Lavarnway Behind the Plate Tomorrow

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Re: Lavarnway Behind the Plate Tomorrow

roy, I was a big Salty fan for a while, and then his overall defense with everyone has hit the skids and his bat has gone into the tank, Rob Deer style. Maybe it's too early to assassinate Mr. Salta, but lest not forget that only a year ago he was basically not good enough to be in MLB on the Rangers roster because of throwing issues to the pitcher. Maybe he's feeling it--the pressure of a pennant race.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from lftsaw7878. Show lftsaw7878's posts

Since the Sox problem of late has been starting pitching... Tito should start V-Tek, who is by far the best at getting the most out of his pitchers this season. Putting a sub-par catcher who the shaky starting staff feels no confidence in would be silly at this time of year. Look at the BoSox record when Tek catches and that's all you need to know about who should be behind the plate 2morrow.

3. This post has been removed.

4. This post has been removed.

5. This post has been removed.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from 1958lesspaul. Show 1958lesspaul's posts

I called for Lavarnway to take Varitek's place back a month before roster expansion. Varitek has been washed up for over 2 years.

This team needed a monumental chage of face and narrative. Lavarnway provided that tonight. Salty and Varitek were almost auto-outs, and became the face of losers in September. Salty can at least throw well, though his catching the ball and agility are quite poor. Whether there is one more game or several more games, Lavarnway should be starting until he cools off. He is the new face that was needed on a team that took on the face of losers everytime they looked at each other take the field.

It also would help this team if Wakefield and Varitek would announce their retirements before tonmorrow night's game.

For the bean counting pitching, Wakefield ceremonial early coast and caution mode and Crawford and Lackey contracts alone, Epstein needs to be fired!

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

It's not like our catchers have hit for a long time, and it's not like they have had much positive impact on the pitching staff either. Maybe at this point in the season LAvarnway has more to give this team. He sure looked like a step up tonight.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

To me it kind of looks like Lavarnaway can give the team the kind of spark that Ells did in 2007, provided they make the postseason. The 2 dingers tonight sure didn't hurt the cause any.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

I am fairly certain when Ortiz was hurting I asked why not bat Lavarnway 5th, but Tito barely used him and burried him deep down in Crawfordland's part of the line-up.

We probalby should sit Lavarnway tomorow so we can benefit from Tek's CERA ability,

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from tang1. Show tang1's posts

In Response to Re: Lavarnway Behind the Plate Tomorrow:
    [QUOTE]To me it kind of looks like Lavarnaway can give the team the kind of spark that Ells did in 2007, provided they make the postseason. The 2 dingers tonight sure didn't hurt the cause any.
    Posted by carnie[/QUOTE]

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from tang1. Show tang1's posts

I  agaree , coco crisp was killing the team, ells replaced him and hit over 400 b.a. this kid cant be any worse then what we are going thru in this sept. the pitchers e.r.a has been awful with both tec and salty, its time to see if this kid can give us a jump start, and let are pitchers get out of the 3
    rd inning.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Red-Sox-Nation-Netherlands. Show Red-Sox-Nation-Netherlands's posts

When all is the same I would start Tek or Salty over Lavarnway. But it's been a long season for both of em. Tek looked like he had trouble even walking in the dug out. Salty has never caught a full season so he's worn out as well. Start the fresh hungry kid!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from HarryAgganis. Show HarryAgganis's posts

Has anyone seen Lavarnway & Roy Hobbs in the same room at the same time?!

Bravo indeed. Perhaps Team Lazarus will rise from the dead.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxmeister. Show soxmeister's posts

So, the most important game of the season, a hot kid behind the plate ... or two guys who are hurting, and who have not played good defense or hit as of late.

Last game.  Call it.   The OP did not say Lavarnway was a super star.  But he DID save the season.

God forbid we get excited over a great performance, the living dread come out to pummel anything good that happens to the Sox.  

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Camelwalk. Show Camelwalk's posts

Yeah Lavarnway is better than Montero and he actually plays catcher. He's calm and cool.  Gotta have him in there.  He has the hot bat right now.  I like Salty, but Lavarnway might give him a run for his money.
    Posted by SoxPatsCelts1988

NOT if you go by actual stats....Montero is better.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Lavarnway Behind the Plate Tomorrow : Salty letting that throw to home on inside the parker last night was horrible. If he catches the ball the guy is out by a country mile. Nope. It goes right through him. Let the kids play.
    Posted by antiqueman1[/QUOTE]

I still don't understand how that was ruled a HR...it was a triple and an error......

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from pschuller. Show pschuller's posts

Is Baltimore's starter a righty? The Manager doesn't like that righty righty thing, no matter how hot a guy is. Will probably want Salty's lefty bat and will probably play that useless Drew again. Needed to be tied with 2 games left for The Manager to have a sense of urgency, but he could lose it at any time and go back to Sit and Spit!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

[QUOTE]Is Baltimore's starter a righty? The Manager doesn't like that righty righty thing, no matter how hot a guy is. Will probably want Salty's lefty bat and will probably play that useless Drew again. Needed to be tied with 2 games left for The Manager to have a sense of urgency, but he could lose it at any time and go back to Sit and Spit!
    Posted by pschuller[/QUOTE]

Really? Since 9/15, Salty is 3/33, 0 HR, 1 RBI, and has K'd 15 times. You want that bat in the lineup. He's only hitting .247 against righties, with a 37% strikeout ratio. He can't hit anyone right now.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Lavarnway Behind the Plate Tomorrow : Really? Since 9/15, Salty is 3/33, 0 HR, 1 RBI, and has K'd 15 times. You want that bat in the lineup. He's only hitting .247 against righties, with a 37% strikeout ratio. He can't hit anyone right now.
    Posted by ADG[/QUOTE]

Did you bother to look up lavarnway's numbers vs RHPs?
    (His 2 dingers last night were off lefties)

I think he's near .230-.235ish.

(Sidenote: I'm all for using Lavarnway tonight. I just think we should not judge one guy for certain stats, but ignore that the other has equally bad similar stats vs RHPs.)

22. This post has been removed.

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from sinjin5000. Show sinjin5000's posts

If nothing else happens I think the RS found a gem, Lavarnway looks like the real thing,

2 hr, and he guns down a runner going to 3rd, plus his game calling wasn't bad either. he should get a real chance next year to be  the starting catcher. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerof67. Show summerof67's posts

Can we teach him to play 3B? Should we?