Lackey Subtlely Blaming Others

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

Lackey Subtlely Blaming Others

If you read Lackey's quote below, he may be referencing the fact that no one told him he wasn't locating.

"Overall, I thought my arm felt pretty good. Just didn't locate well," he said. "I would have fixed it if I had known. Some soft ones fell in on good pitches and made some bad pitches that got hit hard. It kind of all added up to that."

For a guy that absolutely got battered, he sure does make up excuses.  He needs to be removed from the rotation.  I would say after today's strong outing from Weiland (6IP, 6 H, 2 ER, 0 BB, 6K), bring him up and put Lackey on the DL. Until he shows he can pitch well at any level, let him figure things out.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

Re: Lackey Subtlely Blaming Others

Could Lackey be our long middle relief?

Would that tick him off enough to really bear down?

Or would he just lose it all together?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

I said earlier if he were clever he would BLAME THAT CAP they made the team wear yesterday... whew it would have thrown any pitcher off his game.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxnewmex. Show soxnewmex's posts

Yeah, he needs to say it was me, I stunk up the joint, I gotta do better.  At least he says his arm is fine, he would say if it were hurting, right?  I hear these rumors leading to tommy john . . .
    How many more of these crummy outings do you suppose before they finally bring up Wieland and put Lackey on the dl or in long relief?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Its really easy Lackey..Just say "I sucked tonight and I have to do better"...Us Bostonians like that approach...The excuses are getting tiresome..

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

In Response to Lackey Subtlely Blaming Others:
    If you read Lackey's quote below, he may be referencing the fact that no one told him he wasn't locating. "Overall, I thought my arm felt pretty good. Just didn't locate well," he said. "I would have fixed it if I had known.Some soft ones fell in on good pitches and made some bad pitches that got hit hard. It kind of all added up to that." For a guy that absolutely got battered, he sure does make up excuses.  He needs to be removed from the rotation.  I would say after today's strong outing from Weiland (6IP, 6 H, 2 ER, 0 BB, 6K), bring him up and put Lackey on the DL. Until he shows he can pitch well at any level, let him figure things out.
    Posted by ADG

That is pretty piss-poor. A pitcher knows when his command is poor. I think he was referring to his mechanics {i.e. "I would have fixed the flaw in my delivery if I knew how"}. That's on the pitching coach.
    Maybe C. Young can explain the loss in velocity with Lester and Buch. Or the alarming number of injuries to the pitching staff overall.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from aussiewill. Show aussiewill's posts

It's easy to blame Lackey for his demise, how about the guy who signed him? Theo has taken the blame for Cameron, to his credit, course who else could take the hit for signing a 38 year old outfielder with a  career .249 average  who led the league in strikeouts twice, for $15 million dollars, Gee that was noble of the boy genius. He should have blamed Lucino or Henry  , I am sure they wanted Cammie.Lets see what other dumb GM picks Cammie up on waivers, 10 -1 no GM touches Cammie.

Now lets get to Lackey, Henry's fault no doubt, the guy is an idiot, Henry that is. He is Frank Mc Court with money, no more , no less. How can he let Theo throw all this cash at these mediocre players?

I won't give all the Sox Nation head in the sanders a chance here. Call a spade a spade. Theo is a loser , without the big check book, he would be a Kosher Butcher in Brookline. He overpays for stiffs. lackey being his latest poster child. I can't wait for the day that Epstein has to buy a ticket to see the Red Sox play.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

Henry is an idiot? That even tops "Theo is a liar" - from another poster.
    Henry is a brilliant businessman who has kept this team in the Post Season with an influx of farm talent all the while. As for signings, I gotta believe he heavily relies on info/knowledge from his subordinates.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Now lets get to Lackey, Henry's fault no doubt, the guy is an idiot, Henry that is. He is Frank Mc Court with money....

I wouldnt go that far...after all Henry owns a NASCAR team and owns Liverpool too..All are successful..Mccourt on the other hand cant even handle his marriage, nevermind a MLB team...

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

In Response to Re: Lackey Subtlely Blaming Others:
    It's easy to blame Lackey for his demise, how about the guy who signed him? Theo has taken the blame for Cameron, to his credit, course who else could take the hit for signing a 38 year old outfielder with a  career .249 average  who led the league in strikeouts twice, for $15 million dollars, Gee that was noble of the boy genius. He should have blamed Lucino or Henry  , I am sure they wanted Cammie.Lets see what other dumb GM picks Cammie up on waivers, 10 -1 no GM touches Cammie. Now lets get to Lackey, Henry's fault no doubt, the guy is an idiot, Henry that is. He is Frank Mc Court with money, no more , no less. How can he let Theo throw all this cash at these mediocre players? I won't give all the Sox Nation head in the sanders a chance here. Call a spade a spade. Theo is a loser , without the big check book, he would be a Kosher Butcher in Brookline. He overpays for stiffs. lackey being his latest poster child. I can't wait for the day that Epstein has to buy a ticket to see the Red Sox play.
    Posted by aussiewill

I'd rather have my head in the sand than where you put it.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

It's easy to blame Lackey for his demise, how about the guy who signed him? Theo has taken the blame for Cameron, to his credit, course who else could take the hit for signing a 38 year old outfielder with a  career .249 average  who led the league in strikeouts twice, for $15 million dollars, Gee that was noble of the boy genius. He should have blamed Lucino or Henry  , I am sure they wanted Cammie.Lets see what other dumb GM picks Cammie up on waivers, 10 -1 no GM touches Cammie. Now lets get to Lackey, Henry's fault no doubt, the guy is an idiot, Henry that is. He is Frank Mc Court with money, no more , no less. How can he let Theo throw all this cash at these mediocre players? I won't give all the Sox Nation head in the sanders a chance here. Call a spade a spade. Theo is a loser , without the big check book, he would be a Kosher Butcher in Brookline. He overpays for stiffs. lackey being his latest poster child. I can't wait for the day that Epstein has to buy a ticket to see the Red Sox play.
    Posted by aussiewill

Want me to call you a spade? Every team in baseball will go through this with a player or two. You can say i don't care about other teams but thats a fact. Get over it. And yes ,you just can't wait for a GM with millions of dollars to buy his ticket. Good one !!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from aussiewill. Show aussiewill's posts

In Response to Re: Lackey Subtlely Blaming Others : I'd rather have my head in the sand than where you put it.
    Posted by Sheriff-Rojas

So where does the buck stop? Who exactly is accountable? Ownership has no say in player signings? I noticed they signed some 16 year old Dominican kid today for $800,000.00 , where is he going to play? the Marlins ? They sign players on long term contracts for big bucks. You have to grant me that statement, as it is not subjective it is policy, then they sign all kinds of amateur players for big bucks, and then nothing. They sign Carl Crawford for 7 years and John ( I stink) Lackey for 5 years. Yes I am right the inmates are running the asylum, the Inmate being the Kosher Butcher from Brookline. He is totally out of his depth.
    The Sox may win this year, and I hope they do. How did they miss on Bartolo Colon , or Freddie Garcia ? I had been trying to get them to sign Aubrey Huff for years. How did the Giants go last year? Theo Epstein is a Goose. Full stop, and the idiots who let him run Carte Blanche with the check book should get out in the real world and see what it's like.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Hey aussie..I bet you can name more good signings by Theo since 2003 than bad, including draft signings..Please dont put CC in your "bust" category as he is 3 months into a 7 year deal and was batting 305 in May and about 300 in June before his injury. Be happy that we have an owner that can spend the money without handcuffing the team financially. Its funny to me that some fans are probably more worried than John henry is about spending money..

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

Colon beats weak teams. Is average vs. better.
    You can have Garcia.
    Martin was all the rage back in April.

Theo is about keeping the farm strong. The FO approaches scouting/signings as you would a stock portfolio.
    Some will work, some won't.
    Look at the over-all success or failure instead of knit-picking this or that. When the team's been relatively healthy under the Henry regime, they've been in the PO's. How many rings did they have in UR lifetime before Henry purchased the club?

Stop whining.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from aussiewill. Show aussiewill's posts

Colon beats weak teams. Is average vs. better. You can have Garcia. Martin was all the rage back in April. Theo is about keeping the farm strong. The FO approaches scouting/signings as you would a stock portfolio. Some will work, some won't. Look at the over-all success or failure instead of knit-picking this or that. When the team's been relatively healthy under the Henry regime, they've been in the PO's. How many rings did they have in UR lifetime before Henry purchased the club? Stop whining .
    Posted by harness

Whining, since when did stating the obvious, become whining. I didn't bring up Renteria, Lugo, Gagne, Drew, Cameron, Jenks, veterans love Theo, as long as he has a job , they have a chance of keeping theirs. You sit down at a poker table, and you have the biggest stack, you should win, end of story.

Theo should be cutting meat in a Kosher Butcher Shop in Brookline!!!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

In Response to Re: Lackey Subtlely Blaming Others : Whining, since when did stating the obvious, become whining. I didn't bring up Renteria, Lugo, Gagne, Drew, Cameron, Jenks, veterans love Theo, as long as he has a job , they have a chance of keeping theirs. You sit down at a poker table, and you have the biggest stack, you should win, end of story. Theo should be cutting meat in a Kosher Butcher Shop in Brookline!!!
    Posted by aussiewill

Then why don't the Yankees win the WS every year?

How many rings did you say the RedSox have won in UR lifetime?

If I sit here and go on and on and on and on and on about the troubled ecomony, I'm just stating the obvious, right?

EDIT: Sit a ta poker table with a professional player, have the largest stack of chips to begin with, and we'll see where the chips fall by games' end.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from the---yazzer. Show the---yazzer's posts

In Response to Re: Lackey Subtlely Blaming Others : Whining, since when did stating the obvious, become whining. I didn't bring up Renteria, Lugo, Gagne, Drew, Cameron, Jenks, veterans love Theo, as long as he has a job , they have a chance of keeping theirs. You sit down at a poker table, and you have the biggest stack, you should win, end of story. Theo should be cutting meat in a Kosher Butcher Shop in Brookline!!!
    Posted by aussiewill

well said; and when SLACKEY was removed to boos yesterday, the camera should have framed theo up in his suite; that's where the boos should be directed.

please fire theo!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from aussiewill. Show aussiewill's posts

In Response to Re: Lackey Subtlely Blaming Others : Then why don't the Yankees win the WS every year? How many rings did you say the RedSox have won in UR lifetime? If I sit here and go on and on and on and on and on about the troubled ecomony, I'm just stating the obvious, right? EDIT: Sit a ta poker table with a professional player, have the largest stack of chips to begin with, and we'll see where the chips fall by games' end.
    Posted by harness

How many rings do the Red Sox have in my life time ? I believe that is your question? Well two , is that the answer you wanted?

I went to Fenway in the 50's and 60's didn't care if they won or if they lost, I loved them anyway. I saw TSW. play Jackie Jensen , Jimmy Piersall, Ike Delock close, before there was the term closer. Billy Goodman , Sammy White, Mel Parnell. I sat in behind the dugout seats when Whitey Ford got beat by the Sox 2-1 on a Jensen Home Run . I loved the Sox then, I love them now

I don't really care if they are good , or bad . But what bothers me the most is accountability. Win lose or draw, put the best team on the field, managed by the best management team, backed up by the best ownership team. If then you don't succeed, forget it , you have done your best, that's all that can be expected.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from pbagalio. Show pbagalio's posts

Lackey is no doubt doing a very poor job, but what about the manager leaving in so long that it was very difficult to come back. He should have been removed muchj sooner to give the team a chance. I think we also have a poor manager.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Why is it that a player is considered successful if he gets 3 hits in 10 at-bats but a GM needs to have 8 out of 10 hits to be considered successful?

There is no such thing as a fool proof plan when signing kids or Free Agents. A GM uses scouting reports, sabre-metrics and every other tool available to him when making choices that he will bring to a team owner for consideration. And unless the GM has ESP, he is going to fail. The problem in NY and Boston is that it is front page headlines when a Pavano or Lackey are signed and they are unable to deliver.

The blame of failure should always fall on one person alone and that is the player. Maybe you can throw some fault on the player's agent as well.

Anyway, this is my opinion and I am sticking with it.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

Lackey is no doubt doing a very poor job, but what about the manager leaving in so long that it was very difficult to come back. He should have been removed muchj sooner to give the team a chance. I think we also have a poor manager.
    Posted by pbagalio

You are joking right? What inning should have he been removed, the 1st? Acutally at 7-0, if I were Francona, I would have just left him in there so that the bullpen didn't get fried. At least Wheeler and Aceves gave them 2 2/3 innings each, more than their $86M starter.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

Why is it that a player is considered successful if he gets 3 hits in 10 at-bats but a GM needs to have 8 out of 10 hits to be considered successful? There is no such thing as a fool proof plan when signing kids or Free Agents. A GM uses scouting reports, sabre-metrics and every other tool available to him when making choices that he will bring to a team owner for consideration. And unless the GM has ESP, he is going to fail. The problem in NY and Boston is that it is front page headlines when a Pavano or Lackey are signed and they are unable to deliver. The blame of failure should always fall on one person alone and that is the player. Maybe you can throw some fault on the player's agent as well. Anyway, this is my opinion and I am sticking with it.
    Posted by jesseyeric

Jesseyeric - Good points. Lackey does not take responsibility for his lack of pitching. He'll shrug his shoulders at his defense or he'll say he pitched well, but that the ball found holes. 

DL him.  He doesn't do any good staying in the rotation.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Your-Echo. Show Your-Echo's posts

AussieWill is almost 80 yrs. old and still doesn't understand what 20-20 hindsight means. The question for him to respond to is what did he think of those FA signings and trades at the moment that they happened. Use the same guidelines of accountability that you impose upon Theo. You seem to be stuck on Theo's religion when you keep saying "kosher". Do I smell of bit of racism here?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from the---yazzer. Show the---yazzer's posts

In Response to Re: Lackey Subtlely Blaming Others : Jesseyeric - Good points. Lackey does not take responsibility for his lack of pitching. He'll shrug his shoulders at his defense or he'll say he pitched well, but that the ball found holes.  DL him.  He doesn't do any good staying in the rotation.
    Posted by ADG

i disagree with both you and jessey;

it is the GM'S fault when a bum like SLACKEY, whose already proved when he was an ANGEL that he wasn't successful against good hitting teams, gets a 5 year deal of over 80 million.
    inepstein is a joke as a GM!

please fire theo blunder!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Diamondtalk. Show Diamondtalk's posts

Same old  -  same old.   Lackey uses the blame game.   He's in denial.    Stick him in the bullpen as a highly paid mop up man when the game is out of reach.   No team in baseball is interested in taking on a high paid lemon.

Sections
Shortcuts