Lavarnway Behind the Plate Tomorrow

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmini. Show mrmini's posts

Re: Lavarnway Behind the Plate Tomorrow

LISTEN!!!! LAVERNWAY HAS BEEN SITTING ON THE BENCH SINCE SEPT 5 AND
    WE HAVE BEEN SCREAMING FOR A RIGHT HANDED BAT. DID FRANCONA TAKE CREDIT FOR PUTTING HIM IN THE LINE UP. I HOPE NOT BECAUSE HE WAS FORCED TO. IT WAS HIM OR ESPOSITO. FRANCOA IS A MORON AND MOST OF US KNOW IT.
    THIS MAY BE HIS LAST GAME AND THAT WOULD SUIT ME FINE . I HAVE BEEN A RS FAN FOR 67 YRS AND HE IS ONE OF THE WORSE,, IF NOT THE WORSE.

2. This post has been removed.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

In Response to Re: Lavarnway Behind the Plate Tomorrow:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Lavarnway Behind the Plate Tomorrow : Did you bother to look up lavarnway's numbers vs RHPs? (His 2 dingers last night were off lefties) I think he's near .230-.235ish. (Sidenote: I'm all for using Lavarnway tonight. I just think we should not judge one guy for certain stats, but ignore that the other has equally bad similar stats vs RHPs.)
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]

I don't know about career, but at Pawtucket this year, while he crushed lefties, Lavarnway was still very good against righties - .270 with a .912 OPS in 174 ABs.  He seemed to be fine defensively - great compared to his reputation.  I'd rather have a healthy Salty out there, but if that's not an option, Lavarnway is fine by me.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In Response to Lavarnway Behind the Plate Tomorrow:
    Assuming Francona has a little bit of a brain left, Lavarnway should be catching tomorrow, etc. Nothing Salty or Varitek has done warrants their "better defense" to take precedence over Lavarnway's hitting. I haven't checked but has Lavarnway had more RBI's and HR's tonight than both of them comined over the last 3 weeks? Just asking.
    Posted by ADG

Ryan is behind the plate tonight it was confirmed this morinng.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from emp9. Show emp9's posts

The HERD was ripping on the SOX this morning. Talking about how the SOX are all done because look who they had to depend on: A rookie/AAA catcher named LaVARNway. Herd said there's no leaders on this team, blah blah blah.

Meanwhile I'm thinking.Hmm... Now that's a twist!

For a team that has some questionable, ML player-ready depth. Sox show they have a little more depth than people thought and now it's somehow laughable and meaningless when it shows-up in a big way... in a big game. Maybe because his first name isn't Jesus? I don't know? Is it because he's isn't making $20Mil a year? No, that can't be it. You can't have that argument both ways. I agree with Roy and Moon that it's a small sample size, but I can't ignore what EllsBURY did in '07 (and that work-out pretty well). He wasn't a household name either. Not saying that the equivalent of that will come to fruition. But. Why is it, that in ANY other sport, it's the epitome of what sports is all about. ANY other team, that's what it's all about. The Red Sox have a nice little moment, a much needed moment, an overdue moment, and all of a sudden I'm supposed to feel bad about that in some way?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

The guy is not all beat up like Salty and Tek. He's relatively fresh. Thats a significant factor this time of year.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Dixfield. Show Dixfield's posts

This no-brainer will prove once and for all if the term applies to Tito.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from soups. Show soups's posts

If Lavarnway hadn't been robbed by a spectacular catch, he'd have had 7 RBIs last night.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from CTJake14. Show CTJake14's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Lavarnway Behind the Plate Tomorrow : Ryan is behind the plate tonight it was confirmed this morinng.
    Posted by craze4sox[/QUOTE]

source?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

[QUOTE]The HERD was ripping on the SOX this morning. Talking about how the SOX are all done because look who they had to depend on: A rookie/AAA catcher named LaVARNway. Herd said there's no leaders on this team, blah blah blah. Meanwhile I'm thinking. Hmm... Now that's a twist! For a team that has some questionable, ML player-ready depth. Sox show they have a little more depth than people thought and now it's somehow laughable and meaningless when it shows-up in a big way... in a big game. Maybe because his first name isn't Jesus? I don't know? Is it because he's isn't making $20Mil a year? No, that can't be it. You can't have that argument both ways. I agree with Roy and Moon that it's a small sample size, but I can't ignore what Ells BURY did in '07 ( and that work-out pretty well ). He wasn't a household name either. Not saying that the equivalent of that will come to fruition. But. Why is it, that in ANY other sport, it's the epitome of what sports is all about. ANY other team, that's what it's all about. The Red Sox have a nice little moment, a much needed moment, an overdue moment, and all of a sudden I'm supposed to feel bad about that in some way?
    Posted by emp9[/QUOTE]

Earlier this season, Lavarnway had the best two months offensively of any player at any level in baseball.  Baseball America has Lavarnway listed as the catcher of its minor-league All-star team.  It seems like a guy who makes his living talking sports should know his name... or find another job.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac32. Show pinstripezac32's posts

wow

Lavarnway is batting 5th tonight

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from aussiewill. Show aussiewill's posts

They do not win last night, without lavarnway, he was the star of the game. Tito has to start him in #162.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from CTJake14. Show CTJake14's posts

wow Lavarnway is batting 5th tonight
    Posted by pinstripezac32

again.  source?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from CTJake14. Show CTJake14's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Lavarnway Behind the Plate Tomorrow : again.  source?
    Posted by CTJake14[/QUOTE]

Nvr mind.  I see it now.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerof67. Show summerof67's posts

Wow is right, zac. 

Yowza.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from promise4you. Show promise4you's posts

Im All for "LAYWAY" (that long name is killing me someone give him a nickname please) starting tonight, I think it's a great move, you have the 2 regulars beat to death and they are tired you can see it. What we all forget is how bad the sox staff has been for a whole month and how long the games have been on our two regulars, these guys are beat, physically! Let the kid play, i think the lift he gave them last night was perfect, you could see the emotion in the dugout when he hit his first homer, he may be the fire they need right now. And for those who question his defense (and Im an old squatter) tell me where he looked bad one time last night? He got shook off a few times, but that is expected.
    Lets not forget he is a kid and dont bash him if he does not have 2 homers again tonight!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from trouts. Show trouts's posts

The rap on Lavarnway was his defense but I thought he handled himself really well behind the plate last night. He just seemed to have a poise beyond his years. If we make the playoffs I'd start him ahead of Salty, who looks totally done in. I know he's thrown out a bunch of runners (31%) but his hitting has fallen off badly in september and his plate discipline is almost as bad as Crawford"s.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

Promise, I think we should call him "Moose" because he's huge and he can "Rake"!

He's not having a good game tonight ....yet!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from rsinsider. Show rsinsider's posts

[QUOTE]And if he goes 0-4 tomorrow with a couple key passed balls the same people will come back and blast Tito for starting a rookie with ZERO big league experience at catcher ........ So extreme!!! I would feel much better with Tek or Salty to start tomorrow with the kid's bat coming of the bench!!!!! To claim that Lavarnway is "better" than the other alternatives after his tiny sample would be silly  ......not saying he is or isn't its just WAY to EARLY to tell!!!!!!
    Posted by rsinsider[/QUOTE]

0-5 9 men left on in the biggest game of the season !!!! What was Tito thinking starting a rookie with ZERO big league experience at catcher!!!!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from aussiewill. Show aussiewill's posts

It took the O's one game to figure out you jam lavarnway, make sure you get it inside , he will swing at it. Then hook down and away, end of story. He will adjust, he actually should have by now. You need a hitting coach, first to point these things out. It is after all Rocket Science.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from rsinsider. Show rsinsider's posts

0-5.... 9 men LOB .......Agon walked intentionally THREE TIMES !!!! Great call guys!!!!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

Is it not true that this last game would not have mattered if Lavarway had not won the game for us the night before?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from OnDeckCircle. Show OnDeckCircle's posts

Varitek needs to retire and replace the useless Curt Young as the pitching coach.   Many other former catchers have been good pitching coaches.
    Lavarnway should share catching time with a serviceable catcher not named Saltalamaccia until Lavarnway is comfortable as the No. 1 catcher.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from splendidsplinterteddyballgame. Show splendidsplinterteddyballgame's posts

They absolutely should have pinched hit for him in the 9th with a LH batter.  DP killed them.  Of course, if Big Papi had come through before that it wouldn't have mattered as much.

Sections
Shortcuts