Lackey showing up Francona on national TV yesterday.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hetchinspete. Show Hetchinspete's posts

Lackey showing up Francona on national TV yesterday.

I'm usually one to give the benefit of the doubt to players and can't stand when a few trolls refer to players such as one calling Lackey, Slackey, but yesterday in front of a national audience John Lackey went all too far showing up his manager. I know a few on this site who obviously do not like Tito no matter what he does would probably say nothing was said to Lackey afterwards because Tito is a player's manager who coddles his player, but after Lackey's reaction being taken out of the game something must have been said. 

Lackey was obviously pretty upset over being taken out as it looked like reading his lips "I don't f--kin believe this" came out of his mouth when he saw Tito headed his way, and the "F' word definitely came out a second time. Then as he left the mound he looked back over his shoulder at Francona. I understand Lackey's competitive nature but you do not show up your manager that way.

I'm hoping Lackey got a good tongue lashing for this one. 

Hetchinspete.     

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

Re: Lackey showing up Francona on national TV yesterday.

I like that he cares, that he has fire, etc. But you have to channel it. I doubt Tito cares all that much about Lackey yelling at him, but there is no excuse in Lackey getting pissed at teammates making fielding mistakes. They don't yell at him when he gives up double after double. There's no grey area there ... you can't get pissed at your teammates on the field, period. You want to scream at them in the locker room, that's another matter.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Lackey being Lackey....i'm ok with it as long as Sox win...and he's had at least 2 winning performances in a row. John is coming through at a time where he is most needed. It doesn't make up for his horrible 1st half of the season, but with the injuries, it's a pleasant surprise.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hetchinspete. Show Hetchinspete's posts

In Response to Re: Lackey showing up Francona on national TV yesterday.:
    [QUOTE]Lackey being Lackey....i'm ok with it as long as Sox win...and he's had at least 2 winning performances in a row. John is coming through at a time where he is most needed. It doesn't make up for his horrible 1st half of the season, but with the injuries, it's a pleasant surprise.
    Posted by dannycater[/QUOTE]

Danny,

As I've said I'm usually more forgiving than most and Lackey did have two good performances in a row, but yesterday was not one of them. At best yesterday's performance was horrible. He's just lucky the Sox offense scored a lot of runs as it usually does. On another days with less runs scored Tito would most likely have pulled him much earlier.

Hetchinspete.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from fourrings. Show fourrings's posts

i would like to see the infielders throw there arms up in disgust at Lackey everytime he gives up a gapper or a bomb and see how he likes it. of course our infielders would probably be in orbit from flapping there arms so fast but thats besides the point, sick of his crapYell

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimdavis. Show jimdavis's posts

We seem to need something to complain about win or lose.  Lackey reacts that way.  I'm not in love with it but I hardly think Tito is wringing his hands over it.  Tito dealt effectively with Manny also.  The game was won.  It is over...let's move on.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hetchinspete. Show Hetchinspete's posts

[QUOTE]We seem to need something to complain about win or lose.  Lackey reacts that way.  I'm not in love with it but I hardly think Tito is wringing his hands over it.  Tito dealt effectively with Manny also.  The game was won.  It is over...let's move on.
    Posted by jimdavis[/QUOTE]

Jim,

Sorry to disagree as mostly we're on the same page on issues regarding the Red Sox, and I usually do not complain about the Sox. Most of my complaints are about other who never see the positive side of things like the fact the Sox are winning. I do like Lackey's fire but you do not show up or disrespect your manager the way Lackey did. It may not be a divisive issue with the Sox winning right now but it very well could be in the future.

Hetchinspete

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALaGatorAL. Show ALaGatorAL's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Lackey showing up Francona on national TV yesterday. : Danny, As I've said I'm usually more forgiving than most and Lackey did have two good performances in a row, but yesterday was not one of them. At best yesterday's performance was horrible. He's just lucky the Sox offense scored a lot of runs as it usually does. On another days with less runs scored Tito would most likely have pulled him much earlier. Hetchinspete.
    Posted by Hetchinspete[/QUOTE]

I'm not a big Lackey guy but, he only gave up 4 runs, a lot of hits, but only 3 earned runs. I'm guessing he was more aggravated that he didn't get a chance at a quality start stat !! LOL...  And the Sox don't "Usually" Score a lot of runs for Lackey in six of his losses The Sox had been shut out 3 times, scored 1 run twice, and 3 runs once. Like other Sox pitchers he has gotten good run support when he was the winning pitcher. As far as run support for pitchers I couldn't even find him in the top 108 in Baseball, according to ESPN Stats. Now you can make the argument that since he is such a pain in the rectum the Players won't hit for him and I would probably agree with that because, that is what it looks like.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimdavis. Show jimdavis's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Lackey showing up Francona on national TV yesterday. : Jim, Sorry to disagree as mostly we're on the same page on issues regarding the Red Sox, and I usually do not complain about the Sox. Most of my complaints are about other who never see the positive side of things like the fact the Sox are winning. I do like Lackey's fire but you do not show up or disrespect your manager the way Lackey did. It may not be a divisive issue with the Sox winning right now but it very well could be in the future. Hetchinspete

I'm not saying I agree with the action.  Although I remember the fire he showed in Fenway in the ALDS when he got pulled early.  I remember liking that fire.  Tito might not love it but he is hardly the first pitcher to react that way when the manage pulled him.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxmeister. Show soxmeister's posts

Lackey gets fired up and that is fine, as long as pitches quality games.  With the enormous heat he has taken by everybody, being booed constantly, reading article after article about his signing being the worst in history, what do you expect him to do when Scutaro plays so poorly behind him?  Yes, he is animated.  But if that is what it takes for him to win, then he can keep on doing it.  

My suggestion is don't read his lips ....

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from supkeep. Show supkeep's posts

Let me get this straight. :"Lazy" Lackey, he of the 7 ERA and $85 million contract shows up his teammates and manager? "Nerve" is not a big-enough word to describe this guy.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from supkeep. Show supkeep's posts

Let me get this straight. "Lazy" Lackey, he of the 7 ERA and $85 milliion contract, shows up his teammates and manager? "Nerve" is not a big enough word to describe this waste of money.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hetchinspete. Show Hetchinspete's posts

[QUOTE]Lackey gets fired up and that is fine, as long as pitches quality games.  With the enormous heat he has taken by everybody, being booed constantly, reading article after article about his signing being the worst in history, what do you expect him to do when Scutaro plays so poorly behind him?  Yes, he is animated.  But if that is what it takes for him to win, then he can keep on doing it.   My suggestion is don't read his lips ....
    Posted by soxmeister[/QUOTE]

Soxmeister,

In some ways I almost agree, and if this is what it takes to get Lackey's fires lit to make him an effective starter, maybe it's better than the complete opposite of an overpaid player who doesn't care and just wants a guaranteed paycheck. Just out of curiousity, I'd love to have been in the clubhouse after the game to see if Tito had any words for Lackey.

After all is said there is a difference and fine line between showing competitive spirit and fire, and pure disrespect for your manager. My guess is all was forgiven in the clubhouse, especially after a win. If the club is losing all of that changes. 

Hetchinspete.  

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigdean. Show bigdean's posts

Lackey is an emotional guy.  But he needs to keep those emotions in check on the field.  Throwing up his arms and yelling after plays are not made by his infielders looks bad.  He also has to respect the fact that Tito is the manager and just calm down.  These things are alot easier to swallow as long as the team is winning.    

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

In Response to Lackey showing up Francona on national TV yesterday.:
    [QUOTE]I'm usually one to give the benefit of the doubt to players and can't stand when a few trolls refer to players such as one calling Lackey, Slackey, but yesterday in front of a national audience John Lackey went all too far showing up his manager. I know a few on this site who obviously do not like Tito no matter what he does would probably say nothing was said to Lackey afterwards because Tito is a player's manager who coddles his player, but after Lackey's reaction being taken out of the game something must have been said.  Lackey was obviously pretty upset over being taken out as it looked like reading his lips "I don't f--kin believe this" came out of his mouth when he saw Tito headed his way, and the "F' word definitely came out a second time. Then as he left the mound he looked back over his shoulder at Francona. I understand Lackey's competitive nature but you do not show up your manager that way. I'm hoping Lackey got a good tongue lashing for this one.  Hetchinspete.     

It wasn't national tv, but the attitude is consistent even with his days in Cali.  Taking him out of a game has often been a moment flashpoint.

I think it's irritating to us to see it, but since he was finally starting to pitch farely well I can see his side some.  Of the 33 times he could help the team, his opportunities are shrinking and he wanted to make the best/most of it.

I still don't like the drama queen bit, but I sorta understand.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

if you watched him with the Halos' it's nothing new, i recall at two times against the Yanks, Lack just about busted an artery when Scoscia came with the hook...along with the often mentioned reaction to booted balls...i don't think it's always intentional, maybe just a snap reation, but it does look bad..

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In Response to Lackey showing up Francona on national TV yesterday.:
    [QUOTE]I'm usually one to give the benefit of the doubt to players and can't stand when a few trolls refer to players such as one calling Lackey, Slackey, but yesterday in front of a national audience John Lackey went all too far showing up his manager. I know a few on this site who obviously do not like Tito no matter what he does would probably say nothing was said to Lackey afterwards because Tito is a player's manager who coddles his player, but after Lackey's reaction being taken out of the game something must have been said.  Lackey was obviously pretty upset over being taken out as it looked like reading his lips "I don't f--kin believe this" came out of his mouth when he saw Tito headed his way, and the "F' word definitely came out a second time. Then as he left the mound he looked back over his shoulder at Francona. I understand Lackey's competitive nature but you do not show up your manager that way. I'm hoping Lackey got a good tongue lashing for this one.  Hetchinspete.     

I'm sure there were good reasons the Angels didn't want to keep Lackey and we have already seen a couple of them.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Diamondtalk. Show Diamondtalk's posts

Lackey is in no position to show up anybody.     He already has a tantrum when one of his teammates makes a bad fielding play now he shows up his manager.  The guy is a real hoot.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

Dat da wei Lackey be. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from eman39. Show eman39's posts

[QUOTE]I like his attitude, lets me know he's all in and if he is going through hard times, he's putting a fight. Ballclubs need this kind of people to stir things up and keep people awake.
    Posted by Cuthbertallbad[/QUOTE]

unbelievable

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

I don't have a problem with Lackey being ticked about being removed from the game.  I didn't see it, but I don't think it's showing the manager up.  He wants to stay in the game.  I like the fact that he's a battler and he wants to clean up his own mess.  I would be more concerned if he wanted to be removed.

Showing frustration towards his teammates is another story.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from chuchos. Show chuchos's posts

Francona was justified in taking him out.  107 pitches 2 men on.  I know Lackey wanted to get the last out there, but he had a long day.

As far as his antics, in some ways I'm glad he gets it out of his system and doesn't hold it in where it could fester into his pitching.  At any rate, it's for the ball club to handle not the fans.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from fizsh. Show fizsh's posts

My feeling is that if it does not bother the team, it is fine.  If it does, they will take care of it in private.  That is the way they try to do things.  Also, I would rather he yell at his manager when he gets taken out then wait until he gets to the dugout and take out his frustrations on a water cooler or the dugout wall and injure himself.  We have seen that happen before to pitchers. 

Sections
Shortcuts