Lackey's True Colors

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jam789123. Show jam789123's posts

Lackey's True Colors

John Lackey was quoted as saying he would honor his contract for St. Louis but may not have depending on where he was traded.  Good riddance to this greedy SOB.  He has lost all integrity and credibility if he believes it is alright to take 16 million for doing nothing and then not honor the remainder of his contract.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

Re: Lackey's True Colors

In response to jam789123's comment:
    [QUOTE]

John Lackey was quoted as saying he would honor his contract for St. Louis but may not have depending on where he was traded.  Good riddance to this greedy SOB.  He has lost all integrity and credibility if he believes it is alright to take 16 million for doing nothing and then not honor the remainder of his contract.

[/QUOTE]

Sox Paid Lackey about 80million for 4+ seasons. As much as Lou "I don't live in reality" Merloni likes to use him as an example of older pitchers doing well, and big contracts working out OK, let's see what they got for their money:

47-43, WHIP (roughly 1.40) and ERA (around 4.40) both over career averages (1.32, 4.02) during his stay in Boston, and let's not forget the entirety of 2012 that he spent on the DL. Yes, he's doing better NOW, after getting his arm repaired on the Sox dime.

Big contracts don't work for pitchers over 30.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

I have to say every time I see the Becket, Lester and Lackey picture in the Francona book I can only think of the Collapse and the part those three played in the "Chicken and Beer" episode.

Obviously Lester is younger but for me I felt the loss of Lackey Thursday was bigger than Lester. I think Lackey, being a few years removed from the surgery was pitching his best baseball. I could see him having a good stay in St.Louis; by the same token they have a lot of good arms in their system. No matter where Lackey is next year, it's his walk year and he will be looking for at least one more payday. Whether the Cards extend him or trade him to a team like Oakland who might give him two years at $20-25 he will continue to be competitive.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonBruinss. Show BostonBruinss's posts

I saw Lackeys true colors last season when he helped win the World Series.  More drivel from spoiled entitled Boston people who are some of the worst unloyal sports fans to walk this planet.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from sycophant123. Show sycophant123's posts

In response to BostonBruinss' comment:
    [QUOTE]

I saw Lackeys true colors last season when he helped win the World Series.  More drivel from spoiled entitled Boston people who are some of the worst unloyal sports fans to walk this planet.

[/QUOTE]

Agreed. Lackey is a beast. I don't care about his personality at all.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

In response to ma6dragon9's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Sox Paid Lackey about 80million for 4+ seasons. As much as Lou "I don't live in reality" Merloni likes to use him as an example of older pitchers doing well, and big contracts working out OK, let's see what they got for their money:

47-43, WHIP (roughly 1.40) and ERA (around 4.40) both over career averages (1.32, 4.02) during his stay in Boston, and let's not forget the entirety of 2012 that he spent on the DL. Yes, he's doing better NOW, after getting his arm repaired on the Sox dime.

[/QUOTE]B I N G O  DAT  !!!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonBruinss. Show BostonBruinss's posts

In response to Bill-806's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Im surprised even you have this little insight Bill, Ever heard of Randy Johnson, Curt Schilling, Tom Seaver, Dave Stewart, Jack Morris, Andy Pettite, Roger Clemens. and Mike Mussina?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonBruinss. Show BostonBruinss's posts

In response to sycophant123's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Agreed. Lackey is a beast. I don't care about his personality at all.

[/QUOTE]

Yeah me too, Ill be honest I wasn't a fan his first few year bc he well... stunk, but last year proved this guy is a gamer and a winner

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Im surprised even you have this little insight Bill, Ever heard of Randy Johnson, Curt Schilling, Tom Seaver, Dave Stewart, Jack Morris, Andy Pettite, Roger Clemens. and Mike Mussina?

[/QUOTE]  You do understand, OH GREAT ONE, that you are talking a "DIFFERENT  ERA" and "some" of the boys you mentioned took the PED VITAMIN ......  But heck, don't let the "HERE & NOW" take away from your desire to SMARTLY SLAM a fellow poster !!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

Whether people like him or not matters not, he's gone now so who cares.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from sycophant123. Show sycophant123's posts

In response to stan17's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Well, see some of us follow baseball.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to RigatoniT's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Lackey is to be commended for getting back into shape last season and pitching his azz off.... but he is and always be a jerk.

[/QUOTE]

completely agree with this.....and that's kinda what I liked about him.  I don't want a player who is nice and says the right things, I want a guy who cares about winning. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

In response to sycophant123's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to stan17's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Well, see some of us follow baseball.

[/QUOTE]

As do I 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

I'm a Lackey Fan.  I approved the signing and never said it was a mistake.  Go back and check if you want but you won't find me bashing Lackey.  It was the better signing over Bay; for the money Bay wanted I preferred a big game starting pitcher.  Anyways...........the only reason why trading him now was smart was (1) because he represented a good value for someone and (2) he could make trouble for his low pay next year.  No way we will be able to tell.  The hope is that Ben had his finger on the pulse, weighed his options, and went with the decision.  A #6 hitter and a #3 starter, both under control for reasonable contracts, was pretty good.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonBruinss. Show BostonBruinss's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]  You do understand, OH GREAT ONE, that you are talking a "DIFFERENT  ERA" and "some" of the boys you mentioned took the PED VITAMIN ......  But heck, don't let the "HERE & NOW" take away from your desire to SMARTLY SLAM a fellow poster !!

[/QUOTE]

Well Bill if you were nicer to David Ortiz and a few other heroes of the red sox instead of always siding with the suits, I would be nicer to you.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

In response to andrewmitch's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I'm a Lackey Fan.  I approved the signing and never said it was a mistake.  Go back and check if you want but you won't find me bashing Lackey.  It was the better signing over Bay; for the money Bay wanted I preferred a big game starting pitcher.  Anyways...........the only reason why trading him now was smart was (1) because he represented a good value for someone and (2) he could make trouble for his low pay next year.  No way we will be able to tell.  The hope is that Ben had his finger on the pulse, weighed his options, and went with the decision.  A #6 hitter and a #3 starter, both under control for reasonable contracts, was pretty good.

[/QUOTE]

Good synopsis andrew--Craig and Kelly come from a great program--the way things look right now Kelly, once we see him, may be our #1 for a while unless Buch figures it out and looks in the mirror and realizes he has the seniority, has pitched a no-hitter in his young career and wants to be the #1 and goes for it. There's no question he has the talent. Catch the ball, get the sign and throw all within 25 seconds. Stop messing with your curls and throw the ball.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

In response to MadMc44's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Good synopsis andrew--Craig and Kelly come from a great program--the way things look right now Kelly, once we see him, may be our #1 for a while unless Buch figures it out and looks in the mirror and realizes he has the seniority, has pitched a no-hitter in his young career and wants to be the #1 and goes for it. There's no question he has the talent. Catch the ball, get the sign and throw all within 25 seconds. Stop messing with your curls and throw the ball.

[/QUOTE]

thx

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from scottwad. Show scottwad's posts

FER SHER!!
    scottwad24

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

A temperamental guy, too emotional on the mound, but last year was huge for him and the Sox.  It was Lackey, not Lester, who won what I thought was the biggest postseason game, game 3 of the ALCS, when he outpitched Verlander of the Tigers thanks in part to Napoli's solo dinger, 1-0.  He was pitching pretty well this year too, so clearly the tommy john surgery gave him a new lease on life.  But no question this was the right time to let him go assuming Ben C could get something of value in return.  

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

In response to maxbialystock's comment:
    [QUOTE]

A temperamental guy, too emotional on the mound, but last year was huge for him and the Sox.  It was Lackey, not Lester, who won what I thought was the biggest postseason game, game 3 of the ALCS, when he outpitched Verlander of the Tigers thanks in part to Napoli's solo dinger, 1-0.  He was pitching pretty well this year too, so clearly the tommy john surgery gave him a new lease on life.  But no question this was the right time to let him go assuming Ben C could get something of value in return.  

[/QUOTE]

don't forget his relief appearance

that took GUTS

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

I've got to believe JF was somewhat insulted by Lester, Lackey and Peavy--not knowing what kind of response he was going to get removing them from the game. That to me is not generally labeled as disrespect--more I don't want to take that walk back to the dugout so I'll give my manager a little snappy remark before I go showing the crowd I'm not happy leaving.

Now with these young guys JF is the man once again--I think we may see a manager with more control and be the teacher I see him to be deep down.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I'm a Lackey fan also, and never had a problem with the Sox signing him, though I thought at the time that the contract was one year too long.  My preference would have been to keep Lackey, but there was always the concern about his contract for next season.  I hate to see him go, but I am happy with the return that the Sox got for him.

I wish Lackey the best with the Cards.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

In response to MadMc44's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I've got to believe JF was somewhat insulted by Lester, Lackey and Peavy--not knowing what kind of response he was going to get removing them from the game. That to me is not generally labeled as disrespect--more I don't want to take that walk back to the dugout so I'll give my manager a little snappy remark before I go showing the crowd I'm not happy leaving.

Now with these young guys JF is the man once again--I think we may see a manager with more control and be the teacher I see him to be deep down.

[/QUOTE]

I don't see not wanting to be taken out of the game as insulting to Farrell.  Those guys are competitors.  Of course they don't want to be taken out of the game.  They are cocky, in a good way, and think that they should  stay in the game and that they can get the job done.   Personally, I like seeing that fire and that fight in my team's players.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

John Lackey was John Wayne last year to the rescue...simple as that...Nightmare start to his contract, identify the injury, sits out a year, and returns in great shape and helps the Sox to win in '13. Yet so many people hate his guts. I want 5 John Lackeys in my rotation in the reg. season and playoffs. He's a horse.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from steven11. Show steven11's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

It happens all the time.  We are looking at Shane sit out most of this season, Ortiz sat out half a season a few years back. Schilling did it his last year with the sox. 

We don't know what he would have done with the sox because he is now gone.  All we can go by is what he does with his current team.