Lars Anderson in the outfield

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from tripleb2066. Show tripleb2066's posts

Lars Anderson in the outfield

http://boston.redsox.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20120309&content_id=27154686&notebook_id=27154630&vkey=notebook_bos&c_id=bos

Good idea.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from sindarin-erebor. Show sindarin-erebor's posts

Re: Lars Anderson in the outfield

In Response to Lars Anderson in the outfield:
    [QUOTE]http://boston.redsox.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20120309&content_id=27154686&notebook_id=27154630&vkey=notebook_bos&c_id=bos Good idea.
    Posted by tripleb2066[/QUOTE]
    Most likely an real longshot Lars improves enough to make the 25 man roster and plays in the outfield if he gets to the show. I rather see him as a trading chip before the deadline.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from SysRq. Show SysRq's posts

Sure why not.  And Beckett can sell cold beer in the stands while Papi sings the National Anthem.  It's all good.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

Well...not like he's a good defensive 1st baseman, how much worse could he be?

Also, him playing first undercuts any trade value he would have because every other GM out there is well aware of the investment that is Adrian Gonzalez.

Can't hurt at any rate. I'd like to see some of that hitting resurface that pulled a Houdini once he hit AAA.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from traven. Show traven's posts

Not a good idea because if AGon can't play RF to let Papi in the lineup at 1b...Papi will have to patrol RF!  Laughing

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chilliwings. Show Chilliwings's posts

Sure, give him a chance, I'm all for it.  But he's never proven he can hit even in AAA, he's only 2.5 years younger than Sweeney, he is unlikely to ever field as well as Sweeney, Sweeney can play all 3 OF positions, and Sweeney's career OPS vs RHP is .754....and that's before Sweeney's played half his games at Fenway in the Sox' lineup.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

A little versatility can't hurt.  I think he is almost certain to be traded at some point.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

If Lars comes alive, he'll be traded before he ever starts a game in the OF for the Sox.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

In Response to Re: Lars Anderson in the outfield:
    [QUOTE]If Lars comes alive, he'll be traded before he ever starts a game in the OF for the Sox.
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]

Moon,

As a chip, he seems valuable ... have any idea for whom?

or what?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

Maybe to Chicago after the break if the White Sox can unload Dunn.  We might be able to get Floyd in a package, if we need a starter.

But if Anderson breaks out this year (or maybe more accurately adds some power and improves his BA slightly) we could be looking at a .900+ OPS vs RHP.  If Ortiz is gone next year, we could have a Lavarnway / Anderson platoon with relatively little drop off for $13M less.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Maybe Middlebrooks, Anderson and Exposito for Floyd (& Bowden?)

Slo, I don't see Lava being part of a platoon where he sits vs all or most RHPs. I think his role seems best suited to catch vs LHPs (since Salty stinks vs lefties) and then DH vs RHPs. 

This still leaves Lars as the man without a ML position.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

[QUOTE]Maybe Middlebrooks, Anderson and Exposito for Floyd (& Bowden?) Slo, I don't see Lava being part of a platoon where he sits vs all or most RHPs. I think his role seems best suited to catch vs LHPs (since Salty stinks vs lefties) and then DH vs RHPs.  This still leaves Lars as the man without a ML position.
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]

It would definitely be a challenge to fit him - this is a tough lineup to crack.  If Lavarnway's in the lineup vs righties and lefties, maybe he should be an everyday catcher, and Salty is the better trade bait.  If Anderson shows any aptitude at all for the OF, we may need him after 2013.  Even as trade bait, it would be nice to have him showcase some MLB-ready skills for a year.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Teakus. Show Teakus's posts

What sissies these professional athletes have become over the past 40 yrs or so, especially MLB players. The term "prima donna" comes to mind, with one definition being completely appropo... "common usage in any field denoting someone who behaves in a demanding, often temperamental fashion, revealing an inflated view of themselves, their talent, and their importance".  It's hilarious watching the prima donna BS swirling like a cloud among these MLB players these days. These jokers grew up playing baseball and have probably played every position at some point, except pitcher and catcher which are of course more specialized. Little League, Babe Ruth, High School, College, University, minors.....I guarantee you Lars has played a ton of outfield in his day, but people act like he's being asked to run a marathon under water or something. Bah!! It would serve the Red Sox well to broaden the horizens of their minor league talent. In fact, it may be critical over the next several seasons that we do so.There's no reason middle infielders shouldn't master both SS and 2nd, corner infielders 1st and 3rd, and stronger armed middle infielders all spots. The outfield obviously involves some running, and so may require a basic level of athleticism and fitness, but shouldn't we be comfortable asking our barely post adolescent minor leaguers to take up that challenge? Puleeeeeze! I remember some here going ballistic when Bobby V. floated the notion of asking Agon to play a bit of right field against National League opponants.  This would allow the lumbering Papster to play 1st, and keep two potent bats in our line-up. It's exactly the kind of "thinking outside the box" mentality that we were missing with Francona. Will it work? I dunno. But it's most assuredly worth trying. If Lars wants to assure himself a faster path to a MLB career, he needs to be as flexible as possible. And you folks decrying that effort should reconsider your stance. Our organization top to bottom is stronger when we have greater flexibility to put people where they're needed. Slay the "prima donna" mentality, that's what I say. Our collective futures may well depend on our ability to effect this needed change.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

[QUOTE]What sissies these professional athletes have become over the past 40 yrs or so, especially MLB players. The term "prima donna" comes to mind, with one definition being completely appropo... " common usage in any field denoting someone who behaves in a demanding, often temperamental fashion, revealing an inflated view of themselves, their talent, and their importance".  It's hilarious watching the prima donna BS swirling like a cloud among these MLB players these days. These jokers grew up playing baseball and have probably played every position at some point, except pitcher and catcher which are of course more specialized. Little League, Babe Ruth, High School, College, University, minors.....I guarantee you Lars has played a ton of outfield in his day, but people act like he's being asked to run a marathon under water or something. Bah!! It would serve the Red Sox well to broaden the horizens of their minor league talent. In fact, it may be critical over the next several seasons that we do so.There's no reason middle infielders shouldn't master both SS and 2nd, corner infielders 1st and 3rd, and stronger armed middle infielders all spots. The outfield obviously involves some running, and so may require a basic level of athleticism and fitness, but shouldn't we be comfortable asking our barely post adolescent minor leaguers to take up that challenge? Puleeeeeze! I remember some here going ballistic when Bobby V. floated the notion of asking Agon to play a bit of right field against National League opponants.  This would allow the lumbering Papster to play 1st, and keep two potent bats in our line-up. It's exactly the kind of "thinking outside the box" mentality that we were missing with Francona. Will it work? I dunno. But it's most assuredly worth trying. If Lars wants to assure himself a faster path to a MLB career, he needs to be as flexible as possible. And you folks decrying that effort should reconsider your stance. Our organization top to bottom is stronger when we have greater flexibility to put people where they're needed. Slay the "prima donna" mentality, that's what I say. Our collective futures may well depend on our ability to effect this needed change.
    Posted by Teakus[/QUOTE]

Right but see last year the Red Sox Put Aviles out there and he was horrible.  And Aviles is a much better athlete than Anderson.

It isn't really about whether Anderson can catch a ball in the outfield.  It's about the year's of practice that dictate the angles that one takes to get to the ball, the jump that one gets on the ball etc.

I don't think when one is talking about Anderson one is talking about a sissy or a prima donna.  He's just a guy who want be as good in the OF as a guy who has been playing it all along.  Just like a guy who is good at second might not make a good SS because maybe his arm is weak, or he doesnt have as good range.  

I think you are reading way too much into this whole thing.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

[QUOTE]What sissies these professional athletes have become over the past 40 yrs or so, especially MLB players. The term "prima donna" comes to mind, with one definition being completely appropo... " common usage in any field denoting someone who behaves in a demanding, often temperamental fashion, revealing an inflated view of themselves, their talent, and their importance".  It's hilarious watching the prima donna BS swirling like a cloud among these MLB players these days. These jokers grew up playing baseball and have probably played every position at some point, except pitcher and catcher which are of course more specialized. Little League, Babe Ruth, High School, College, University, minors.....I guarantee you Lars has played a ton of outfield in his day, but people act like he's being asked to run a marathon under water or something. Bah!! It would serve the Red Sox well to broaden the horizens of their minor league talent. In fact, it may be critical over the next several seasons that we do so.There's no reason middle infielders shouldn't master both SS and 2nd, corner infielders 1st and 3rd, and stronger armed middle infielders all spots. The outfield obviously involves some running, and so may require a basic level of athleticism and fitness, but shouldn't we be comfortable asking our barely post adolescent minor leaguers to take up that challenge? Puleeeeeze! I remember some here going ballistic when Bobby V. floated the notion of asking Agon to play a bit of right field against National League opponants.  This would allow the lumbering Papster to play 1st, and keep two potent bats in our line-up. It's exactly the kind of "thinking outside the box" mentality that we were missing with Francona. Will it work? I dunno. But it's most assuredly worth trying. If Lars wants to assure himself a faster path to a MLB career, he needs to be as flexible as possible. And you folks decrying that effort should reconsider your stance. Our organization top to bottom is stronger when we have greater flexibility to put people where they're needed. Slay the "prima donna" mentality, that's what I say. Our collective futures may well depend on our ability to effect this needed change.
    Posted by Teakus[/QUOTE]

I'm sure Lars will eagerly play anywhere he is asked.  But if he's a high-school caliber outfielder, we might not want him playing there for the Boston Red Sox.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Teakus. Show Teakus's posts

It's simply a matter of practice makes perfect, or maybe even an acceptably less than perfect alternative. I'm quite sure Lars will do what he's asked, as he well should. I'm speaking to the larger issue of established MLB stars dictating where and how they're used, when that dictation should be left to the discretion of the management which pays their salary. Will a corner infielder play right field as well as the position he's most experienced at? Doubtful. Is it reasonable to expect young, healthy, professional athletes to be prepared to play alternate positions if it would benefit the team to do so? ABSOLUTELY! Nobody is asking a pitcher to catch, or a center fielder to take on the hot corner. But I don't think it unreasonable to ask for a RETURN to the quaint old days when players did what they were asked to do, as long as it was doable. Trust me, asking a pro MLB player to chase down the few balls not hit directly to them in the outfield 2-4 times per game, is both doable and desirable if it helps the team win. I'm sure you agree. 

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Lars Anderson in the outfield : Right but see last year the Red Sox Put Aviles out there and he was horrible.  And Aviles is a much better athlete than Anderson. It isn't really about whether Anderson can catch a ball in the outfield.  It's about the year's of practice that dictate the angles that one takes to get to the ball, the jump that one gets on the ball etc. I don't think when one is talking about Anderson one is talking about a sissy or a prima donna.  He's just a guy who want be as good in the OF as a guy who has been playing it all along.  Just like a guy who is good at second might not make a good SS because maybe his arm is weak, or he doesnt have as good range.   I think you are reading way too much into this whole thing.
    Posted by snakeoil123[/QUOTE]

Sections
Shortcuts