they spent bad money b4 the 2010 season with Lackey at 85 million and Cameronn at 13 million. It would have been smarter tp get a Sabathia and bite the bullet on him and go the extra money instead of wasting 98 million on these two finished up players.
    Posted by AL34

You do realize that Sabathia cost $161mill.  Even if the Sox did not spend that money, they are still $63mill short.  Not to mention, one year too late since the Sox had signed neither of these guys prior to the 2008-2009 off-season when Sabathia was a free agent.

I know the answer is to go back in time and suddenly start naming names the Sox should not have signed while waiting for Sabathia, because Sox fans love inactivity during the off-season.  But those two signings had nothing to do with Sabathia, whom NY was going to get and everyone knew it since they missed the playoffs and were NOT going to miss out on the big name free agents as well...

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

typical performance, hey but he kept us in the game.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

To be somewhat fair, this was his first "awful" game since July 4th.  That's not saying every single start since then has been good but they all haven't been terrible.
    Posted by SoxPatsCelts1988

bologney

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

10 games since July 4th: 2 games with 2 or less ERs allowed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from joyceand. Show joyceand's posts

In Response to Re: Lackey is useless : It's like watching Matt Clement pitch again.  He gets in trouble and either gets lucky or completely falls apart at the seams.  No place for a guy like this in the AL East or PS.
    Posted by craze4sox

Totally agree, he's the worst.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from joyceand. Show joyceand's posts

Many thought he was overpaid, but I don't recall anyone saying he would be this bad.
    Posted by moonslav59

He always struggled at Fenway when he was with the Angels, it was a stupid as hell signing.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

Wake since July 4th: No games with 2 ER runs or less.

This thread echos the cries of children. SoxPatsCelts is right. Burrito is wrong again. Today's 6 runs allowed is the most since July 4th. Only one other time did Lackey give up more than 4 ER since July 4th.

Burrito doesn't even get access to most of the games...by his own admission.
    To educate the clueless, Lackey had given up 3 runs when he left in the 6th frame.
    Douby couldn't stop the bleeding, and 3 inherited runners scored (or are inherited runners only allowed to be posted when it comes to Wake?)

Lackey can be added to Papi, Wake and Tek as Burrito's favorite bashing targets. And this clown who rarely sees the games proclaims to ba a RedSox fan. What a joke.

Cue the Wake supporters...of which I am one.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

We sit here and talk about how maybe the WildCard is best so we don't have to face this team or that ace... the Yankees year in and year out obviously don't hold court to such absurd ideas as they take 1st nearly every year.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

you rang?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In Response to Re: Lackey is useless : He always struggled at Fenway when he was with the Angels, it was a stupid as hell signing.
    Posted by joyceand

Well, not "always"...

At Fenway:

'09  2.35  ERA (.712 OPS against)
    '08  2.00  ERA (.329)

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

I don't think Lackey was any different today than he mostly has been. The thing about John is that he is consistent, he simply gives up a lot of baserunners, which several come around and score. He either gets 1,2, or even 3 double plays to get himself out of jams (sometimes by his own good defense. It's just you almost never see him have a stalwart start. A start when he leaves is something like this: 7 IP, 4 Hits, 2 ER, 1 BB, 6 Ks.....this type of start is absolutely impossible for 2011 Lackey. He just cannot stop any lineup. He doesn't have the fastball to offset his breaking stuff. He is not a menacing pitcher, and he is around the plate too much. He doesn't go corners, he goes often right into the heart of home plate. He should learn something from Mo Rivera. He doesn't have the control to go corners often enough. When he falls behind in the count, you usually see him giving in to hitters. I'm sorry, I wanted him badly to throw well today. This would have been the game for him to do a shutdown on a team. But it didn't happen, so we move on to the next game.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Goofywocky. Show Goofywocky's posts

Before today's debacle, Lackey had gone 7-2 with a 4.22 ERA in his last 10 starts. He is still a bad signing.  And the red sox O is inconsistent with 19 wins where they score 10 or more runs.  What good is that when you drop close games in between their blowouts?  Winning 15-5 and then losing 4-2 still leaves the team 1-1.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

And in less than a series, Tim Wakefield went from no shot at making the postseason roster to maybe he gets another rotation bid. I'd have Varitek catch Wakefield in the Toronto start, but I bet Tito won't take into consideration that Jason did some things differently with Tim that worked well. I like Salty, but then I like Salty with Andrew Miller for the same reasons I want Jason with Tim. If it's working well, go with it.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from S0ftl@w. Show S0ftl@w's posts

During the Big 3 FA year of Slacke/Bay/Holliday, I said not to sign him or any of the 3. I wanted money spent year to year on Bedard and Harden, becuase there was no FA or value trade for a good starter. I had hoped that his signing prevented Theo from blowing money on Holliday, but then came Crawford.

That said, I'll take Slackey over Wastefield. At his best, Slackey can beat the best teams. At his best, Wastefield can't hardly reach over his belly and tie his shoes. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

It will take one or two more bad Miller starts to happen, except for the double header vs Baltimore. That could be Wake's only chance.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

softlaw, Texas is one of the best teams....

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from S0ftl@w. Show S0ftl@w's posts

Wastefield doesnt deserve any more chances. 45 years old, portly, and an ERA over 5 for over 2 years. Even if youth is a little bit worse in averages, you hang Wastefield up for good.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Has John Lackey even had 4 innings spread out over his last 8 starts as easy as Tim had consecutively v. Texas just the other night?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

I don't think Lackey was any different today than he mostly has been. The thing about John is that he is consistent, he simply gives up a lot of baserunners, which several come around and score. He either gets 1,2, or even 3 double plays to get himself out of jams (sometimes by his own good defense. It's just you almost never see him have a stalwart start. A start when he leaves is something like this: 7 IP, 4 Hits, 2 ER, 1 BB, 6 Ks.....this type of start is absolutely impossible for 2011 Lackey. He just cannot stop any lineup. He doesn't have the fastball to offset his breaking stuff. He is not a menacing pitcher, and he is around the plate too much. He doesn't go corners, he goes often right into the heart of home plate. He should learn something from Mo Rivera. He doesn't have the control to go corners often enough. When he falls behind in the count, you usually see him giving in to hitters. I'm sorry, I wanted him badly to throw well today. This would have been the game for him to do a shutdown on a team. But it didn't happen, so we move on to the next game.
    Posted by dannycater

Exactly. Lackey doesn't fare well against the league's better hitting line-ups. That was his M.O. in CA.

As for 2011 good pitching lines, here are 5 of his 2011 starts:

6 IP     4 H  1 ER
    8 IP     6 H  0 ER
    6.6 IP  3 H  0 ER
    7 IP     8 H  2 ER (vs. Phillies)
    7 IP     8 H  1 ER

His fastball is at 93 MPH, which is what it was in CA. His stuff is better suited to weaker competition. Because of the break of his off-speed stuff, he is more effective against RH hitters. (RH .262 OPP BA/LH .329 OPP BA).

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

We need a couple of starts like these real soon.

Sections
Shortcuts