Lavarnway Behind the Plate Tomorrow

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

Lavarnway Behind the Plate Tomorrow

Assuming Francona has a little bit of a brain left, Lavarnway should be catching tomorrow, etc. Nothing Salty or Varitek has done warrants their "better defense" to take precedence over Lavarnway's hitting. I haven't checked but has Lavarnway had more RBI's and HR's tonight than both of them comined over the last 3 weeks?

Just asking.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

Re: Lavarnway Behind the Plate Tomorrow

I don't think he embarrassed himself defensively either. The guy looks like the brightest star we've developed since Ellsbury to me. 32 HR last year in 435 AB? Those are not minor league numbers from a 28 year old former mlb player. Those are numbers from a 24 year old, who can probably catch. And he gets on base also.  

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BeaconHill19. Show BeaconHill19's posts

Does ADG know that Tek and Salty are injured?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In Response to Lavarnway Behind the Plate Tomorrow:
    [QUOTE]Assuming Francona has a little bit of a brain left, Lavarnway should be catching tomorrow, etc. Nothing Salty or Varitek has done warrants their "better defense" to take precedence over Lavarnway's hitting. I haven't checked but has Lavarnway had more RBI's and HR's tonight than both of them comined over the last 3 weeks? Just asking.
    Posted by ADG[/QUOTE]

Without a doubt let our future catcher play.  He shows patience and poise at the plate and  behind it.  He will only get better.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

Can we not be prisoner's of the moment and put Lavarnway in the Hall of FAme after one good game. 

I have no problem starting Lavarnway tomorrow, but let's not ignore how far Salty has come this year just because of a recent slump. Take all the passed balls away from Salty when he's caught Wake, and hasn't done too bad defensively. He has thrown out 31 percent of basestealers, which is veru good.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jrh1194. Show jrh1194's posts

Lavarnway has tremendous potential. Give the kid a chance.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

In Response to Re: Lavarnway Behind the Plate Tomorrow:
    [QUOTE]Can we not be prisoner's of the moment and put Lavarnway in the Hall of FAme after one good game.  I have no problem starting Lavarnway tomorrow, but let's not ignore how far Salty has come this year just because of a recent slump. Take all the passed balls away from Salty when he's caught Wake, and hasn't done too bad defensively. He has thrown out 31 percent of basestealers, which is veru good.
    Posted by royf19[/QUOTE]

The point is they aren't winning games this month with their pitching and fielding. And Salty is striking out 42% of the time this month and hitting less than .170.
    And Varitek is 1 for his last 30.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

The kid played well. Don't expect Salty to be out there tomorrow either.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from antiqueman1. Show antiqueman1's posts

[QUOTE]Can we not be prisoner's of the moment and put Lavarnway in the Hall of FAme after one good game.  I have no problem starting Lavarnway tomorrow, but let's not ignore how far Salty has come this year just because of a recent slump. Take all the passed balls away from Salty when he's caught Wake, and hasn't done too bad defensively. He has thrown out 31 percent of basestealers, which is veru good.
    Posted by royf19[/QUOTE]

Salty letting that throw to home on inside the parker last night was horrible. If he catches the ball the guy is out by a country mile. Nope. It goes right through him. Let the kids play.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BeaconHill19. Show BeaconHill19's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Lavarnway Behind the Plate Tomorrow : The point is they aren't winning games this month with their pitching and fielding. And Salty is striking out 42% of the time this month and hitting less than .170. And Varitek is 1 for his last 30.
    Posted by ADG[/QUOTE]

What were your thoughts about playing Lavarnway this morning? Try to answer without the 20-20 hat on your head?

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from jader. Show jader's posts

Francona made a comment on how powerful a bat the kid has when he came up. Did Terri let him show anything like maybe a spark for the team? NO! If you can't spot talent on your roster, its time to quit.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxPatsCelts1988. Show SoxPatsCelts1988's posts

Yeah Lavarnway is better than Montero and he actually plays catcher.

He's calm and cool.  Gotta have him in there.  He has the hot bat right now.  I like Salty, but Lavarnway might give him a run for his money.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Lavarnway Behind the Plate Tomorrow : The point is they aren't winning games this month with their pitching and fielding. And Salty is striking out 42% of the time this month and hitting less than .170. And Varitek is 1 for his last 30.
    Posted by ADG[/QUOTE]

And like I said, I have no problem with starting him tomorrow. But there's no guarantee he's a future All-Star catcher like some are annointing him. He had a nice minor league season and a couple of nice games at the plate. 

Just keep it in perspective. Until the last couple of weeks, Salty has had a nice season and shows a lot of promise as a future catcher because he has done it at the major league level.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BeaconHill19. Show BeaconHill19's posts

[QUOTE]You'll have a couple of 3rd shifters coming on soon, saying he should DH.
    Posted by bobbysu[/QUOTE]

Third Shifters at the Globe. Are two shifters using the Harness moniker? My guess is yes and do not believe that Burrito lives in Cambodia.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

This thread is liable to turn Lavarnway into softy's next Jake.

Geeeeeshhhhh!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from tbrod. Show tbrod's posts

Love this guy!
    Watched him at Pawtucket, and he was McGwire like, with the bombs he hit.
    Good hitter, very patient.
    What impressed me was, he showed a good accurate arm, and in the key play in the 9th, kept his poise.
    I don't know. He's looked good to me at AAA defensively. Could he be the victim of a bad rap during his earlier minor league career?
    He looks less shakey and better than Salty, to me.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from BeaconHill19. Show BeaconHill19's posts

[QUOTE]Love this guy! Watched him at Pawtucket, and he was McGwire like, with the bombs he hit. Good hitter, very patient. What impressed me was, he showed a good accurate arm, and in the key play in the 9th, kept his poise. I don't know. He's looked good to me at AAA defensively. Could he be the victim of a bad rap during his ealier minor league career? He looks less shakey and better than Salty, to me.
    Posted by tbrod[/QUOTE]

Normally you subscribe to the Softlaw code of hype and irrational exuberance. What happened. Did you just have a good fill of Lasagne and Chianti? Did J-Bay have a good night?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from peanutandme. Show peanutandme's posts

Why does anyone have to try compare Lavarnway to Montero?

Each are different, play on different, and in no way are they competing with each other. Let each player create his own niche and help their respective teams.

The Yankee's I'm sure are very happy with Montero, and the Sox feel the same way towards Lavarnway. And if they changed teams witheach other then again each team and their fans would again be happy.

Let's forget for now at least the notion that our player is better just because they play for our team. Two years from now will be plenty of time to compare.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

[QUOTE]Francona made a comment on how powerful a bat the kid has when he came up. Did Terri let him show anything like maybe a spark for the team? NO! If you can't spot talent on your roster, its time to quit.
    Posted by jader[/QUOTE]

And this is why he will be fired in a few days.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Lavarnway Behind the Plate Tomorrow : And like I said, I have no problem with starting him tomorrow. But there's no guarantee he's a future All-Star catcher like some are annointing him. He had a nice minor league season and a couple of nice games at the plate.  Just keep it in perspective. Until the last couple of weeks, Salty has had a nice season and shows a lot of promise as a future catcher because he has done it at the major league level.
    Posted by royf19[/QUOTE]

That wasn't said was it? The point is to go with someone who's better than the two alternatives who have been at best, awful.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Lavarnway Behind the Plate Tomorrow : That wasn't said was it? The point is to go with someone who's better than the two alternatives who have been at best, awful.
    Posted by ADG[/QUOTE]

Who's arguing that? I was agreeing with you.

In my first post, I was responding to all the different comments on him so I don't know what your beef is.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Lavarnway Behind the Plate Tomorrow : That wasn't said was it? The point is to go with someone who's better than the two alternatives who have been at best, awful.
    Posted by ADG[/QUOTE]

I'm not defending Tito, but the word was this kid was not ready to catch. 
    Hit yes. Catch no.

You are right, our catchers were awful in September, but we'll still end up with about the 10th best team OPS from the catcher slot. That's better than expected in April, and certainly on May 1st.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from rsinsider. Show rsinsider's posts

And if he goes 0-4 tomorrow with a couple key passed balls the same people will come back and blast Tito for starting a rookie with ZERO big league experience at catcher ........

So extreme!!! I would feel much better with Tek or Salty to start tomorrow with the kid's bat coming of the bench!!!!!

To claim that Lavarnway is "better" than the other alternatives after his tiny sample would be silly  ......not saying he is or isn't its just WAY to EARLY to tell!!!!!!

Sections
Shortcuts