Lavarnway Behind the Plate

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from charliedarling. Show charliedarling's posts

Lavarnway Behind the Plate

I realize that none of us have seen a lot of Lavarnway behind the plate yet, but it may be time to see what this kid has.  He needs to play about 70% of the games the rest of the way to give the entire organization a good look at him so that plans can be made for next season.

Although I have not seen him throw anyone out yet, he certainly looks like he can catch a ball from any of the pitchers that have been on the mound when he is catching. 

I do not see any excessive "shaking off his calls" so I guess he is "calling 
    a good game" and he is not afraid to head out to the mound at times when a pitcher is struggling.  He even went out twice today to talk to Lester.

He has not hit well yet (although he nearly decapitated the pitcher today), but will probably hit better with the more at bats he gets.  He, at least, has not looked one bit overwhelmed behind the plate which says a lot for a guy who was supposed to be defensively weak.

Saltalamacchia is just too lost at the plate for the last 6 weeks to still get first string playing time, in my opinion.   A 35% strikeout rate is just not acceptable even if he has 20 HRs to date.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxnewmex. Show soxnewmex's posts

Re: Lavarnway Behind the Plate

Lava is the man alright.  He'll hit and hit well, and he'll be an excellent defensive cathcer as well.  I know he has to play and show it; if he given a chance to play, I've no doubt he'll show it.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

In Response to Lavarnway Behind the Plate:
    [QUOTE]I realize that none of us have seen a lot of Lavarnway behind the plate yet, but it may be time to see what this kid has.  He needs to play about 70% of the games the rest of the way to give the entire organization a good look at him so that plans can be made for next season.
    Maybe 50/50 at best.

Although I have not seen him throw anyone out yet, he certainly looks like he can catch a ball from any of the pitchers that have been on the mound when he is catching.   
    God I hope he can catch pitches from anyone on the mound!!!!!

I do not see any excessive "shaking off his calls" so I guess he is "calling  a good game" and he is not afraid to head out to the mound at times when a pitcher is struggling.  He even went out twice today to talk to Lester.
    IMO Chances are the game is being called from the dugout and the trips out were called by Lester or the dugout

He has not hit well yet (although he nearly decapitated the pitcher today), but will probably hit better with the more at bats he gets. 
    True I hope

He, at least, has not looked one bit overwhelmed behind the plate which says a lot for a guy who was supposed to be defensively weak.
    You can not tell much from watching a game on TV. BTW the guy probably helping him the most is Salty

Saltalamacchia is just too lost at the plate for the last 6 weeks to still get first string playing time, in my opinion. A 35% strikeout rate is just not acceptable even if he has 20 HRs to date.
    Posted by charliedarling
    FYI there are a few players who have more Ks with similar averages and are considered very good players---Granderson 147, Pena 146, Napoli 108
    [/QUOTE]

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from rickerd2. Show rickerd2's posts

I'm all for giving him the majority of the starts the rest of the way.  See what he's got, what adjustments he can make to different situations.  Why not?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from traven. Show traven's posts

Lavarnway was voted the best defensive catcher in the Internation League this year and his offensive stats were pretty good too...so time to give him a fair shot at becoming the Sox frontline catcher. 

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Remember, Derek Jeter won the 2009 Gold Glove.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I'm all for giving him a chance, but don't compare learning 2B to learning how to catch and handle a pitching staff.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In Response to Re: Lavarnway Behind the Plate:
    [QUOTE]I'm all for giving him a chance, but don't compare learning 2B to learning how to catch and handle a pitching staff.
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]

exactly Moon. Much harder to become a good quality MLB catcher. Lav still needs a little work on blocking pitches as he let a couple that he should have got get by him yesterday, one resulting in Swisher taking 2nd base. Hes improved his defense a lot in the last year and Im sure he will only get better.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

We know he can hit---just like management knew Pedroia could hit and had the confidence in him to stick with him. I hope Lav makes contact regularly.

In 2011 in 39 games he struck out about every 4 at bats.

In 2012 in 28 games he is striking out about every 5 at bats.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In Response to Re: Lavarnway Behind the Plate:
    [QUOTE]We know he can hit---just like management knew Pedroia could hit and had the confidence in him to stick with him. I hope Lav makes contact regularly. In 2011 in 39 games he struck out about every 4 at bats. In 2012 in 28 games he is striking out about every 5 at bats.
    Posted by MadMc44[/QUOTE]

Also remember, MM, that when a catcher is working hard on his defense, his offense usually suffers a bit. Im sure both Salty and Lav's offensive numbers should rise next year...
    They are both known for their hitting, with Lav being the better of the two. I think salty's offense has suffered the last couple years due to him working hard to improve his D and his increased workload since coming to the Sox. My hope is both revisit their offense this offseason and come back as more complete catchers/ballplayers in 2013.
    I think a platoon of Salty and Lav for 2013 would be the best duo in MLB.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

Southpaw, I'm sure you are right--carrying a .107  into tonight's nationally televised game, might make him the brunt of a few comments from the ESPN announcers. He's a smart enough guy to know a 2 for 4 or a few games  with a hit or more will move his numbers quickly.

If he does well defensively they can carry him until he get's in a groove.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from traven. Show traven's posts

This is basically a tanked year for the Sox anyway...so what harm in letting him showcase his skills either for trade bait later or as the Sox regular catcher.  Salty's HR total will attract a lot of attention if the Sox decide to trade him.

15. This post has been removed.