Lavarnway Again

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from therimrattler. Show therimrattler's posts

Re: Lavarnway Again

larvarnway is hitting at a terrific pace at pawtucket, but no need to bring him up just yet AND absoluetly no good enough reason to trade him for a rental outfielder.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

In Response to Re: Lavarnway Again:
     Uh, I really hope that Selig and his minions don't make the playoffs so long that there are December call-ups, Boom.
    Posted by WE5NUTS

If so then I hope Lavarnway is "Mr. December"!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

It seems to me at least that Bard and Reddick are becoming men right before our eyes. The testosterone is flowing. They are fighting for a mlb job and scratching and clawing for the top right now. They are becoming part of the foundation of this team. Look at the grit in Bard's face now. I didn't see that before. Look at the comments from the announcers after that catch in the 16 inning game about Reddick. When people see his defense people's eyes start to pop out. They see the numbers and then they see a play like that. He has to have at least a 40 inch vertical leap to make a catch like that. No one else on the team makes that catch. No one. If we can get anywhere near a 300 average with 20 HR out of RF, with defense like Reddick can provide, we are so much better than we have been. One could say that with the recent loss of pitching and our ability to still lead the division recently, that Reddick has to be considered a big part of that. What if Lavarnway comes up also and starts being a part of that mix? What a lineup! Guys like Lavarnway hitting 8th? Come on. That is off the charts.
    Posted by Boomerangsdotcom

Reddick is hitting around 240 in over 700 AAA at bats.  I don't know why he would turn into a ML 300 hitter.  He is streaky.  He will come back down.  With that said he is still way better then Drew right now.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

It seems to me at least that Bard and Reddick are becoming men right before our eyes. The testosterone is flowing. They are fighting for a mlb job and scratching and clawing for the top right now. They are becoming part of the foundation of this team. Look at the grit in Bard's face now. I didn't see that before. Look at the comments from the announcers after that catch in the 16 inning game about Reddick. When people see his defense people's eyes start to pop out. They see the numbers and then they see a play like that. He has to have at least a 40 inch vertical leap to make a catch like that. No one else on the team makes that catch. No one. If we can get anywhere near a 300 average with 20 HR out of RF, with defense like Reddick can provide, we are so much better than we have been. One could say that with the recent loss of pitching and our ability to still lead the division recently, that Reddick has to be considered a big part of that. What if Lavarnway comes up also and starts being a part of that mix? What a lineup! Guys like Lavarnway hitting 8th? Come on. That is off the charts.

good stuff right there!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I could see the Sox making a 2 or 3 for 1 deal and then add Lavarnway to the 40-man roster. However, the way Salty and VTek are playing and Papi DH'ing (looking beyond their July numbers), I don't see him getting much playing time in Boston.

I think Theo wants to get Lavarnway as much catching defense experience as possible. We may need him this year in case of injury or in September, but my guess is that Theo is looking to Lavarnway as VTek's replacement next year. I suppose he could also be Papi's replacement at DH, but I seriously doubt Theo lets Papi walk (esp to the Yanks).

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from 111SoxFan111. Show 111SoxFan111's posts

Moon - Do you really think the FO will go with Salty/Lavarnway next year and cut Tek loose?  Salty has definitely worked a ways toward increasing everyone's comfort level but he is still fairly unproven and Lavarnway may hit cover off the ball but he isn't exactly a lock behind the plate.  That's putting a lot of eggs in unproven hands on the defensive side of the position.  I feel like the FO would have a hard time not bringing Tek back if: 1) he can be had at a reasonable cost 2) he continues to perform at the current level; 3) he isn't injured.  

I'm not saying 2012 would finish up with the Salty/Tek tandem (I think it's very unlikely), but if Tek can be brought back for $3m, I think they would view that as a reasonable cost for insurance / a bridge ... especially if that means Lavarnway can get 2-3 more months of consistent defensive work in AAA.

Of course, if Lavarnway comes up on roster expansion and puts up fireworks all bets are off.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

I agree that they should bring Tek back again next year, if only to catch Beckett! But if Ortiz is let go why not add Lavarnway to the roster?

Maybe it's just me but I'm starting to see Tek do his hitting swan dive again this year. We could use Lavarnway soon in my opinion.

Pawtucket's season will be over before long. Also, Lavarnway doesn't really catch much anyway. He works on his catching skills on the side. He can do that at the mlb level anyway.

Finally, it seems pretty clear by now that Lavarnway needs to go up a level to continue his hitting development. He is dominating AAA ball like no one in baseball right now. We can add him as a September call up. We is a definite September call up if he is still healthy. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

I agree that they should bring Tek back again next year, if only to catch Beckett! But if Ortiz is let go why not add Lavarnway to the roster? Maybe it's just me but I'm starting to see Tek do his hitting swan dive again this year. We could use Lavarnway soon in my opinion. Pawtucket's season will be over before long. Also, Lavarnway doesn't really catch much anyway. He works on his catching skills on the side. He can do that at the mlb level anyway. Finally, it seems pretty clear by now that Lavarnway needs to go up a level to continue his hitting development. He is dominating AAA ball like no one in baseball right now. We can add him as a September call up. We is a definite September call up if he is still healthy. 
    There's a couple of glitches here Boom.

First, letting Ortiz walk will be painful and if there is a reasonable deal to be had, the RS will make it. He is just a DH but he is an elite DH. His absence from the batting order jumped off the page in interleague games. This is the number 5 hitter in the line-up, producing at high rate. If there is a deal to be made it will be made.

Second, using Lavarnway as DH to get him up to MLB sooner is short sighted. How many great hitting catchers are there in baseball at any time? By giving Lavarnway more time to develop his catching skills, the RS have the luxury of having a light hitting SS like Iggy, assuming his hitting improves. Time will allow both players to improve those facets of their games.

In the meantime, Salty and Tek are working out better than many including myslef thought they would. Salty deserves a lot of credit for not having rabbit ears in April. But he remains a human passed ball at this point and certainly not a long term road block for Ryan.

Now injury could always rush the time table but right now why rush it? Adversity always presents itself in this game at every level, so why not let Lavarnway have run at AAA adversity, sharpen all the various elements of catching and then bring him up a fully polished player in the best position to succeed?

Currently the RS are in position where they can do just that.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

In Response to Re: Lavarnway Again : There's a couple of glitches here Boom. First, letting Ortiz walk will be painful and if there is a reasonable deal to be had, the RS will make it. He is just a DH but he is an elite DH. His absence from the batting order jumped off the page in interleague games. This is the number 5 hitter in the line-up, producing at high rate. If there is a deal to be made it will be made. Second, using Lavarnway as DH to get him up to MLB sooner is short sighted. How many great hitting catchers are there in baseball at any time? By giving Lavarnway more time to develop his catching skills, the RS have the luxury of having a light hitting SS like Iggy, assuming his hitting improves. Time will allow both players to improve those facets of their games. In the meantime, Salty and Tek are working out better than many including myslef thought they would. Salty deserves a lot of credit for not having rabbit ears in April. But he remains a human passed ball at this point and certainly not a long term road block for Ryan. Now injury could always rush the time table but right now why rush it? Adversity always presents itself in this game at every level, so why not let Lavarnway have run at AAA adversity, sharpen all the various elements of catching and then bring him up a fully polished player in the best position to succeed? Currently the RS are in position where they can do just that.
    Posted by fivekatz

And yet, many RS fans have their homer glasses on by thinking Salty is better than Martin. I could never say that about you; another great post.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

In Response to Re: Lavarnway Again : And yet, many RS fans have their homer glasses on by thinking Salty is better than Martin. I could never say that about you; another great post.
    Posted by nhsteven

I'd love to see Martin catch a knuckleballer.  It's also be a more interesting debate if Martin was hitting above .200 since May 1st.  Thanks for sticking to the subject though.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

Also, Lavarnway doesn't really catch much anyway. He works on his catching skills on the side. He can do that at the mlb level anyway. 

He's caught about 50% of the games at AAA since his call up.  I'm not sure I see your point here.  It would be nice to have him working with Tek and Tuck, although not at the expense of AB's, PT and service time.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from tom-uk. Show tom-uk's posts

He's caught about 50% of the games at AAA since his call up.

I am very surprised by this, why would they not give him more time behind the plate? 

By giving Lavarnway more time to develop his catching skills,

Logical but they aren't

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

He's caught about 50% of the games at AAA since his call up. I am very surprised by this, why would they not give him more time behind the plate?   By giving Lavarnway more time to develop his catching skills, Logical but they aren't
    Posted by tom-uk

Then what would they do with Exposito?

I think absent Ortiz, it would be great to carry 3 catchers and have both Salty and Lavarnway in the lineup most days, alternating between C and DH.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

He's caught about 50% of the games at AAA since his call up. I am very surprised by this, why would they not give him more time behind the plate?   By giving Lavarnway more time to develop his catching skills, Logical but they aren't
    Posted by tom-uk

Because they have another catching prospect at AAA as well (Luis Exposito).  If Exposito continues to struggle, he may start to see less playing time though.  He's only hitting .218/.278/.338 on the year although he has a track record of a good offensive catcher, who needs a little more work defensively as well.  Last winter was the first time he posted an OPS below .750 since he played in Greenville in 2007 (30 AB's) or Lowell in 2006 (208 AB's).

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from tom-uk. Show tom-uk's posts

Exposito is a longer shot now Lavarnway should be getting 80% of the starts.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

Exposito is a longer shot now Lavarnway should be getting 80% of the starts.
    Posted by tom-uk

Then you take away any trade value Expo has.  He's proven he can hit at every level and is a better defender than Lavarnway.  He needs to be getting playing time.  I wouldn't be surprised to see him moved at the deadline in order to free up a spot on the 40 man roster and to help boost the MLB team make a push in the playoffs.  Until he's traded, he needs a chance to get back on track offensively to rebuild his trade value.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from tom-uk. Show tom-uk's posts

In Response to Re: Lavarnway Again : Then you take away any trade value Expo has.  He's proven he can hit at every level and is a better defender than Lavarnway.  He needs to be getting playing time.  I wouldn't be surprised to see him moved at the deadline in order to free up a spot on the 40 man roster and to help boost the MLB team make a push in the playoffs.  Until he's traded, he needs a chance to get back on track offensively to rebuild his trade value.
    Posted by JB-3

All due respect but IMO rebuilding his trade value is not nearly as important as getting Lavarnway most of the catching experience. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

In Response to Re: Lavarnway Again : All due respect but IMO rebuilding his trade value is not nearly as important as getting Lavarnway most of the catching experience.  
    Posted by tom-uk

And if Lavarnway can't stick at C, what do you do now that you stunted your most developed catching prospect?

Lavarnway should be able to contribute at the MLB level, I'm not arguing that he won't.  However, it is still up for debate if he field his position well enough to stick at C, or if he will have to move to DH.  That's why he needs the PT at C in AAA, I get that, but you can't just not play your other C prospect and stop his development.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

In Response to Re: Lavarnway Again : I'd love to see Martin catch a knuckleballer.  It's also be a more interesting debate if Martin was hitting above .200 since May 1st.  Thanks for sticking to the subject though.
    Posted by JB-3

Varitek is not really good at the knuckler, FWIW; you keep your 4A guy, I'll keep my All Star as selected by his peers.

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

In Response to Re: Lavarnway Again : Varitek is not really good at the knuckler, FWIW; you keep your 4A guy, I'll keep my All Star as selected by his peers.
    Posted by nhsteven

Thanks for making my point.  Good defensive catchers give up a lot of PB's when catching a knuckleball.  That's why Salty's PB's are up since coming to Boston.

I'll take the guy who's actually producing at the plate and is making $750K, while you guys pay ~$5M (assuming 120 games at catcher with an additional $75K for every 5 games at catcher) for a catcher who hasn't hit above .200 since May 1st.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

In Response to Re: Lavarnway Again : Varitek is not really good at the knuckler, FWIW; you keep your 4A guy, I'll keep my All Star as selected by his peers.
    Posted by nhsteven

Salty is 4th in OPS among AL Catchers.  At what point does he graduate from 4A?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

Again!  2 for 3 tonight with another double and another HR!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

Again!  2 for 3 tonight with another double and another HR!
    Posted by slomag

OPS is up to .772 this year.  That's quite impressive for a "4A" catcher.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

I think Exposito is a non issue at this point. The Sox selected a catcher #1 right. They have Fedex # 2 on their depth chart and even brought back Wagner. Exposito is probably a career minor league guy if he stays with it at this point. If anything he is in retrograde mode.

They specifically said they wanted to not put Lavarnway in games as a catcher much because they thought he would improve faster by using his energy in separate workouts. Drills to improve his PB percentage, throwing out runners...etc. They specifically said that they wanted to continue to do that rather than put him in games more. I think they can do that at the mlb level just as well. And BTW, it seems to be working.

Lavarnway is a September call up. No question about it IMO.

Sections
Shortcuts