Lackey Subtlely Blaming Others

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

Re: Lackey Subtlely Blaming Others

In Response to Re: Lackey Subtlely Blaming Others:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Lackey Subtlely Blaming Others : How many rings do the Red Sox have in my life time ? I believe that is your question? Well two , is that the answer you wanted? I went to Fenway in the 50's and 60's didn't care if they won or if they lost, I loved them anyway. I saw TSW. play Jackie Jensen , Jimmy Piersall, Ike Delock close, before there was the term closer. Billy Goodman , Sammy White, Mel Parnell. I sat in behind the dugout seats when Whitey Ford got beat by the Sox 2-1 on a Jensen Home Run . I loved the Sox then, I love them now I don't really care if they are good , or bad . But what bothers me the most is accountability. Win lose or draw, put the best team on the field, managed by the best management team, backed up by the best ownership team. If then you don't succeed, forget it , you have done your best, that's all that can be expected.
    Posted by aussiewill[/QUOTE]

Based on your criteria and one I will add and your history of the team....when would you say that  the Sox ever had a better combination of team on the field...manager , GM and ownership and minor league organization and why did those teams not win 2 WS titles in 4 years?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxmeister. Show soxmeister's posts

I am big Lackey fan, he used to pitch the Yankees as well as any pitcher, including the playoffs between the Angels and Yanks the year before the Sox got him.   Lackey is just not toughing it out anymore.  They probably didn't boo him to death in CA when he had bad starts.   But he has to suck it up somehow.

Forget about blaming Theo and/or Henry, he is ours now.  Forget about Francona, he will support Lackey until the end.   The job falls of Young's shoulders.  It is his job to handle the pitchers.  He is great with rookies and a young staff, but how is he with middle aged, slightly damaged pitchers with no confidence?   So far, not good.

The pitching coach gets paid for exactly this type of situation.    Lackey could be a solid #3 if he ever gets back to earth.   

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

Lackey’s postgame sessions can be painful, but he offered no alibis for yesterday.

“Nothing,’’ he said. “No excuse. [There was] nothing to keep me from pitching.’’

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

In Response to Lackey Subtlely Blaming Others:
    [QUOTE]If you read Lackey's quote below, he may be referencing the fact that no one told him he wasn't locating. "Overall, I thought my arm felt pretty good. Just didn't locate well," he said. "I would have fixed it if I had known. Some soft ones fell in on good pitches and made some bad pitches that got hit hard. It kind of all added up to that." For a guy that absolutely got battered, he sure does make up excuses.  He needs to be removed from the rotation.  I would say after today's strong outing from Weiland (6IP, 6 H, 2 ER, 0 BB, 6K), bring him up and put Lackey on the DL. Until he shows he can pitch well at any level, let him figure things out.
    Posted by ADG[/QUOTE]

It really isn't all that hard to figure out.  Watch the hitters.  They'll tell you. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

I see its okay for Lackey to blame others, god forbid a poster here blame Lackey. You go Blind Homers.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from drpjn. Show drpjn's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Lackey Subtlely Blaming Others : I'd rather have my head in the sand than where you put it.
    Posted by Sheriff-Rojas[/QUOTE]

Absolutely hilarious!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

“I just didn’t locate well enough. I would have fixed it if I’d have known."

How can you not know when you aren't locating well enough?  You throw the ball.  If the ball doesn't cross the plate where you wanted to throw it, then you didn't locate it well enough.

Or

You throw the ball - it's either a ball, a strike, a hit, or fly/ground out.  2 of those means you didn't locate well enough.

Actually, who really knows what Lackey means when he talks?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from --The----Babe----. Show --The----Babe----'s posts

[QUOTE]If you read Lackey's quote below, he may be referencing the fact that no one told him he wasn't locating. "Overall, I thought my arm felt pretty good. Just didn't locate well," he said. "I would have fixed it if I had known. Some soft ones fell in on good pitches and made some bad pitches that got hit hard. It kind of all added up to that." For a guy that absolutely got battered, he sure does make up excuses.  He needs to be removed from the rotation.  I would say after today's strong outing from Weiland (6IP, 6 H, 2 ER, 0 BB, 6K), bring him up and put Lackey on the DL. Until he shows he can pitch well at any level, let him figure things out.

Posted by ADG[/QUOTE]

As moonie would say...."He led the team in quality starts last year"

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

Posted by ADG[/QUOTE]

Lackey needs someone to wake him up and tell him he stinks.  I just read an article where a writer proposed a straight up trade for Zito because salaries match up.  I would actually consider this to put Zito back with Curt Young and give him a chance to regain himself.  Unfortunately with Miller and Lester we don't need another LH starter.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

Has it dawned on anybody that Lackey is probably pitching with a bad elbow? He already had gone to the DL and taken a cortisone shot for the elbow, which kind of got lost in his "my whole life stinks" comment after a bad loss and the focus on his wife's health issues.

Whatever the RS are trying to do to "work" through this is meeting with mixed results, more bad than good (the Philly appearance was VG, yesterday horrific).

Physical breakdown is a risk with every player, greater with pitchers and greater still with pitchers over 30. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

[QUOTE]Has it dawned on anybody that Lackey is probably pitching with a bad elbow? He already had gone to the DL and taken a cortisone shot for the elbow, which kind of got lost in his "my whole life stinks" comment after a bad loss and the focus on his wife's health issues. Whatever the RS are trying to do to "work" through this is meeting with mixed results, more bad than good (the Philly appearance was VG, yesterday horrific). Physical breakdown is a risk with every player, greater with pitchers and greater still with pitchers over 30. 
    Posted by fivekatz[/QUOTE]

fivekatz, Theo and company can only blame themselves if he is pitching with a bad elbow.  Regardless of how bad we could use another decent starter pitcher, this Lackey is bad for the team and John's elbow if he continues to pitch. 

Our management needs to decide whats more important in the long run.  Another Dice K. or possibly a couple decent years out of Lackey when/if he recovers.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from phxvlsoxfan. Show phxvlsoxfan's posts

Frankly I don't care who Lackey or fans blame for this, but something has to be done to fix this situation.  Until and unless Buch comes back strong, the rotation has a true 1 and 2, plus 2 #5 starters (Miller has shown promise but I reserve judgment until he faces a few AL East teams) and the subject of this thread.  That combo may keep the Sox in the race for awhile, but ultimately will result in far too many innings from the pen, and a September fade.  I have a feeling that Lackey is hurting but fears that admitting to arm issues could void his contract and leave him essentially up the creek.  Or else he's the modern day Ed Whitson/Carl Pavano, who simply cannot pitch under the intense spotlight.  Either way, he needs to come out of the rotation immediately.  Send him down to Pawtucket or Portland (I'm pretty sure he would clear waivers if needed) to work through his issues, but give someone else a chance with the big team - please!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from --The----Babe----. Show --The----Babe----'s posts

[QUOTE]I am big Lackey fan, he used to pitch the Yankees as well as any pitcher, including the playoffs between the Angels and Yanks the year before the Sox got him.   Lackey is just not toughing it out anymore.  They probably didn't boo him to death in CA when he had bad starts.   But he has to suck it up somehow. Forget about blaming Theo and/or Henry, he is ours now.  Forget about Francona, he will support Lackey until the end.   The job falls of Young's shoulders.  It is his job to handle the pitchers.  He is great with rookies and a young staff, but how is he with middle aged, slightly damaged pitchers with no confidence?   So far, not good. The pitching coach gets paid for exactly this type of situation.    Lackey could be a solid #3 if he ever gets back to earth.   

Posted by soxmeister[/QUOTE]

And exactly who is the pitching coach that specializes in working with middle aged slightly damaged pitchers with no confidence?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from terrytito. Show terrytito's posts

the only member of the sox as incompetent as SLACKEY is THEO BLUNDER.

release them both!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from the_yazzer. Show the_yazzer's posts

only member of the sox more incompetent than slackey is theo blunder.
    release them both please!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from jam757. Show jam757's posts

I'd rather have Sam Malone on the mound! Painful to watch! Anybody but Lackey! Anybody!!!!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

There is no "e" in subtly. 

I don't think Lackey was trying to blame others.  Who among us would want to undergo a barrage of questions after giving up 7 in 2.1 innings?  Especially when the ERA is the worst of all starting pitchers (60 or more innings?) in MLB?  He's obviously frustrated, which shows in his demeanor on the mound.  That he's an experienced starter only makes it worse. 

He's probably going to get another start, but, if he doesn't, he will go on the DL. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from --The----Babe----. Show --The----Babe----'s posts

[QUOTE]There is no "e" in subtly.  I don't think Lackey was trying to blame others.  Who among us would want to undergo a barrage of questions after giving up 7 in 2.1 innings?  Especially when the ERA is the worst of all starting pitchers (60 or more innings?) in MLB?  He's obviously frustrated, which shows in his demeanor on the mound.  That he's an experienced starter only makes it worse.  He's probably going to get another start, but, if he doesn't, he will go on the DL. 

Posted by maxbialystock[/QUOTE]

Isn't that what the red flops always do with under performing pitchers?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

[QUOTE]Has it dawned on anybody that Lackey is probably pitching with a bad elbow? He already had gone to the DL and taken a cortisone shot for the elbow, which kind of got lost in his "my whole life stinks" comment after a bad loss and the focus on his wife's health issues. Whatever the RS are trying to do to "work" through this is meeting with mixed results, more bad than good (the Philly appearance was VG, yesterday horrific). Physical breakdown is a risk with every player, greater with pitchers and greater still with pitchers over 30. 
    Posted by fivekatz[/QUOTE]

You may be right.  Someone mentioned that he may need surgery at some point.  Not sure who was discussing Lackey, (probably on NESN), but it is definitely a good explanation for his pitching problems this year. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Lackey in 2010 was better than Beckett in his first year in Boston, 2006.  Both had 33 starts, but Lackey pitched more innings, 215 to 206, and had the lower ERA, 4.40 to 5.01.   Me, I think the elbow is the issue in 2011, but will await confirmation via DL or surgery or whatever. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from the_yazzer. Show the_yazzer's posts

after most of slackey's starts, instead of going after slackey, why not throw some tough questions at theo blunder?
    question #1: "mr blunder, what in the hell was going thru your mind when you offered that bum(slackey) 80+ million for 5 years? were you having another drew, lugo, and, probably, crawford moment?"

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Lackey Subtlely Blaming Others : And exactly who is the pitching coach that specializes in working with middle aged slightly damaged pitchers with no confidence?
    Posted by --The----Babe----[/QUOTE]

Dave Duncan

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

Response to Re: Lackey Subtlely Blaming Others:
    [QUOTE]after most of slackey's starts, instead of going after slackey, why not throw some tough questions at theo blunder? question #1: "mr blunder, what in the hell was going thru your mind when you offered that bum(slackey) 80+ million for 5 years? were you having another drew, lugo, and, probably, crawford moment?"
    Posted by the_yazzer[/QUOTE]

I will normally defend Theo.....I think he is better than most of the GMs in Baseball, but it is hard to defend the lackey signing for 3 reasons....one he hasnt lived up to the money amount on the contracr...2....the only other pitcher who signed a "large" free agent contract that year was Randy Wolf(3 yrs...25mm or so) and considering he is with Milwaukee he has outperformed Lackey by a lot and 3...it was a panic signing....they let Bay walk....missed out on Holiday and signed him to make a splash....never a wise business move

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from the_yazzer. Show the_yazzer's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Lackey Subtlely Blaming Others : And exactly who is the pitching coach that specializes in working with middle aged slightly damaged pitchers with no confidence?
    Posted by --The----Babe----[/QUOTE]

in the case of SLACKEY, there would have been only one person i would have called to help SLACKEY and, at the same time, made the SOX a better team.
    that man you ask? DR. KEVORKIAN.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from beavis. Show beavis's posts

Hate to say it but two balls which Scutaro missed valiantly, really did Lackey in...if Jose Iglesias was in his range could have had those balls...

Lackey velosity was up to 94 on the gun, but he needs to use his breaking ball away from the batter, he is leaving too much down in the zone...