Ladies & Gentlemen, Boys & Girls, All eyes will be on the "TEXAS TOUGH GUY, BECKETT$" TONIGHT......

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

Ladies & Gentlemen, Boys & Girls, All eyes will be on the "TEXAS TOUGH GUY, BECKETT$" TONIGHT......

WOW, does Wednesday night T V get any better ??????????

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

Re: Ladies & Gentlemen, Boys & Girls, All eyes will be on the "TEXAS TOUGH GUY BECKETT$" TONIGHT......

Give me 5 more William, 5 more!

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

Re: Ladies & Gentlemen, Boys & Girls, All eyes will be on the "TEXAS TOUGH GUY, BECKETT$" TONIGHT......

lol. ENTERTAINING

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Iceman4. Show Iceman4's posts

Re: Ladies & Gentlemen, Boys & Girls, All eyes will be on the "TEXAS TOUGH GUY, BECKETT$" TONIGHT......

come on Bill...........your posts are getting overdone...
    offer up some constructive advice...

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

In Response to Re: Ladies & Gentlemen, Boys & Girls, All eyes will be on the "TEXAS TOUGH GUY, BECKETT$" TONIGHT......:
    [QUOTE]come on Bill...........your posts are getting overdone... offer up some constructive advice...
    Posted by Iceman4[/QUOTE]Constructive ???? I thought the begining of this thread did just that ???  It gives Ben C. a "BLUEPRINT" to fix this "DYSFUNCTIONAL" team !!!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from MichFan. Show MichFan's posts

God, I hope Beckett throws a no no..

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Big game, all right.  But so were Doubront's and Buchholz's and the other starters games.  4 games out of the wild card and 9 1/2 back of the Yankees, after game is big. 

Take a page from Hernandez's book last night and throw inside a lot?  He nailed three Yankees--ARod, Jeter, and Ichiro--and won the game, 4-2.  The Rangers almost certainly would retaliate, but maybe this is what the Sox need when Beckett is starting. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from soups. Show soups's posts

Over-under on Beckett's runs in the 1st?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

The Beckett loyalists are busy searching the archives , looking for more ways to defend him when he gets predictably lit up tonight.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

wakefield the analyst says Slosh LOVES pitching in Texas and is going to step up his game...

hmmmm - really..

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

In Response to Re: Ladies & Gentlemen, Boys & Girls, All eyes will be on the "TEXAS TOUGH GUY, BECKETT$" TONIGHT......:
    [QUOTE]wakefield the analyst says Slosh LOVES pitching in Texas and is going to step up his game... hmmmm - really..
    Posted by georom4[/QUOTE]

Slosh, that's pretty funny! 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

Slosh Buckett

if the shoe fits..

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ANONMD08. Show ANONMD08's posts

[QUOTE]Over-under on Beckett's runs in the 1st?
    Posted by soups[/QUOTE]

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

[QUOTE]The Beckett loyalists are busy searching the archives , looking for more ways to defend him when he gets predictably lit up tonight.
    Posted by dgalehouse[/QUOTE]

and the beckett haters will be busy looking up useless stats to try to dump on beckett after he shuts down the rangers tonight..

your pathetic

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Ladies & Gentlemen, Boys & Girls, All eyes will be on the "TEXAS TOUGH GUY, BECKETT$" TONIGHT...... : and the beckett haters will be busy looking up useless stats to try to dump on beckett after he shuts down the rangers tonight.. your pathetic
    Posted by mef429[/QUOTE]
    No. You are pathetic , with your fan boy love for Beckett.  Useless stats like wins and losses and ERA. Useless stats that have been used forever to evaluate pitchers.  Yeah, right.  Keep paying your dues in the Beckett fan club. And , keep showing your immaturity by insulting other posters.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Ladies & Gentlemen, Boys & Girls, All eyes will be on the "TEXAS TOUGH GUY, BECKETT$" TONIGHT...... : No. You are pathetic , with your fan boy love for Beckett.  Useless stats like wins and losses and ERA. Useless stats that have been used forever to evaluate pitchers.  Yeah, right.  Keep paying your dues in the Beckett fan club. And , keep showing your immaturity by insulting other posters.

win/loss stats for pitchers IS useless.. a pitcher can throw a no hitter and still get the loss while another pitcher can let up 20 runs and get the win... thats such an accurate representation of a pitchers ability!!

ERA isn't as useless but it is in smaller sample sizes.. ERA spanning 2+ years is an accurate way to gauge a pitcher, less than a season or a month is not.

most if not all analysts agree that wins for a pitcher is a useless stat, and that is reflected in Cy young voting (see felix hernandez). Also most analysts will agree that WHIP and opp BA give a better gauge of a pitcher than ERA ESPECIALLY in sample sizes that do not span a full season.

math may not be your strong suit so i can see why you might be apprehensive to use sabermetrics but its the 21st century..... get with the times

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Ladies & Gentlemen, Boys & Girls, All eyes will be on the "TEXAS TOUGH GUY, BECKETT$" TONIGHT...... : No. You are pathetic , with your fan boy love for Beckett.  Useless stats like wins and losses and ERA. Useless stats that have been used forever to evaluate pitchers.  Yeah, right.  Keep paying your dues in the Beckett fan club. And , keep showing your immaturity by insulting other posters.

im not in the beckett fan club... i am in the red sox fan club.. I don't harp on any players (except punto) especially ones who have played good.. people just bash beckett so much i find myself defending him more than other players.. you could bash almost every player and i would fight tooth and nail to defend them (especially if the opinions and numbers don't match up).. they're all in the same boat. the only player i like better than the rest is ellsbury.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Ladies & Gentlemen, Boys & Girls, All eyes will be on the "TEXAS TOUGH GUY, BECKETT$" TONIGHT...... : win/loss stats for pitchers IS useless.. a pitcher can throw a no hitter and still get the loss while another pitcher can let up 20 runs and get the win... thats such an accurate representation of a pitchers ability!! ERA isn't as useless but it is in smaller sample sizes.. ERA spanning 2+ years is an accurate way to gauge a pitcher, less than a season or a month is not. most if not all analysts agree that wins for a pitcher is a useless stat, and that is reflected in Cy young voting (see felix hernandez). Also most analysts will agree that WHIP and opp BA give a better gauge of a pitcher than ERA ESPECIALLY in sample sizes that do not span a full season. math may not be your strong suit so i can see why you might be apprehensive to use sabermetrics but its the 21st century..... get with the times
    Posted by mef429[/QUOTE]
    " your pathetic "  It should be " you're pathetic."  I guess English is not your strong suit. Citing  WHIP and opponents batting average is redundant, since they both reflect the same thing, with walks added to WHIP.  The object in baseball is to win the game. Therefore , wins and losses are what matters in the end.  ERA is still the most important stat for a starter. A pitcher's ERA is greatly affected by their WHIP, along with how many of the hits were for extra bases. When you combine ERA and won / loss record , you get a pretty good picture of a starter's effectiveness. Sabermetrics can also be looked at , of course. Just watching Josh pitch , it is apparent that he does not have the stuff that he used to.  No matter what happens though , you will never admit it. By the way , I don't hate any of the Sox' players. I just want to see the team win.  By the way , you really need to get over your habit of being insulting to other posters.  It does nothing to help your argument.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Ladies & Gentlemen, Boys & Girls, All eyes will be on the "TEXAS TOUGH GUY, BECKETT$" TONIGHT...... : " your pathetic "  It should be " you're pathetic."  I guess English is not your strong suit. Citing  WHIP and opponents batting average is redundant, since they both reflect the same thing, with walks added to WHIP.  The object in baseball is to win the game. Therefore , wins and losses are what matters in the end.  ERA is still the most important stat for a starter. A pitcher's ERA is greatly affected by their WHIP, along with how many of the hits were for extra bases. When you combine ERA and won / loss record , you get a pretty good picture of a starter's effectiveness. Sabermetrics can also be looked at , of course. Just watching Josh pitch , it is apparent that he does not have the stuff that he used to.  No matter what happens though , you will never admit it. By the way , I don't hate any of the Sox' players. I just want to see the team win.  By the way , you really need to get over your habit of being insulting to other posters.  It does nothing to help your argument.

good observation, the object of baseball IS to win the game... but it is also a TEAM sport. you can't win if you don't score and you also can't win if you let up runs by the boatload. to assign a pitcher the win or loss is dumb because it depends completely on how the rest of the team performs.. cliff lees record is what? but his ERA is around his career norm. based on your methods this means he is having a lackluster season because of the lack of wins? but why?? its not his fault he doesn't get run support..

your right, beckett clearly isn't the ace he used to be. he's lost a couple MPH on his fastball  BUT he is going deeper into starts and still getting strikeouts without overpowering guys. yes the loss of velocity is a bummer but if that means he can give you 7-8 innings most of the times he takes the mound AND can still get the strikeouts... then so be it.

the difference between you and I is that you focus on the bad and i focus on the good.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Ladies & Gentlemen, Boys & Girls, All eyes will be on the "TEXAS TOUGH GUY, BECKETT$" TONIGHT...... : good observation, the object of baseball IS to win the game... but it is also a TEAM sport. you can't win if you don't score and you also can't win if you let up runs by the boatload. to assign a pitcher the win or loss is dumb because it depends completely on how the rest of the team performs.. cliff lees record is what? but his ERA is around his career norm. based on your methods this means he is having a lackluster season because of the lack of wins? but why?? its not his fault he doesn't get run support.. your right, beckett clearly isn't the ace he used to be. he's lost a couple MPH on his fastball  BUT he is going deeper into starts and still getting strikeouts without overpowering guys. yes the loss of velocity is a bummer but if that means he can give you 7-8 innings most of the times he takes the mound AND can still get the strikeouts... then so be it. the difference between you and I is that you focus on the bad and i focus on the good.
    Posted by mef429[/QUOTE]
    Won loss record is important , but it can be deceiving. That is why you should look at won / loss in conjunction with ERA. That will give you a good picture. That is why Felix won the Cy Young despite a weak won / loss record. His ERA was fantastic. If both were bad , he would not have gotten one vote. His won / loss record was due to poor run support , a weak bullpen , or both.  Here is an example: Pitcher walks the bases loaded in the 1st , then gives up a grand slam. He then settles down and retires the next 18 batters. Leaves after 6 innings. His whip would be excellent, his opp. BA would be terrific , but his ERA would be 6.00.  The ERA would correctly show that he pitched poorly overall and probably cost his team the game.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Ladies & Gentlemen, Boys & Girls, All eyes will be on the "TEXAS TOUGH GUY, BECKETT$" TONIGHT...... : Won loss record is important , but it can be deceiving. That is why you should look at won / loss in conjunction with ERA. That will give you a good picture. That is why Felix won the Cy Young despite a weak won / loss record. His ERA was fantastic. If both were bad , he would not have gotten one vote. His won / loss record was due to poor run support , a weak bullpen , or both.  Here is an example: Pitcher walks the bases loaded in the 1st , then gives up a grand slam. He then settles down and retires the next 18 batters. Leaves after 6 innings. His whip would be excellent, his opp. BA would be terrific , but his ERA would be 6.00.  The ERA would correctly show that he pitched poorly overall and probably cost his team the game.

i see what your saying but i usually judge by most every pitching stat (the common ones) i don't even look at wins when gauging a pitcher. it means nothing in my eyes. wins and losses are gathered as a team. 1 person can not do it all(pats fans should know this well) so they should not credit any 1 person with a win/loss

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

He failed. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

[QUOTE]He failed. 
    Posted by ADG[/QUOTE]

exactly, this is a PASS/FAIL system and he failed today.  For the 7th time in 16 starts.  That's pretty bad.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

So Josh, how did it go last night, Son ??????   ( I know, we only scored 3 runs for you )