Larry and Ben

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from AL34. Show AL34's posts

Larry and Ben

Team showed some signs of life but still looks real bad. I wonder if Larry and Ben are still patting themselves on the back for last year. This is one of the biggest fiasco's of a team following a World Series Win that I have seen in a long time. The scary part is that at this time unless these rookies start to hit, that this is pretty much it for the rest of the year. I could see this team being lucky to win 80 games this year. No one is going to trade anything worth while unless you give up a ton of players, and after watching our rookies, I would be hesitant to deal with the Red Sox.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

Re: Larry and Ben

In response to AL34's comment:

Team showed some signs of life but still looks real bad. I wonder if Larry and Ben are still patting themselves on the back for last year. This is one of the biggest fiasco's of a team following a World Series Win that I have seen in a long time. The scary part is that at this time unless these rookies start to hit, that this is pretty much it for the rest of the year. I could see this team being lucky to win 80 games this year. No one is going to trade anything worth while unless you give up a ton of players, and after watching our rookies, I would be hesitant to deal with the Red Sox.

You know what? If I met Larry and Ben I would pat them on the back for last year too. Yes, this team stinks, but who could have predicted just how bad these guys are? I had them down for 81 wins and I am sticking to it.

WE ARE ALL JUST POPPYSEEDS IN THE BAKERY OF LIFE

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

Lots of baseball left to be played...they're currently 3 games back in the loss column...with more than 100 to play...

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxpride34. Show redsoxpride34's posts

the funny/sad thing is, many people saw this coming while ben/larry etc did not. When your outfield is already weak, and you lose your best outfielder and don’t replace him in any way, shape or form, and you rely on a 38 yr old dh and a strike out prone/low avg hitter like napoli to be your 3/4, then its going to be tough to score runs. Oh and lets not forget the grady sizemore signing which was supposed to make it look like they tried to do something to replace ellsbury. He has been a bust to say the least. Everyone except the FO realized that the team overachieved big time last year and had so much luck all at once which lead to them winning the ws. No way can you count on that again. And when you lose talent, you can’t just go cheap and expect results. Ellsbury was one of our top 3 players (pedroia and lester being the other 2) and we let him walk and did nothing. We went into the season with no leadoff hitter, no true #3 hitter, an outfield that consisted of a rookie who struggled to hit last year along with a wildcard who had not played in 2 years in addition to a platoon of mediocre flawed players who both had career years and were likely to regress and a guy who is constantly injured and is more known for his fielding than hitting. Whats happening right now is by no means a surprise and is purely the result of the FO taking the offseason off and ignoring the glaring needs of this team. If I were them, I would act fast and go big. We can’t afford to wait till the trade deadline as the way we are going, we will be out of it by then. Drew was a start, but they need to pull something much bigger off to revitalize the team and give it a chance to win games. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:

You know what? If I met Larry and Ben I would pat them on the back for last year too. Yes, this team stinks, but who could have predicted just how bad these guys are? I had them down for 81 wins and I am sticking to it.

I'm with you Pumps for the first part of your post anyway, at least in spirit, although I think both Larry and Ben would be more comfortable with a thank you and a handshake.  I would be more comfortable with that too, as a pat on the back is a bit condescending and might get you arrested.  

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Saluda. Show Saluda's posts

start with making the deal for power hitter Matt Kemp in CF(he's healthy, still young and probably available like he was this spring) to come over and smash up the Monster.. so disturbing that proven power hitters like Melky Cabrera and Alfonzo Soriano can be totally missed by the front office too 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

In response to Saluda's comment:

start with making the deal for power hitter Matt Kemp in CF(he's healthy, still young and probably available like he was this spring) to come over and smash up the Monster.. so disturbing that proven power hitters like Melky Cabrera and Alfonzo Soriano can be totally missed by the front office too 

They did just fine last year with the likes of Shane Victorino, Stephen Drew, Jonny Gomes, Koji Uehara, Mike Napoli, David Ross, etc.  Sometimes you can't duplicate the same or similar results of an experiment when the variables change.  

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

I would also pat them on the back.  Looking at what most of us were predicting from Middy (many saying he'd easily hit 30 HR's), XB (many predicting ROTY with 20 jacks, JBJ (all star CF'r hitting .260+, with 12 - 15 jacks), Sizemore easily hitting .275+ ( albeit part time, with 15+ HR's), Nava hitting .300 in his sleep, with 15 HR'S & 65+ rbi's, 2 # 2 starters & 3 # 3 starters.........   the list of predictions were made by the majority, & MOST were predicting 90 + wins.  It's been an epic collapse,  with every prediction coming up DEAD WRONG!   

NOT MANY OF US SAW THIS TYPE OF SYSTEMIC COLLAPSE COMING....   A This team has collapsed on a scale rarely seen in sports.  Absolutely stunning!  & not much can be done to turn things around....

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

In response to redsoxdirtdog's comment:

I would also pat them on the back.  Looking at what most of us were predicting from Middy (many saying he'd easily hit 30 HR's), XB (many predicting ROTY with 20 jacks, JBJ (all star CF'r hitting .260+, with 12 - 15 jacks), Sizemore easily hitting .275+ ( albeit part time, with 15+ HR's), Nava hitting .300 in his sleep, with 15 HR'S & 65+ rbi's, 2 # 2 starters & 3 # 3 starters.........   the list of predictions were made by the majority, & MOST were predicting 90 + wins.  It's been an epic collapse,  with every prediction coming up DEAD WRONG!   

NOT MANY OF US SAW THIS TYPE OF SYSTEMIC COLLAPSE COMING...A This team has collapsed on a scale rarely seen in sports.   .  Absolutely stunning!  & not much can be done to turn things around....

Cut the crap with the hyperbole, dirtdog.  Yes, prospects for the season don't look hopeful, and many players seem to be grossly underachieving, but to call this collapse "epic" is perhaps overstating the matter a bit, don't ya think?  Championship teams have intermittent hangover seasons all the time.  Actually, it's quite common.  Just look at the 2011 and 2013 San Francisco Giants, which includes one mediocre and one poor season following World Championship seasons, and so far, in 2014, they are off to a 29 and 18 start.  

Another way of looking at things is to view the Red Sox as grossly overachieving in 2014.  How many saw that one coming?  How many predictions were DEAD WRONG (as you say)?

You want to talk epic collapse?  Talk August/September 1978, Game 6 vs. the Mets in 1986, and September 2011.  Now these are some epic collapses, at least as far as sports go.  

This season?  Disappointing? Yes.  Epic?  Come on.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazy-world-of-troybrown. Show crazy-world-of-troybrown's posts

Baseball is a simple game, a team is only as good as its Pitching, and hitting when it counts, with good Defense. ( Remember Earl Weaver) Last year they did it. Lot of time still to find it.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from AL34. Show AL34's posts

In response to redsoxpride34's comment:

the funny/sad thing is, many people saw this coming while ben/larry etc did not. When your outfield is already weak, and you lose your best outfielder and don’t replace him in any way, shape or form, and you rely on a 38 yr old dh and a strike out prone/low avg hitter like napoli to be your 3/4, then its going to be tough to score runs. Oh and lets not forget the grady sizemore signing which was supposed to make it look like they tried to do something to replace ellsbury. He has been a bust to say the least. Everyone except the FO realized that the team overachieved big time last year and had so much luck all at once which lead to them winning the ws. No way can you count on that again. And when you lose talent, you can’t just go cheap and expect results. Ellsbury was one of our top 3 players (pedroia and lester being the other 2) and we let him walk and did nothing. We went into the season with no leadoff hitter, no true #3 hitter, an outfield that consisted of a rookie who struggled to hit last year along with a wildcard who had not played in 2 years in addition to a platoon of mediocre flawed players who both had career years and were likely to regress and a guy who is constantly injured and is more known for his fielding than hitting. Whats happening right now is by no means a surprise and is purely the result of the FO taking the offseason off and ignoring the glaring needs of this team. If I were them, I would act fast and go big. We can’t afford to wait till the trade deadline as the way we are going, we will be out of it by then. Drew was a start, but they need to pull something much bigger off to revitalize the team and give it a chance to win games. 

We'll said, agree completely, the joke is none of them realized that Daniel Nava had a fluke year completely.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

We'll said, agree completely, the joke is none of them realized that Daniel Nava had a fluke year completely.

[object HTMLDivElement]

So, because they don't win the WS every year, the years they DO win, don't really count?

The joke is you're just too miserable to enjoy last year.

The biggest perk that comes with the Sox winning is that you and your pals disappear.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

Oh ! management seen this coming.......Knowing what suckers boston fans are, They knew that seats would be sold and fenway would once again be filled. Bottom line is Sox had their year. Now  owners turn to rake in the money.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In response to donrd4's comment:

Oh ! management seen this coming.......Knowing what suckers boston fans are, They knew that seats would be sold and fenway would once again be filled. Bottom line is Sox had their year. Now  owners turn to rake in the money.

[object HTMLDivElement]

Yes, that's why they decided to shell out another $10 million for 4 months of Drew.

Penny-pinching at it's finest.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

Nava's "fluke year" is repeating itself vs RHP. The problem arises when he tries to hit from the right side of the plate. IMO he should do what Vic did: experiment with hitting only from the left side. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Well, perspective is everything.  One person's "Larry and Ben patting themselves on the back" is another's "Larry and Ben using the goodwill leverage of a WSC to take a longview approach and give the kids a shot".  Now, this strategy didn't sit well with some.  But, in any case, it was one that would require great patience as the kids work out their rookie issues.  At this juncture, the strategy is looking particularly ugly (in the short term), as Middlebrooks has flopped to being of more value injured than when he is on the field, and Jackie Bradley can't hit his way out of a paper bag (unless there are guys on base).  Yes, the club could have signed a couple overpaid vets to provide short-term help in this line-up.  But the strategy was to roll with the kids.  It wasn't resting on laurels.  It was deliberate.  And it doesn't look good right now.  But it is hardly 'patting themselves on the back'.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

Can we cut the crap that last year was a success because everyone overachieved. The fact is, everyone except Nava had basically a normal year. In fact, Pedey sort of underachieved in terms of power because of his wrist. 

The problem this year is most everyone is underachieving.

Fans are ripping the front office because the young kids haven't come through year and are saying it was stupid to go to the kids. How many of them would be blasting the front office twice as much iif they signed high-priced free agents who were stinking it up now. In fact, how many of the fans ripping the team for going with the kids are the same ones who ripped the front office for the Gonzalez contract, for the Crawford signing, for the Lackey signing, etc.

If the Sox signed players to keep Bogaerts and Bradley in the minors another year, how many of the critics now would be blasting them for leaving prospects in the minors too long.

There was nothing wrong with the strategy. Both Bradley and Bogaerts showed enough in the minors to earn the chance. Unfortunately, it's been a rough start, one that has been magnified because even the veterans have struggled in clutch situations.

And it's chic to rip the team for giving Middlebrooks a chance. But if the Sox didn't make the playoffs last year when he slumped, our last look at Middlebrooks is a guy who was very good in 2012 before he got hurt, struggled mightily at the beginning of last year but when he came back, showed improvement in the areas where he needed. Guys like that, especially RH power hitters, are going to get another shot by every team, so giving it to Middlebrooks was a given. And I don't know about the rest of you, but if I have a guy who showed potential to be a big power hitter, I'm sure a heck going to give him every chance to succeed.

Regardless if Middlebrooks pans out or not, the dumbest thing the Sox could do would have been to pull the plug on Middlebrooks too soon.

This has been a Murphy's Law season -- everything that could go wrong, has gone wrong. Or rather, the Sox have gotten few breaks. How many times have we seen runners on base and the batter hit a wicked liner up the middle that the pitcher makes a blind stab and come up with, or another line shot that a fielder makes a great play on. How many times have a batter in those situation ripped a ball that missed being a HR or off the wall by a foot or less.

So far, it's been one of those years -- no breaks on the field, rookies hitting bumps, veterans underachieving, something always seeming going wrong.

No, I didn't agree with everything that the team did in the offseason. I would have kept Salty and signed Beltran. Salty has a higher OPS and more HR but fewer RBIs than A.J. Beltran has just two more RBIs than Sizemore in a few more AB and has a higher OPS but still is batting just 14 points higher than Sizemore .234-.218. So who knows how much of a difference it would have been.

There's still a lot of season to be played, so who knows how things will go. Baseball is a strange game. Anyone who thinks they KNOW what's going to happen, KNOW when a team is out of it, KNOW when a team has it locked up, KNOW what player will succeed and what player won't is living in their own special delusional world.

Anyone with a little knowledge of the game knows how seasons can take sudden turns, players left for dead come to life, etc. And since the John Henry regime took over, they've consistently tried to put a championship team together. It doesn't mean they've always done smart things, but wondering if the front office is committed to winning is hardly a concern to me.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Javi60. Show Javi60's posts

In response to Beantowne's comment:

Lots of baseball left to be played...they're currently 3 games back in the loss column...with more than 100 to play...

Yes, a long time ahead...but where are the materials or inputs to produce a winner?...unless a rapid solid trade and some succesful farm upgrades, it will be a miracle to win 80 games...

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

You have to give Sox management credit for the past successes. But I think it is fair to say that they dropped the ball this off season. I have said that all along and I haven't seen anything to change my mind.  Obviously, there are limits to the spending. But we still have a high payroll. The money just has to be allocated correctly. We are paying Peavy 14.5 mil this year. Now we are paying Drew 10 mil for a partial season. That is 24.5 mil. That kind of money could acquire an impact player. In any case, it could be used better than spending it on two decent , but average veteran players.

Stabbed by Foulke.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Javi60. Show Javi60's posts

Magnificent post, let me add that I have been on the same trend since the winter offseason fiasco and posted many times even before season started... My how I was blasted by the pundits...

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In response to Javi60's comment:

Magnificent post, let me add that I have been on the same trend since the winter offseason fiasco and posted many times even before season started... My how I was blasted by the pundits...

[object HTMLDivElement]

In the interest of proper persepctive though - You weren't blasted because you took issue with the FO's low key approach to the off-season.  You were blasted because there is nothing more trite than blowing up the FO and offering nothing approaching specific alternatives and plausible scenarios in return.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In response to dgalehouse's comment:

You have to give Sox management credit for the past successes. But I think it is fair to say that they dropped the ball this off season. I have said that all along and I haven't seen anything to change my mind.  Obviously, there are limits to the spending. But we still have a high payroll. The money just has to be allocated correctly. We are paying Peavy 14.5 mil this year. Now we are paying Drew 10 mil for a partial season. That is 24.5 mil. That kind of money could acquire an impact player. In any case, it could be used better than spending it on two decent , but average veteran players.

Stabbed by Foulke.

You can't acquire an impact player for 24.5 million.

You can acquire an impact player for 24.5 million a year for 6-7 years, but that's a whole different story.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:

Stabbed by Foulke.

You can acquire an impact player for 24.5 million a year for 6-7 years, but that's a whole different story.

[object HTMLDivElement]

This.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:

Stabbed by Foulke.

Haha. Somebody posted last season that for what we were paying Gomes and Drew we could have had Anibal Sanchez...or something along those lines.

Very creative accounting.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

In response to royf19's comment:

Can we cut the crap that last year was a success because everyone overachieved. The fact is, everyone except Nava had basically a normal year. In fact, Pedey sort of underachieved in terms of power because of his wrist. 

The problem this year is most everyone is underachieving.

Fans are ripping the front office because the young kids haven't come through year and are saying it was stupid to go to the kids. How many of them would be blasting the front office twice as much iif they signed high-priced free agents who were stinking it up now. In fact, how many of the fans ripping the team for going with the kids are the same ones who ripped the front office for the Gonzalez contract, for the Crawford signing, for the Lackey signing, etc.

If the Sox signed players to keep Bogaerts and Bradley in the minors another year, how many of the critics now would be blasting them for leaving prospects in the minors too long.

There was nothing wrong with the strategy. Both Bradley and Bogaerts showed enough in the minors to earn the chance. Unfortunately, it's been a rough start, one that has been magnified because even the veterans have struggled in clutch situations.

And it's chic to rip the team for giving Middlebrooks a chance. But if the Sox didn't make the playoffs last year when he slumped, our last look at Middlebrooks is a guy who was very good in 2012 before he got hurt, struggled mightily at the beginning of last year but when he came back, showed improvement in the areas where he needed. Guys like that, especially RH power hitters, are going to get another shot by every team, so giving it to Middlebrooks was a given. And I don't know about the rest of you, but if I have a guy who showed potential to be a big power hitter, I'm sure a heck going to give him every chance to succeed.

Regardless if Middlebrooks pans out or not, the dumbest thing the Sox could do would have been to pull the plug on Middlebrooks too soon.

This has been a Murphy's Law season -- everything that could go wrong, has gone wrong. Or rather, the Sox have gotten few breaks. How many times have we seen runners on base and the batter hit a wicked liner up the middle that the pitcher makes a blind stab and come up with, or another line shot that a fielder makes a great play on. How many times have a batter in those situation ripped a ball that missed being a HR or off the wall by a foot or less.

So far, it's been one of those years -- no breaks on the field, rookies hitting bumps, veterans underachieving, something always seeming going wrong.

No, I didn't agree with everything that the team did in the offseason. I would have kept Salty and signed Beltran. Salty has a higher OPS and more HR but fewer RBIs than A.J. Beltran has just two more RBIs than Sizemore in a few more AB and has a higher OPS but still is batting just 14 points higher than Sizemore .234-.218. So who knows how much of a difference it would have been.

There's still a lot of season to be played, so who knows how things will go. Baseball is a strange game. Anyone who thinks they KNOW what's going to happen, KNOW when a team is out of it, KNOW when a team has it locked up, KNOW what player will succeed and what player won't is living in their own special delusional world.

Anyone with a little knowledge of the game knows how seasons can take sudden turns, players left for dead come to life, etc. And since the John Henry regime took over, they've consistently tried to put a championship team together. It doesn't mean they've always done smart things, but wondering if the front office is committed to winning is hardly a concern to me.

Excellent post (as usual) that is wasted on this thread...

Sections
Shortcuts