Lackey "not worried about money..." Next Year

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Lackey "not worried about money..." Next Year

As I suggested earlier, Lackey will not gripe about playing for the minimum next year, but we may decide to extend him a year or two with a bonus paid next year ANYWAY.

MLBTR

• Sam and Seth Levinson, the agents for Jon Lester and several other Red Sox players, have arrived in Fort Myers, reports WEEI.com's Rob Bradford. It is not yet known whether they will engage in talks with GM Ben Cherington regarding a new deal for Lester, but Cherington has made clear that he would to keep negotiations to the spring.
    • Fellow Sox starter John Lackey says he is not worried about the fact that he'll be subject to a league-minimum club option net year, writes Bradford"It's different," said Lackey. "There will be some things I will have to think about, for sure." But he says he isn't worried about that now. "I haven't even gotten to that point of thinking that far ahead," Lackey said. "We'll play this year out and see what happens. I'm not worried about the money. I've made plenty of that."

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

Re: Lackey

if he puts up similar #'s to last year this will be THE story of 2014 offseason in RSN.....

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to slasher9's comment:
    [QUOTE]

if he puts up similar #'s to last year this will be THE story of 2014 offseason in RSN.....

[/QUOTE]

He got paid over $15M in 2012 to not pitch at all- it all evens out.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

I think Lackey is smart enough to know that he holds the "KEY TO THE VAULT", DEPENDING WHAT happens this year......  More so than "BIG PAPI"  !!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to Bill-806's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I think Lackey is smart enough to know that he holds the "KEY TO THE VAULT", DEPENDING WHAT happens this year......  More so than "BIG PAPI"  !!

[/QUOTE]

Ben holds the key to what John gets paid for in 2015.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]If Lackey has another STRONG year, he will GET PAID, by the Sox or another team !!  His VALUE will carry the day !!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I agree totally. He knew what he was getting into when he signed it.

If he keeps his mouth closed, and plays at the minimum next season...I can't imagine how the fans would react. You can't buy that kind of thing. I could see standing ovation his first home start, for nothing other than silently honoring his contract.

It will certainly be interesting to see how it turns out.

He answered the question in the least controversial way possible, and one that will ensure this talk goes away quickly.

If he has a good 2014, I'm willing to bet they tack on a 1@15-17 at the end. He will be, 37 at that point I think. Or maybe he goes out and lands a FA deal as a reliable veteran pitcher who has now proven (amazingly) to be a solid clubhouse guy and teammate, and good role model for younger pitchers, and someone who doesn't create controversy.

Just playing that season out next year could pay off for him in many ways.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from shotsy. Show shotsy's posts

He won`t be going to the food stamp line anytime soon.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]If Lackey has another STRONG year, he will GET PAID, by the Sox or another team !!  His VALUE will carry the day !!

[/QUOTE]

He's not a free agent after this year BILL. The Sox have an option at the league minimum due to the injury clause in the contract lackey signed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to ma6dragon9's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I agree totally. He knew what he was getting into when he signed it.

If he keeps his mouth closed, and plays at the minimum next season...I can't imagine how the fans would react. You can't buy that kind of thing. I could see standing ovation his first home start, for nothing other than silently honoring his contract.

It will certainly be interesting to see how it turns out.

He answered the question in the least controversial way possible, and one that will ensure this talk goes away quickly.

If he has a good 2014, I'm willing to bet they tack on a 1@15-17 at the end. He will be, 37 at that point I think. Or maybe he goes out and lands a FA deal as a reliable veteran pitcher who has now proven (amazingly) to be a solid clubhouse guy and teammate, and good role model for younger pitchers, and someone who doesn't create controversy.

Just playing that season out next year could pay off for him in many ways.

[/QUOTE]

I could see Ben doing him a favor by extending him 1 year at about $16M, but part of it would be a signing bonus that is paid out in 2015, so essentially, he get's $8M for 2015 and $8M for 2016.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to FajitaT's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Dude they will let him walk or trade him... he will never get an extension.

[/QUOTE]

If he pitches well in 2014, a 1 year extension is not out of the question.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

I think if he pitches well they may give him a extension instead of picking up the option. It would just be better for both sides.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

I don't see the extension myself, though it's certainly possible.  Lackey will be 37.5 entering the 2016 season.  I think the Red Sox will let it play out.  A lot depends on how their pitching prospects develop. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Speaking of getting paid for not playing, Vernon Wells will make $21 million in 2014 ($2.4 million from the Yankees and another $18.6 from the Angels).  

Also, the Mets continue to pay Bobby Bonilla $1.2 million per year.  So in 2013, Bonilla made more money than Trout.   LOL

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to BosoxJoe5's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I think if he pitches well they may give him a extension instead of picking up the option. It would just be better for both sides.

[/QUOTE]

It's better for Lackey to get paid $8M in 2015 and $8M in 2016 than $800K in 2015 and $14.2M in 2016. The money up front would tip the balance for him so sign.

For the Sox, unless he will be a QO free agent after 2015, and extension might work best, but I suppose of the extension is going to be worth over $15M, that will be about what the QO will be by 2016.

Close call.

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from mudbutter. Show mudbutter's posts

It's a PR move.  Cheaters like him are always worried about the money.

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

...just wondering where all those posters are that said he'd never play for the minimum.

20. This post has been removed.