latest Cuban defector Abreu: Sox interest?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from richdude. Show richdude's posts

latest Cuban defector Abreu: Sox interest?

Wondering what the thoughts are of if the Sox will have a serious interest in Abreu having defected from Cuba.  Seems to fit.  How good is he?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnnyLefty. Show JohnnyLefty's posts

Re: latest Cuban defector Abreu: Sox interest?

Alright made a post about him http://www.boston.com/community/forums/sports/red-sox/on-the-front-burner/could-this-player-be-our-long-term-solution-at-1st-base/100/6773137

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Seems like a big risk, but the talent coming it of Cuba has panned out lately and this guy is supposed to be the most elite hitter out of Cuba in ten years.

Id say take the leap, who else is going to play 1B in 2014?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

Scouts are split on this guy.  Big money is expected to be thrown and big risk.  26 yr old 1B already looks like DH which could be a fit after Ortiz retires.  Not sure if Sox will go hard atfer him.  I think Sox will fall short and finish 2nd again behind the Rangers.  And if the Yankees jump in, it will be a brutal bidding war.  Jose can be a fit for Yanks too.  

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from MustangBri. Show MustangBri's posts

In response to seannybboi's comment:

Scouts are split on this guy.  Big money is expected to be thrown and big risk.  26 yr old 1B already looks like DH which could be a fit after Ortiz retires.  Not sure if Sox will go hard atfer him.  I think Sox will fall short and finish 2nd again behind the Rangers.  And if the Yankees jump in, it will be a brutal bidding war.  Jose can be a fit for Yanks too.  

Where?  They already have a team full of 1B/DH's. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazyworldoftroybrown. Show crazyworldoftroybrown's posts

Looked good in WBC, guy is a Moose.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazyworldoftroybrown. Show crazyworldoftroybrown's posts

2010-11 season he hit, .453, scored 79 runs, 93 rbi's, 33 HRS, in 66 games. You absolutely have to give this guy a look-see. Missed 23 games that year, tied Cespedes for HR title on last day.

Reading his international stats, this guy is ridiculous.

11-12 season .394, 35 HRS, 99 rbi's.  Unless Cuba is Pitching underhand, these are amazing numbers. This guy is going to get Big Bucks.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Eddymon. Show Eddymon's posts

In response to seannybboi's comment:

Scouts are split on this guy.  Big money is expected to be thrown and big risk.  26 yr old 1B already looks like DH which could be a fit after Ortiz retires.  Not sure if Sox will go hard atfer him.  I think Sox will fall short and finish 2nd again behind the Rangers.  And if the Yankees jump in, it will be a brutal bidding war.  Jose can be a fit for Yanks too.  

I think the Yankees would prefer a left handed hitting player for that money and position given that short right field porch.   This is a guy the Sox must go after, fills 2 needs, a firstbaseman and an Ortiz replacement if he isn't that good with the glove.   If he is good with the glove then a DH is far easier to find to replace Papi.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazyworldoftroybrown. Show crazyworldoftroybrown's posts

Finished WBC .360 3 HRS, 9 rbi's. Nelson Cruz 0 HRS .303, Miggy 1 HR .333. I know small sample, just trying to compare what some did to this guy.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

Sox should always be active in the foreign free agent market. 

Stabbed by Foulke.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

In response to dgalehouse's comment:

Sox should always be active in the foreign free agent market. 

Stabbed by Foulke.

Agreed. This guy sounds like a stud...hope the Sox do look into him, although I'm sure there will be a number of teams interested.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

My only concern is how his skill set will translate to MLB pitching.  Yes I understand his numbers looks good and other Cubans have had tremendous success.  But numbers don't tell the whole story, I've heard he has average bat speed which may or may not translate into MLB success.  He could just be a guy who attacks and just destroys mistake pitches and weaker pitchers and could get shut down in the MLB.

If he's a bust 60 million is ALOT to spend, but if he is as good as some scouts say he is....then 60 Million is a steal.  We'd spend a lot more than that in FA to get a great hitting firstbaseman. 

13. This post has been removed.