Lackey now over.500

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Re: Lackey now over.500

Mike Mussina got 26 straight outs at Fenway one night. I've seen him get lit up in the 1st inning of a game at Anaheim. Shouldn't he automatically be pitching worse in Fenway?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Now, I'm going to defend Lackey. He's thrown a lot better since the Toronto start, including 2 very strong outings. And his team has won the last 4 games he's started as harness has said. With Clay out and Miller/Weiland not answers, Lackey will be asked to continue pitching and I hope he wins every one of his starts, 6 ERA, 3 ERA, 1 ERA, 10 ERA. Why? Because I still think ERA is over-rated.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

The biggest thing in a start is does my team have the lead when I leave the game. Did I get through 7 innings? These are way more important than ERA overall.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

How old was he? Can he duplicate that now? Is he the same pitcher now?
    You want a 38 year-old pitcher who has 6 wins by the 29th of July - pitching in the N.L. - facing no DH and the opposing pitcher 3 times a game???

In Lowe's hey day, Fenway didn't compromise him as it did Wake for obvious reasons. Lowe is a worm digger. Are you saying a player playing his whole career in Fenway would equate to playing in Chicago?
    Ask Fisk which park he preferred. Rice was a Fenway product.
    Wake in the N.L. his whole career and we're talking HOF numbers.

That's it. This subject matter needs it's own thread...

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

The counter point to the last post is I can't always determine if I have a lead when I leave if I throw really well, but the other starter is shutting my team's offense down. At that point, it's now really about the 7 innings of work and keeping my team in the game, whether its' down by 1 or tied or ahead by 2. Wakefield did exactly what he could hope to do tonight, and it wasn't enough, and for fans of wins/losses, somehow it's a negative. I see tonight as a brilliant start that the Sox unfortunately didn't take advantage of.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

In Response to Re: Lackey now over.500:
    [QUOTE]How old was he? Can he duplicate that now? Is he the same pitcher now? You want a 38 year-old pitcher who has 6 wins by the 29th of July - pitching in the N.L. - facing no DH and the opposing pitcher 3 times a game??? In Lowe's hey day, Fenway didn't compromise him as it did Wake for obvious reasons. Lowe is a worm digger. Are you saying a player playing his whole career in Fenway would equate to playing in Chicago? Ask Fisk which park he preferred. Rice was a Fenway product. Wake in the N.L. his whole career and we're talking HOF numbers. That's it. This subject matter needs it's own thread...
    Posted by harness[/QUOTE]

I can just imagine the reaction of Lord Voldemort.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

harness, I actually agree with you on if Tim had harnessed his knuckelball in time to not be jetisoned from Pirates. He probably would have won 250 games in the NL. I'm not asking for Lowe now. I didn't say trade for him. I did say I'd rather have him only because of the versatility factor as a postseason pitcher--relief and start.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

[QUOTE]The biggest thing in a start is does my team have the lead when I leave the game. Did I get through 7 innings? These are way more important than ERA overall.
    Posted by dannycater[/QUOTE]

My only thought when leaving the mound was the game score.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Agree or not, Wakefield has pitched about as well as I could hope for considering his role.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

One personal anecdote about Lowe; his first couple of yrs, he pitched into hard luck and had no wins as an "up and downer". I was sitting in the bleachers watching him warm up at FW (seats are more comfy there) and remember saying at the time "This guy is the best pitcher I've ever seen who has never won a game". Although no HOFer, the rest, they, say, is history.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

harness, game score can't always be determined by the SP. Defense can kill you. No offense behind you can kill you. It's just not that plain and simple.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

[QUOTE]Mike Mussina got 26 straight outs at Fenway one night. I've seen him get lit up in the 1st inning of a game at Anaheim. Shouldn't he automatically be pitching worse in Fenway?

No. That's why I say pitching is the predominant factor.
    A pitcher can dominate in any one outing anywhere.

Venue plays out over time. We saw it tonight.
    But both pitchers are to be credited regardless.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

[QUOTE]The counter point to the last post is I can't always determine if I have a lead when I leave if I throw really well, but the other starter is shutting my team's offense down. At that point, it's now really about the 7 innings of work and keeping my team in the game, whether its' down by 1 or tied or ahead by 2. Wakefield did exactly what he could hope to do tonight, and it wasn't enough, and for fans of wins/losses, somehow it's a negative. I see tonight as a brilliant start that the Sox unfortunately didn't take advantage of.

I see tonight as a nice Wake rebound, taking advantage of park dimensions.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

It's a begrudging way for you to "praise" Tim for giving up 2 legit hits all night.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

[QUOTE]harness, game score can't always be determined by the SP. Defense can kill you. No offense behind you can kill you. It's just not that plain and simple.

Very little in baseball is "plain and simple".
    I'm not isolating venue as the tell-all
    But I am pointing out it's relevance.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Wouldn't you be ecstatic had Lackey thrown a similar outing? Or more ecstatic had the Sox won 4-3?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Park relevance or not, AGON wasn't in the lineup either. And that is relevant, and that is plain and simple.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

Very true.

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

I see this thread now needs fumigating.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

LOL, harns

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from -TheBabe---------------------. Show -TheBabe---------------------'s posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Lackey now over.500 : Man, you don't get it. I said he was inked for pitching depth. He is a 14-game winner from a winning franchise. That is what the FO signed. What they or the fans think that'll equate to in Boston is largely based on unrealistic/salary based expectation. As for the game, you claim you saw the whole picture , and I'm trying to show you that you never did. You think a Fenway game in July is the same thing as a game in Sept. when the wind holds up dingers that would be gone in July/August. Or that pitching in Boston is the same as pitching in CA. Your take is limited to numbers, not venue or time of year. Chen got lit up on a night when the ball was flying out like a superball.That's why he let up a 13-season , career   high   10 runs. UNDER THE SAME CONDITIONS, Lackey allowed his team to win. Try expanding your vision.

No, you don't get it. lackluster was not given that contract to provide pitching depth. He was given that contract to be a front of the rotation starter.

You really make yourself look foolish with your blind homer attempts to support all thing theo and the red flops.

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Lackey now over.500 : No, you don't get it. lackluster was not given that contract to provide pitching depth. He was given that contract to be a front of the rotation starter. You really make yourself look foolish with your blind homer attempts to support all thing theo and the red flops.
    Posted by -TheBabe---------------------[/QUOTE]

Was he signed to replace the status of Josh/Lester?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from -The------Babe. Show -The------Babe's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Lackey now over.500 : Was he signed to replace the status of Josh/Lester?

So he was given $80M+ to insure pitching depth?