LaRussa as Red Sox manager: Your thoughts?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from 1958lesspaul. Show 1958lesspaul's posts

Re: LaRussa as Red Sox manager: Your thoughts?

The #1 problem is Epstein.

The #2 problem is pitching staff approach and development.

Offer Duncan the job, and see if he will take it and the Cardinals would routinely release an assistant to take a head coach position.

But the manager is not the real problem.  

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

In Response to Re: LaRussa as Red Sox manager: Your thoughts?:
    In Response to Re: LaRussa as Red Sox manager: Your thoughts? : LaRussa has made derisive comments about a lot of things.  Consider them in the context of a manager competing against the Red Sox while wearing a different uniform.  As another poster indicated, he has also lauded Boston as a great baseball city.
    Posted by Sheriff-Rojas

To me it's not a question of would he be interested but rather. What do the Red Sox have to offer him, that he can't get where he is? Lurussa who's on his way to Cooperstown and has shown little interest in moving to a front office job. Is currently managing in one the single greatest baseball markets on planet earth (St. Louis), in a division where he doesn't have to compete with deep pocketed large market teams and is seen as an icon in the community. One where he has already won 1 championship and in a league that is a beter fit for his managerial style...No I'd have to think he'd be far more interested in the Cub's job than the Sox, but I could be wrong...

Personally I don't see him leaving St' Louis (Puljos or no Puljos)...

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

In Response to Re: LaRussa as Red Sox manager: Your thoughts? : Why would either LaRussa or Leyland want to take the job?

I am only speculating on this.  And it's not like the Red Sox don't have the potential to win the World Series again.  It may be challenging within the AL East, but they certainly will have the commitment of the organization behind them.

The money? I doubt it. The challenge?

Not solely for the money, but the fattest managerial contract in baseball would have to be a prerequisite.  Then again, they may show interest to play off their own organizations and not get the response they were hoping for. 

Yes, it is a challenge competing in the same division against Tampa and the Yanks.  But they are not far from the top and were just there a month ago.

You're dreaming.

Maybe.  I can dream though, can't I?  At the same time, while I'm suggesting LaRussa, I'm not implying that he or any manager is a panacea to the team's problems.  I'm just speculating that the organization might think big regarding this matter.  In the situation they find themselves in, they may need a steely manager with pedigree to overcome a lack of player discpline and commitment.

The Red Sox are a mess. It took years to get that way.  It will take time to make it better.

Whether true or not, I don't believe upper management believes this.  The team is not positioned for a significant retooling having too much invested in certain players.  While they may or may not be successful in filling certain gaps, the focus will be on the manager to get the most out the personnel that are already under contract.  They need somebody who will have the key to get Crawford back to performing at career norms and making sure the team is prepared all season long with key pitchers not losing their grip in September.

Does anybody honestly think that there is anyone who can simply walk in, snap their fingers and fix it?  

I don't believe they can simply walk in, snap their fingers and fix it.  This is why the organization needs to aim high to bring in the best.

They are both managers of successful franchises and likely to be offered contracts to stay where the are. I'll ask again...Why, why, why would either of these men come to Boston?

You are saying the Red Sox are not a successful franchise?  In spite of playing in a brutal division, they have performed better than both St. Louis and Detroit if you bother to look back beyond just this season and last.   Maybe they see the potential and could be the skippers that will bring the team back.  They have just as good a chance of winning a World Series with the Red Sox, if not better, as they do with winning in St. Louis and Detroit.  The fat contract will not be the only motivating factor, but it certainly won't hurt.
    Posted by antibody

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from OnDeckCircle. Show OnDeckCircle's posts

In Response to Re: LaRussa as Red Sox manager: Your thoughts? : What does this article have to do with LaRussa?
    Posted by Sheriff-Rojas

Simply said, LaRussa is not coming here.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

In Response to Re: LaRussa as Red Sox manager: Your thoughts? : Simply said, LaRussa is not coming here.
    Posted by OnDeckCircle

Fair take. In fact can somebody tell me exactly why somebody would want to leave St. Louis to manage here?

The understanding fan base?

The reasonable media?

The luxurious accommodations at Fenway?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

In Response to Re: LaRussa as Red Sox manager: Your thoughts? : Fair take. In fact can somebody tell me exactly why somebody would want to leave St. Louis to manage here? The understanding fan base? The reasonable media? The luxurious accommodations at Fenway?
    Posted by fivekatz
    LOL..yeah, those warm and cuddly Sox fans are quite the lure..Tongue outWink

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from antibody. Show antibody's posts

Beantowne, Red Sheriff, I sincerely hope your takes on the Sox future are right and mine are wrong. Unfortunately I am unable to debate the subject adequately because I just got back from a local sports bar where I watched the Patriots beat the Raiders. Nothing that I say right now will make much sense (not that it normally does). I'll try to make some sense tomorrow. One can only hope.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

No LaRussa.  NO!!!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from brdbreu. Show brdbreu's posts

No LaRussa.  NO!!!
    Posted by notin

agreed.
    but new gm, new coach staff. young (or youthful), but experienced, felxible but stern, motivational, perceptive to personalities who knows how to manage a game (and can light a fire under some butts) mgr, completely new preventative health staff. and some gddm starting pitching and middle relief.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from athens7676. Show athens7676's posts

It would sure be interesting around these threads in LaRussa took the job. There are so many people who LIVE to crticize managerial moves around here, and LaRussa makes moves just for the sake of making them all the time. Not to mention how he sticks with guys who are not definitvely the best guy at his position because they are "his guys", and he is caustic as hell with the media. The "I hate LaRussa" threads would dwarf the anti-Tito threads in a month. Although he might slightly mollify the ignorant who think that bunting or hitting and running are the keys to both winning and good managing  (they are the keys to neither..winning teams don't bunt).

Sections
Shortcuts