Lavarnway Again

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

Lavarnway Again

Just wanted to let everyone know Lavarnway's line tonight in the Pawsox 4-1 win.

AB - 3
    R - 2
    H - 3
    2B - 1
    HR - 1
    RBI - 3

Average is now up to .381
    SLUG = .721
    OPS = 1.180

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Re: Lavarnway Again

Pretty lucky guy, that Lavarnway. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

yeah I've been following him.....saw that 3 fo 3 line tonight.

I know it's a little unrelated, but Middlebrooks is having a good night too.

2-4 with a HR 2B and 4 RBI's.

Theres a lot to be excited about in the minor league system. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

DH of the future?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

He should get called up in September and get some at bats.  Looking forward to it.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxpride34. Show redsoxpride34's posts

I think if lavarnway improves his defensive skills we could be looking at our catcher of the future. Cant wait till he gets to the majors and I think will middbrooks will be a really good player to one day and is our future 3B. he is great defensively and his well. I think the best mlb comparison for him is ryan zimmerman. Very similar skill set.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

The RS IMO will not rush the situation and won't be looking to take a short cut by making him a DH. They will take thr time to refine his skills as a catcher because the positional value of a hitting catcher is so much higher that that of a DH.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from jader. Show jader's posts

Best prospect we have, Yale guy, was told in Spring training his defensive skills were subpar. Nw this guy has soared through our system and will replace Salty, mark my words

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

He's hot as a firecracker right now. No question about it.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In Response to Re: Lavarnway Again:
    [QUOTE]The RS IMO will not rush the situation and won't be looking to take a short cut by making him a DH. They will take thr time to refine his skills as a catcher because the positional value of a hitting catcher is so much higher that that of a DH.
    Posted by fivekatz[/QUOTE]

Soooooo true.

There's no hurry to bring him up now, but the way he is hitting...

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxpride34. Show redsoxpride34's posts

ya no point in rushing him up to dh him. And ya i agree he will take over for salty before long and salty will take over for tek as the back up. I have heard that lavarnway is not that great defensively and could still use some work behind the dish, but how much worse than salty can he be? Looking at his minor league fielding stats, he has a career .993 fielding percentage and has thrown out 31% of runners. This year between AA and AAA he has .997 fielding percentage and has thrown out 35 % of runners attempting to steal. Also, according to soxprospects.com he has a projectable catchers frame. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigpanther98. Show bigpanther98's posts

I wouldn't count out Salty just yet. He has his issues, but he is improving. His throwing out runners numbers have improved throughout the season. I'm not confident that Lavernway will stay a catcher. Red Sox scouts have described his catching prowess as subpar, so they're actually probably being more diplomatic than others. When he was at Yale, he started out as an outfielder but was converted into a catcher half way through his sophomore season partly because of his subpar defense out there. He's an excellent prospect, but I wouldn't be suprised if 1B or full-time DH were his future.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigpanther98. Show bigpanther98's posts

As an aside, wouldn't it be cool if, for one game during September, the Sox wheeled out a starting lineup of
    Salty - C
    Anderson - 1B
    Navarro - 2B
    Middlebrooks - 3B
    Iglesias - SS
    Kalish - LF
    Reddick - CF
    Lin - RF
    Lavernway - DH

Halfway through the game, Lin comes out for Nava, Sutton replaces one of the infielders, Exposito comes in for Salty, Khoury replaces Navarro, and Daeges, if healthy, replaces Reddick. Doubront would start with Matt Fox, Michael Bowden, Brandon Duckworth, and Tony Pena all pitching in relief. On top of that, Bruce Crabbe could be the manager for the day with Rich Gedman as his bench coach, Chili Davis as the hitting coach, and Bob Kipper as the pitching coach. Just like little league...in its approach.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxPatsCelts1988. Show SoxPatsCelts1988's posts

Salty is a free agent after this year is over so the Sox have to figure out what to do here.  He can get a multi year deal from someone and I'm not sure the Sox will commit to that unless Varitek decides to retire.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In Response to Re: Lavarnway Again:
    [QUOTE]Salty is a free agent after this year is over so the Sox have to figure out what to do here.  He can get a multi year deal from someone and I'm not sure the Sox will commit to that unless Varitek decides to retire.
    Posted by SoxPatsCelts1988[/QUOTE]

No, Hes 1st year arb eligible in 2012, SPC..Salty is not a FA til 2015

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from aussiewill. Show aussiewill's posts

Lavarnway, gets a "D" as a catcher. Unfortunately, not from me but from the Red Sox PR mill. The guy can obviously hit , he has a brain, one would think so since he graduated from Yale. But alas he will be included in a trade for Carlos Betran, an over the hill outfielder, who will replace another over the hill outfielder JD what's his name. Don't get excited Lavarnway will never play in Boston, not as long as Saltamachhia is still above ground. He off the Kosher Butcher's man lust.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from mparry. Show mparry's posts

Lavarnway is constantly improving.  Give him a little more time.  Sox would be fools to trade him.  He can hit for average and HR, he's hits with men on base (look at his RBIs), he's smart, he's big, and he throws well.  He has all the tools to be an all star catcher.

19. This post has been removed.

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from siestafiesta. Show siestafiesta's posts

Lavarnway is not currently on the 40 man roster so they can't just bring him up for a few days to replace Ortiz without making some other roster moves.

And to the poster that judges a catcher's defense by spewing his fielding %, good luck with that.  There is so much more that goes into the C position.

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

Siestafiesta is right. It would seem that some roster moves are coming soon though, before the deadline and I think prospects will be a big part of that.

Remember when Ellsbury put up a 400 average for a little over 100 AB in AA ball and everyone was clamoring to bring him up, pegging him as a future star and then we eventually brought him up and he did well going into the playoffs? Well, Lavarnway is blowing away those numbers with a .381 average in 120 AB but with a LOT more pop. Lavarnway has got to be getting some national attention at this point. He's got to be considered a top prospect now even though the lists do not reflect that reality yet.

He's not a career minor league guy who is having a great hitting streak. He's only been in AAA ball for a little over a month but he is demolishing that league right from the get go. He's also helped his defensive numbers a lot. If he isn't a December call up, I wouldn't know who is?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

It seems to me at least that Bard and Reddick are becoming men right before our eyes. The testosterone is flowing. They are fighting for a mlb job and scratching and clawing for the top right now. They are becoming part of the foundation of this team.

Look at the grit in Bard's face now. I didn't see that before. Look at the comments from the announcers after that catch in the 16 inning game about Reddick. When people see his defense people's eyes start to pop out. They see the numbers and then they see a play like that. He has to have at least a 40 inch vertical leap to make a catch like that. No one else on the team makes that catch. No one.

If we can get anywhere near a 300 average with 20 HR out of RF, with defense like Reddick can provide, we are so much better than we have been. One could say that with the recent loss of pitching and our ability to still lead the division recently, that Reddick has to be considered a big part of that.

What if Lavarnway comes up also and starts being a part of that mix? What a lineup! Guys like Lavarnway hitting 8th? Come on. That is off the charts.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from WE5NUTS. Show WE5NUTS's posts

Uh, I really hope that Selig and his minions don't make the playoffs so long that there are December call-ups, Boom.

Sections
Shortcuts