Lars Anderson

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

Re: Lars Anderson

In Response to Re: Lars Anderson:
    He's not fast enough to play outfield.  He's a 6'4" lefty with a high baseball IQ. Missed his calling as a pitcher! I wouldnt expect the world back in a trade.  His minor league stats/trends show that he'll always have below average power for a first baseman.   .280 HR hitting, solid defensive, 20 HR first basemen arent very hard to come by.  Hate to say it, but he's kind of a commodity. Then again, so was Rizzo and we got wayyy too much back for him.  Guess you never know what the market will bring.
    Posted by Drewski5

I agree that there are a number of 1st Baseman who fit the description of 20HR, .280.....good defensively, but I would say not hard to come by....maybe half the league had a 1B like that....so if Lars could prove he could be that or better this year in AAA, he would be a very good trade chip next offseason.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

In Response to Re: Lars Anderson : I agree that there are a number of 1st Baseman who fit the description of 20HR, .280.....good defensively, but I would say not hard to come by....maybe half the league had a 1B like that....so if Lars could prove he could be that or better this year in AAA, he would be a very good trade chip next offseason.
    Posted by tomnev

Or he could hit 260 with 12 homers at AAA and would be a very bad trade chip.

I would move him now.  He really has not shown much improvment at all over the past few years.  Get what you can for him and let him play somewhere where he isn't blocked.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

He's not fast enough to play outfield.  He's a 6'4" lefty with a high baseball IQ. Missed his calling as a pitcher! I wouldnt expect the world back in a trade.  His minor league stats/trends show that he'll always have below average power for a first baseman.   .280 HR hitting, solid defensive, 20 HR first basemen arent very hard to come by.  Hate to say it, but he's kind of a commodity. Then again, so was Rizzo and we got wayyy too much back for him.  Guess you never know what the market will bring.
    Posted by Drewski5

I think the assumption of Lars-as-trade-chip line of thought on this thread is that his output thus far in early spring may be a sign of a trend change to come and that his power numbers and overall batting prowess will finally approach the lofty expectations for Lars three or four years back.  A late bloomer.  I don't know.  I am rooting for the kid and hope that there was some little approach rock yet unturned that has unlocked his promise, but I am skeptical.  

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

In Response to Re: Lars Anderson : I think the assumption of Lars-as-trade-chip line of thought on this thread is that his output thus far in early spring may be a sign of a trend change to come and that his power numbers and overall batting prowess will finally approach the lofty expectations for Lars three or four years back.  A late bloomer.  I don't know.  I am rooting for the kid and hope that there was some little approach rock yet unturned that has unlocked his promise, but I am skeptical.  
    Posted by SpacemanEephus

the most homers he has ever hit in a professional season is 18. Soxprospects.com says that he "projects as an up and down major league with the potential to carve out a role on a second diivison team"

He seems like a good guy and all but I dont know why a few ST at bats would make anyone think his entire careers trajectory has changed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from beavis. Show beavis's posts

Sox could have had Rich Harden from Billy Beane, wait, Harden is done for the year...good thing it did not consummate...Lars is a California guy...he reminds me of Brandon Belt...his day will come...

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

His career to date is through age 23.  It's not unreasonable to think he could gain power over the next couple of years, especially if he has been training to that purpose, as he claims.  I wouldn't count him out - with his discipline, if he gets into the 25-30 HR range, he'll be knocking on .900 OPS. That's Paul Konerko territory, and a pretty nice trade chip, if not in the DH mix in 2013.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from beavis. Show beavis's posts

His career to date is through age 23.  It's not unreasonable to think he could gain power over the next couple of years, especially if he has been training to that purpose, as he claims.  I wouldn't count him out - with his discipline, if he gets into the 25-30 HR range, he'll be knocking on .900 OPS. That's Paul Konerko territory, and a pretty nice trade chip, if not in the DH mix in 2013.
    Posted by slomag

195 pounds, he needs to put 20-30 pounds on the frame of his...

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In Response to Re: Lars Anderson : the most homers he has ever hit in a professional season is 18. Soxprospects.com says that he " projects as an up and down major league with the potential to carve out a role on a second diivison team" He seems like a good guy and all but I dont know why a few ST at bats would make anyone think his entire careers trajectory has changed.
    Posted by snakeoil123

It is a bit of wishful thinking, for sure.  Especially based on the first weekend of ST game play  But, it is not totally unreasonable to think that his trajectory could change.  He has great potential, a good eye, and has shown flashes of what he could possible do.  But he just hasn't been able to sustain any consistent success at the minor league levels.  He is at a pivotal age of 24 now.  24 is no longer anyone's comfortable idea of a work-in-progress, but it is also well within the window of time it takes for some guys to put it all together.  I totally agree a few ST at-bats says nothing of any significance.  But i can appreciate folks' wishful thinking that it signifies Lars finally putting it all together.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from charliedarling. Show charliedarling's posts

If Lars has a great spring training I think that the Sox should trade him as soon as a couple of teams get interested for some prospect pitching.

The better he looks in the spring, the better the prospects should be.

He is not an outfielder, is not going to be a better DH than Lavarnway and is never going to push Gonzalez off first base.

The best he will do in Boston will be to fill in for Gonzalez on occasion and DH on occasion.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sev133. Show Sev133's posts

i know its a thread on lars anderson but i was just curious if anybody has heard anything about josh fields....the player we got from seattle with erik bedard.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from tripleb2066. Show tripleb2066's posts

If Lars has a great spring training I think that the Sox should trade him as soon as a couple of teams get interested for some prospect pitching. The better he looks in the spring, the better the prospects should be. He is not an outfielder, is not going to be a better DH than Lavarnway and is never going to push Gonzalez off first base. The best he will do in Boston will be to fill in for Gonzalez on occasion and DH on occasion.
    Posted by charliedarling

Lavarnway could end up as the full time catcher in 2013. Lars could very welll be in the mix for DH (if he hits well of course).

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Posted by Drewski5

1Bmen with over 400 PAs in 2011:

9- 1st Basemen had over 30 HRs last year.
    15 had 26+
    20 had 19+

11 had a BA over .298
    15 over .280

10 had .280+ and 20+ HRs (1 had .293 & 19 HRs)

8 - 1Bmen had a .906+ OPS
    11- from .795 to .850
    9 - from .731 to .788

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

i know its a thread on lars anderson but i was just curious if anybody has heard anything about josh fields....the player we got from seattle with erik bedard.
    Posted by Sev133

Reliever Josh Fields is Boston's 60th-ranked prospect at SoxProspects:

http://soxprospects.com/players/fields-josh.htm

The 26-year-old righthander is still listed with the Portland Sea Dogs at the website of the Pawtucket PawSox (although I doubt the 2012 rosters have been set).

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

In Response to Re: Lars Anderson : 1Bmen with over 400 PAs in 2011: 9- 1st Basemen had over 30 HRs last year. 15 had 26+ 20 had 19+ 11 had a BA over .298 15 over .280 10 had .280+ and 20+ HRs (1 had .293 & 19 HRs) 8 - 1Bmen had a .906+ OPS 11- from .795 to .850 9 - from .731 to .788
    Posted by moonslav59

Thanks for the research.  As I said and you proved, his ceiling is an above average MLB first baseman.  That being said, I dont think he could be the centerpiece in a trade for an all-star.

The going rate for an all-star is roughly 2 elite prospects, and 2 mid-level prospects.  Right now, I would say he is a mid-level prospect.  I dont think its time to give up on him, but I also dont think he'll ever live up to the once gaudy expectations.  I'm thinking a Casey Kotchman like career.  Good backup firstbaseman on a good team, can start on a bad team (with a high OBP and solid defense)

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I'm not sure if he will ever reach his trade value he had when he was our top prospect.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

At age 24, it's too early to write him off.  He could still turn out to be a big league power hitter.  But time is running out.  He has to show some significant improvement this year.

Sections
Shortcuts