Lackey will turn it around second half starting tonite

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from edjurak. Show edjurak's posts

Lackey will turn it around second half starting tonite

Not going to get into value of contract, and cant speak to an injury, but his stats are deceiving.  5 horrendous starts heve skewed ERA.  Prediction for rest of year from here on:

7-3 Record sub 4.0 ERA and 100 Innings, and he'll always take the ball.  The Milwaukee game where he gave up 4 early runs, and still lasted 8 innings - thats his value- not many pitchers today would be able to do that. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

Re: Lackey will turn it around second half starting tonite

In Response to Lackey will turn it around second half starting tonite:
    Not going to get into value of contract, and cant speak to an injury, but his stats are deceiving.  5 horrendous starts heve skewed ERA.  Prediction for rest of year from here on: 7-3 Record sub 4.0 ERA and 100 Innings, and he'll always take the ball.  The Milwaukee game where he gave up 4 early runs, and still lasted 8 innings - thats his value- not many pitchers today would be able to do that. 
    Posted by edjurak

I'll take the under on wins, the over on losses, the over on ERA and the under on IP.

But I still think he improves....

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from small-package. Show small-package's posts

todays start is taylor made for a turnaround fo lackey.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

Not going to get into value of contract, and cant speak to an injury, but his stats are deceiving.  5 horrendous starts heve skewed ERA.  Prediction for rest of year from here on: 7-3 Record sub 4.0 ERA and 100 Innings, and he'll always take the ball.  The Milwaukee game where he gave up 4 early runs, and still lasted 8 innings - thats his value- not many pitchers today would be able to do that. 
    Posted by edjurak

If Lackey gets hammered today against the last place Orioles you can count on that trend continuing.  He loses his grip much too easy which is a horrible trait to have in the AL East.  Even worse when you don't have very good stuff to begin with.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from sindarin-erebor. Show sindarin-erebor's posts

My prediction is he puts the Red Sox in a position of having to score at least 8 to win.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from markes8336. Show markes8336's posts

I'd love to share your optimism. But...

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

In Response to Re: Lackey will turn it around second half starting tonite:
    In Response to Lackey will turn it around second half starting tonite : If Lackey gets hammered today against the last place Orioles you can count on that trend continuing.  He loses his grip much too easy which is a horrible trait to have in the AL East.  Even worse when you don't have very good stuff to begin with.
    Posted by craze4sox

What is keeping the Orioles in last place is the pitching.

They really do not have a bad hitting lineup. Markakis, Jones, Lee , Guerrero, Weiters, Scott ( who's on the DL) ...are all good hitters.

If Lackey pitches poorly against this lineup, it won't surprise me.

I think his problems are all mental, hopefully he pulls a 2004 Derek Lowe, and pitches well in postseason after a rather poor regular season.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from cpjohn1. Show cpjohn1's posts

I hope you're right.  I really want to like Lackey.  I don't even care about the money, just pitch decent.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from law2009a. Show law2009a's posts

m

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hammah29r2. Show Hammah29r2's posts

hey, ya know what? last nite I saw big John right smack dab right into the middle of the scrum backing big papi in that bench clearing brawl. all you fkn haters that hate big John? you all can go down to nantaskett beach and bring gloves......why, cause you all can pound fkn sand is why. I am officially a John Lackey supporter ok? yeah I said it. I am a John Lackey supporter. I hope he blows the fkn oriholes away tonight. take a good close look at the replay of the fight yesterday. Lackey was right in the middle backing papi up. you wanna hate big John? go ahead. as far as I'm concerned, I'm rooting for the big guy to blow the fkn Oriholes away to night..........Go Big John! kick some sorry azzed Orihole butt baby............do it man.........Hammah has your back bro!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from law2009a. Show law2009a's posts

m

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from law2009a. Show law2009a's posts

n

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Pretty good (and high risk) OP.  I thought Lackey could pitch like this, but certainly would not have predicted it. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

And it was the thread author's initial post!
    If you look at his reasoning, it clearly shows how a few poor outings skew the numbers. He wasn't influenced by the board's frustration with Lackey. He saw it clear. 

As I stated several times, most of his poor outings were before his cortisone shot (elbow). His velocity has been fine in his outings since. His command has been erratic, possibly due to the "artificial feeling" of numbing/reduced inflammation.

Last time out, he was throwing 93 on the black. But hitters were all over it because he had no control of his bread-and-butter breaking stuff.

Lackey in decent form will beat weaker teams. That's why I projected he'll be at least .500 upon his return from the DL.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

Good outing for Lackey tonight.

I'm encouraged by the increase in his K/BB ratio since returning from the DL.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

Posted by edjurak

Nice job. Your faith has been rewarded.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

In Response to Re: Lackey will turn it around second half starting tonite:
    hey, ya know what? last nite I saw big John right smack dab right into the middle of the scrum backing big papi in that bench clearing brawl. all you fkn haters that hate big John? you all can go down to nantaskett beach and bring gloves......why, cause you all can pound fkn sand is why. I am officially a John Lackey supporter ok? yeah I said it. I am a John Lackey supporter. I hope he blows the fkn oriholes away tonight. take a good close look at the replay of the fight yesterday. Lackey was right in the middle backing papi up. you wanna hate big John? go ahead. as far as I'm concerned, I'm rooting for the big guy to blow the fkn Oriholes away to night..........Go Big John! kick some sorry azzed Orihole butt baby............do it man.........Hammah has your back bro!
    Posted by Hammah29r2

Go get 'em, Hammah! And he must have heard you. :)

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxfaninmichigan. Show soxfaninmichigan's posts

Lackey seems impatient with reporters, especially when they seem to overinterpret, so he probably won't be popular with the press, but why not just let him be who he is, go out and pitch, and get supported by the fans.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

I need to know if his elbow needs repair or not. This is insane. One very good game followed by one terrible game, and then followed by another good game.....

Where does it end?

One minute posters want him traded to Mars and the next posters are saying "wow what a turn around."

Dependable is not a word I would use at this point, but enough with the elbow talk if he is capable of pitching like this still.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

Once a pitcher has some real mileage on him, it's like a car that doesn't run like it did when it was new. Lackey has used parts, but in the case of his elbow, it was "fixable" with a cort. shot. Proof of this is his velocity. He's throwing as hard as he did last year. His command is erratic because his mechanics aren't consistent.

This is due to either a poor pitching coach who is not paying attention to detail, and/or compensating for injury/discomfort or simply getting used to "feeling different" in the affected area. He has to learn how to compensate.
    And his margin for error isn't like that of Buch or Lester or Josh.
    So, like Wake, he has no safety net.

Detecting a serious condition is often done by looking at regression in velocity, as was the case with Dice (He threw 88 in his final outing. Normally, it's 92-93).

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from joel49. Show joel49's posts

It's all about the gum.  He was chawing the biggest wad in starter history.  It may be worth its own thread.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from cpjohn1. Show cpjohn1's posts

Good job, Lackey.  He even plunked Markakis.  I'm sure it was on purpose.Laughing

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

Posted by edjurak

Don't take this wrong, I'm happy everytime our pitchers give us a nice effort like John did last might.  With that said it seems to be every two or three starts with John so I'm just hoping it lasts. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

First: 7/9/2011
    Last: 7/9/2011
    Not going to get into value of contract, and cant speak to an injury, but his stats are deceiving.  5 horrendous starts heve skewed ERA.  Prediction for rest of year from here on:

7-3 Record sub 4.0 ERA and 100 Innings, and he'll always take the ball.  The Milwaukee game where he gave up 4 early runs, and still lasted 8 innings - thats his value- not many pitchers today would be able to do that.
    Ed,

I hope you are right!  Last night was a great first step.  I'm all for Lackey doing well - for the team AND for his own mindset.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from law2009a. Show law2009a's posts

m

Sections
Shortcuts