LaRouche for Kotchman Trade....why???

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

Re: LaRouche for Kotchman Trade....why???

awww Benny has awakened from his nap and he's all fresh and sassy....very cute

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

At the time I did prefer LaRouche over Kotchman, and actually thought his numbers might have been helped long term at Fenway.  But that was then and this is now....but considering I do think he is a good alternative to Napoli

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Schumpeters-Ghost. Show Schumpeters-Ghost's posts

Shouldn't we all wait at least another decade before evaluating this trade?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to Leftymcrighty's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Just a mystifying move then and in retrospect. Laroche is a plus fielder, so why pop gunner Kothchman?

Laroche hit a couple of homers in his short stay. He would have been cheaper at 1st base than Gonzalez. Irony is, he showed he could use the wall better in a couple of weeks, than AGon did in his whole stay here.

Remember when we were told that AGon would be worth 45-50 HRs going to left?

[/QUOTE]

No one ever said that.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

If I had a guess, I'd say Puke had something too do with it.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

My guess was that Theo absolutely stole LaRoche, then figured he could flip him for something more valuable than what he gave up.  So it ends up being Kotchman for two guys who have 33 career ABs combined.

So the series of trades were positive.  But what the whiners are missing, in their bid to blame BC for something that Theo did, is that trading for LaRoche never made any sense to begin with.  Trading for a FA to be, to sit him on the bench, is sure to result in some level of dissatisfaction.  And trading for a guy making as much as LaRoche did, only to have sit on the bench, made no sense either.

On paper, trading for LaRoche for two career minor leaguers looked great, but there was absolutely no fit for us.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to pinstripezac's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

who can forget

those fancy charts where they

had fenway overlapping petco field

[/QUOTE]

Those charts also showed quite a few being taken away from him being more of a line drive hitter.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to pinstripezac's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

who can forget

those fancy charts where they

had fenway overlapping petco field

[/QUOTE]

Those charts also showed quite a few being taken away from him being more of a line drive hitter.

[/QUOTE]

do those charts show him not giving a rats behind about winning or crying about the "ace" being left in a game too long?  good riddance...what a disaster....

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

In response to georom4's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I guess i could google it and get some answer but Im more interested in the varied opinions on BDC....

Adam was sent packing after a short stint....we traded two players fro him if i recall and he was hitting the cover off the ball....

but...

he was sent packing....I recall one game where it seemed that he was not liked/accepted by his new teammates...i forget the play or the game but i remember thinking the reaction to him was odd (because it was a hit i believe)...anyways the memory grows fuzzy.....it was obvious to me that he didnt fit well with the team....anyone else have more details or facts? 

and if that was indeed the case, what about his future prospects?

good stuff!

[/QUOTE]

The reason for the trade was the acquisition of VMART.  We traded for LaRoche, expecting him to play first everyday; however, this plan changed when we were able to steal VMART for practically nothing (Masterson has been very mediocre, and the other two prospects havent made the majors).

They said that LaRoche was too good to not play everyday and therefore flipped him for a lesser player, who they could justify using off the bench.

Unbelievably dumb!  WE have this player who is too good to come off the bench, so we are going to trade him straight up for a lesser player.  Really?  You couldnt get them to throw in a prospect?  Really? 

UGH!!  Thanks for the bad memories, G.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

In response to snakeoil123's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Laroche wanted to play every day. He made that known.  They got rid of him.

That's pretty much it.  I recall being a bit perturbed by the fact that they got rid of the guy just because he complained.

Although maybe the complaining aspect of it was just my perception.

[/QUOTE]

LaRoche has always been a legitimate starting 1B in the MLB.  If there is no place for him to play everyday here, he has more value to another team than he has to us....

....But the return was atrocious.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

In response to carnie's comment:
    [QUOTE]

That's one I never understood either. I guess maybe Theo thought we needed a better defender at 1B?

[/QUOTE]

No theo thought we needed more offense. When did we ever see Theo purposely start a season with defense in mind?

He always ran around scrambling in July/August for a SS, 1B, CF, that could catch the ball...

15. This post has been removed.

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Unbelievably dumb!  WE have this player who is too good to come off the bench, so we are going to trade him straight up for a lesser player.  Really?  You couldnt get them to throw in a prospect?  Really?

Lesser player, better contract.  2 months of letting LaRoche sit on the bench for $7M, or 1 year two months of Kotchman, at only $3M.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

I would take Kotchman for a year, we aren't going to the play-offs anyhow. By 2015 these renta-FA's will all be gone and I can be happy again.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to EnchiladaT's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I would take Kotchman for a year, we aren't going to the play-offs anyhow. By 2015 these renta-FA's will all be gone and I can be happy again.

[/QUOTE]

No, you won't.  There use to be posters in here complaining all the time, from 2003-2011.  I tried to explain to them that, if they weren't enjoying the Golden Age of Red Sox BB, that they weren't going to enjoy it when the Gilded Age was over.  The folks that were complaining in 2007, will be complaining in 2015.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

really? you bitched all spring about the new manager.... the rest of us had hope.

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to EnchiladaT's comment:
    [QUOTE]

really? you bitched all spring about the new manager.... the rest of us had hope.

[/QUOTE]

No, wrong again.  The only three things I responded to were-

1-When BV held a press conference to say that Doubront did not have an out pitch.  It was a stupid thing to say.

2-When he held a press conference to say that Bard was not throwing enough changeups.  My comment then was that, as manager of the team, it is BV's responsibility to tell Bard and the catcher how many changeups he should be throwing.

3-When Atchison was talking about how BV was stressing fundamentals and having the pitchers practicing bunting.  My comment then was to say it made no sense to have Atchison practice bunting.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

I was the one who bitched about him from day 1. I got crucified for it. "give him a chance." 

"Pedroia shouldn't say stuff like that."  "It's the players, the selfish players." 10 years removed from MLB. Wait until the team gets traded, and even then, let BV ruin young talent.

Pathetic manager, pathetic hiring, and a year of hell to watch a boring product the last 3 months of the year.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

On LaRoche, I remember all. 

Here's Theo

1. Number 1 goal to get AGON by 2012 pre-season

2. No intention to keep Beltre, none, no matter that he was a fan favorite and one of the best 3rd basemen in the game who loved hitting in Fenway.

3. Youks was going to play 3b even  though he had turned into a terrific defensive 1b. No intention to replace Youks cuz of his contract. Fast forward, and they couldn't get rid of him fast enough. 

4. Overpays for CC, overpays for Lackey, gives Beckett 50 mil extension for absolutely no reason at all, with no basis of performance behind it. 

.....LaRoche never had to be traded. If he sits on the Sox bench, who cares that he sits on the Sox bench. Injuries and other factors always seems to allow for guys to thrive, guys to get a ton of at bats. Happened with Reddick, happened with the OFs last year. If the fear factor is a guy sitting on a bench, if he's hitting the way LaRoche hit in his short stint, he NEVER GETS TO THE BENCH.

25. This post has been removed.