Larvanaway

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazy-world-of-troybrown. Show crazy-world-of-troybrown's posts

Re: Larvanaway

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:

In response to crazy-world-of-troybrown's comment:

He hit pretty good last year for a part time player. .346 RISP .357 2 outs RISP. While Ross was out he started 13 games and hit .304.
    He caught Wright last season 2 times, once in relief in Seattle had no Passed Balls, then that fiasco in Houston, where no one would have caught Wright. Had big at Bats in both come from behind wins.
    He's in a hard position right now, just need to keep grinding.

yeah...in less than 30 at bats.  In a little bit of a larger sample size he's been a .221 hitter with RISP.  I still think 80 at bats is too SSS, but thats' my point...it's to small a sample size.

I'd be very surprised if Lavarnway is still with this team come July. VERY surprised. 

Thats why I used Clutch numbers, because of small sample size. You can hit with 2 outs and RISP, while you play very little is not bad.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

He hit pretty good last year for a part time player. .346 RISP .357 2 outs RISP. While Ross was out he started 13 games and hit .304.
    He caught Wright last season 2 times, once in relief in Seattle had no Passed Balls, then that fiasco in Houston, where no one would have caught Wright. Had big at Bats in both come from behind wins.
    He's in a hard position right now, just need to keep grinding.

yeah...in less than 30 at bats.  In a little bit of a larger sample size he's been a .221 hitter with RISP.  I still think 80 at bats is too SSS, but thats' my point...it's to small a sample size.

I'd be very surprised if Lavarnway is still with this team come July. VERY surprised. 

Thats why I used Clutch numbers, because of small sample size.

less than 30 at bats in any scenario effectively tells us nothing about a player.  A guy could hit .500 with runners in scoring position with 100% of his hits coming when the team is up by 10 runs.  

There really is a small argument of Lavarnway at this point.  If I'm wrong, and/or he turns it around that is GREAT news....I just think there is very little reason to be optimistic about his future with Boston right now. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I wouldn't be surprised one bit if Vazquez is the first catcher called up from AAA this year.

[/QUOTE]

I would.  They view Butler as a better back up catcher than lavarnway (allegedly) and he has much more experience at a higher level....AND supposedly he calls a really really good game.

The Sox will want a guy like Vasquez to get playing time every single day.  He might get a cup of coffee at the end of the year.

This could change, if Vasquez is RAKING in Pawtucket and someone goes down in August then I think he is no doubt the guy who comes up.  But if it is May or early June and they need another catcher then I highly doubt he gets the call.

Remember this the kid had over 20 passed balls last year, as good as his defense is...it has some holes and he has some things to work on. 

I'm assuming the first guy called up for because a catcher went on the DL, so whoever comes up will play enough to want who you think is best- not who needs to play everyday and develop more... to me that man is a close call between Butler and Vazquez. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazy-world-of-troybrown. Show crazy-world-of-troybrown's posts

What the Sox should do is pull an Adams like the Cards did, get him on 1st base in Pawtucket. He has hit everywhere he has been in the Minors. You dont lose that all of a sudden, just need at bats. Gives the Sox versatlity, thats the smart way to run a franchise. More positions the more valuable you are.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

I wouldn't be surprised one bit if Vazquez is the first catcher called up from AAA this year.

I would.  They view Butler as a better back up catcher than lavarnway (allegedly) and he has much more experience at a higher level....AND supposedly he calls a really really good game.

The Sox will want a guy like Vasquez to get playing time every single day.  He might get a cup of coffee at the end of the year.

This could change, if Vasquez is RAKING in Pawtucket and someone goes down in August then I think he is no doubt the guy who comes up.  But if it is May or early June and they need another catcher then I highly doubt he gets the call.

Remember this the kid had over 20 passed balls last year, as good as his defense is...it has some holes and he has some things to work on. 

I'm assuming the first guy called up for because a catcher went on the DL, so whoever comes up will play enough to want who you think is best- not who needs to play everyday and develop more... to me that man is a close call between Butler and Vazquez. 

Vasquez had 3 at bats in Pawtucket last year.  If someone goes on the D.L. April 15th I'd be willing to bet Vasquez is not the guy.  If A.J. goes on the 15 day D.L. then Ross probably plays almost every day.  The Sox will let him start for a short period of time...I seriously doubt someone gets called up to become a starter...They didn't even do that with Bogaerts last year.  The Sox will NOT rush a guy.

And like I said, as good as Vasquez is, he is not a finished prospect and still has some things in his game to polish up.  Like cutting down on the passed balls. 

• You have chosen to ignore posts from soxnewmex. Show soxnewmex's posts

It's obvious Farrell is very high on Vazquez, for his defense and arm, and I think they've been pleasnatly surprised at how well he swings the bat.  Wouldn't be at all surprised to see him get the call if one of our aging catchers goes down.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Vasquez had 3 at bats in Pawtucket last year.  If someone goes on the D.L. April 15th I'd be willing to bet Vasquez is not the guy.  If A.J. goes on the 15 day D.L. then Ross probably plays almost every day.  The Sox will let him start for a short period of time...I seriously doubt someone gets called up to become a starter...They didn't even do that with Bogaerts last year.  The Sox will NOT rush a guy.

And like I said, as good as Vasquez is, he is not a finished prospect and still has some things in his game to polish up.  Like cutting down on the passed balls. 

If he cuts down 30 more runners trying to steal a base, I'll take 10 more PBs than the norm.

•  
  • You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to soxnewmex's comment:

It's obvious Farrell is very high on Vazquez, for his defense and arm, and I think they've been pleasnatly surprised at how well he swings the bat.  Wouldn't be at all surprised to see him get the call if one of our aging catchers goes down.

Like I said it depends on WHEN a player goes down.  He has 3 at bats above AA and the Sox have a long long reputation of developing catchers slowly.  And as good as Vasquez is he has some holes in his games.  He gets sloppy with runners on base and that leads to a LOT of passed balls.

If Vasquez was a MLB catcher last year he would have led ALL of MLB in passed balls by a long shot.

I agree he will make his MLB debut at some point this year....but in the early going Dan Butler is likely the first call up.  He has a whole season at Patucket and is more offensively advanced than Vasquez, he is also considered a PLUS defender at the position whose defense is good enough to make him a back up catcher at the MLB level.  The Sox brass have also been VERY impressed with how he catches a game.

If the Sox feel that Vasquez can still use some seasoning, then Butler is the guy.  If it is later in the season and vasquez is raking and he could be the guy.

Either way I think he gets an end of season cup of coffee, but depending on how and when things play out..I don't think he is the first guy up...not yet at least. 

• You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

If he cuts down 30 more runners trying to steal a base, I'll take 10 more PBs than the norm.

yes But Butler has a whole season at AAA and put up a .830 OPS last year and he is also considered a VERY strong defensive catcher.  I agree Vasquez is the better prospect (that's a no brainer) but RIGHT NOW...he might not be the first call up.  He still has to dethrown Butler, and Butler has done nothing to lose that opportunity.

Like I said, if Ross or AJ go down for a short stint on the D.L. the other guy (AJ or ROSS) will likely get the bulk of the playing time.  If the Sox think Butler is a capable back up catcher (and they do) they will not bring Vasquez up with very little experience at the AAA level to not get as much playing time.

That just goes against everything we have seen the Sox do the last several years.  We can't assume call ups based solely on prospect rankings.. 

•  
  • You have chosen to ignore posts from lasitter. Show lasitter's posts

"If he cuts down 30 more runners trying to steal a base, I'll take 10 more PBs than the norm."

I wonder how many of those PB were catching Wright (knuckle factor) ...

In response to lasitter's comment:

"If he cuts down 30 more runners trying to steal a base, I'll take 10 more PBs than the norm."

Well seeing how Vasquez caught 1 game in Pawtucket, and Wright pitched 0 games in Portland my guess would be........................ZERO

• You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Having endured the Latter Tek Days, when the Rays et al would basically announce over the PA system that they would run willy nilly every time they got on base (and then did exactly that), and then throwing a party when Salty progressed to the point where he could at least keep guys relatively honest:  the thought of having a Christian Vasquez behind the plate makes me light-headed and giddy.

In response to lasitter's comment:

I'm guessing not many, since he was not in AAA long.

In response to SpacemanEephus' comment:

Having endured the Latter Tek Days, when the Rays et al would basically announce over the PA system that they would run willy nilly every time they got on base (and then did exactly that), and then throwing a party when Salty progressed to the point where he could at least keep guys relatively honest:  the thought of having a Christian Vasquez behind the plate makes me light-headed and giddy.

I hear you, and have always said CS% is over-rated, but if a guy throws out 90% of base-stealers, that's a game-changer.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In response to SpacemanEephus' comment:

I hear you, and have always said CS% is over-rated, but if a guy throws out 90% of base-stealers, that's a game-changer.

To wit, I agree that CS% is over-rated.  Too many variables and much of it having to do with pitcher time to the plate.  However, the caution that an accurate cannon can instill in an opponent is perhaps underrated.  First-to-third is a difference maker.

CS% can be overated...but think of it this way.  by the time a runner goes from 1st to second half of it is spent with the pitcher in his delivery and pitching the other half is the catching popping up and throwing to second (roughly half and half)

We've seen what happens when a pitcher who is slow to the plate matches up with an average catcher.  Salty didn't have a bad arm, but he didn't have a good arm either and he got eaten up at times. 

I'm sure there are some pitchers that would send Vasquez's CS% down...but he's still going to be very successul compared to most, and won't look nearly as bad against base stealers as Salty and later day Tek did.

CS% can be overated...but think of it this way.  by the time a runner goes from 1st to second half of it is spent with the pitcher in his delivery and pitching the other half is the catching popping up and throwing to second (roughly half and half)

We've seen what happens when a pitcher who is slow to the plate matches up with an average catcher.  Salty didn't have a bad arm, but he didn't have a good arm either and he got eaten up at times. 

I'm sure there are some pitchers that would send Vasquez's CS% down...but he's still going to be very successul compared to most, and won't look nearly as bad against base stealers as Salty and later day Tek did.

The throw-out is a cherry on the sunday that is the catcher with a golden arm.  It is great to throw out runners.  But, as has been noted, that is not all on the catcher and there are many variables.  The real tasty sunday of the catcher with a golden arm:  it limits what opposing offenses dare to try with runners on base.  A hit and run prospect changes.  Leads shorten and first-to-thirds diminish.  Pitchers become less constrained in what they can throw with guys on base.  The threat of the golden arm is actually much more important than the occasional kill.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

I'm tired of being Lavarnway's 2nd biggest apologist ( behind my buddy Bill! )  but maybe the guy has been working on his weaknesses in the minors recently, as the Redsox probably told him to do. He did produce in the majors last year. He seems to be taking almost everything to RF until this spring at least. Pitchers just throw him outside pitches most of the time and those are tough to pull. He has been making that adjustment and I think he's probably a well above average hitting catcher already at this point. Once in a while they try to bust him up and in and he is looking for that pitch now, at least some of the time.

Giving his some rest by playing him at 1st once in a while probably helps his bat a little also.

One thing which seems to have gone unnoticed is that Lavarnway always started slow every year in the minors. He is the type of bat which needs reps to get started. Lots of sluggers are like that. He needs to get his timing down. Hopefully that comes easier for him each year going forward.

The guy is extremely intelligent and he seems to be working hard, staying in good shape after losing all that weight. He has mlb experience now. I don't get the Butler love. Butler wasn't even drafted was he? Has never put up anything spectacular in terms of numbers and isn't any younger than Lavarnway. If anyone gets released from the 40 man it is more likely to be Butler IMO.

Lavarnway still has options. I'm pretty sure he is our catcher depth parked down in AAA ball the first half of the year at least. And deservedly so. 

Carp appears to me to be the guy they are shopping more. He is to a degree duplicative with Nava in ability and role. And other teams want him more potentially. Carp is the guy who probably gets traded this Spring Training. I hope we get a solid return.

You already have Butler and Vasquez down in Pawtucket with Ross/AJ up at the big level.  At this point having 5 catchers on the 40 man seems a little redundant.  I wouldn't be surprised if the So cut or trade a catcher by the end of spring training.....with ONE of those catchers being Lavarnway or Butler.  

• You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

You already have Butler and Vasquez down in Pawtucket with Ross/AJ up at the big level.  At this point having 5 catchers on the 40 man seems a little redundant.  I wouldn't be surprised if the So cut or trade a catcher by the end of spring training.....with ONE of those catchers being Lavarnway or Butler.  

Lavarnway was never a good defender. His bat is what carried him up until this point. I think putting all that wear and tear on his big 6'4 frame as a catcher takes too much away from his bat. Id like to keep Lav and see how 1b works out, but i believe hes a MiL FA after this year, so time is ticking on his tenure here. I think they are showcasing him and Carp this spring as well.

Butler really impressed me each time i watched him play and Ive been high on Vasquez for 2 years now. The Sox should be just fine behind the dish.

• Sections
    Shortcuts