Lackey's 2nd Inning: 35 pitches, 3 hits, 3 RUNS! I've seen this movie before.... :(

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

Re: Lackey's 2nd Inning: 35 pitches, 3 hits, 3 RUNS! I've seen this movie before.... :(

In response to Schumpeters-Ghost's comment:

Everyone needs to calm down about Lackey.

He had major surgery.  It is going to take some time. 

Remember if he pitches decent - it will be a plus.

People who were saying he'd win 18 games are insane.

+1

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Re: Lackey's 2nd Inning: 35 pitches, 3 hits, 3 RUNS! I've seen this movie before.... :(

Sorry, but I have to call it like I see it, and how it really is...If anyone here expected Lackey to come out of the gates "Guns a Blazin'", sorry to rain on your fantasy world because it wasnt going to happen.

Pitchers who havent thrown a ball in a MLB game for a year and a half require extra time to get the feel, stamina, velocity, and control back. Thats just reality, like it or not.

Lets try and be a little realistic about things. Guys NEVER return from having a shredded elbow and TJS and dominate right away. It just DOESNT HAPPEN.

I recall a lot of folks here realizing this, and expecting a slow start from JL and things picking up for him in May or June. Thats a more realistic view.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

Sorry, but I have to call it like I see it, and how it really is...If anyone here expected Lackey to come out of the gates "Guns a Blazin'", sorry to rain on your fantasy world because it wasnt going to happen.

Pitchers who havent thrown a ball in a MLB game for a year and a half require extra time to get the feel, stamina, velocity, and control back. Thats just reality, like it or not.

Lets try and be a little realistic about things. Guys NEVER return from having a shredded elbow and TJS and dominate right away. It just DOESNT HAPPEN.

I recall a lot of folks here realizing this, and expecting a slow start from JL and things picking up for him in May or June. Thats a more realistic view.

What are people expecting anyway? If he wins 12 games and has an ERA of 4.5 it's a plus. Like the guy or not ( and I don't) he battles and if he is healthy at all he will do okay.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

While I tend to agree, it is ironic that you are taking a pro-Lackey stance yet you were the first and loudest to ridicule Bailey when he struggled after coming back from surgery...

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

In response to notin's comment:

While I tend to agree, it is ironic that you are taking a pro-Lackey stance yet you were the first and loudest to ridicule Bailey when he struggled after coming back from surgery...

He hates Bailey because he loves Reddick. It's pretty much that simple.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to snakeoil123's comment:

In response to southpaw777's comment:

What are people expecting anyway? If he wins 12 games and has an ERA of 4.5 it's a plus. Like the guy or not ( and I don't) he battles and if he is healthy at all he will do okay.

I dont hold very high expectation for lackey this year. 12ish wins with about 10ish losses and a low to mid 4 era. I would be thrilled with these number from him. Our #5 pitcher right now

I expect a slow start also. If he gives us more, bonus.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

Look on the bright side, at least Lackey is no longer fat.   LOL

During the 2013 season, as long as he has an ERA at around 4.50, then I will be happy.  I do not expect more from him. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

In response to redsoxdirtdog's comment:

All I can say is, great Boston Red Sox fans have good reason to question Lackey!  As I've said many times, I will root like hell for him, but I think we've EARNED the right to question the guy.  I know many of you reflexively think it's disloyal to question any Red Sox player, but I care much more about the team than some schmuckk who was dubbed one of the 3 horsemen in ST of 2010.  Trouble was, he was riding the apocalypse down upon our Red Sox.

CLEARLY early ST generally tells us next to nothing about how a guy is going to do in the regular season, but with Lackey????

If Lackey does great, there will be no happier Sox fan than me!  I stand behind the Sox!  Not Lackey!  He's got a lot to prove to win us back!!!

It's only disloyal to question home grown guys, transplants are fair game, at least, that seems to be the norm.

I think your post is disingenuos. You say you were ready to get behind him, but I really believe you knew (and maybe even hoped) he wouldn't have a good start.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to Alibiike's comment:

All I can say is, great Boston Red Sox fans have good reason to question Lackey!  As I've said many times, I will root like hell for him, but I think we've EARNED the right to question the guy.  I know many of you reflexively think it's disloyal to question any Red Sox player, but I care much more about the team than some schmuckk who was dubbed one of the 3 horsemen in ST of 2010.  Trouble was, he was riding the apocalypse down upon our Red Sox.

CLEARLY early ST generally tells us next to nothing about how a guy is going to do in the regular season, but with Lackey????

If Lackey does great, there will be no happier Sox fan than me!  I stand behind the Sox!  Not Lackey!  He's got a lot to prove to win us back!!!

It's only disloyal to question home grown guys, transplants are fair game, at least, that seems to be the norm.

I think your post is disingenuos. You say you were ready to get behind him, but I really believe you knew (and maybe even hoped) he wouldn't have a good start.

in this one thread alone he switched his stance on lackey 11 times! talk about bi-polar.... either root for him or don't. you cant have both.

RSDD is about as consistent as the weather in CNY..

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

I am sure someone can supply definite Stas but 12 wins for a #5 starter wuld probably be way above average, so if Lackey gives us 12 or more wins while being over .500 that would be exceptional. As to his ST , lets calm down.....he gave up two Ground Ball singles and then hung a breaking pitch.....pitchers do not pitch the same in ST as they do in the regular season....in the regular season they go to their out pitch when they are in a jam.....in ST they may decide to see how a different pitch is working....see what type of command they have of it....for all I know that may have been one of the firt breaking pitches Lackey has thrown this spring.....there is  a reason the second word is TRAINING!!!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to selenium-'s comment:

RSDD           - Lackey

Enchilada      - Napoli

JackBU          - Big Papi

Softlaw          - Ellsbury

Andrewmitch  - JD Drew

Youkillus20     - Youk

Schumpeter    - Bailey

Georom          - Beckett

Bosox1941     - Francona

George Burns - cigar

Minnie Pearl - hat tag

everyone - pike

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hetchinspete. Show Hetchinspete's posts

To Dirtdog, 

Does that include feathers and all !! The crow you'll be consuming. One can only hope. 

You like many in Boston and probably NYC are way too over reactive. An athlete who has not really touched a baseball in probably about 18 months doesn't suddenly come back and pitch lights out baseball. I fully expect Lackey to have good games and then struggle time and again. It may take him much of the year to pitch well but I fully expect him to eventually be a decent 3-4 starter winning 14-15 games next year, maybe 12 this year if he does well enough. Most pitchers who have the same surgery take well more than a year to come back to pitch effectively. 

As for your picking on the guy but saying you really hope he does well, you're just taking both sides so you come out smelling like a Rose no matter what happens.   

Hetch

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

the fact that he is in great shape and strengthening his arm is the most important thing here....we canw orry about his record in may

14. This post has been removed.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

Sorry!  Gotta call it like I see it....  Sounds like the same old same old ST nonsense I've grown accustomed to hearing from Lackey every ST!  "So few pitches in the 1st, it's all about getting up & down a few times.......getting my pitches in.......  hitting my spots....  Arm strength good.... yada yada yada."

I've heard the same song & dance from him every ST.  The only thing different is his attitude & his being in good shape!  BRAVO for that!!!!  Still, the results are always the same....

Admittedly, I've been killing the guy since he stepped foot in Boston, BUT I've really been hoping to jump behind him this ST as he did come into camp with a great attitude (much dif. than the last few years), and seemingly in GREAT SHAPE.

I just don't see it happening.  He is what he is!  So far, 3 innings, & he's given up 4 runs.  NOT GOOD!  In fact, he's sucked!  PERIOD!

Now some of you ladies are about to come unglued???  Let me remind you how off the charts, breathlessly atwitter you've been over JBJ.  If you bash me over bashing Lackey with the small sample, you might want to get ahold of yourself with respect to JBJ.  Your scorn over my blaspheming Lackey, juxtaposed to your teenybopper giddiness with JBJ is simply laughable.

For the record.....  I really like JBJ!!!!  Just preemptively pointing out your hypocrisy.  :)

Now man up & have at me!  :)

Hmm.  

I thought this was a Lackey thread.

Threw us a curve, ya did.

Re Lackey:  1st time back from surgery ... give him time.

Re JBJ:  We may not give him time ...apparently we aren't the only ones who like what he's doing....

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to georom4's comment:

the fact that he is in great shape and strengthening his arm is the most important thing here....we canw orry about his record in may

c'mon RSDD.. even Geo is being realistic about this!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

This madness needs to stop.  Does John Lackey have somthing to prove? YES.  With his recent track record can we assume he will have a subpar season as opposed to a good one? YES (hoping he proves us wrong)

But you canno't decipher much from ST that will carry over into the regular season performance.

Pitchers focus on hitting spots and throwing pitches that IS IT.  Lets say normally a pitcher knows a guy is a good inside fastball hitter.  He will NOT throw him an inside fastball, but in spring training he will if that is what he is working on.

Pitchers are not trying to mix it up and fool hitters as much, and younger players who are trying to impress tend to eat up fastballs and mash the ball.

WHY DO YOU THINK JBJ IS HITTING .500!?!?!?!?!?  you think he's going to be a career .500 hitter? of course not.  Now I realize there are things to consider such as the ridiculously small sample size he has at the plate but I think my point is clear.

Like I said, Lackey has something to prove, but lets wait until he starts stinking in games that matter until we turn into a bunch of debbie and donny downers. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

Typical Red Sox post.... Everything is greater than it really is and everything is worse than what it really is

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Modano9009. Show Modano9009's posts

Lackey's on a short leash with me and the only reason I'm even cheering for him is because he showed up in shape and, frankly, who else do we have? But it's spring training, I wouldn't judge him on that. Unless he's having a record bad year (which would be challanging the record he himself set), I give him until the All Star break to work himself back into shape - if he doesn't have it by then he's done.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

What's the problem--Lackey pitched two innings after a one inning outing a couple of days ago. He got a little more work in than originally planned yesterday.

He hung a curve so sue him--get off the guys back--I'm looking forward to him being  ready in April.

This is an extra long ST--hopefully the pitchers will pace themselves and have something when they break camp and head north.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

I don't think you can evaluate much of anything with pitchers right now - maybe somebody like Bard or De La Rosa you can be encouraged if you see velocity returning.  But a guy like Lackey is probably not even concerned with getting batters out right now - better to hang a curve-ball  in February than not know if it's there for you come April.

I'd say a guy like Bradley is a bit different - you can't pencil him into the lineup just yet, but he's not working on anything - he's showcasing.  And there's nothing wrong with liking what we've seen so far.

23. This post has been removed.

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

In response to TheExaminer's comment:

In response to TheExaminer's comment:

But "the ball was coming out of his hand really well"...........lol......but I think he'll be ok. I think he'll surprise some people. I still predict 14-9/3.80ish.

DAMN!  I forgot to add "the ball coming out of his hand really well."  NICE!  :)  LOL...  Seriously laughing out loud on that one.

If he wins 14, I will HAPPILY video myself eating a crow, & post it on this board!!! 

If you do that, be sure to wear your Batman mask to protect the ones you care about. If you go on as Bruce Wayne and expose your true identity, Pike will find you, yes, he will find you. He will post: "If the profile of redsoxdirtdog is not deleted in the next 60 minutes, I will blow up a server, and every day he does not come forward, someone will be banned." Take his threats seriously my friend

LOL

LOL 2....

Sections
Shortcuts