Lackey's wife battling Cancer

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

Re: Lackey's wife battling Cancer

Yeah, no doubt. I've tried to defend him somewhat, but have to confess that I've expressed aggravation towards him at times too. I did last night about his mental toughness and focus. It makes more sense now. I know I for one would have serious trouble focusing on getting MLB hitters out if I had my wife's life on my mind. Did you all watch the interview that is posted on NESN.com? It really does put a human face on things. I felt bad for him even before the whole cancer thing was mentioned. If the guy is struggling, it sure isn't because he's not busting his butt to do his best. That's all we can ask of a team. Annoyed as we get about all this, if the guys are doing their best and coming up short, you can't fault them. There's no doubt that Lackey is not himself mentally, now we may know why, but the question remains: How do we deal with it in a way that will allow the team to win?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

JB I wouldn't ask you to remove anything - just telling you that  statement could turn this thread into a battleground, which is not a good thing in this case.  

Go Red Sox!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

In Response to Re: Lackey's wife battling Cancer:
    [QUOTE]JB I wouldn't ask you to remove anything - just telling you that  statement could turn this thread into a battleground, which is not a good thing in this case.   Go Red Sox!
    Posted by BurritoT[/QUOTE]

You know I certainly don't try to cause trouble on here.  And while battlegrounds can certainly be fun and very informative (if handled properly) I agree that this certainly isn't the place for it.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Guvnor. Show Guvnor's posts

when john lackey said after wednesdays game that "everything in my like ***** right now" it revealed the state of mind of a man who simply is not mentally fit to carry his job out as he does under the spotlight and under pressure.

the fact is that whilst he is having to deal with this situation, and its tough, he still has financial security, a roof over him and his family's head, and money to pay the bills and anything else.....there are lots of people dealing with similar situations but in far worse financial condition tha brings added pressure and stress. 

So, John Lackey, take time off from baseball, foresake your salary for the minimum over this period of absence, look after your wife as required and come back when you are ready to play professional ball to the best of your ability with a clear head, and to be an effective team mate, not taking ou your frustrations on outfilders or the like.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

I don't think it matters when she was diagnosed, or even if he she is "recovering" or doing better. The fact remains she has the worst type of disease known to mankind and it's ridiculous to think that anybody can work at their job, Lackey's being a MLB pitcher, and not bring all the personal anguish to work. We all do it. It's why people lash out at people and why sometimes people make irrational decisions at their jobs. You bring your home situation to work. So, like I said earlier, it's time to let John be home with his wife and be a caretaker and be a real husband for a continued stretch, even if it's 2 months. The Sox will live, so will his spot in the starting rotation upon his return. I hope Mr. Lackey knows fans care about players. If it's a Sox in pain, we fans care and we will pull for you.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mtrax. Show mtrax's posts

Why did Lackey pitch so poorly last year?
    This is the 4th year in a row that his WHIP has increased and his BB:K ratio has worsened.
    He has only won 15 games 1 time in his career. He was never a top pitcher and now he is just dreadful.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from chuchos. Show chuchos's posts

In Response to Re: Lackey's wife battling Cancer:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Lackey's wife battling Cancer : Did you actually read what I said?  I actually said that it doesn't and that because it doesn't there must be something else going on.  Clearly he was able to pitch well with this going on, and now he is struggling again.  If he had said that things had taken a turn in her treatment, then that would make perfect sense, but he said that everything is the same as it has been.  Maybe he just doesn't want to get into it and talk about things getting worse (hopefully things are improving of course) we have no way of knowing.  For all we know, maybe she started doing better before that stretch of good, focused pitching.  My point is that there are other things at work here and he probably isn't in any state to address them properly due to time demands of his family, who should obviously come first before a game.
    Posted by JB-3[/QUOTE]
    Of course I read what you said before you deleted it.  That was November and this is May and he had a few good starts in between so something else is up. And since it didn't affect him for those few good starts he must be ok with that part and whatever else is at issue has taken hold.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from losmediasrojas. Show losmediasrojas's posts

I have a friend and coworker whose wife is going through her second bout with cancer.  I've been there before myself in support of family members.  It's grueling.  In this light, it's time to refrain from making any comments or judgements about John Lackey's gestures towards teammates on the field.  If his teammates sense it, they will let it all go and just relate to him as a troubled man at this juncture.  We should let it go too and trust management to handle a personal matter appropriately. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

Beautifully put.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

I just found out about Lackey's wife tonight. Both my brother and my mom battled cancer. I certainly understand the anguish he must be going through. When you first hear the diagnosis many of us immediately can't help but think they are not going to make it. Growing up it seemed that most people died when diagnosed with Cancer. Now the prognosis is much better and there is a lot more hope.

All that said, Lackey has no where near the stuff he had even last year and his control is not what it was and his bulldog attitude doesn't seem to be there either. I'm sorry for him and his family but he needs to leave the rotation asap. His fastball is coming in at 88 mph and it's often right out there over the plate. He is going to keep getting shelled and we cannot keep throwing him out there with that stuff and lack of control. We need another solution. If he were pitching in this up coming series would we have any reason to expect a good outing? He needs to go on the DL or something. I feel bad for him and his family but the team needs to move on. I would support him being allowed to go back to live with his wife through this and hopefully do the weight training and such he probably missed earlier in the year. He needs his stuff back, hopefully before the playoffs. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

I would guess the team offered him an open-ended opportunity to take a leave of absence, and perhaps he declined.  I cannot believe they wouldn't.

Oswalt took time off just to help people (family) in Mississippi, he even ended up on the DL, perhaps from picking up debris.

Gotta think its John's call here.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from majorleague. Show majorleague's posts

Playing the cancer card is simply not honest. No one knows the details of it, nor should they. If Lackey has head problems, he needs to take a long bereavement leave of absence. What he's been doing and not doing for over a year is tantamount to unprofessional stealing.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

Yeah right. He should lie and say everything's jake...

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from majorleague. Show majorleague's posts

Who on earth, at this moment, decided to inject Lackey's wife's cancer over his embarrassing performance for over a year?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

Who on earth kept it in for 6 months?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from majorleague. Show majorleague's posts

No, who decided to inject it into the Red Sox disscusions of his horrible performance?