Last place two of the last three years. Acceptable?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

Last place two of the last three years. Acceptable?

These quitters (or losers or bums...take your pick) will be finishing last again this year. That will make two last place finishes in three years. Despite the ring in between, this level of play is totally unacceptable. The problem is, we are losing our best SP and it looks like the rotation will be headed up by Lackey and Buchholz next year. Its not going to get any better for many years folks.

WE ARE ALL JUST POPPYSEEDS IN THE BAKERY OF LIFE

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Re: Last place two of the last three years. Acceptable?

Acceptable is kind of a funny term for a sports team though.  What does it mean to not accept it?  Pitchforks and torches, or just complaining on a message board?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Acceptable never seems to apply to my electricity bills...I hate that.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from az55. Show az55's posts

Acceptable no. Another high draft pick? Yes.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

Can i send the Red Sox my Directv MLB extra innings bill for the season if i find it unacceptable???

FTR...if every 3 years (since that is the sample size of the OP) = 2 last place finishes + 1 WS ring....sign me up

other names i have posted under:  none

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jerrynewyork. Show jerrynewyork's posts

with a World Series win in 2013, yes. Now if you are a season ticket holder or don't have hockey to get you through  to next spring,well it might be a long year.

"the world is full of crashing bores"-Morrissey

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:
    [QUOTE]

These quitters (or losers or bums...take your pick) will be finishing last again this year. That will make two last place finishes in three years. Despite the ring in between, this level of play is totally unacceptable. The problem is, we are losing our best SP and it looks like the rotation will be headed up by Lackey and Buchholz next year. Its not going to get any better for many years folks.

[/QUOTE]

The starting pitching will be fine. They need another hitter and they need Bradley, Bogaerts, and Middlebrooks to play up to potential. Also the need to find a spot for Betts. This team is only a couple changes from being a 90 win team if the younger hitters develop.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

Also calling a bunch of players under 25 bums or quitters is unfair. In 2012 it was a case of a bunch if vets under performing, this year it is a bunch of kids playing over their heads.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

In response to BosoxJoe5's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

The starting pitching will be fine. They need another hitter and they need Bradley, Bogaerts, and Middlebrooks to play up to potential. Also the need to find a spot for Betts. This team is only a couple changes from being a 90 win team if the younger hitters develop.

[/QUOTE]

A couple of changes? How many starting pitchers do the Red Sox need for next year, 3?

It's a big if saying about the younger hitters developing. A big if.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from AL34. Show AL34's posts

How about missing playoffs 4 of 5 years.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

A couple of Common Denominators:

Same ownership

Same GM

Ownership should really review the GM.

I have suggested moving JF to GM--I firmly believe that would be a positive change.

When you look at his previous managerial experience it was somewhat shaky--154-170

over two seasons in Toronto.

In 1 and 2/3 seasons managing in Boston, including the post season,  he is 156 and 128.

This season's record is 48-58 with 56 games to play. Unless something changes dramatically

JF could have a losing record over two seasons in Boston when the season ends.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BogieAt12oclock. Show BogieAt12oclock's posts

In response to slasher9's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Can i send the Red Sox my Directv MLB extra innings bill for the season if i find it unacceptable???

FTR...if every 3 years (since that is the sample size of the OP) = 2 last place finishes + 1 WS ring....sign me up

other names i have posted under:  none

[/QUOTE]

I can pretty much guarantee the last place finishes for the next few years. What happened in 2013 was a miracle that only happens once in a lifetime. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnnyLefty. Show JohnnyLefty's posts

With a World Series win in between? I'll take it

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

It's an interesting question since that seldom happens.

Off the top of my head, I'd have to say that it is more than acceptable.  Here's my figuring-

We've won the WSC 3 times in 10 years.  Ignoring the BV error, that is the same percentage.

Again ignoring the BV error, was there much difference in any of the 6 losing years?  I guess 2008 was better than 2005, but not so much that I really care.

So I agree with Pumpsie that one WSC more than offsets two last place finishes.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to AL34's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

I'll take this one also if they are sandwiched in between WCS's.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

It is really kind of mind boggling that a team could finish dead last one year, win it all the next year, then finish dead last again the following year. Weird.

Stabbed by Foulke.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

The way I look at it is this:  Is there another team that I would trade places with in terms of overall success since this ownership group took over?   Not a chance.  So yes, this is acceptable.  I don't like it one bit, but I can accept it based on overall year to year success.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to AL34's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

There is that too. Many posters here seem to accept the status quo, but over the past five years this team has been good just once. Unacceptable IMO for a team with such a high budget. Unfortunately, when Lester leaves, the SR is going to be very very thin, barring a huge and unexpected jump in level from our minor league SP. This management team will not pay what it takes to get top name players.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I'm extremely happy with one ring in 3 years, and 3 out of 11.

We have some decent core players: Papi, Pedey, Napoli, Lackey & JBJ.

We have some good young players looking to make the next big step up.

We have a top 3 farm system.

We will have a nice high draft pick every round.

We have $80M to spend this winter.

All is not as bleak as some think it is.

Sox4ever

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

The current ownership and front office team can rightly take credit for the three championships. However, there are a few things to keep in mind. The previous ownership put together some truly wonderful teams. But the one big play ( too numerous to mention, but you know what I mean ) always went against us. It continued into 2003 with the Little decision and the inevitable walk off loss. All of that changed three outs away from being swept in the 2004 ALCS, with the almost universally recognized greatest closer of all time on the hill. Everything turned around from that moment. With success comes confidence. The big plays, in the big moments started to go our way. When you look at it, so much of that came as a result of David Ortiz' heroics. You can credit ownership for acquiring Ortiz, but certainly they never expected that he would be this kind of force. Back to the present: In baseball , or in any business, you can never become complacent. There is too much competition out there. The Sox front office blew it this off season. While some on here still refuse to admit it, I really hope the Sox management team realizes the mistake and takes steps to rectify things starting right now. You need to put an exciting, competitive team on the field consistently. It is unrealistic to think you will win it all every time, or nearly every time, you make the playoffs. So, yes let's be grateful for the three championships . But let's not give ownership a pass for it. Every baseball season is an adventure. This one has not been much fun. 

Stabbed by Foulke.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

We'll have to spend the $80M wisely. I doubt we can win with even one mistake like $13M for Dempster in 2013 or $10M for Drew in 2014.

We'll probably also have to trade away some of the future to get a key piece, but if we make some moves to stockpile prospects now, that impact can be minimized or even overcome.

I'm not saying I have 100% confidence in our management to make all the right moves and put together a challenger for next year, but the resources (money & prospects) are there to do it.

Sox4ever

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

Everyone hates losing but this is part of being a fan of a team.  You have some good years, some really great years and some bad ones.  

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonfan191646. Show bostonfan191646's posts

If all my teams can be last place two out of three years, but win the championship the other year, I'd be ecstatic

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

Yes it is acceptable, but only because of the ring we won. However that made it more than fine. So, to answer your question, yes. 

I'm disappointed you would call these guys bums - the problem is largely talent and personnel - not effort. If every single offseason decision you make ends up being a bad one, your team is going to stink. This is not a case of an uber-talented team that quit. We saw that too a couple years back. Please make some distinctions.

"Its not going to get any better for many years folks."

Well, that is largely up to the fans. If the fans keep selling out Fenway, and more importantly, watching the games on TV, then yes, it won't change. 

But, if the fans stop watching the games in disgust and protest, and the ratings go way down, then the Sox will be compelled to spend like a big market team again and they will (probably) get better because when you have money to spend, it does help. No guarantees but it can have an impact. 

So, it all depends on what kind of team fans are willing to put up with. If the Sox lose Lester, that's a good time to vote with your eyeballs and wallet. 

Otherwise, yeah, we might be bad for a while pretending we are a small or mid market team.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sobchack. Show Sobchack's posts

Unacceptable?   I dunno.  Not really.  I'd say "disappointing."  A WS last year after 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012.  Then, 2013 - a strange surprise for all.  Accidentally, I would say.  I don't think even the FO had any inkling that 2013 would yield a WS.

It's baseball.  It's what prognostications and all kinds of statistical analyses can't tell you: it's played on the field.  To make the point further: look at Toronto - last year they were supposed to be the team to beat; this year they are playing "up" to their spending spree of 2013.  Strange reversals, huh?

Sections
Shortcuts