Lavarnway Again

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

Re: Lavarnway Again

Katz, I'm hip to the fact that they appreciate Ortiz a lot and they probably do resign him. I'm just making a case that it may not work out that way for the reasons I cited, which do have some credence also IMO.

#1 ) 2 picks are worth a lot and if we hang onto Ortiz we probably lose them. Offer him arbitration but let him go effectively while he still has some value.

#2) Money will be at a premium next year. We could use it for other things. We could save over $10 mil per year with this move not just this year but possibly up to 3 years.

# 3) Lavarnway sure seems like he is knocking on the door. He's got the best numbers of any MILB we have had for quite a few years now. He's probably readyas a hitter and as a DH it's not that risky.

#4) Increased roster flexibility is a significant factor.

I do agree that Ortiz has put up great numbers and they probably keep him but I think it's more like a 60/40 call with how things go the rest of the year being a big factor.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

JB-3 - You are clueless. Do you know what OPS is? His slugging average is probably .772. His OPS is somewhere over 1.200

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

In Response to Re: Lavarnway Again:
    [QUOTE]JB-3 - You are clueless. Do you know what OPS is? His slugging average is probably .772. His OPS is somewhere over 1.200
    Posted by ADG[/QUOTE]

JB-3 was referring to Salty

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

[QUOTE]JB-3 - You are clueless. Do you know what OPS is? His slugging average is probably .772. His OPS is somewhere over 1.200
    Posted by ADG[/QUOTE]

Lavarnway's OPS is currently a gaudy 1.216!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Lavarnway Again : Lavarnway's OPS is currently a gaudy 1.216!
    Posted by slomag[/QUOTE]

How often have we ever seen that from a prospect with over 120 AB at any level? Even Brentz didn't put that level of OPS in his huge burst this year with Greenville. Not even close.

My God, Lavarnway went 2for 3 again tonight with a double and another HR. The guy is en fuego!

I've got to go to Las Vegas tonight on business. Later guys! Tell Ryan to keep it up ok! He is so hot right now maybe they bring him up before September. The guy is scortching hot! Volcanic eruption hot. He's been unbelievable.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

Hey guys....William Jerez just signed for slot. Big news!

http://fullcount.weei.com/sports/boston/baseball/red-sox/2011/07/12/red-sox-sign-second-round-williams-jerez/

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

Jerez sure looks like a stud. Big signing and relatively cheap!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Lavarnway Again : JB-3 was referring to Salty
    Posted by slomag[/QUOTE]

Yep, my bad.  That post was right after Salty hit a HR.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

[QUOTE]Hey guys....William Jerez just signed for slot. Big news! http://fullcount.weei.com/sports/boston/baseball/red-sox/2011/07/12/red-sox-sign-second-round-williams-jerez/
    Posted by Boomerangsdotcom[/QUOTE]

Where have you been Boom?  This was news last week, he's already had 8 AB's (1 for 8).

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

Posted by ADG[/QUOTE]

Someone needs to take their medicine.....

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from thirtysomething. Show thirtysomething's posts

"Reddick is hitting around 240 in over 700 AAA at bats.  I don't know why he would turn into a ML 300 hitter."

Improved plate discipline, starting this April.

His .230 BA (a slump in May/June at AAA) was a fluke. As long as he swings at strikes, not balls, he ought to be able to hit .260-.280.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Lavarnway Again : Where have you been Boom?  This was news last week, he's already had 8 AB's (1 for 8).
    Posted by JB-3[/QUOTE]

Didn't see it! My bad!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Lavarnway Again : Didn't see it! My bad!
    Posted by Boomerangsdotcom[/QUOTE]

No worries.  The date of the article was in the link, I thought it was funny.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Lavarnway Again : Salty is 4th in OPS among AL Catchers.  At what point does he graduate from 4A?
    Posted by slomag[/QUOTE]

At this point, he's graduated; where's the cap & gown? 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from tbrod. Show tbrod's posts

Lavarnway did it again tonight!
    He hit a massive bomb to dead center.
    He made a great block of the plate, too.
    He's not as bad defensively as advertised. He's got a decent arm.
    The homers he hits are all bombs.
    I've been watching him since he got to Pawtucket, and he's very impressive.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from fenwayjack2. Show fenwayjack2's posts

In Response to Lavarnway Again:
    [QUOTE]Just wanted to let everyone know Lavarnway's line tonight in the Pawsox 4-1 win. AB - 3 R - 2 H - 3 2B - 1 HR - 1 RBI - 3 Average is now up to .381 SLUG = .721 OPS = 1.180
    Posted by ADG[/QUOTE]

Good trade bait for Beltran. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from fenwayjack2. Show fenwayjack2's posts

[QUOTE]"Reddick is hitting around 240 in over 700 AAA at bats.  I don't know why he would turn into a ML 300 hitter." Improved plate discipline, starting this April. His .230 BA (a slump in May/June at AAA) was a fluke. As long as he swings at strikes, not balls, he ought to be able to hit .260-.280.
    Posted by thirtysomething[/QUOTE]

The caliber of pitching in the major leagues really blows.  Lol. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Top catching OPS in MLB (2011 and over 150 PAs):
    (some of these guys have more PAs at other positions, so are not true catchers):
    1) Napoli     .923
    2) McCann  .894
    3) Hernandez  .878
    4) Avila  .872
    5) VMart .812 
    6) Santana .793
    7) Montero .787
    8) Iannetta .787
    9) Ramos  .763
    10) Salty   .758
    13) Vtek    .741
    19) Martin  .706

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter1. Show parhunter1's posts

It would have been ideal to bring Lavarnway up for a 3-day stint, if that little problem of the 40-man roster wasn't in the way.  At some point the Sox need to put Lavarnway on the 40-man, and possibly remove Exposito.  Hence, I too could see them trading Exposito.  Federowicz is the better defender anyway, and now looks like the better hitter.  But if you can get a body for him, it makes sense to do that rather than DFA the guy.

I wish the Sox could have capitalized on Lavarnway's hot streak.  Sometimes the streak carries over and the big club catches lightning in a bottle, while the youngster gains a world of confidence (which is sometimes the difference between being a successful big leaguer and a lifetime minor leaguer). 

Realistically, we will all have to wait until September, unless there is an injury.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

[QUOTE]It would have been ideal to bring Lavarnway up for a 3-day stint, if that little problem of the 40-man roster wasn't in the way.  At some point the Sox need to put Lavarnway on the 40-man, and possibly remove Exposito.  Hence, I too could see them trading Exposito.  Federowicz is the better defender anyway, and now looks like the better hitter.  But if you can get a body for him, it makes sense to do that rather than DFA the guy. I wish the Sox could have capitalized on Lavarnway's hot streak.  Sometimes the streak carries over and the big club catches lightning in a bottle, while the youngster gains a world of confidence (which is sometimes the difference between being a successful big leaguer and a lifetime minor leaguer).  Realistically, we will all have to wait until September, unless there is an injury.
    Posted by parhunter1[/QUOTE]

Then again, the opposite could happen, and that could stifle his momentum; if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from whosknockin. Show whosknockin's posts

G. W. Bush graduated from Yale, so I don't think that degree guarantees he has a brain.

22. This post has been removed.

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

[QUOTE]G. W. Bush graduated from Yale, so I don't think that degree guarantees he has a brain.
    Posted by whosknockin[/QUOTE]

There was likely a little Good Old Boy Pull involved for him to be accepted there.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

[QUOTE]Agreed. Barry Obama graduated from Columbia and Harvard Law school, and he doesn't even know how many United States there are, when speaking to the press corpse.
    Posted by billbyboy[/QUOTE]

It's likely he knows what side Paul Revere was on and whether Africa is a country, however.