Lavarnway at First

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from tripleb2066. Show tripleb2066's posts

Lavarnway at First

http://fenwayrefugees.com/posts/51234

This seems like an obvious thing to try. I would give him a look in left field too.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

Re: Lavarnway at First

Unless some unknown former great catcher decides to come back and takes Lavarnway's body over his trying to transform into a 1B man would be a good idea.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from antibody. Show antibody's posts

~

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

If he can transition to first base and rediscover the 25-30 HR power he showed prior to 2012, we might have something interesting on our hands.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazy-world-of-troybrown. Show crazy-world-of-troybrown's posts

People should check out his Minor League stats on Offense. Darn good hitter, he's been bounced from third base to Catcher, now 1st Baseman. Too many fans expect too much from kids.
    He has always hit. Even when learning new Position. I like Lavarnway.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Makes sense, bat could still be there and this gives them a depth option at 2 positions they are thin at. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

Would this make him "The next George Scott"?  Laughing

Actually, I like this move.  Lava is the prototypical 1B with limited range, what SHOULD be a good mitt, and good (potentiail) power. Besides, he has no future at catcher with what's in the pipeline, so why not?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

With Swihart and Vazquez on the rise, it makes most sense for Lava to move to 1B/DH.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

I would like to quote BurritoT from September 2011, January 2012, August 2012, January 2013, August 2013, and December 2013 -

"If I am the Sox I am throwing Lav a first-base-mans mitt immediately"

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxnewmex. Show soxnewmex's posts

Sometimes a great notion.  Southpaw has been saying this a while too.  Nothing like a first baseman who can fill in at catch if needed, especially with old catchers manning the position.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from wvwc61. Show wvwc61's posts

In response to tripleb2066's comment:
    [QUOTE]

This seems like an obvious thing to try. I would give him a look in left field too.

[/QUOTE]

Trade the guy. He stinks and can't run. You want him running around in LF when he can't run.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from tripleb2066. Show tripleb2066's posts

In response to wvwc61's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Trade the guy. He stinks and can't run. You want him running around in LF when he can't run.

[/QUOTE]

I said take a look in spring training, not the world series.  Did he play the outfield in college?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from dustcover. Show dustcover's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Anyone remember how Billy Beane took a former catcher off the hands of the Red Sox and immediately gave him a first baseman's mitt.  Said player had 4 very decent seasons with the A's and finished up with a couple of very good seasons with the Reds.

SCOTT HATTEBERG

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

YESSSSSSS, the redemption of BILL-806  !!!!   We need his bat for Fenway PAAAAK....  A HIGH-BREAD of Carlton Fisk & George Scott (Scott was mentioned above) ,   I love it, Ben really does pay attention to this board, DAD & BILL-806 !!!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from 37stories. Show 37stories's posts

High-bread?

And it isn't redemption. they are saying he isn't good enough to be a catcher. 

I see another Jeff Bailey.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

In response to 37stories' comment:
    [QUOTE]

High-bread?

And it isn't redemption. they are saying he isn't good enough to be a catcher. 

I see another Jeff Bailey.

[/QUOTE]

Agree. I don't see a great future for Lavarnway no matter where they play him.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

Lava should have been moved to first base at the beginning of last season........ it's pretty clear he is not a catcher, he doesn't seem fluid enough plus the preparation required for the position seems to have taken away from his biggest asset -his bat-

but i guess showing up late to the party is better than not showing up at all.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from garyhow. Show garyhow's posts

This move should have been made 2 years ago. He's not a catcher defensively.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazy-world-of-troybrown. Show crazy-world-of-troybrown's posts

In response to dustcover's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Anyone remember how Billy Beane took a former catcher off the hands of the Red Sox and immediately gave him a first baseman's mitt.  Said player had 4 very decent seasons with the A's and finished up with a couple of very good seasons with the Reds.

SCOTT HATTEBERG

[/QUOTE]

We got a Bingo, anybody check out 1st Baseman for Cards. Looks like a guard in the NFL, but he can hit.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

If you look at his UZR/150 last year he was an average defensive catcher. Too small a sample size for sure but he doesn't deserve the ridicule he gets. He hit .299 and was average defensively. That sounds like a real decent backup catcher to me. The guy has near zero chance as a 1st basemen. This is simply a way to make him a more useful sub. Adding value to his profile.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to RedsoxProspects' comment:
    [QUOTE]

If you look at his UZR/150 last year he was an average defensive catcher. Too small a sample size for sure but he doesn't deserve the ridicule he gets. He hit .299 and was average defensively. That sounds like a real decent backup catcher to me. The guy has near zero chance as a 1st basemen. This is simply a way to make him a more useful sub. Adding value to his profile.

[/QUOTE]

what makes you say that boom? first base is 100X easier to play than catcher.... and it will probably improve his bat due to not having to deal with the physical rigors  of catching and the mental preparation. I'd say he has a better chance of being a FT 1Bman than he does as a FT catcher..... hell, when Ross got injured last season it seemed like it was Lavas time to shine and they still started Salty virtually every day instead of him. that's pretty telling.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

His CERA has been consistently awful though.  It's clear the team has very little confidence in him as a catcher.  This was evidenced by how little he played last year when Ross was injured.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kingface12. Show Kingface12's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Agreed.  He had muliple chances to win the catching job and failed every time.  Now he has no position to play and he's floating in purgatory.  He is not the answer as our future 1baseman once Napps leaves or transitions to DH.  He is CERTAINLY not the answer in the field.  I just think this is a solid way to boost his trade value.  His value has taken a huge hit when he went from our most promising young power hitters to nothing more than a linedrive singles hitter.  I said it years ago....he should have been packaged a while ago when his stock was high and a ton of teams were looking for catchers. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

Let's face it.  One doesn't have to be an outstanding athlete to play 1B.  1B is at or near the bottom of the defensive spectrum.  I give you Prince Fielder as an example.  However, catching is a difficult position to play and if a player can be an average catcher (CERA excluded as it has little to do with defensive abilities) there's no reason to think he can't play a solid 1B.

However, if a team has an average 1B who can HIT there's a place for him.  (Again, Prince Fielder  - who has an unfortunate surname considering his fielding skills). In five of the last six years Lava has had MiLB OPS of ~.700 - .900 and there's every reason to think that an average defensive catcher would be above average at 1B with some work.

Given the fact that the Sox are notoriously thin at 1B I'd give Lava a trip to Pawtucket and a 1B mitt and see how it works out.  Low risk, high reward.  Whadda ya got to lose???

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

In response to crazy-world-of-troybrown's comment:
    [QUOTE]

People should check out his Minor League stats on Offense. Darn good hitter, he's been bounced from third base to Catcher, now 1st Baseman. Too many fans expect too much from kids.
    He has always hit. Even when learning new Position. I like Lavarnway.

[/QUOTE] B I N G O  DAT !!!

Sections
Shortcuts