Lackey says he WILL pitch well this year!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

Re: Lackey says he WILL pitch well this year!

In response to georom4's comment:

Lackey?

man we have scraped rock bottom....

this is the worst starting nine easily of the last decade...

but i am glad Space is psyched up for this crew...

And I'm glad you have something to whinge about.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BMav. Show BMav's posts

Between 2005 and 2010, Lackey ranked 7th in WAR. Here is the top 10.....

1-Halladay 37.0
    2-Sabathia 35.8
    3-Santana 30.4
    4-Haren 29.8
    5-Oswalt 27.6
    6-Lee 27.6
    7-Lackey 27.5
    8-Hernandez 26.9
    9-Verlander 25.4
    10-Webb 25.0

Pretty good company. In those 6 seasons, he was 83-49 3.65. The last 3 seasons he struggled with the elbow, which hurt his stats. Between 2005-2007 he ranked as the 3rd best starter in baseball.

If!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Lackey?

whatever good brother.  if it floats your boat to whine and be pessimistic, enjoy, which it seems like you are doing since you can't seem to stop.  As i have said before, don't get it twisted:  My Sox fan hope and exuberance is not blind optimism, but rather a choice I make in how I want to spend my precious leisure time.  

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

space...happy unicorn hunting...god  bless ya

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

space...happy unicorn hunting...god  bless ya

Your willful narrow interpretation of my modus operendi is in keeping with your willful narrow interpretation of Sox matters.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from RSdirtdogOR. Show RSdirtdogOR's posts

So I'm confused BDC....  My most just got removed because I said I'd give Lackey a big wet kiss if he didn't ______ (the s word for stink?)  Are you serious?  I think you guys are getting a bit nutty?  Do you guys seriously have this much time on your hands?  I wonder what you guys have to say about U.S. citizens getting "droned?"  Probably not concerned about that anymore?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from RSdirtdogOR. Show RSdirtdogOR's posts

ooops!  Sorry!  I didn't say mother may I criticize you!   My bad!  Please don't ban me!

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from 56redsox. Show 56redsox's posts

Nothing Says He Wont, Lackey RedSox Rock...............

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from RSdirtdogOR. Show RSdirtdogOR's posts

In response to 56redsox's comment:

Nothing Says He Wont, Lackey RedSox Rock...............

He won't what.  Not _____  (s word for stink?).  Please note the double-negative. :)

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from RSdirtdogOR. Show RSdirtdogOR's posts

What does Bill's dad have to say about a relevant thread?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Schumpeters-Ghost. Show Schumpeters-Ghost's posts

Buchholz says he expects Lackey to be the Ace of teh staff this year.

I actually like that they are talking like this - I like the confidence.

Hopefully he is comeback player of the year.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to HelloItsMeAgain1's comment:

In response to BMav's comment:

Between 2005 and 2010, Lackey ranked 7th in WAR. Here is the top 10.....

1-Halladay 37.0
    2-Sabathia 35.8
    3-Santana 30.4
    4-Haren 29.8
    5-Oswalt 27.6
    6-Lee 27.6
    7-Lackey 27.5
    8-Hernandez 26.9
    9-Verlander 25.4
    10-Webb 25.0

Pretty good company. In those 6 seasons, he was 83-49 3.65. The last 3 seasons he struggled with the elbow, which hurt his stats. Between 2005-2007 he ranked as the 3rd best starter in baseball.

If!

Shows you how flawed WAR is............

or how devestating elbow injuries are for pitchers...

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to Schumpeters-Ghost's comment:

Comeback player of the year is def a possibility and one that I think Lackey can achieve. He looks like hes really done a lot of work and put in some time on his physique. That tells me hes on a mission. Hopefully thats good news for the Sox. He certainly can be the leader of this rotation.

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

So one of two things need to happen for lackey to be the "Ace" of the staff.

1) He puts up basically what would be close to a career year for him at age 34 coming off major arm surgery

or

2) The rest of the staff performs poorly so a mediocre pitcher is declared the "Ace" of the staff. 

2004 still hurts you, doesn't it.  Do you wake up in the middle of the night sweating, checking your ankle to see if it is bleeding?  Does Johnny Damon hit those two Game 7 home runs in a Yankee uniform in your nightmares?  Do you still wince a little when David Ortiz is standing in the on deck circle, even now?  Do you sometimes catch yourself wanting to chant "1918" during a Sox/Yankee game after the Yankees take a lead?  It's okay.  It'll get better over time.  Heckling Red Sox fans on Red Sox message board is all part of the healing. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

In response to jasko2248's comment:

So one of two things need to happen for lackey to be the "Ace" of the staff.

1) He puts up basically what would be close to a career year for him at age 34 coming off major arm surgery

or

2) The rest of the staff performs poorly so a mediocre pitcher is declared the "Ace" of the staff. 

2004 still hurts you, doesn't it.  Do you wake up in the middle of the night sweating, checking your ankle to see if it is bleeding?  Do you literally want to punch Curt Schilling in the face every time you see him on ESPN (You're probably not alone)? Does Johnny Damon hit those two Game 7 home runs in a Yankee uniform in your nightmares?  Do you still wince a little when David Ortiz is standing in the on deck circle, even now?  Do you sometimes catch yourself wanting to chant "1918" during a Sox/Yankee game after the Yankees take a lead?  It's okay.  It'll get better over time.  Heckling Red Sox fans on Red Sox message board is all part of the healing. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSox_Giants_Devils_Nicks. Show RedSox_Giants_Devils_Nicks's posts

Fool Me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on you also. I HATE Lackey after defending him vigorously for 2 seasons... Earn my trust back if you can

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

cant wait for the "ace" to throw his teammates under the bus when someone makes an error...this salami will be gone by the all star break....he is next on the beckett list

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

Georom I'm all for skepticism but writing off the season before it even starts is as small minded as it gets. On paper this team could be bad but it could also be pretty good. Ok, it doesn't look like a championship team but sometimes teams with lesser talent that find a scrappy chemistry can have a fine season. Not sure why you feel the need to throw in the towel so soon, it's like you cancelled a blind date because you decided the girl had to be ugly. 

You don't know. No one does. That's why they play the games. 

But as for the OP and Lackey specifically, I'm pretty certain he's going to s***k. But that said I really hope he proves me wrong because a great year from Lackey would help our pitching staff out tremendously. So, I'll be the first to say I hope I'm wrong about this one and I do like Lackey's fire in the live interviews I have seen, it's less what he says than the attitude. Hope it works. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

god the sox look like a lousy team this year....what a starting nine...and now lackey is back

gag

Tag bet, or have you learned you rlesson?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Lackey?

Tag bet, or have you learned your lesson?

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from RSdirtdogOR. Show RSdirtdogOR's posts

In response to Triumph-'s comment:

In response to RSdirtdogOR's comment:

As a long time BASHER of Lackey, from the minute I saw the "3 Horsemen" take their perp walk in ST his first year, I couldn't stand the guy from the word go.  I knew he was bad news for this team, & I was VERY VOCAL in saying so that ST.  I know he is universally hailed as a "GREAT TEAMMATE" by 99% of his past & present teammates, as he sounds like one hell of a nice guy.  Unfortunately, everything I've seen so far tells me he "LEADS" in all the wrong ways.  Nice guys don't always make good leaders.  Keeping guys loose is not always a good thing.  I firmly believe his form of keeping guys loose leads them to apathy & failure.  AT LEAST SO FAR!!!!!!

Having said all this......  I'm willing to bury the hatchet with Lackey.  I'm more than willing to become his biggest fan!  If he comes to ST ripped, roaring, & ready to go???  I will love the guy like nobody's business.  I love SECOND CHANCES, so I am rooting for the guy to really step it up.  I don't really want to hear about the "injury!"  Move on!  No excuses!!!  Just get it done!!  Time to put on the big boy pants, buck up, & become the kind of teammate the young guys REALLY NEED!  They don't need you to buy them a suit & 10 pitchers, they need to see you work your arrrcs off & do whatever it takes to get back to some semblance of MLB pitching form.

Good article on the front RS page of BDC!

Now go get 'em Johnny!  We've got your back!!!  Just don't pizz us off!  :) 

yawn

Congrats Triumph!  The most intelligible response I have ever seen from you.   :)

Cuddos!  +1  :)

Sections
Shortcuts