Lackey Threatens To Retire Rather Than Play For the Minimum

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from splendidsplinterteddyballgame. Show splendidsplinterteddyballgame's posts

Lackey Threatens To Retire Rather Than Play For the Minimum

Just when we were starting to love Lackey for his new body, new attitude, clutch performances last year and good overall pitching its been reported that he may  retire next year rather than play for the minimum according to the contract HE signed.  Come on man!!!!!!!!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Re: Lackey Threatens To Retire Rather Than Play For the Minimum

In response to splendidsplinterteddyballgame's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Just when we were starting to love Lackey for his new body, new attitude, clutch performances last year and good overall pitching he threatens to retire next year rather than play for the minimum according to the contract HE signed.  Come on man!!!!!!!!

[/QUOTE]

Provide link

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Javi60. Show Javi60's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Just when we were starting to love Lackey for his new body, new attitude, clutch performances last year and good overall pitching he threatens to retire next year rather than play for the minimum according to the contract HE signed.  Come on man!!!!!!!!

[/QUOTE]

Provide link

[/QUOTE]

Good request

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

anybody who can type a few words into google and do some research can see that this is bogus and the OP is just blowing smoke.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mellymel3. Show mellymel3's posts

It was discussed on NESN tonight at 6:30....as far as I'm concerned, I say "Buh-bye!"

Sox are hideous this year anyways...who cares!?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

I care. Lackey is the Ace of the staff and his John Wayne performance of last year plus postseason turned him into a must keep. His consistency is remarkable as he may be a better pitcher now than anytime pre-physical makeover in 2013.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to mellymel3's comment:
    [QUOTE]

It was discussed on NESN tonight at 6:30....as far as I'm concerned, I say "Buh-bye!"

Sox are hideous this year anyways...who cares!?

[/QUOTE]

This all started from a story written by Ken Rosenthal.  This didn't come from Lackey, and it was never even said that he is, or anyone heard he is thinking about it.  It was purely 100% suggestive and speculative on his part.

This story...is garbage.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

Here's one link:

http://www.rantsports.com/mlb/2014/06/09/john-lackey-threatening-retirement-is-bush-league/" rel="nofollow">http://www.rantsports.com/mlb/2014/06/09/john-lackey-threatening-retirement-is-bush-league/

If he is, then maybe he should first pay back the $16.5M he made when he was injured. And if this is true, didn't he know this when he signed the contract?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from steven11. Show steven11's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

so what, why should he be any different than the other players who want an extension now or new contract? The sox just went out and wasted 10 million on Drew.  If i am lackey why am I going to risk my body for a team who has this much money for 500k.

He can retire and go to Japan for 10 million.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to ADG's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Here's one link:

http://www.rantsports.com/mlb/2014/06/09/john-lackey-threatening-retirement-is-bush-league/" rel="nofollow">http://www.rantsports.com/mlb/2014/06/09/john-lackey-threatening-retirement-is-bush-league/" rel="nofollow">http://www.rantsports.com/mlb/2014/06/09/john-lackey-threatening-retirement-is-bush-league/

If he is, then maybe he should first pay back the $16.5M he made when he was injured. And if this is true, didn't he know this when he signed the contract?

[/QUOTE]

HAHAHAHA.  And my spider man comic is a source that proves spider man exists.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Rant sports is NOT a credible source. 

People...

This all started from a Ken Rosenthal article today.  and this is what he said on the issue:

He can retire at 36 rather than play at the minimum salary. And after earning more than $108 million in his career, Lackey wouldn’t have much incentive to play for relative pennies.

After taxes, agent fees and union and clubhouse dues, Lackey’s actual estimated income on a $500,000 salary would be about $265,000, according to Robert Raiola, a senior tax manager at O’Connor Davies, LLP and the author of “Winning Tax Strategies and Planning for Athletes and Entertainers.”

Still a lot of money, I know. But not necessarily enough to compel a player of Lackey’s stature to continue his career.

The obvious solution is a two-year extension — one that Lackey genuinely deserves, considering that since returning from his surgery he has a 3.41 ERA in 42 regular-season starts, not to mention a 2.77 ERA in four postseason starts last season.

You can read the whole article here. http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/tigers-might-have-found-relief-in-suarez-but-bullpen-another-story-060914" rel="nofollow">http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/tigers-might-have-found-relief-in-suarez-but-bullpen-another-story-060914

There is NO credible source, there is NOTHING on the internet about this coming from Lackey, or anyone saying that Lackey has considered this.

THIS IS PURELY KEN ROSENTHAL SUGGESTING LACKEY COULD COULD COULD (as in his suggestion...not Lackey's words, thoughts or actions) USE RETIREMENT AS LEVERAGE FOR A CONTRACT.

That is ALL this is....please it's not that hard to do a little homework.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from steven11. Show steven11's posts

Maybe not his words but it is something the sox need to consider.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

How in the hell does someone infer that Lackey "threatens to retire if playing for minimum?" However, I get Rosenthal's valid point. Hell, Rosenthal should be Lackey's agent. I'll be his agent. Pay the Sox John Wayne whatever the hell he wants. Drew's 10 mil opens the Pandora's Box on salaries for the Sox better players. Lackey is without a doubt the ace other than Lester, and he's more consistent than Lester in my opinion. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Most players 100 million dollar players after age 36 are NOT playing for the money. I bet a lot of those guys love the game. It would be different if it was last payday type of thing, something that some ballplayers who haven't gotten the "big contract" have to consider in their careers. Lackey seems like a guy who loves to pitch and loves to go 8 no matter what. He's a horse. The Sox need horses. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from billge. Show billge's posts

I am retired, but I will play for the minimum, so it all works out.  Problem solved

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

In response to steven11's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Maybe not his words but it is something the sox need to consider.

[/QUOTE]

yup it doesn't seem like he said it

but no one should be surprised when he does

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to dannycater's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Most players 100 million dollar players after age 36 are NOT playing for the money. I bet a lot of those guys love the game. It would be different if it was last payday type of thing, something that some ballplayers who haven't gotten the "big contract" have to consider in their careers. Lackey seems like a guy who loves to pitch and loves to go 8 no matter what. He's a horse. The Sox need horses. 

[/QUOTE]

I agree.  This rumor started off of a suggestion by Ken Rosenthal.  Is it a very plausible scenario? well from the stance of bargaining for a new contract yes it is.  But that needs to be considered here before some people in here start bashing Lackey for breaking his contract because we aren't even close to there yet.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

In response to dannycater's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

good point DC

he definitely loves being with the team

I think he was there the whole time while recovery from TJ

but my money says he at least bluffs to retire

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

I've never seen a free agent Sox signing have such a miserable start to a Sox career, have a surgery, then suddenly turn into Mega Ace. It's incredible. I ripped him mercilessly (ask moon, he knows I did) during his first few Sox years---the Albatross contract. It's amazing. Now I feel like sign him again. Let him pitch till he's 40 because if he continues throwing at his present success rate, he's a monster. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

When he pitches, the Sox have a good chance to win. I don't feel that way about a number of pitchers. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from RSPCB73. Show RSPCB73's posts

All those that are bashing Lackey on the basis of a speculative article are simply showing their bias, regardless of lack of any evidence that Lackey feels this way.  I wonder when bias turns into prejudice!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I'll still put my money on Lackey pitching next year without complaint.

That being said, I'd think about extending him for 1 year at $8.5M with an $8M signing bonus paid throughout 2015. In a sense, we will pay him $8.5M next year and $8.5M in 2016.

Sox4ever

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

Assuming Lackey continues to pitch well, I think the Sox are going to have to work out some kind of an extension for him. He hasn't said anything, but I don't think he will be happy pitching next year such low compensation.

Stabbed by Foulke.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to ADG's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Here's one link:

http://www.rantsports.com/mlb/2014/06/09/john-lackey-threatening-retirement-is-bush-league/" rel="nofollow">http://www.rantsports.com/mlb/2014/06/09/john-lackey-threatening-retirement-is-bush-league/" rel="nofollow">http://www.rantsports.com/mlb/2014/06/09/john-lackey-threatening-retirement-is-bush-league/

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

ROTFLMAO!!!  This is what you consider a legitimate sports site?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to RSPCB73's comment:
    [QUOTE]

All those that are bashing Lackey on the basis of a speculative article are simply showing their bias, regardless of lack of any evidence that Lackey feels this way.  I wonder when bias turns into prejudice!

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

They are renowned Red Sox haters.