Lackey Threatens To Retire Rather Than Play For the Minimum

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

Re: Lackey Threatens To Retire Rather Than Play For the Minimum

This is much ado about nothing.  

First of all, this "source" has no credibility.  Secondly, this was discussed ad nauseum over the winter and at that time posters here felt that it's a foregone conclusion that the Sox will give him a two year extension that will bring him up to a salary commensurate with the previous years of his contract.  

IMO THAT is what Lackey will take.

ya gotta give the OP'er troll credit though. He got two pages out of a totally baseless interpretation of a statement from a source with no credibility.   

Having the right to do something doesn't make it the right thing to do.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Illinisoxfan. Show Illinisoxfan's posts

In response to S5's comment:
    [QUOTE]

First of all, this "source" has no credibility.  Secondly, this was discussed ad nauseum over the winter and at that time posters here felt that it's a foregone conclusion that the Sox will give him a two year extension that will bring him up to a salary commensurate with the previous years of his contract.  

ya gotta give the OP'er troll credit though. He got two pages out of a totally baseless interpretation of a statement from a source with no credibility.   

[/QUOTE]

If you think Lackey is playing next year for the minimum you are on fantasy island.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Illinisoxfan. Show Illinisoxfan's posts

In response to djcbuffum's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to steven11's comment:

[QUOTE]

Maybe not his words but it is something the sox need to consider.

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

They absolutely do not need to "consider" this completely fabricated threat. The blog cited by ADG says, "reports are coming out that Lackey would consider retiring instead of coming back next year and playing for the minimum," and then cites no sources: 

In response to ADG's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Here's one link:

http://www.rantsports.com/mlb/2014/06/09/john-lackey-threatening-retirement-is-bush-league/";" rel="nofollow">http://www.rantsports.com/mlb/2014/06/09/john-lackey-threatening-retirement-is-bush-league/";; rel="nofollow">http://www.rantsports.com/mlb/2014/06/09/john-lackey-threatening-retirement-is-bush-league/" rel="nofollow">http://www.rantsports.com/mlb/2014/06/09/john-lackey-threatening-retirement-is-bush-league/

If he is, then maybe he should first pay back the $16.5M he made when he was injured. And if this is true, didn't he know this when he signed the contract?

[/QUOTE]

What reports? Who says? This is utter bullcr@p.  

First of all, there is no credible source that this is at all on Lackey's mind. This is pure flaming by a troll.

Second of all, even if the threat were real, so what? If he retires and skips 2015, the Sox just loose out on a draft pick or a trade opportunity. This hardly affects the Sox at all. It would make Lackey a dirtbag; but really the bottom line for the Sox is no big deal. 

In any case, I don't believe this bull. Provide credible sources. Until then, the OP is just a troll flaming the forum and should be banned, no warning given.

[/QUOTE]

If you think Lackey is playing next year for the minimum you must be dreaming.  Rosenthal and Sean McAdam both had this story. Its on NESN.  The story has legs.  Lackey's agents are most likely using this as leverage for another contract.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Illinisoxfan. Show Illinisoxfan's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I'll still put my money on Lackey pitching next year without complaint.

That being said, I'd think about extending him for 1 year at $8.5M with an $8M signing bonus paid throughout 2015. In a sense, we will pay him $8.5M next year and $8.5M in 2016.

Sox4ever

[/QUOTE]

You are dreaming.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

In response to Illinisoxfan's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to S5's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

If you think Lackey is playing next year for the minimum you are on fantasy island.

[/QUOTE]

I agree.  He's not.  IMO the FO will sign him for ~$33/2 years.  His original contract was for $82.5/5 years or $16.5/yr.  Again IMO Lackey will be a stand-up guy and realize that while $16.5/yr is cheap in today's market it's the hit he has to take for the Sox losing a year of his services. 

That's why I think this whole discussion is a moot point. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from RigatoniT. Show RigatoniT's posts

The media has legs..... even if Lackey was not worried about they have and will ask him about it until the end of time.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

Total fail by the OP pushing this rumor/talk show BS fodder disguised as news. 

Lackey has NOT threatened to retire. 

Throwing him under the bus right now is absurd, this team has much bigger issues at the moment than thinking about next season. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxpride34. Show redsoxpride34's posts

If lackey truly is threatening to retire, then he is not the player many of us thought he was. He signed the contract, he has to honour it. And what about the first 2 years of his contract where he was terrible and was making what $18 a year? His era’s the first 2 years were 4.40 and 6.41. So he got paid like a #1/2 starter but pitched like a #4/5. He had no problem banking the $36 mill over those 2 years, but now he won’t play for $500 k? The guy has made well over 100 mill during his career, I think he can afford to play 1 year for cheap and honour his contract. If he refuses to play, then I say we let him retire. The last thing we should do is reward him with a new contract. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from RigatoniT. Show RigatoniT's posts

I don't know about this story but I always got a kick moonslav59 has been so certain lackey would suck it up and pitch in 2015 for peanuts. 

Those players are far and few in between... and normally are guys who have been with a team for most if not all their career. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to djcbuffum's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to steven11's comment:

[QUOTE]

Maybe not his words but it is something the sox need to consider.

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

They absolutely do not need to "consider" this completely fabricated threat. The blog cited by ADG says, "reports are coming out that Lackey would consider retiring instead of coming back next year and playing for the minimum," and then cites no sources: 

In response to ADG's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Here's one link:

http://www.rantsports.com/mlb/2014/06/09/john-lackey-threatening-retirement-is-bush-league/";;" rel="nofollow">http://www.rantsports.com/mlb/2014/06/09/john-lackey-threatening-retirement-is-bush-league/";" rel="nofollow">http://www.rantsports.com/mlb/2014/06/09/john-lackey-threatening-retirement-is-bush-league/";;; rel="nofollow">http://www.rantsports.com/mlb/2014/06/09/john-lackey-threatening-retirement-is-bush-league/" rel="nofollow">http://www.rantsports.com/mlb/2014/06/09/john-lackey-threatening-retirement-is-bush-league/" rel="nofollow">http://www.rantsports.com/mlb/2014/06/09/john-lackey-threatening-retirement-is-bush-league/

If he is, then maybe he should first pay back the $16.5M he made when he was injured. And if this is true, didn't he know this when he signed the contract?

[/QUOTE]

What reports? Who says? This is utter bullcr@p.  

First of all, there is no credible source that this is at all on Lackey's mind. This is pure flaming by a troll.

Second of all, even if the threat were real, so what? If he retires and skips 2015, the Sox just loose out on a draft pick or a trade opportunity. This hardly affects the Sox at all. It would make Lackey a dirtbag; but really the bottom line for the Sox is no big deal. 

In any case, I don't believe this bull. Provide credible sources. Until then, the OP is just a troll flaming the forum and should be banned, no warning given.

[/QUOTE]

If you think Lackey is playing next year for the minimum you must be dreaming.  Rosenthal and Sean McAdam both had this story. Its on NESN.  The story has legs.  Lackey's agents are most likely using this as leverage for another contract.

[/QUOTE]

LOL, the story has legs.  You do realize this is NOT a story about what Lackey said, or what was heard he said or ANYTHING coming from Lackeys camp.  It was a speculative statement, it could have been said about any player.  It all started with Ken Rosenthal.

This story is garbage, taken out of context, and the it's crap like this that starts rumors...and I'm in shock that even after all this debate people can't spend 10 minutes on google to figure that out.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Lackey is not threatening to retire. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

That being said, I'd think about extending him for 1 year at $8.5M with an $8M signing bonus paid throughout 2015. In a sense, we will pay him $8.5M next year and $8.5M in 2016.

Sox4ever

[/QUOTE]

You are dreaming.

[/QUOTE]

Lackey might try to negotiate a better contract, and not want to pitch for the league minimum.  That all makes perfect sense.

But that doesn't mean this story isn't B.S.  Just because something is plausible doesn't mean it isn't B.S. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

People need to realize the difference between a news story based on eye witness accounts and quotes.

and then a story, that is speculative in nature and has no merit.

This all started based on Ken Rosenthal suggesting that Lackey could retire as a means of leverage.  He could have wrote anything.  Then some Joe Shmo at a second rate site posts and article and says he has "sources" but doesn't link any "sources" meanwhile there isn't one legit article from a legit news site online confirming this.

Yet any D.A. an type into google "john lackey retirement" and what do you think is the first thing that comes up?  Google isn't trying to find you the truth, it's trying to find those 3 words used in the same article or sentence and will obviously return something like Rantsports.  If this story had any REAL legs you would see at least ONE of ESPN.com WEEI, NESN, CBSSPORTS, etc etc etc but you don't see ANYTHING!!!

and then a sports announcer references what Rosenthal said and then somehow his speculation gets confirmed into fact.  There is the pathology of stupid right there.

If you don't like John Lackey, or you just think ball players are greedy in general.  It is too easy to see any of those things as confirmation that you are correct.   But the only thing that has even remotely come from the Sox Brass or Lackeys' camp regarding the issue that I can find except an interview with Ben Charington on D&D and while he doesn't go into specifics he in no way seems to imply

http://fullcount.weei.com/sports/boston/baseball/red-sox/2014/04/10/ben-cherington-on-dc-john-lackey-going-to-keep-pitching-past-2015/" rel="nofollow">http://fullcount.weei.com/sports/boston/baseball/red-sox/2014/04/10/ben-cherington-on-dc-john-lackey-going-to-keep-pitching-past-2015/" rel="nofollow">http://fullcount.weei.com/sports/boston/baseball/red-sox/2014/04/10/ben-cherington-on-dc-john-lackey-going-to-keep-pitching-past-2015/

If we want to have a conversation about a John Lackey extension, and say things like "hey you know it is a plausible scenario that Lackey could just retire, and perhaps he uses that as leverage" then that is fine.  But call it for what it is...pure 100% unbridled speculation.  Now, on the flip side, if you think there is a sports story or two, that is credible or is based off of accounts of what John Lackey has been saying then there is very little hope for you.  Didn't any of you ever go to college???? did you ever have to write a paper? use sources? etc etc.  Not trying to sound mean, but if you use this low information as a confirmation bias to bash Lackey then I'm going to bash you.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

http://fansided.com/2014/06/09/mlb-rumors-boston-red-sox-might-lose-john-lackey-retirement-season/#!WWfph"; rel="nofollow">http://fansided.com/2014/06/09/mlb-rumors-boston-red-sox-might-lose-john-lackey-retirement-season/#!WWfph

Here is another one, yet another 3rd rate site.  At least this Jacko has the common sense to link his rumors to Ken Rosenthals reports...which again doesn't state any of this coming from Lackeys camp and purely suggests it in a speculative nature, please do some research.

...and putting "John Lackey threatens retirement" into a google search isn't research.  If I put "the world is actually flat" into google I would get a bunch of "proof" that the world is flat.

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=the+world+is+actually+flat"; rel="nofollow">https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=the+world+is+actually+flat

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from RSPCB73. Show RSPCB73's posts

[QUOTE]

Sox4ever

[/QUOTE]

Moon, that's a great idea. Gives Lackey some dignity and greater motivation. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

In response to splendidsplinterteddyballgame's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Just when we were starting to love Lackey for his new body, new attitude, clutch performances last year and good overall pitching its been reported that he may  retire next year rather than play for the minimum according to the contract HE signed.  Come on man!!!!!!!!

[/QUOTE]

Well, he is just another Big Papi guy whining for more money for the future!  Just cant understand that he got a very good contract, and knew that he will be an often injure proned pitcher.  He have been on DL from 2011 to 2013.  That is alot of times that he was placed on DL, and still whine over for more money.  Guess he must be paying a whole alot of money to his ex wife, and knew next year he wouldnt be a financial happy person due he will be only making 500,000 dollars for the year!!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

Nowhere have I seen any quotes of Lackey making an issue of the contract option...this thread and some of the posts in it are just creating a problem where there is not one.

Even if he did decide to retire (I don't believe he will), would that make him some kind of scum-bag, as some of the posts here seem to be suggesting? He will be 36 after this season and has had a nice career for himself; he came back from TJ surgery and not only excelled again but won a ring. Obviously it would be optimal for the Red Sox if he continued to provide quality pitching at an extremely team-friendly salary, but for him to decide to hang 'em up at that point would not be the most outrageous decision.

I think some kind of extension will be worked out, though, personally. With Lester and Peavy going into free agency and Doubront and Buchholz big question marks (as always), his status as a veteran leader of the rotation would seem to be more important than ever.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

John Lackey on 2015 team option: ‘There’s some things to think about’

http://fullcount.weei.com/sports/boston/baseball/red-sox/2014/06/10/john-lackey-on-2015-team-option-theres-some-things-to-think-about/" rel="nofollow">http://fullcount.weei.com/sports/boston/baseball/red-sox/2014/06/10/john-lackey-on-2015-team-option-theres-some-things-to-think-about/" rel="nofollow">http://fullcount.weei.com/sports/boston/baseball/red-sox/2014/06/10/john-lackey-on-2015-team-option-theres-some-things-to-think-about/

screwy system just click on bottom of link

There’s a lot of things I’m going to have to think about at the end of the season, the way that’s structured and that sort of thing. So, we’ll see.”

While Lackey agreed to the contract structure that would potentially have him in line to make rookie money, the right-hander expressed some pause about the idea of actually doing so. He didn’t draw lines in the sand, but he also stopped short of saying unequivocally that he would pitch for the Red Sox next year even if it meant doing so at a salary of roughly $500,000.

“I haven’t thought that far ahead. Just thinking about pitching right now. It’s definitely something I’ll have to think about at the end of the season, whether I want to keep going, whether ‘€¦ ,” Lackey trailed off. “There will be a lot of things to consider.”

Of course, given the level at which Lackey’s performed since his return from Tommy John, and his enjoyment of pitching while once again healthy and strong (“I’m having a blast,” he said), it’s hard to fathom the idea that he’d willingly walk way from pitching after this year.

“Yeah, but, there’s things to think about,” Lackey said with a laugh.

like I said I'd be surprised if he doesn't at least bluff to retire 4 a year

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

i wouldn't be surprised if lackey or his agent leaked the rumor.  let him prove me wrong by playing for the minimum next year.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

In response to slasher9's comment:
    [QUOTE]

i wouldn't be surprised if lackey or his agent leaked the rumor.  let him prove me wrong by playing for the minimum next year.

[/QUOTE]

Exactly, slash

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Illinisoxfan. Show Illinisoxfan's posts

In response to slasher9's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

That is not going to happen.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Illinisoxfan. Show Illinisoxfan's posts

In response to BostonTrollSpanker's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Total fail by the OP pushing this rumor/talk show BS fodder disguised as news. 

Lackey has NOT threatened to retire. 

Throwing him under the bus right now is absurd, this team has much bigger issues at the moment than thinking about next season. 

[/QUOTE]

How in the world do you know that Lackey hasn't mentioned retiring rather than play for the minimum? Are you with him 24/7.  Or are you John Lackey?  Quit living in la la land.  He is not pitching next year for the minimum.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from BogieAt12oclock. Show BogieAt12oclock's posts

Until I hear this on FOX NEWS I won't believe it.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from mellymel3. Show mellymel3's posts

In response to billge's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I am retired, but I will play for the minimum, so it all works out.  Problem solved

[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I'm old and used and I can still pitch better than Bucholtz...and all I'd need for pay is a pair of prescription sunglasses and a seat near where the ball girls do their work!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from mellymel3. Show mellymel3's posts

Face it guys...the Sons of Lucchino are dead this year...that's one mighty outfield they've produced this year...no amount of hoping, believing in miracles or rosary bead sessions are getting them in the playoffs this year...they flat out stink...