Larry Lucchino making insane demands

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from brdbreu. Show brdbreu's posts

Larry Lucchino making insane demands

hell yes, get every penny (aka player) out of them!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

Re: LARRY LUCCHINO MAKING INSANE DEMANDS according to csn chicago

I'm with ya, bro.

If Theo's worth $20 mill to the Cubs, he oughta be worth  a good penny in return (Not Brad ....)

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

I just as soon let him go for pennies, anything just to finally move on... this is stupid.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from UticaClub. Show UticaClub's posts

"Lucchino making insane demands" is the opinion of someone with a vested interest in the Cubs. So why would you want to start a thread about that? As a Red Sox fan, why not title the thread to say " Lucchino is Driving a Hard Bargain" or "Lucchino Doing His Job, Wants the Best Deal Possible"? Why would any real Red Sox fan want a bad deal for the Red Sox?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

What do the Sox stand to lose if they're too demanding?  Their GM?  Oh, wait...

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

The Cubs know Theo is not going to be the Sox GM next year, why should they give a lot?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

Moon, I agree, but if the Cubs want him and want to resolve their FO situation, then pay for him.  The guy has another year on his deal, if he wants to resign his post for no pay or sit out a year, then great, let him do it.  The Sox have probably told Cherington that's he's next up, so their operation is moving along,  They don't have to rush here, and if Theo wants to raid the cupboard, then the Sox should leverage this situation the best they can.  

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from beavis. Show beavis's posts

Garza and Cubbies take Lackey with sox paying few bucks...

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In Response to Re: LARRY LUCCHINO MAKING INSANE DEMANDS according to csn chicago:
    Moon, I agree, but if the Cubs want him and want to resolve their FO situation, then pay for him.  The guy has another year on his deal, if he wants to resign his post for no pay or sit out a year, then great, let him do it.  The Sox have probably told Cherington that's he's next up, so their operation is moving along,  They don't have to rush here, and if Theo wants to raid the cupboard, then the Sox should leverage this situation the best they can.  
    Posted by CablesWyndBairn

I'm not saying we should get nothing, but we are bargaining from a position of what?  I think we should settle quickly and get what we can and move on.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

In Response to Re: LARRY LUCCHINO MAKING INSANE DEMANDS according to csn chicago:
    In Response to Re: LARRY LUCCHINO MAKING INSANE DEMANDS according to csn chicago : I'm not saying we should get nothing, but we are bargaining from a position of what?  I think we should settle quickly and get what we can and move on.
    Posted by moonslav59

Moon,  Theo is being treated as a savior in Chicago.  What if Chicago doesnt land him.  Do they wait a year?  Do they throw a season down the crapper.  I think there is more pressure for Chicago to make sure this happens.  If it doesnt then what? Theo either comes back or they pay for him to sit at home.

I say we have nothing to lose for holding out for something decent.  No way we get a solid player(nor do they have much) but a good prospect and some cash is worth them sweating it out some.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Soxdog67. Show Soxdog67's posts

The Cubs know Theo is not going to be the Sox GM next year, why should they give a lot?
    Posted by moonslav59

Why? Because if the Sox do not release Theo from his contract they would put the Cubs in a bind to not get the guy the really want unless they wait a year.

Theo would be a lame duck in Boston, but the Sox would be no worse off as his responsilbilites would be assumed by Cherington.

In seems to me that the Sox have more leverage here than the Cubs.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Soxdog67. Show Soxdog67's posts

I just as soon let him go for pennies, anything just to finally move on... this is stupid.
    Posted by BurritoT

Of course you would Burrito, being a Yankee fan and all!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In Response to Re: LARRY LUCCHINO MAKING INSANE DEMANDS according to csn chicago : Moon,  Theo is being treated as a savior in Chicago.  What if Chicago doesnt land him.  Do they wait a year?  Do they throw a season down the crapper.  I think there is more pressure for Chicago to make sure this happens.  If it doesnt then what? Theo either comes back or they pay for him to sit at home. I say we have nothing to lose for holding out for something decent.  No way we get a solid player(nor do they have much) but a good prospect and some cash is worth them sweating it out some.
    Posted by shuperman

OK, but if eventually the Cubs say no and walk away, we are left with nothing. It is not likely to happen, but I can see the Cubs standing firm and saying take it or leave it, and us not being able to get another cent from them than what their current offer is.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In Response to Re: LARRY LUCCHINO MAKING INSANE DEMANDS according to csn chicago : Why? Because if the Sox do not release Theo from his contract they would put the Cubs in a bind to not get the guy the really want unless they wait a year. 

Why? Because if the Cubs walk away from the negotiations and go another direction, then we do not get the guy we really want either. The Cubs will get someone else. We will be left with nothing.

Theo would be a lame duck in Boston, but the Sox would be no worse off as his responsilbilites would be assumed by Cherington. In seems to me that the Sox have more leverage here than the Cubs.

Theo will not ever be a "lame duck in Boston". If he doesn't go to the Cubs, he will not be back in Boston next season in any way, shape or form.
    Posted by Soxdog67

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

In Response to Re: LARRY LUCCHINO MAKING INSANE DEMANDS according to csn chicago : OK, but if eventually the Cubs say no and walk away, we are left with nothing. It is not likely to happen, but I can see the Cubs standing firm and saying take it or leave it, and us not being able to get another cent from them than what their current offer is.
    Posted by moonslav59

Chicago would burn if that happens.  They literally think Theo is taking them to the promise land.  Beane for Youk back in the day.  Theo's resume is pretty darn impressive.  If I were the Sox let them wait and keep demanding.  It would throw their entire offseason off.  At which point Theo can sit at home or play a very unwelcome role into next year.
    Cash means nothing to this team.  Wait em out in the bunker and see what they offer. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Re: Larry Lucchino making insane demands

It would throw their entire offseason off.

I don't get why this would help the Sox. They could care less if the Cubs go 0-162.

Look, I understand the position that the Cubs really want Theo and the Sox know it means a lot to them, however, my point is that the Cubs also know that Theo means nothing to the Sox for 2012... nothing. I think some are looking at this from just one side.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

In Response to Re: LARRY LUCCHINO MAKING INSANE DEMANDS according to csn chicago : Chicago would burn if that happens.  They literally think Theo is taking them to the promise land.  Beane for Youk back in the day.  Theo's resume is pretty darn impressive.  If I were the Sox let them wait and keep demanding.  It would throw their entire offseason off.  At which point Theo can sit at home or play a very unwelcome role into next year. Cash means nothing to this team.  Wait em out in the bunker and see what they offer. 
    Posted by shuperman

I disagree. The Cubs would hire another highly qualified candidate and the Cubbie fans would get over Theo Epstein in a week or two. Many Cub fans would laud the owner for not caving in to Red Sox demands for what could be deemed excessive compensation.

Theo Epstein is like each offseason's most coveted free agent who ultimately fails to live up to unrealistic expectations. Epstein is a competent general manager, but he is no savior.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Soxdog67. Show Soxdog67's posts

In Response to Re: LARRY LUCCHINO MAKING INSANE DEMANDS according to csn chicago :
    Why? Because if the Cubs walk away from the negotiations and go another direction, then we do not get the guy we really want either. The Cubs will get someone else. We will be left with nothing.

Theo will not ever be a "lame duck in Boston". If he doesn't go to the Cubs, he will not be back in Boston next season in any way, shape or form.
    Posted by moonslav59

The Cubs will not walk away from the guy they want...Ricketts targeted Theo from the beginning and he is just a player or two away from getting a guy HE believes will bring them to a championship!

The guy we want? WHO IS THAT? Cherington? We got him already...and he takes over as GM no matter what shakes with Epstein.

If the Sox decide not to release Theo from his contract then he remains their employee for 2012 under the agreement of his contract...whether he shows up to earn that paycheck or not...obviously, he would forego a year's pay to make that decision.

This could get ugly, but teams get compensated when other teams come and take personnel under contract. Remember the Pats signing Belichek cost themselves a 1st round draft pick...baseball does not trade draft picks, just players!

• You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

A quote from Cubs owner Tom Ricketts on October 4:

On that note, FBN correspondent Neil Cavuto turned the discussion toward 2012 and what the future would hold for the Cubs. Cavuto specifically questioned Ricketts about the team’s open general manager position.

When asked about the Epstein rumors, Ricketts told FBN that he wasn’t entirely sure, but he did know “there’s a lot of good candidates out there”. Ricketts went on to say that, in bringing in new leadership, the Cubs will make sure they “come up with the right fit for the team”.

http://calltothepen.com/2011/10/04/tom-ricketts-talks-theo-epstein-rumors-with-fbn/

• You have chosen to ignore posts from Soxdog67. Show Soxdog67's posts

In Response to Re: Larry Lucchino making insane demands:
    A quote from Cubs owner Tom Ricketts on October 4: On that note, FBN correspondent Neil Cavuto turned the discussion toward 2012 and what the future would hold for the Cubs. Cavuto specifically questioned Ricketts about the team’s open general manager position. When asked about the Epstein rumors, Ricketts told FBN that he wasn’t entirely sure, but he did know “there’s a lot of good candidates out there”. Ricketts went on to say that, in bringing in new leadership, the Cubs will make sure they “come up with the right fit for the team”. http://calltothepen.com/2011/10/04/tom-ricketts-talks-theo-epstein-rumors-with-fbn/
    Posted by hill55

This is something Ricketts said BEFORE he agreed to a 5 year $18.5 million deal with Epstein!! This is the guys first and most wanted choice or he would not have shelled out that kind of money for him!

This deal will happen and hopefully the Sox remain steadfast to get the payer or players they feel offset the loss of their GM still under contract!

• You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

In Response to Re: Larry Lucchino making insane demands:
    In Response to Re: Larry Lucchino making insane demands : This is something Ricketts said BEFORE he agreed to a 5 year $18.5 million deal with Epstein!! This is the guys first and most wanted choice or he would not have shelled out that kind of money for him! This deal will happen and hopefully the Sox remain steadfast to get the payer or players they feel offset the loss of their GM still under contract!
    Posted by Soxdog67

Cubs president Tom Ricketts was able to conduct an early interview of Theo Epstein because many of the other candidates are/were busy working for teams in the postseason.

Theo Epstein may or may not be Tom Ricketts' top choice, but Epstein is not his only choice.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

In Response to Re: LARRY LUCCHINO MAKING INSANE DEMANDS according to csn chicago : Chicago would burn if that happens.  They literally think Theo is taking them to the promise land.  Beane for Youk back in the day.  Theo's resume is pretty darn impressive.  If I were the Sox let them wait and keep demanding.  It would throw their entire offseason off.  At which point Theo can sit at home or play a very unwelcome role into next year. Cash means nothing to this team.  Wait em out in the bunker and see what they offer. 
    Posted by shuperman

shuperman - I have talked to many Chicago fans and they are not so excited about Epstein. And certainly not at a high price. Chicago is not paying top dollar. You are lucky if you get 30 c on the dollar. This whole situation has made keeping Epstein in Boston for one more year an impossibility. I agree with Moon here. Take what you can and run like a thief.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Posted by moonslav59

The Cubs will not walk away from the guy they want...Ricketts targeted Theo from the beginning and he is just a player or two away from getting a guy HE believes will bring them to a championship! 

You seem 100% sure of that, so I can see why you think we can hold out for more and more and more. I don't see it that way, so there's not much more to add.

The guy we want? WHO IS THAT? Cherington? We got him already...and he takes over as GM no matter what shakes with Epstein.

I meant by "the guy we want" as the compensation for Theo. We have a chance to get a good prospect, but might end up with nothing if the Cubs walk away. That is my concern, and I think it is valid.

If the Sox decide not to release Theo from his contract then he remains their employee for 2012 under the agreement of his contract...whether he shows up to earn that paycheck or not...obviously, he would forego a year's pay to make that decision.

Yes, but that's not technically "lame duck". Lame duck implies he will be showing up to work, but can't get anything done. He won't "show up" here again.

This could get ugly, but teams get compensated when other teams come and take personnel under contract. Remember the Pats signing Belichek cost themselves a 1st round draft pick...baseball does not trade draft picks, just players!

I never said we should get nothing, I just said that there is two sides to the negotiations and there is a threat of the Cubs moving on and us being left with nothing.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from UticaClub. Show UticaClub's posts

Not sure that I buy into the "lame duck" scenario. If Theo remains then he would be a professional about it and perform his tasks accordingly. He is currently a GM out on a job search as other candidates from other franchises are. Will all of those candidates that fail be also "lame ducks" and become slackers at their jobs?

• You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

It's my opinion that even if the Cubs deal falls through, Theo will not be our GM or have any role in the 2012 Sox organization other than getting a pay check.

• Sections
    Shortcuts