Larvanaway

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

Larvanaway

Was I the only one surprised to see the next Carlton Fisk (Bill's favorite player) playing first base yesterday while Vasquez was throwing out a runner by 5 feet??????

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from youkillus. Show youkillus's posts

Re: Larvanaway

In response to JimfromFlorida's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Was I the only one surprised to see the next Carlton Fisk (Bill's favorite player) playing first base yesterday while Vasquez was throwing out a runner by 5 feet??????

[/QUOTE]

Lavarnway is a legit stick, he's got Pudge Fisk power, but no postion. I think the Sox are showcasing him.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from 37stories. Show 37stories's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

He might not be the next Fisk but he looks a lot like the next Jeff Bailey.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from jader. Show jader's posts

In response to youkillus' comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Lavarnway is a legit stick, he's got Pudge Fisk power, but no postion. I think the Sox are showcasing him.

[/QUOTE]

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from jader. Show jader's posts

he's lost his way. Showed some pop a few years ago but not now. He'll be a throw in to a low level trade

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

Ye of little faith!

BILL! What is your Dad going to do with these non believers!

I think Lavarnway has a decent stick and if given the chance he will be an above average hitting catcher. He should be able to be at least a good substitute catcher and if he can sub in at 1st and DH some he could be a real asset to some lower division team. As he loses his options he probably has to go after this year with the Sox.

Unless he finds a way to prove himself to all the naysayers this year, but he has very little chance of that if he doesn't make the team. He's a lot better than people think. When someone plays with an injury or is recovering from an illness, or in his instance just worn out that first year he so much playing time for the first time in his life at catcher, it can skew people's thinking for a long time. This guy is not a .200 hitter with zero pop.

It may well be that some time at 1st would keep him fresh and improve his overall performance. He does look like a trade project though. They do look to be shopping him.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from steven11. Show steven11's posts

One of my favorite players, Victor Martinez, also plays first in addition to catching.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

In response to steven11's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

One of my favorite players, Victor Martinez, also plays first in addition to catching.

[/QUOTE]

Actually now, he DH's and that's about it -- (13 games at 1B last year, 3 at C).

In his prime, that's a different story.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from steven11. Show steven11's posts

In response to royf19's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Actually now, he DH's and that's about it -- (13 games at 1B last year, 3 at C).

[/QUOTE]

I was just referring to his prime.  I did not want him to leave the sox. In has anyone is about to post, no I am not comparing Larvanaway to V Mart

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

Lavarnway who?!!!!!

VAZQUEZ will be our next full time catcher!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to royf19's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I was just referring to his prime.  I did not want him to leave the sox. In has anyone is about to post, no I am not comparing Larvanaway to V Mart

[/QUOTE]

I liked him, but he had no position in Boston.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I haven't written off Lava, but I do not have any expectations for him making a meaningful contribution to the team at any time. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxnewmex. Show soxnewmex's posts

If Lava gets in, it'll be due to injuries at first and catch.  If he did somehow got in, I believe he'd play well, hit, and win converts.  If he is traded, he'll finally get the chance to play on the major league level that he's earned and deserves.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Lav could end up like Cecchini, having a solid bat but no position.  For two years now I have been saying we should either give him a shot or trade him to a team that will before he gets too old.  Garin has a few more years to develop at a position but I don't see him at 3B unless he really improves.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

In response to RedsoxProspects' comment:
    [QUOTE]

Ye of little faith!

BILL! What is your Dad going to do with these non believers!

I think Lavarnway has a decent stick and if given the chance he will be an above average hitting catcher. He should be able to be at least a good substitute catcher and if he can sub in at 1st and DH some he could be a real asset to some lower division team. As he loses his options he probably has to go after this year with the Sox.

Unless he finds a way to prove himself to all the naysayers this year, but he has very little chance of that if he doesn't make the team. He's a lot better than people think. When someone plays with an injury or is recovering from an illness, or in his instance just worn out that first year he so much playing time for the first time in his life at catcher, it can skew people's thinking for a long time. This guy is not a .200 hitter with zero pop.

It may well be that some time at 1st would keep him fresh and improve his overall performance. He does look like a trade project though. They do look to be shopping him.

[/QUOTE]As DAD would say ........ " SON, the RED SOX are doing to Lavarnway what the LITTLE LEAGUE did to you" !!!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

I think we are close to denial on Lavarnway here.  If he had any value I think he would have been traded by now.  I'm not saying it's time to give up on him....but that time is fast approaching.

His defense is not adequate to start, his bat was and always will be the carrying tool and that has disparaged.  It also seems more than just sporadic playing time, his bat speed has diminished and he's simply just not the same player.  

I hate to make Bill sad....but the "next Carlton Fisk" may be the next "Sox bust to get cut" 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to JoseLaguna's comment:
    [QUOTE]

They are going to give Lavarnway a long look in ST this year and showcase him to the other teams. This is fair to both him and the franchise.  Perhaps he will be part of a trade.

[/QUOTE]

I'm sorry but I don't think Lavarnway carry's any trade value at this point.  He is more valuable to Boston right now and that is only on the chance that his bat comes back. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

They are going to give Lavarnway a long look in ST this year and showcase him to the other teams. This is fair to both him and the franchise.  Perhaps he will be part of a trade.

[/QUOTE]

I'm sorry but I don't think Lavarnway carry's any trade value at this point.  He is more valuable to Boston right now and that is only on the chance that his bat comes back. 

[/QUOTE]

Some teams have very weak hitting catchers and/or no catching prospects. Although I am not high on Lava, he may be better than what some teams have right now.

I don't disagree with you on his possible value to us as a 1Bman/DH/3rd catcher.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Some teams have very weak hitting catchers and/or no catching prospects. Although I am not high on Lava, he may be better than what some teams have right now.

I don't disagree with you on his possible value to us as a 1Bman/DH/3rd catcher.

[/QUOTE]

Again...if there was a decent offer on the table for him I think he'd be gone by now.  The Sox have 2 MLB catchers and two really good prospects close to the majors and Dan Butler is probably a better back up option at this point. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazy-world-of-troybrown. Show crazy-world-of-troybrown's posts

He hit pretty good last year for a part time player. .346 RISP .357 2 outs RISP. While Ross was out he started 13 games and hit .304.
    He caught Wright last season 2 times, once in relief in Seattle had no Passed Balls, then that fiasco in Houston, where no one would have caught Wright. Had big at Bats in both come from behind wins.
    He's in a hard position right now, just need to keep grinding.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to crazy-world-of-troybrown's comment:
    [QUOTE]

He hit pretty good last year for a part time player. .346 RISP .357 2 outs RISP. While Ross was out he started 13 games and hit .304.
    He caught Wright last season 2 times, once in relief in Seattle had no Passed Balls, then that fiasco in Houston, where no one would have caught Wright. Had big at Bats in both come from behind wins.
    He's in a hard position right now, just need to keep grinding.

[/QUOTE]

yeah...in less than 30 at bats.  In a little bit of a larger sample size he's been a .221 hitter with RISP.  I still think 80 at bats is too SSS, but thats' my point...it's to small a sample size.

I'd be very surprised if Lavarnway is still with this team come July. VERY surprised. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

Oliver projects a five-year WAR of 4.9 for Ryan Lavarnway and 4.6 for Seattle 1B/DH/C Jesus Montero (assuming 600 plate appearances each year), so the 26-year-old Lavarnway would seem to have a tad more trade value than the 24-year-old Montero.

http://www.fangraphs.com/statss.aspx?playerid=8879&position=C/DH#longprojection

http://www.fangraphs.com/statss.aspx?playerid=5514&position=C/DH#longprojection

... although Lavarnway did not report to Spring Training 40 pounds overweight.Smile

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Again...if there was a decent offer on the table for him I think he'd be gone by now.  The Sox have 2 MLB catchers and two really good prospects close to the majors and Dan Butler is probably a better back up option at this point. 

[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't be surprised one bit if Vazquez is the first catcher called up from AAA this year.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't be surprised one bit if Vazquez is the first catcher called up from AAA this year.

[/QUOTE]

I would.  They view Butler as a better back up catcher than lavarnway (allegedly) and he has much more experience at a higher level....AND supposedly he calls a really really good game.

The Sox will want a guy like Vasquez to get playing time every single day.  He might get a cup of coffee at the end of the year.

This could change, if Vasquez is RAKING in Pawtucket and someone goes down in August then I think he is no doubt the guy who comes up.  But if it is May or early June and they need another catcher then I highly doubt he gets the call.

Remember this the kid had over 20 passed balls last year, as good as his defense is...it has some holes and he has some things to work on. 

Sections
Shortcuts