Lackey's wife battling Cancer

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ampoule. Show ampoule's posts

Re: Lackey's wife battling Cancer

My prayers go out to the Lackey's.

I'm astounded by some of the disgusting, insensitive posts.  It almost makes me feel ashamed that some Sox fans behave this way.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

Thats the point JB (as you are probably right) but a thread about his wife having cancer is not the place to bring that up is it?  

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

In Response to Re: Lackey's wife battling Cancer:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Lackey's wife battling Cancer : JB, first i want to say that since ive been posting here Ive enjoyed reading most of your posts. This is not one of them.. Im sorry you feel that way. Obviously youve never gone through this. November is only 6 months ago..Thats not a long time when talking about cancer..His wife could be fine one day, and the next....And hes 3000 miles away..Thats got to be killing him..My prayers go out to your wife John Lackey and yourself..
    Posted by southpaw777[/QUOTE]

I'm glad that you've enjoyed my posts, I like to take an objective view of situations and get to root causes, which is exactly what I'm doing here.  If you must know, my grandfather was diagnosed with Bladder cancer in the summer of 2009.  I was out of the state for an internship at the time and couldn't see him.  I'm not pretending to know exactly what Lackey is going through, it sure as hell wasn't 3000 miles of distance and it's impossible to say how bad Lackey's wife's cancer is in comparison to my grandfathers.  All I'm saying is that were the cancer his only problem this season, then he would have been consistently bad.  Instead he has been streaky, with 2 poor starts followed by 3 great ones, followed by a new slump.  We don't have any insight into what was going on in his personal life during that hot streak, all that we know is that nothing has really changed (according to what Lackey was willing to discuss with the media).  If nothing has truly changed, then there is another issue that Lackey needs to work through, be it mechanical or conditioning related, which problem stems from spending more time with his family (as he should).

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

[QUOTE]Thats the point JB (as you are probably right) but a thread about his wife having cancer is not the place to bring that up is it?  
    Posted by BurritoT[/QUOTE]

You are right.  That's really all there is to it.  I just have some trouble feeling respectful of a guy who has broken certain other codes of baseball which I will not mention here so as to preserve this thread.

Naturally, thoughts and prayers are with the Lackey's in these difficult times.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

Its okay to start another thread on the matter - this one is specifically on Cancer.  Jerry Callahan on WEEI suggested the same thing you are, and I already agree - but this is not the place for that point to be made.

Chow.

Get well Krista - 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Goofywocky. Show Goofywocky's posts

John needs to take family leave.

Jon Lester sees the silver lining in his cancer battle – without it, he wouldn’t have met the love of his life. Lester, diagnosed withe lymphoma four years ago, recounts his struggle to beat cancer and return to the big leagues in an interview with  Michael Holley in the Improper Bostonian magazine. Lester met his future wife, Farrah Johnson, while rehabbing with the Greenville Drive inSouth Carolina after completing chemotherapy. “If there had been no cancer, there would’ve been no rehab, no going to Greenville,” Holley writes. “The Lesters see it as part of God’s plan.” Lester met his bride, anursing, at a place called Sharkeys Pub in Greenville. He was attracted to her Southern accent. For her part, Farrah liked that he didn’t tell her about the disease that sent him back to the minors. He said he wanted her to like him for who he was, not what he did.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

[QUOTE]Its okay to start another thread on the matter - this one is specifically on Cancer.  Jerry Callahan on WEEI suggested the same thing you are, and I already agree - but this is not the place for that point to be made. Chow. Get well Krista - 
    Posted by BurritoT[/QUOTE]

If you want me to remove/edit my original comment, just say the word.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Lackey's wife battling Cancer : I agree that it's having an impact.  All I'm saying is that it isn't the only cause of his struggles.  
    Posted by JB-3[/QUOTE]

WE get that, JB. I just think you should have worded it differently.
    Pitching involves incredible concentration. And that has to be challenging for him at this point.
    What you see as a physical issue can easily be the result of carrying this burden.
    Everybody is different. They handle things differently. Lackey is emotionally driven. Keep that in mind.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Girardi-Inept. Show Girardi-Inept's posts

Jb-3 is an intern? How is your bedside manner. Is it any better than your conduct on this thread?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

[QUOTE]Jb-3 is an intern? How is your bedside manner. Is it any better than your conduct on this thread?
    Posted by Girardi-Inept[/QUOTE]

It's a hell of a lot better than your contributions on this board.  Perhaps you should familiarize yourself with what being an intern can mean, and then factor in the year that I said I interned.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from hcp. Show hcp's posts

Unless you've experienced it, no one knows what goes inside your head when a loved one is diagosed with C. My prayers to the Lackeys. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Lackey's wife battling Cancer : WE get that, JB. I just think you should have worded it differently. Pitching involves incredible concentration. And that has to be challenging for him at this point. What you see as a physical issue can easily be the result of carrying this burden. Everybody is different. They handle things differently. Lackey is emotionally driven. Keep that in mind.
    Posted by harness[/QUOTE]

I agree that it was worded very poorly and that this was not the place for it.  I get that.

That being said, by comments about it not being the only cause of his struggles were not directed at you or Burrito, rather at the posters who are saying that all of Lackey's struggles should be excused because of this, which is a gross over-simplification of the situation.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from RSFAN2. Show RSFAN2's posts

In Response to Lackey's wife battling Cancer:
    [QUOTE]John Lackey told reporters Monday that he spent most of the offseason in California because his wife, Krista, was being treated for breast cancer: Later, Lackey explained to WEEI.com that the “treatment” Krista Lackey was undergoing throughout the offseason was to combat breast cancer, which the Red Sox’ pitcher’s wife was diagnosed with just prior to Thanksgiving. Lackey, who was wearing a pink “Power Balance” bracelet on his left wrist as a way to further breast cancer awareness, explained that Krista “was doing really good,” and the University of New Hampshire graduate had caught the disease at a very early stage. Krista Lackey is a lifelong Red Sox fan who moved from Maine to Huntington Beach www.fosters.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20091224/GJSPORTS03/712239744/-1/sannews01 " target="_blank" /> after college . She married Lackey in 2008.
    Posted by Babe-Ted[/QUOTE]
    Good classy post. Thank you Babe-Ted for posting this. Well done. After all he's just a man with a high paying JOB...going through the struggles of life just like the rest of us. So all you Lackey bashers take a back seat. There are plenty of other Red sox players you can bash if you feel the need to.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Lackey's wife battling Cancer : WTH does being an intern have to do with this pike? different name, same game.
    Posted by J-BAY[/QUOTE]
    Just to set things straight, I would like to state that I am not an intern anymore.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Lackey's wife battling Cancer : I agree that it was worded very poorly and that this was not the place for it.  I get that. That being said, by comments about it not being the only cause of his struggles were not directed at you or Burrito, rather at the posters who are saying that all of Lackey's struggles should be excused because of this, which is a gross over-simplification of the situation.
    Posted by JB-3[/QUOTE]

Then those comments should be on other threads bashing Lackey. Because they don't exist here. You have many choices of Lackey-bashing threads.
    This one acknowledges what both Lackey and his wife are challenged with.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

OK...... Now I feel like a real jerk!  Been doggin the guy pretty good :(

I agree...  Give the guy some R & R so he can take care of his wife & get his head together!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

Having said that.....  Don't JUST play on our sympathies!  Of course we all feel bad for the guy NOW!  BUT..... If he doesn't have it together, give him some time!!!!    If that's what he needs????  I would think he does!  But don't say.... Well we're gonna cart a guy out there every 5 & the guys just need to suck it up because he's not all there!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Girardi-Inept. Show Girardi-Inept's posts

There is no need for me to address the J-Bay curious comment since it appears that he deleted his original post since he was ahamed of it.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sean67. Show Sean67's posts

Lackey is pitching poorly.  If he's not up to pitching, the Red Sox need to do something.  Lackey's performance level cannot be tolerated.  He's human and if he can't do the job, he can't do the job------but Boston doesn't 'hafta' keep sending a man ill equipped to deal with his current situation out to the mound.  No ill feelings towards LACKEY, it's just that Boston needs better and John shouldn't be out there if he can't perform.  People are trying to validate/ invalidate the wife's health as a contributing problem to Lackey's mound woes--------I say for get it.  Let's assume it's contributing.  Anyone questioning the validity because Lackey's performances have been up and down should probably consider that every new day brings different moods and concerns.  One day the wife says she feels good, the next day she feels sick and is frightened.... it's EASY to see how Lackey could be torn up inside to diffferent degrees DAILY.  It's best not to pretend we know how he should be acting.  Boston, however, needs someone to give them better starts every 5th day than John Lackey has to date.  Management is responsible for handling that and I reserve the right to be critical of management---no offense to Lackey--if they aren't sending a better prepared, focused pitcher out there than what we've seen. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

[QUOTE]There is no need for me to address the J-Bay curious comment since it appears that he deleted his original post since he was ahamed of it.
    Posted by Girardi-Inept[/QUOTE]

actually PIKE, who is also the original poster, i went to edit it and deleted it by mistake. since it was copied in the reply, didnt need to repost it, but thanks for bringing attention to it. girardi-inept....yankee fan you said PIKE?? what's curious is your comment, which had nothing to do with the conversation.....as usual

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

Being the cynical b@$tard that I can sometimes be........  I have this nagging side of me that's saying................. "why are they telling us this now?"  & for WHAT reason?  Just to back off???  OK!  I WILL!  BUT, is that what's best for this struggling team?  Just suck it up every 5 days???  If he's not right?  I'd rather have somebody from AAA!  KC's AAA pitchers look pretty impressive!

I REALLY do feel for Lackey, but it's just not fair to the team......

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

[QUOTE]Having said that.....  Don't JUST play on our sympathies!  Of course we all feel bad for the guy NOW!  BUT..... If he doesn't have it together, give him some time!!!!    If that's what he needs????  I would think he does!  But don't say.... Well we're gonna cart a guy out there every 5 & the guys just need to suck it up because he's not all there!
    Posted by redsoxdirtdog[/QUOTE]

I'm sure he would benefit from having some time, but it's a slippery slope.  As many have pointed out, recovering from cancer isn't a quick process.  How much time does he need?  Does 15 days even make a difference? 30 days? 6 months (rest of season)? What happens down the road when an important player has a family member diagnosed with cancer (not spouse but other family member)?  If there is any change in her condition, I'm sure the Sox will place him on the bereavement list and let him go be with his wife without a second thought.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

[QUOTE]This article is from February 14.  
    Posted by slomag[/QUOTE]

Good catch, I didn't see that.  Last night after the game he said that pretty much everything in his life sucks right now, I assumed this came out following his interview after yesterday's game.  Hopefully he was referring to something else in his life, although I kind of doubt that....

If things are getting worse, he should certainly be sent away from the club to go be with his wife and family.  It is on him however to let management know that he is dealing with this and with Lackey I don't think that it's a given that he would have informed them.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

what i was going to add......i've been following the discusion. I think JBs comments were somewhat misinterpreted due to the emotion cancer carries. from what i remember, initially the lackeys said the cancer was caught in the early stages and the prognosis was excellent. i hope thats still the case. that said, if lackey needed or wanted time off, there's not a doubt in my mind the red sox organization would not only grant it but insist on it. they werent named the best organization in sports for nothing. 

all the best to the lackeys

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

Any decision on Lackey will be based on his mound results. If he can't right the ship, the team will act accordingly. I'm sure they will take into account his issues and deal with it appropriately.

Sections
Shortcuts