Lackey's wife battling Cancer

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Babe-Ted. Show Babe-Ted's posts

Lackey's wife battling Cancer

John Lackey told reporters Monday that he spent most of the offseason in California because his wife, Krista, was being treated for breast cancer:

Later, Lackey explained to WEEI.com that the “treatment” Krista Lackey was undergoing throughout the offseason was to combat breast cancer, which the Red Sox’ pitcher’s wife was diagnosed with just prior to Thanksgiving.

Lackey, who was wearing a pink “Power Balance” bracelet on his left wrist as a way to further breast cancer awareness, explained that Krista “was doing really good,” and the University of New Hampshire graduate had caught the disease at a very early stage.

Krista Lackey is a lifelong Red Sox fan who moved from Maine to Huntington Beach www.fosters.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20091224/GJSPORTS03/712239744/-1/sannews01" target="_blank">after college. She married Lackey in 2008.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from law2009a. Show law2009a's posts

Re: Lackey's wife battling Cancer

m

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from AL34. Show AL34's posts

That is terrible. Now you know why he has pitched the way he has. His head is not there. Why doesn't the team give him a leave to be with her and forget about baseball which is secondary. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

That's tough on John. I agree it's probably affecting his pitching and focus. He needs to be with his wife, not sox

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from joyceand. Show joyceand's posts

In Response to Re: Lackey's wife battling Cancer:
    [QUOTE]That is terrible. Now you know why he has pitched the way he has. His head is not there. Why doesn't the team give him a leave to be with her and forget about baseball which is secondary. 
    Posted by AL34[/QUOTE]
    I agree.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN. Show COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN's posts

In Response to Lackey's wife battling Cancer:
    [QUOTE]John Lackey told reporters Monday that he spent most of the offseason in California because his wife, Krista, was being treated for breast cancer: Later, Lackey explained to WEEI.com that the “treatment” Krista Lackey was undergoing throughout the offseason was to combat breast cancer, which the Red Sox’ pitcher’s wife was diagnosed with just prior to Thanksgiving. Lackey, who was wearing a pink “Power Balance” bracelet on his left wrist as a way to further breast cancer awareness, explained that Krista “was doing really good,” and the University of New Hampshire graduate had caught the disease at a very early stage. Krista Lackey is a lifelong Red Sox fan who moved from Maine to Huntington Beach www.fosters.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20091224/GJSPORTS03/712239744/-1/sannews01 " target="_blank" /> after college . She married Lackey in 2008.
    Posted by Babe-Ted[/QUOTE]he strikes me as a tough old school guy who must have agonized even sharing this info. perhaps by getting the weight off him and allowing others to counsel and be there for him, he can get his head cleared and pitch better in time. pitching is all about cincentration, no way all that stuff couldnt have hurt and impacted his preparation. perhaps like ray oswalt recently did with the floods in his home area, lackey should get a few starts off and allowed to regenerate his head and arm strength. his fastball has been way down. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from mikeyinthebronx. Show mikeyinthebronx's posts

Got to feel for Lackey and his family.  Obviously the off the field stuff is affecting him on the field and nobody can fault him for that.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

THis is why the bitter, personal attacks that some posters make when a player like him struggles is pathetic. Players are human beings. I can only imagine what he's going through.

Yes, it's OK to criticize and be upset when high-paid players struggle. But the bitter attacks some post -- when they're the ones who should r ... I'll refrain from finishing this though.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from agarbari. Show agarbari's posts

The problem is the salaries that these players make and the perfection that fans expect that goes with those salaries which I have been guilty of as well. We forget that they are human. The team should DL Lackey and let him be with his wife. That probably explains why he looked the way he did last week against the Angels. I have never thought that he was the most talented pitcher but he is a good competitor when I have watched him in the past.
    Maybe in that way they can bring up a Dubrount from the minor leagues who can help the Red Sox. My prayers are with you Jon Lackey.

[QUOTE]THis is why the bitter, personal attacks that some posters make when a player like him struggles is pathetic. Players are human beings. I can only imagine what he's going through. Yes, it's OK to criticize and be upset when high-paid players struggle. But the bitter attacks some post -- when they're the ones who should r ... I'll refrain from finishing this though.
    Posted by royf19[/QUOTE]

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

<Content removed out of respect for the Lackey family>

My thoughts and prayers go out to his wife.

<Content removed out of respect for the Lackey family>

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

[QUOTE]Obviously this is terrible news, but I'm not buying this as an excuse.  I'm sorry, but his wife was diagnosed back in November, not the beginning of May when he started to suck again.  He had a great 3 start stretch 4/19 - 4/30, what's changed since then?  It's worth noting that those games were all against the AL West, who he's familiar with, but this current bad streak started against the AL West as well. My thoughts and prayers go out to his wife, but Lackey's results don't reflect that being the cause.
    Posted by JB-3[/QUOTE]

The time of diagnosis is hardly relevant. It just allows for more time to weigh on his mind. I expected better from you.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hammah29r2. Show Hammah29r2's posts

JB-3.........I guess that the word compassion isn't something that you've ever heard of eh? by your tone I would say that you have lead a very happy and healthy life for the most part including your family.

I hope and pray that you never have to deal with a loved one or yourself being diagnosed with cancer. it's not something that is easily dealt with. I survived it back in 04 and my family was a total wreck and I'm not a professional athlete. I lost my sister to lung cancer back in 06 and we are still not over that. If you think that Lackey's head is totally focused on pitching knowing his wife is battling for her life, then I've got a bridge to sell you in brooklyn cheap.

believe it or not son, even professional athletes are people and have to deal with the same stuff that we simple fans deal with. look what happened to J.D. Drew when his little boy was in the hospital........baseball is fun but life is real.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

Sorry for UR loss, HAMMAH. I can relate.

We're better off for your surviving that ordeal. May UR faith be strong.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hammah29r2. Show Hammah29r2's posts

Sorry for UR loss, HAMMAH. I can relate.

We're better off for your surviving that ordeal. May UR faith be strong.

thanks harness. I appreciate that man. we're holding it together. although we did lose my dad about a month ago. hey, he was 88. my sister was only 53 and it was pretty tough watching her the last month. fkn butts.........pretty horrible way to die bro........pretty horrible way to die.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

It's pure hell, HAMMAH. The torture of watching one disintegrate is unparalleled.
    The medical field has made in-roads, but it's David vs. Goliath.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

The number one Lackey basher has been silent for once.

Not a peep from the absurd clown.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

[QUOTE]THis is why the bitter, personal attacks that some posters make when a player like him struggles is pathetic. Players are human beings. I can only imagine what he's going through. Yes, it's OK to criticize and be upset when high-paid players struggle. But the bitter attacks some post -- when they're the ones who should r ... I'll refrain from finishing this though.
    Posted by royf19[/QUOTE]
    Couldn't have said it better myself, Roy.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from chuchos. Show chuchos's posts

[QUOTE]Obviously this is terrible news, but I'm not buying this as an excuse.  I'm sorry, but his wife was diagnosed back in November, not the beginning of May when he started to suck again.  He had a great 3 start stretch 4/19 - 4/30, what's changed since then?  It's worth noting that those games were all against the AL West, who he's familiar with, but this current bad streak started against the AL West as well. My thoughts and prayers go out to his wife, but Lackey's results don't reflect that being the cause.
    Posted by JB-3[/QUOTE]

I was unaware that time heals cancer and the anguish of family and friends.  Thank you for this breakthrough.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Lackey's wife battling Cancer : The time of diagnosis is hardly relevant. It just allows for more time to weigh on his mind. I expected better from you.
    Posted by harness[/QUOTE]

I have dealt with a loved one being diagnosed with cancer and yes it sucks.  My point is that it's always weighing on your mind, not just sometimes.  More power to him if he was able to forget about it for a couple weeks during that great stretch that he had, but it isn't something you can simply put out of mind.  There is something else impacting his performance in addition to the problems in his family life.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Lackey's wife battling Cancer : I was unaware that time heals cancer and the anguish of family and friends.  Thank you for this breakthrough.
    Posted by chuchos[/QUOTE]
    Did you actually read what I said?  I actually said that it doesn't and that because it doesn't there must be something else going on.  Clearly he was able to pitch well with this going on, and now he is struggling again.  If he had said that things had taken a turn in her treatment, then that would make perfect sense, but he said that everything is the same as it has been.  Maybe he just doesn't want to get into it and talk about things getting worse (hopefully things are improving of course) we have no way of knowing.  For all we know, maybe she started doing better before that stretch of good, focused pitching.  My point is that there are other things at work here and he probably isn't in any state to address them properly due to time demands of his family, who should obviously come first before a game.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Posted by JB-3[/QUOTE]

JB, first i want to say that since ive been posting here Ive enjoyed reading most of your posts. This is not one of them.. Im sorry you feel that way. Obviously youve never gone through this. November is only 6 months ago..Thats not a long time when talking about cancer..His wife could be fine one day, and the next....And hes 3000 miles away..Thats got to be killing him..My prayers go out to your wife John Lackey and yourself..

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

Guys lets not let this turn into a thread like the September 11, 2001 remembrance thread or countless others - where a simple point is too be made, and if you do not agree you should not come here to sell your opinions. Cancer is cancer, regardless of John Lackey's performances in 2010 - its impossible for his wife's illness to not be compounding his head and heart in the most dire way.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from southwestsox. Show southwestsox's posts

Theo should put Lackey on DL and bring up Duckworth, Miller or Dubront. It would be best to do right by the player now, and let him tend to his family. The Lackeys I believe also lost a child either last year or the year before. 

Gotta do the right thing..

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

It appears Krista Clark Lackey is from Maine, and went to U.N.H - just like my sister.... interesting local connection.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

[QUOTE]Guys lets not let this turn into a thread like the September 11, 2001 remembrance thread or countless others - where a simple point is too be made, and if you do not agree you should not come here to sell your opinions. Cancer is cancer, regardless of John Lackey's performances in 2010 - its impossible for his wife's illness to not be compounding his head and heart in the most dire way.
    Posted by BurritoT[/QUOTE]

I agree that it's having an impact.  All I'm saying is that it isn't the only cause of his struggles.