LaRussa as Red Sox manager: Your thoughts?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

LaRussa as Red Sox manager: Your thoughts?

To begin with, I realize that LaRussa may not want any part of this and might be content where he is.  But let's just say he's interested.  It's a possibility he might thrive on the challenge. 

Now, before this September collapse, I never would have even thought of such a notion.  But the reason it might not be a bad move is the position the organization finds itself in.  As much as some angry fans might like to see this team overhauled, they are not in position to scrap so many stars laden with big contracts.  Like it or not, they are going to have to work with many of the same players that played a role in this year's collapse.  To turn it around in this environment, I think they need a manager with significant stature.  The two best candidates, if available, would be Leyland and LaRussa.  I'm not sure that Leyland would take well to the Sabremetrics input and I've seen him not respond well to press inquisition when he won a World Series with the Marlins. 

LaRussa would definitely have his share of testy moments with the media, but I don't think he'd care about chewing out a beat reporter every once in awhile.  If he performs well enough, he may win that battle publicly, or he at least might earn a pass for awhile.  I also think he would be receptive to the Sabremetrics input and not feel at all threatened by it. 

This may not be the time or place to give a rookie or unproven manager a shot, coming on the heels of a 8 year run of a manager with such a long tenure and track record of success in spite of the last few season's disappointments and failures.  It might take someone with stature and cojones.  Don Tony, as some refer to him, has both.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

Re: LaRussa as Red Sox manager: Your thoughts?

Would Duncan be a part of the deal?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

In Response to Re: LaRussa as Red Sox manager: Your thoughts?:
    [QUOTE]Would Duncan be a part of the deal?
    Posted by harness[/QUOTE]

I would assume so.  Of course. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxFanInIL. Show SoxFanInIL's posts

I live 90 miles from St Louis.  I find LaRussa and his falling asleep in Florida traffic drunk to be revolting.  He also holds grudges with players and can't get past them. Do not like the guy.

I like Duncan, though.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

[QUOTE]I live 90 miles from St Louis.  I find LaRussa and his falling asleep in Florida traffic drunk to be revolting.  He also holds grudges with players and can't get past them. Do not like the guy. I like Duncan, though.
    Posted by SoxFanInIL[/QUOTE]

Personally, I don't like him either and I'm sure he'll ruffle some feathers.  I still think he might be the best man for the job though. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxFanInIL. Show SoxFanInIL's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: LaRussa as Red Sox manager: Your thoughts? : Personally, I don't like him either and I'm sure he'll ruffle some feathers.  I still think he might be the best man for the job though. 
    Posted by Sheriff-Rojas[/QUOTE]

Out of the names Ive heard, the only reason LaRussa would be better than Valentine would be if he brought Duncan with him.  LaRussa considers retirement every year with the Cards... he's like Piniella... a marquee name but over 70, tired and ready to quit.  LaRussa said Boston would eat Renteria alive.  He was right.  I think Boston would eat old Tony alive.

This choice is going to be a tough call for Theo, and he's next out the door with the slightest slip.  I don't know who I'd have at the top of my list.  I know Tito wasn't my choice last time, and look what he did.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

Ken Macha might be a possible choice. I always thought he was pretty capable and was good with the players. He's got prior experience in the Boston organization. Here's a link:

http://www.baseball-reference.com/bullpen/Ken_Macha#Biographical_Information

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: LaRussa as Red Sox manager: Your thoughts? : Out of the names Ive heard, the only reason LaRussa would be better than Valentine would be if he brought Duncan with him.  LaRussa considers retirement every year with the Cards... he's like Piniella... a marquee name but over 70, tired and ready to quit.  LaRussa said Boston would eat Renteria alive.  He was right.  I think Boston would eat old Tony alive. This choice is going to be a tough call for Theo, and he's next out the door with the slightest slip.  I don't know who I'd have at the top of my list.  I know Tito wasn't my choice last time, and look what he did.
    Posted by SoxFanInIL[/QUOTE]

You may have a point about his age, as he may not have the energy to handle it as this point in his career, but I certainly would put him way, way above Piniella in the pantheon of great managers.  LaRussa is so much more cerebral than Piniella.  While this characteristic onto itself is not a qualification for a good manager, it certainly helps when working within a system that applies so much Sabremetric data that is expected to be utilized. 

When you say Boston would "eat him alive," I'm not so sure about that.  LaRussa has got about as hard a shell as anybody.  He's likely to rub some people the wrong way and not give ashit about it later. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from poprox13. Show poprox13's posts

My thoughts?  Hell no!!!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

[QUOTE]Ken Macha might be a possible choice. I always thought he was pretty capable and was good with the players. He's got prior experience in the Boston organization. Here's a link: http://www.baseball-reference.com/bullpen/Ken_Macha#Biographical_Information
    Posted by harness[/QUOTE]

The article didn't state why he was let go in Oakland.  I'm curious.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

Some things we'll never know. I always thought it had to do with a team not meeting PO expectation. Think Grady.
    Next to Maddon, Macha would be my choice, FWIW.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Jim Leyland.

His deal expires this year.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

Leyland and LaRussa are both great managers with strong track records. But I just don't think the fit will work. Theo is bound to get another mouth piece.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac32. Show pinstripezac32's posts

To begin with, I realize that LaRussa may not want any part of this and might be content where he is.

I think there is just to much truth there Sheriff-Rojas

but how sweet would it be if he did leave the cards

and tito was able to get maybe the best mgr job in BB

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from antibody. Show antibody's posts

[QUOTE]Jim Leyland. His deal expires this year.
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]

Why would either LaRussa or Leyland want to take the job? The money? I doubt it. The challenge? You're dreaming. The Red Sox are a mess. It took years to get that way. It will take time to make it better. Does anybody honestly think that there is anyone who can simply walk in, snap their fingers and fix it?

They are both managers of successful franchises and likely to be offered contracts to stay where the are.

I'll ask again...Why, why, why would either of these men come to Boston?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from antibody. Show antibody's posts

Bump.

I really am interested in your answer.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

Sheriff,

I'm getting to the point I misremember things here and there.  Wifey says I misremember always ... but if I can remember that she says I always misremember, then I don't always, fo I?

Anyway ...

I think I remember LaRussa making several very derisive comments about the Red Sox and Boston over the years.

Leads me to think he'd want none of us ... period.

But maybe I'm misremembering.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from elvis-surfs. Show elvis-surfs's posts

I recall La Russa almost campaigning for the coaching job with us about 10 years back, but we had a guy from Texas called Kennedy who had just had one decent year with us...he bombed the next year, but La Russa had already started coaching St.  Luis...La Russa said Boston was the best baseball town in the game, most knowedgeable fan base...he said this when he brought his A's through town...I would love to see La Russa give it a go here...

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from promise4you. Show promise4you's posts

[QUOTE]Jim Leyland. His deal expires this year.
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]

Moon,I live in Michigan and they have hated Leyland all the way until September. but im betting he stays put!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from promise4you. Show promise4you's posts

In Response to LaRussa as Red Sox manager: Your thoughts?:
    [QUOTE]To begin with, I realize that LaRussa may not want any part of this and might be content where he is.  But let's just say he's interested.  It's a possibility he might thrive on the challenge.  Now, before this September collapse, I never would have even thought of such a notion.  But the reason it might not be a bad move is the position the organization finds itself in.  As much as some angry fans might like to see this team overhauled, they are not in position to scrap so many stars laden with big contracts.  Like it or not, they are going to have to work with many of the same players that played a role in this year's collapse.  To turn it around in this environment, I think they need a manager with significant stature.  The two best candidates, if available, would be Leyland and LaRussa.  I'm not sure that Leyland would take well to the Sabremetrics input and I've seen him not respond well to press inquisition when he won a World Series with the Marlins.  LaRussa would definitely have his share of testy moments with the media, but I don't think he'd care about chewing out a beat reporter every once in awhile.  If he performs well enough, he may win that battle publicly, or he at least might earn a pass for awhile.  I also think he would be receptive to the Sabremetrics input and not feel at all threatened by it.  This may not be the time or place to give a rookie or unproven manager a shot, coming on the heels of a 8 year run of a manager with such a long tenure and track record of success in spite of the last few season's disappointments and failures.  It might take someone with stature and cojones.  Don Tony, as some refer to him, has both.
    Posted by Sheriff-Rojas[/QUOTE]

How about we just get Duncan instead?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

In Response to Re: LaRussa as Red Sox manager: Your thoughts? : Why would either LaRussa or Leyland want to take the job? The money? I doubt it. The challenge? You're dreaming. The Red Sox are a mess. It took years to get that way. It will take time to make it better. Does anybody honestly think that there is anyone who can simply walk in, snap their fingers and fix it?  They are both managers of successful franchises and likely to be offered contracts to stay where the are. I'll ask again...Why, why, why would either of these men come to Boston?
    Posted by antibody

Fix what? It's aint broken, they just need to retool and get healthy... entering 2012 we have...

Starting pitching...They all have something to prove and will likely have a new pitching coach...

Lester, Buccholz, Beckett, Lackey under contract with a couple of young guns down on the farm, Doubbront, Ranaundo and this years #1 Barnes. we have arms they could help to bolster us and serve as organizational depth..Check the 2012 free agent market there's about 6 to 10 guys that fall under the veteran innings eaters like Edwin Jackson, Aarron Harrang or Hiroki Kuroda sign one or two of them and we'd match up with any rotation...

2012 Rotation:
    Lester
    Buccholz
    Beckett
    Jackson/Kuroda
    Lackey
    Doubront

In the pen we have Bard, Morales, Albers, Jenks and Aceves all under the teams control with a team option for Wheeler and Miller...plenty to build around...If we sign Papelbon or another of the top closers on the market the pen is a tweak away from being very solid...

Bell/Valverde/Papelbon
    Bard
    Morales
    Aceves
    Albers
    the final two spots are anyones guess...Jenks is the WC and whether they chose to pick up Wheelers option (doubtful)....

The every day lineup and bench isn't exactly barren...We still have Ells, Pedrioa and Gonzalez the latter should benefit from an entire offseason to strengthen his shoulder and return to his former 40 homer power in 2012...They along with the hopeful return to form and good health of Crawford and Youk and we have a pretty formidable nucleaus of player in their primes. to buid around...Lets remember that this group led the majors in runs scored this year. Positions of need are C, RF, SS and DH, To that end, @ the catchers position we have Saltalamachia and Lavarnway already under the teams control @ SS we have a team option for Scutaro and Aviles and Lowrie are both arbitration eligable..down on the farm we have Inglesias who's still only 21 but can play SS in the show, the question is can he hit?...Rightfield is where we have our greatest challenge because both of our in house guys profile as 4th outfielders with very similar skillsets (Reddick & Kalish)...The easy fix is to sign one of 3 or 4 guys that fit the profile of a RH bat (Cuddayer, Rivera, Willingham)...

I also could see us letting Papi walk and making a run at Ibaneztype who'd give us a much better option in that he can play 1B and the OF.... or even DeJesus and then we could use the DH as a platoon position (Youk?)...

CF Ells
    2B Pedrioa
    LF Crawford
    3B Youk
    1B Gonzalez
    RF Cuddayer
    DH Ibanez (also play 1B & LF)
    C Saltalamachia
    SS Scutaro

Bench; Aviles, Lowrie, Kalish, Lavarnway...Iglesias?

I'd be ok with the above squad...

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from OnDeckCircle. Show OnDeckCircle's posts

From the Chicago Sun-Times   ...............

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/7952063-574/terry-francona-wants-out-of-boston-white-sox-are-logical-landing-spot.html

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

[QUOTE]Sheriff,   I'm getting to the point I misremember things here and there.  Wifey says I misremember always ... but if I can remember that she says I always misremember, then I don't always, fo I?   Anyway ...   I think I remember LaRussa making several very derisive comments about the Red Sox and Boston over the years.   Leads me to think he'd want none of us ... period.   But maybe I'm misremembering.
    Posted by SinceYaz[/QUOTE]

LaRussa has made derisive comments about a lot of things.  Consider them in the context of a manager competing against the Red Sox while wearing a different uniform.  As another poster indicated, he has also lauded Boston as a great baseball city.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

[QUOTE]From the Chicago Sun-Times   ............... http://www.suntimes.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/7952063-574/terry-francona-wants-out-of-boston-white-sox-are-logical-landing-spot.html
    Posted by OnDeckCircle[/QUOTE]

What does this article have to do with LaRussa?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from LeftyGrove. Show LeftyGrove's posts

Re: LaRussa as Red Sox manager: Your thoughts? FISK AS BENCH COACH?

How about seeing if Pudge would be interested in being bench coach to whoever manages?  We see guys, with big paychecks, who just don't give a dam-. We need someone from the franchise who exhibited the characteristics of hard play , day in and day out. Give him free reign, to kick a--, get guys in shape, and let him work with the pitching staff. Thoughts?

Sections
Shortcuts