Last night's game

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from harv53. Show harv53's posts

Last night's game

After Salty's home run last night, I was thinking there was no way one run would stand up against TX. Then when I saw Pedey swing on a 1-0 pitch in which CC was running, I thought watch, he blew an opportunity to drive him in by taking the pitch, he'll probably get a base hit now. Sure enough, he did, and the Sox failed to score.
    After that inning the wheels came off and I saw myself watching a game in which we were so overmatched, it was pathetic. Even if Doubront gives up only two runs, we still lose.
    Look at the line-up TX has, and then look at ours. Look at TX pitching, then look at ours.
    Do you really think we can compete with teams like that? We are fooling ourselves to think we have a prayer of making the PS, let alone advance in it.

The offense has scored the most runs in the league yet we are under .500. Why is that? Because the pitching has given up too many?
    There is something missing from the make-up of this team. There just doesn't seem to be a winning attitude. I can't put my finger on it but I see something that other teams have, that Boston doesn't.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Re: Last night's game

In Response to Last night's game:
    [QUOTE]After Salty's home run last night, I was thinking there was no way one run would stand up against TX. Then when I saw Pedey swing on a 1-0 pitch in which CC was running, I thought watch, he blew an opportunity to drive him in by taking the pitch, he'll probably get a base hit now. Sure enough, he did, and the Sox failed to score. After that inning the wheels came off and I saw myself watching a game in which we were so overmatched, it was pathetic. Even if Doubront gives up only two runs, we still lose. Look at the line-up TX has, and then look at ours. Look at TX pitching, then look at ours. Do you really think we can compete with teams like that? We are fooling ourselves to think we have a prayer of making the PS, let alone advance in it. The offense has scored the most runs in the league yet we are under .500. Why is that? Because the pitching has given up too many? There is something missing from the make-up of this team. There just doesn't seem to be a winning attitude. I can't put my finger on it but I see something that other teams have, that Boston doesn't.
    Posted by harv53[/QUOTE]

First Place Team vs Last Place Team - not sure why you were so suprised?

Remember from 2003 through 2007 when we used to beat the heck out of Tampa?  And we just expected to sweep them every time?  Well, guess what - that is how OTHER teams now feel about the Red Sox.......The Rangers and yankees EXPECT to sweep these next 2 series.........

As I've been saying - Theo ran this team into the ground big time.  I've never seen anything like that before........

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

You can't be fooled by the Sox offense. While the pitching is now reverting too much to April form (both SPs and relievers struggling), the fact remains that the Sox offense is as schizoid as any out there. They either score a lot of runs in one game (thus the bloated numbers overall) and win those, and then turn right around and score very little or produce very little in most of their losses. That's why I've spent a lot of time trying to convince some of you that it's not just Lester/Beckett the pitching, Salty's d, etc. It is connected to the offense's lack of consistency, lack of just any good creation of runs via the regular style (moving runners over on  a hit and run, stealing bases, sacrificing, getting a 2-out single, getting a bases loaded walk used to be something that happened quite a bit in the Camelot days, but that is even hard to come by....they score by HRs and that's pretty much it of late...terrible). And that can be connected to the lost games to injury, but just as much connected to Pedroia's lack of production, AGON's prolonged slump in the first half, no production from CF/LF except for some on-base, but no RBI/HR either. A lot of reasons. The team is the perfect case of when they get offense, the pitching usually sucks, and when they get pitching, the offense usually sucks. It's a terrible recipe for losing. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

well, they are completely different team offensively without Ortiz, that's for sure

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

drew, they are this year for sure. Last year, I think that's when Lavarnway came up and hit a couple of bombs in KC as a replacement DH. How far has that guy's stock dropped? Apparently a lot.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

Biggest problem is pitching and the line up.  Pedy should nt be hitting at the 3 spot with a sore thumb.  Why not move him down and put Agonz/Ross/WMB at the 3 to 5 spots???

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

In Response to Re: Last night's game:
    [QUOTE]drew, they are this year for sure. Last year, I think that's when Lavarnway came up and hit a couple of bombs in KC as a replacement DH. How far has that guy's stock dropped? Apparently a lot.
    Posted by dannycater[/QUOTE]

Lava?  Terribly small sample size though.....

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

LMFAO, don't tell that to boom/crazed, who have made it a mission to remove Salty from the team. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

I mean really, we were so desperate last year and Salty was slumping that the guy it is hero in one game and he is the next Pudge........

As I said, I think a traditional platoon w/ Salty and Lava would work out really well in 2013 and beyond...

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

[QUOTE]After Salty's home run last night, I was thinking there was no way one run would stand up against TX. Then when I saw Pedey swing on a 1-0 pitch in which CC was running, I thought watch, he blew an opportunity to drive him in by taking the pitch, he'll probably get a base hit now. Sure enough, he did, and the Sox failed to score. After that inning the wheels came off and I saw myself watching a game in which we were so overmatched, it was pathetic. Even if Doubront gives up only two runs, we still lose. Look at the line-up TX has, and then look at ours. Look at TX pitching, then look at ours. Do you really think we can compete with teams like that? We are fooling ourselves to think we have a prayer of making the PS, let alone advance in it. The offense has scored the most runs in the league yet we are under .500. Why is that? Because the pitching has given up too many? There is something missing from the make-up of this team. There just doesn't seem to be a winning attitude. I can't put my finger on it but I see something that other teams have, that Boston doesn't.
    Posted by harv53[/QUOTE]

Consistency, for one.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

it was like watching an early fall college football game between Alabama and Eastern Tn State....we are not even in the same league as the Rangers...brutal

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

[QUOTE]drew, they are this year for sure. Last year, I think that's when Lavarnway came up and hit a couple of bombs in KC as a replacement DH. How far has that guy's stock dropped? Apparently a lot.
    Posted by dannycater[/QUOTE]

External scouts never rated Lava immensely high last year.  I think that internal and external scouts agree about his offensive potential (expect a .280-.290 avg, 20 HR pop).  Its just that's not good enough to warrant moving Ortiz.

To be honest a .280, 20 HR DH isnt that valuable.  Ibanez , Damon...all DHs who had a lot of trouble finding a team this year. 

Lava's stock is all about whether or not you think he will stick at catcher.  He's either an average DH (not very valuable), or an elite offensive catcher (valuable).

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALaGatorAL. Show ALaGatorAL's posts

Posted by harv53[/QUOTE]

Unless that was a hit and run, which I doubt, Pedroia had no business swinging at that pitch !! He had a 1 ball count and could obviously see Crawford already had the base stolen... A player playing for the team takes that pitch !! PERIOD !!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

Last night was a smackdown. The Rangers are a better team. Plain and simple. Doubront has not progressed at all. Expect more of the same the next two nights, and then again in New York this weekend. After that , expect a major sell off at the deadline. Beckett , Crawford, DiceK, Cook , Sweeney , Ross , Aviles , Punto , Nava and Shoppach should all be aggressively shopped. Get whatever you can for them. Eat salary if necessary. Bring up Iglesias , Lavarnway , Linares and possibly Bradley.  Bailey to close. Hopefully , Bard to set up. Morales , Aceves and/or Padilla to the rotation. Do not trade any of our top prospects for a so called " ace." I don't see any other way at this point. Mistakes made over the winter are still hurting us now. It is time for major changes.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

[QUOTE]Last night was a smackdown. The Rangers are a better team. Plain and simple. Doubront has not progressed at all. Expect more of the same the next two nights, and then again in New York this weekend. After that , expect a major sell off at the deadline. Beckett , Crawford, DiceK, Cook , Sweeney , Ross , Aviles , Punto , Nava and Shoppach should all be aggressively shopped. Get whatever you can for them. Eat salary if necessary. Bring up Iglesias , Lavarnway , Linares and possibly Bradley.  Bailey to close. Hopefully , Bard to set up. Morales , Aceves and/or Padilla to the rotation. Do not trade any of our top prospects for a so called " ace." I don't see any other way at this point. Mistakes made over the winter are still hurting us now. It is time for major changes.
    Posted by dgalehouse[/QUOTE]

I don't see them shopping Beckett, gale. Ross signed a one year deal, so he's free to go. Dice K will be a FA, also. Think Nava will go back to Pawtucket. If this has proven anything, the FO trying to do it the yankee way is not the way to go. The Sox don't generate the revenue the NYY do and can't afford the strangle hold of  bad FA contracts. Sox need to get back to basics and build the farm system. I also think Valentine needs to be one and done.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from CWM. Show CWM's posts

Why are the Red Sox talking trade????? they suck.

get rid of Lucchino and Valentine, get a decent pitching coach and turn this around with the talent we have. 

Valentine is dysfunctional and so is Lucchino. why are wasting pedroia and Ellsbury with these two idiots???

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

[QUOTE]Why are the Red Sox talking trade????? they suck. get rid of Lucchino and Valentine, get a decent pitching coach and turn this around with the talent we have.  Valentine is dysfunctional and so is Lucchino. why are wasting pedroia and Ellsbury with these two idiots???
    Posted by CWM[/QUOTE]
    Lucchino is one of the owners.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

I'll lay you 2-1 odds that they don't get out of the compound alive...So Texas is a better team, and Doubront isn't progressing, and Pedroia is not recognizing straight steals, and Salty is hurting the staff, etc...I would not be surprised if the Sox win the next 2 games just by osmosis alone.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Last night's game : I don't see them shopping Beckett, gale. Ross signed a one year deal, so he's free to go. Dice K will be a FA, also. Think Nava will go back to Pawtucket. If this has proven anything, theo and the FO trying to do it the yankee way, is not the way to go. The Sox don't generate the revenue the NYY do and can't afford the strangle hold of bad FA contracts. Sox need to get back to basics and build the farm system
    Posted by J-BAY[/QUOTE]
    I think they would be happy to find a taker for Beckett.  Agree about the farm system. We have some very good prospects right now. Some fans want to deal them away to acquire an ace like King Felix. That would be a huge mistake. Just like Beckett , Felix could lose velocity and cease being a dominant pitcher. A strong five man rotation is more important than a so called ace , of which there are very few. Building with youth is the way to go.

Sections
Shortcuts