Lackey says he WILL pitch well this year!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from RSdirtdogOR. Show RSdirtdogOR's posts

Lackey says he WILL pitch well this year!

As a long time BASHER of Lackey, from the minute I saw the "3 Horsemen" take their perp walk in ST his first year, I couldn't stand the guy from the word go.  I knew he was bad news for this team, & I was VERY VOCAL in saying so that ST.  I know he is universally hailed as a "GREAT TEAMMATE" by 99% of his past & present teammates, as he sounds like one hell of a nice guy.  Unfortunately, everything I've seen so far tells me he "LEADS" in all the wrong ways.  Nice guys don't always make good leaders.  Keeping guys loose is not always a good thing.  I firmly believe his form of keeping guys loose leads them to apathy & failure.  AT LEAST SO FAR!!!!!!

Having said all this......  I'm willing to bury the hatchet with Lackey.  I'm more than willing to become his biggest fan!  If he comes to ST ripped, roaring, & ready to go???  I will love the guy like nobody's business.  I love SECOND CHANCES, so I am rooting for the guy to really step it up.  I don't really want to hear about the "injury!"  Move on!  No excuses!!!  Just get it done!!  Time to put on the big boy pants, buck up, & become the kind of teammate the young guys REALLY NEED!  They don't need you to buy them a suit & 10 pitchers, they need to see you work your arrrcs off & do whatever it takes to get back to some semblance of MLB pitching form.

Good article on the front RS page of BDC!

Now go get 'em Johnny!  We've got your back!!!  Just don't pizz us off!  :)

2. This post has been removed.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from 808soxfan. Show 808soxfan's posts

Re: Lackey says he WILL pitch well this year!

I hope Lackey pitches well also. The guy pitches for us, so I hope he has a career year.

I don't think he will, but it would be great if he pitches his way to an All-Star spot. What a trade chip with his inexpensive final year!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

It's not Lackey's fault that the Red Sox threw a ton of dough at him, dispite his having a suspect elbow...an ailment that gave the Angels pause in offering him an new deal and one that compelled the Red Sox to insert an injury clause into his contract protecting themselves against his needing surgery. A clause that in hindsight proved profetic and one that will now allow the Red Sox to recoup his lost season of 2012...

Lost in all of the noise surronding the team and Lackey himself is the guy, dispite trying to pitch through pain with diminished stuff for the better part of two seasons. Which was confirmed when he finally succumbed to the pain and was shut down...The inevitable TJ /diagnosis/surgery. For the better part of two seasons he still took the ball every 5 days and gave it his all, but was clearly not the Lackey we thought we were gettin"for sure"

In the end one can probably question his motive for trying to pitch through the pain, likely he was trying to aviod triggering the injury clause but it also speaks to his being accountable. His detractors will look for every opportunity to bury the guy, while his supporters will gleen through the stats trying present a case for renewed support for him. Time will tell if he can indeed rediscover his stuff and return to the top of the rotation talent we thought we were getting...This much I know to be true, the guy wants to win and will in the interest of competition take the ball every 5 days and leave it on the field "for sure"...

Love em or hate em, if your a Red Sox fan you gotta in full throat support the guy. Because it's in the best interest of all parties that he pitches well. Those that hate him, if he pitches well and is healthy his value on the trade market would then allow the Sox to move him. If you love em, his return to form bodes well for the team in the near term...

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

This post has been removed, even before it was posted. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from never1954. Show never1954's posts

fingers crossed

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

god the sox look like a lousy team this year....what a starting nine...and now lackey is back

gag

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from garyhow. Show garyhow's posts

Look the guy pitched hurt for over 2 years. Maybe he didn't want to have surgery because he would not get big pay day and once he signed he didn't want to let new team down, understood. But if healthy no more excuses, needs to go out and pitch like the pitcher the RS thought they were when they signed him. He would be a huge help if able to pitch like his Angel days.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

Well I'm glad that was cleared up! :)

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

If Lackey finishes 2013 with an ERA of around 4.50 or less then I will be happy.  

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from RSdirtdogOR. Show RSdirtdogOR's posts

In response to Beantowne's comment:

It's not Lackey's fault that the Red Sox threw a ton of dough at him, dispite his having a suspect elbow...an ailment that gave the Angels pause in offering him an new deal and one that compelled the Red Sox to insert an injury clause into his contract protecting themselves against his needing surgery. A clause that in hindsight proved profetic and one that will now allow the Red Sox to recoup his lost season of 2012...

Lost in all of the noise surronding the team and Lackey himself is the guy, dispite trying to pitch through pain with diminished stuff for the better part of two seasons. Which was confirmed when he finally succumbed to the pain and was shut down...The inevitable TJ /diagnosis/surgery. For the better part of two seasons he still took the ball every 5 days and gave it his all, but was clearly not the Lackey we thought we were gettin"for sure"

In the end one can probably question his motive for trying to pitch through the pain, likely he was trying to aviod triggering the injury clause but it also speaks to his being accountable. His detractors will look for every opportunity to bury the guy, while his supporters will gleen through the stats trying present a case for renewed support for him. Time will tell if he can indeed rediscover his stuff and return to the top of the rotation talent we thought we were getting...This much I know to be true, the guy wants to win and will in the interest of competition take the ball every 5 days and leave it on the field "for sure"...

Love em or hate em, if your a Red Sox fan you gotta in full throat support the guy. Because it's in the best interest of all parties that he pitches well. Those that hate him, if he pitches well and is healthy his value on the trade market would then allow the Sox to move him. If you love em, his return to form bodes well for the team in the near term...

All true, & well said.  I'm certainly rooting for him to pitch well!!!!  He's our bumb, & therefor I will pray he can do the unlikely, & pitch well from the get go.

I still have major reservations about his de facto leadership role as a "well liked and respected team member."  I have long contended, since day one, that his personality is a drag on his teammates.  I personally believe he drags guys toward apathy, based solely on reading between the lines.  It seems clear to me that he had a profoundly negative effect on Beckett, Lester, & Buc, with respect to their mental game!  If he comes out of the box, between the lines, ALL BUSINESS!  All about redemption, & busting his tail to find his form!  In great shape!  I'm behind him 100%!!!  No doubt I'll be behind him 100% no matter what, every time he takes the mound.  I just pray he has done a little bit of soul searching with respect to his part in bringing down this pitching staff over the past 3 years!!!! 

If he comes back s hitting the bed, no doubt I will rip him to sheds!  Sorry!!!  I don't have much patience with the guy at this point!  Just get it done, & don't talk to me about finding your form & TRYING to hit your spots!  Just get it done!  No excuses!  Any BS with respect to leading guys astray, dump him ASAP! 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

In response to georom4's comment:

god the sox look like a lousy team this year....what a starting nine...and now lackey is back

gag

I'm pretty sure Tampa needs fans...

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

In response to RSdirtdogOR's comment:

As a long time BASHER of Lackey, from the minute I saw the "3 Horsemen" take their perp walk in ST his first year, I couldn't stand the guy from the word go.  I knew he was bad news for this team, & I was VERY VOCAL in saying so that ST.  I know he is universally hailed as a "GREAT TEAMMATE" by 99% of his past & present teammates, as he sounds like one hell of a nice guy.  Unfortunately, everything I've seen so far tells me he "LEADS" in all the wrong ways.  Nice guys don't always make good leaders.  Keeping guys loose is not always a good thing.  I firmly believe his form of keeping guys loose leads them to apathy & failure.  AT LEAST SO FAR!!!!!!

Having said all this......  I'm willing to bury the hatchet with Lackey.  I'm more than willing to become his biggest fan!  If he comes to ST ripped, roaring, & ready to go???  I will love the guy like nobody's business.  I love SECOND CHANCES, so I am rooting for the guy to really step it up.  I don't really want to hear about the "injury!"  Move on!  No excuses!!!  Just get it done!!  Time to put on the big boy pants, buck up, & become the kind of teammate the young guys REALLY NEED!  They don't need you to buy them a suit & 10 pitchers, they need to see you work your arrrcs off & do whatever it takes to get back to some semblance of MLB pitching form.

BTW, your picture makes me crazy nostalgic. I was lucky enough to have been born and raised on the Cape, but haven't been back in 10+ years.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

Matt Kemp publicly promised that he will have 50-50 season in 2012 after losing out on MVP race against Braun even though Kemp was a HR away from 40-40.  He only played 106 games in 2012.  I hope Lackey keeps his promise.  I say 15-8 and ERA around 3.80 would do it.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

In response to carnie's comment:

gag

I'm pretty sure Tampa needs fans...

I think the Rays will beat the Marlins in attendance in 2013.   LOL

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

gag

Come on geo give'em a chance.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

In response to RSdirtdogOR's comment:

OK ... question....If your telling the truth about Lackey....( I will love him like nobody's business ) Maybe, just maybe, you two can get a room sometime.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

https://twitter.com/PeteAbe/status/299539026409574400/photo/1

Sure looks like Lackey dropped a lot of weight.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

gag

great post.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to ThefourBs' comment:

https://twitter.com/PeteAbe/status/299539026409574400/photo/1

Sure looks like Lackey dropped a lot of weight.

Yeah, hes looking in prime shape. If he can get 12-14 wins with an ERA in the low 4's, Ill be happy.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Lets just say Lackey goes 15-10 with a 3.80 era over 200 IP.  Where will all the haters be then?????

FWIW I don't see that happening, but it's nice to see him trying. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:

Lets just say Lackey goes 15-10 with a 3.80 era over 200 IP.  Where will all the haters be then?????

FWIW I don't see that happening, but it's nice to see him trying. 

they will still find something to cry about.. they always do.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

He's as competetive as they come. Hopefully, that rubs off on the other four.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

Lackey?

man we have scraped rock bottom....

this is the worst starting nine easily of the last decade...

but i am glad Space is psyched up for this crew...