Lackey: Will he age well going forward?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Re: Lackey: Will he age well going forward?

I believe the annual average value of a contract is used for luxury tax purposes and not year by year outflows.  So I'm not positive on this but I think Lackey has already saved us money going forward.  Not to mention we have no real big long term contracts, more money coming off the books next year, and the luxury tax goes up 11 million next year.  Teams would kill to have our payroll flexibility.

Actaully scracth that, lots of teams have that flexibility and choose not to use it.  But out of all the big spender; we have the position to be most envied.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

I'm not sure how they'd refigure the luxury tax amount, but right now Lackey's deal counts as $16.5M in 2014 and Min salary for 2015. The union won't let him restructure if his overall value goes down, but they could thrown him a bone and add 100 or 200K. Basically, we'd pay him about $8.1M both years. That would save us about $8M, if they figure it that way, but if they figure it as $83.5M over 6 years (the whole deal), then the average salary would go from $16.5M to about $13.9M- a savings of just $2.6M for 2014, but a big negative difference for 2015.

Any luxury tax experts out there?

Sox4ever

The AAV of the contract counts against the CBT. The haven't picked up the option yet probably waiting until the offseason to maximumize the effectiveness. His AAV would go from 15.5 to about 8.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to BosoxJoe5's comment:

In response to moonslav59's comment:

[QUOTE]

I'm not sure how they'd refigure the luxury tax amount, but right now Lackey's deal counts as $16.5M in 2014 and Min salary for 2015. The union won't let him restructure if his overall value goes down, but they could thrown him a bone and add 100 or 200K. Basically, we'd pay him about $8.1M both years. That would save us about $8M, if they figure it that way, but if they figure it as $83.5M over 6 years (the whole deal), then the average salary would go from $16.5M to about $13.9M- a savings of just $2.6M for 2014, but a big negative difference for 2015.

Any luxury tax experts out there?

Sox4ever

The AAV of the contract counts against the CBT. The haven't picked up the option yet probably waiting until the offseason to maximumize the effectiveness. His AAV would go from 15.5 to about 8.

[/QUOTE]

If they don't need the cap space for 2014, they may hold off until after 2014, so they save close to $8M being charged towards 2015. I'm not sure if it works this way, but I think we may want to spend this winter. I figured we're at about $45M to $55M to spend depending on Lester's option. That seems like a lot, but we need to fill all these slots:

1B (Napoli FA)

CF (Ellsbury FA)

C (Salty FA)

SS/3B (Drew FA/Middlebrooks AAA?)

Maybe we'll need the $8M- maybe not. We may fill 1 or 2 of these holes from within:

1B: Middlebrooks? (Bogaerts to 3B)

1B: Carp

1B: Almanzar

CF: Victorino (Nava or Brentz to RF)

CF: Bradley

C: Lavarnway or Vazquez

3B/SS: Bogaerts

Sections
Shortcuts